Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's speculate about the future of CRPGs

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
xjttiDc.jpg

Alright so we got all these Kickstarters and shit...
Then what?

VR and pleb consoles kill the niche gaming market and we must wait for another reboot?

Nerds don't procreate enough so there's not enough of a market for CRPGs – the genre dies a natural death?

Will someone ever release a worthy successor to Neverwinter Night's toolset and spawn a new era of mod making? Could it be the next big thing?

Will we see Baldur's Gate 3 before we see Half-life 3?

Will Bethesda release the next TES as the ultimate VR hiking simulator? Or possible Fallout 4?

throw2.jpg
!!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I see a tall dark stranger!

You have a lot on your mind at the moment...

You recently went through a harrowing experience?

You are at a cross roads and are unsure which path to take.

Wait, I can hear something, it's a female's voice, Marjory? Marge? Margaret? She says not to worry, she didn't mind ~

It's clouding over, the spirits are leaving us, there's nothing more I can help you with

hivemind

>Nerds don't procreate enough
The amount of daily posts on this forum speaks otherwise.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Nerds don't procreate enough, so we'll be able to afford emerging technologies that make us effectively immortal. We'll spend eternity complaining about decline and waiting for Grimoire.

Xorazm

Cipher
Man you guys hate things so much you hate things that haven't even been conceived of yet.

:Flash:

Arcane
All the AAA stuff will go VR. As will Otherside.
Then we'll see whether enough of a niche market remains to come up with anything productive.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think stream oyua shit will be made workable. And it will kill pc gaming. Closed gardens all the way down baby.
Enjoy the rent model on your 5000 hours grind bores.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I've seen the future. Google purchases Kickstarter and redefines the company as an overarching publisher with crowdsourced investors. Soon, all games "published" by Kickstarter will need to implement a Steam-like DRM frontend which is logged into through a Google+ account. Kickstarter stops accepting anything short of AAA quality, as the returns aren't worth their time. Kickstarter now being part of the Google business strategy, they start to buy out and strong-arm smaller crowdfunding sites into non-existence. Independent developers no longer have a hub to manage their funding campaigns.

It all goes back to the way things were. Hopefully one of Jeff Vogel's daughters will step in to fill the void after he succumbs to dementia.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The future? Actual cRPG's will be made through Kickstarter, and that's about it.

AAA Devs/Publishers will continue to churn out shitty action games.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I think that we can at least expect one sequel to Original Sin, one or two sequels to Eternity, one sequel to some either Wasteland 2 or Torment, and at least one good RPG from Harebrained not counting the upcoming Honk Kong. Bethesda will probably release more Oblivion style games as they have no reason nor talent to do any better. I don't know about Bioware but if the EA cycle is any indicator they will release either one or two shit games that will infuriate everyone including their fanboys and then they'll get shut-down by EA.

With any lock at least one game in the next five years will become a great BG2 or Troika tier classic. I bet on the game Obisidan will decide to do after PoE.

Alchemist

Arcane
VR becomes the next big thing, and Bioware partners with Fleshlight to offer alien and elven genitalia for their ultimate VR romance simulator experience.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Fallout Online bankrupts Bethesda, Zeninax stocks tank, Interplay 3.0 reclaims the Fallout IP and releases true Fallout 3 the greatest cRPG ever. Codex is rewarded for its loyalty.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I predict the new DECLINE. It will be even harsher than previous one. And it will last few decades.

But then you will die, thus you'll be freed from your pain.

So, in the end it won't be that bad.

Whiran

Magister
Every five years or so a couple of really good CRPGs will come out.

The rest will be bland.

Many will be bad.

Same old.

nikolokolus

Arcane
At some point ten years from now the following sentence will appear on The Codex, "It's too bad we can't get an old-skool RPG like Skyrim these days."

Telengard

Arcane
  1. Once VR hits, "RPG" will be redefined as Roleplaying Game Character Simulator, and Bethesda will rocket to the forefront of the new games industry, while all other RPG makers are left in the dust.
  2. Bethesda's Oceansrim and Fallout V will each sell over 100 million copies, making them the two best-selling games of all time, even beating out COD by almost double. But they will soon after be eclipsed by Real Virtual Date Rape - the Game with its special "resistance" rumble shock controller pack.
  3. Regular rpgs and anything with necessary icons for characters, even all the Diablo clones, will be laughed at as being outdated and stupid.
  • But eventually, it will be revealed that excessive VR use causes Macular Degeneration, thus finally proving that old saw that too much masturbation makes you go blind. And a few years after that, those people who suffer headaches from VR and thus never adopted it, they will become the only functioning members of society.
The End

Every five years or so a couple of really good CRPGs will come out.

The rest will be bland.

Many will be bad.

Same old.
Well just one caveat: Do you play a game with billions or millions or thousands or hundreds of players?

Yes you heard me right!! There wil be games with billions of sold units. This will be a distant time, but not unrecognizeable. Maybe when people are reguarly WORKING in earht orbit ,perhaps ferrying themselves there via space elevators. There will be flights to the moon at this time because there'll be a few colonies deep in the regolith. The move into space is pivotal, as humans were growing weary on their home planet. Slowly they overcome fears of AGW and steroid impact, as they now feel more confident, knowing they're spread out into other places and have much better observations. And these games will be simple and easy to find on their portable computer. I won't speculate what the portable computer will be because it could beanything.

This isn't far fetched in my mind. Some games have already sold upwards of 30 million units. Nintendo sold 99.4 million of its gaming console by the end of 2012. Population wil reach almost 10 billion by 2050. All that's needd are some success stories and some popular software depots. Keep in mind more and more children are having access to computers. There're perhaps billions more potential consumers entering intothe gaming industry in the coming years as quality of life increases.

God knows what kind of unkowns will occur. I myself w)ould not be surpised if a few nurtured AIs have rights.

It wil be as it has always been. The error is anybody thinks anything is new. It's not new, just dressed up differently. Everything rhymes. There's mainstreams and smaller nichestreams. Doesn't matter what form it all takes.

As long as people desire freedom and manage to find some of it, this will continue.

Last edited:
Ok, I am going to buck the trend and actually stay optimistic. Some years ago, in the middle of the decline, I thought that things would become better in the future based on looking at other entertainment media. Whether you look at literature, movies or television, the same general model repeats itself: a mainstream market that produces terrible dumbed down shit and dominates in terms of numbers and profits, and then healthy niche markets, some of which are aimed at more sophisticated tastes. I still don't see any reason why video games will not turn out that same way. The problem was that in early 2000s, everything changed up, huge new target audiences appeared (console gamers, casuals) and all the companies felt compelled to chase after them, often to their own detriment. But now, things have settled down somewhat, and you have your mainstream (the EAs, Ubisofts, Activisions, etc) producing yearly shit for the masses, and that market is very saturated and competitive. On the other hand, the niche markets such hardcore RPGs are underserved. At some point this might lead certain companies (small and medium sized especially) to target it and choose to become a large fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in the sea.

Some other things that will help that trend along (servicing niche markets) are things like Kickstarter, Steam Greenlight/Early Acess, and cheaper, more wide available and more powerful third party tools. The last one is particularly important, in my opinion, as most of the cost of making these games comes from having to do unnecessary work (build your own engine, produce your own art assets, etc). Sure, every once in a while someone will do really nice things with engine, but for most companies its a huge resource sink without providing any tangible benefits. If they could use an out of the box engine with tons of customizable functionality, this would be huge in terms of driving down costs and making RPG development feasible for smaller companies and even individuals. And then you get to even more advanced stuff down the road, like perhaps procedural voice generation for dialogue, procedural art, and so on.

So because of these things, I do think we may have gotten over the worst of the decline, and will see more interesting games in the future, whether from smaller development teams like Obsidian or Warhorse, or even individual developers. But on the other hand, to me the future of cRPGs does not lie in the past either. Games like Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, PoE, Torment capitalized on people's longing for old school gameplay, but in the future, I expect the RPGs to be more innovative and try to break new ground. I don't want another Fallout 1 or Planescape: Torment or Gothic 2, I want games that are as much a step forward from those as those were from the games before them. And I think we will see cRPGs (and games in general) capitalizing more on the full potential of the medium, going more procedural to present complex simulations where C&C doesn't mean choosing among 3 developer created choices, but twiddling with any of the myriad of aspects of the simulation and having it organically affect the rest of the game. Or developing completely new in-game systems to replace age-old conventions. There are a lot of things developers can do, a lot of innovations they can make as long as passionate people can get their hands on tools cheap enough to allow them to implement their vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom