Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Take a trip to the Outer Worlds

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm surprised you didn't killed Ernst.

And I felt that the voice of the guy with the bowler hat is at odds with his appearance and dialogue, too refined and smooth.

RK47

Patron
So far everything feels so damn artificial.
And when they start droning about 'company' stuff it sounds more like 'Mickey Mouse' chatter in Disneyland instead of something to be concerned about.
Maybe I'm just tired after Stygian but I found everyone in TOW so far to be mildly insufferable.

577b6ddc-9e3b-4da9-ad31-7d0b6dabb435.png

Dog: Pls take me outside instead.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Ok come meet the good gals... :lol:

They're so nice to you.
How can I possibly side with evil Mr. Tobson?
Thoughts? I am thoroughly unimpressed so far. Obsidian doesn't make a very compelling setting of Outer Worlds.

RK47

Patron

:lol: I should've shot her.

Anyway, who do you think we should side with? Granny Goodness or Bad Bossman?

I cant wait for the mods for some exposing flesh clothes to exchange for this space suit shiet~

which ladies...do u want to see... naked so far? :lol:

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
In this video, let's listen to what the people of Edgewater has to say about their current situation.
I'm sorry I can't put the comments in the video, cause I'm kinda pressed for time. I'll watch the video again and type my thoughts out in the spoiler.

After listening to them for half an hour, I can conclude that they all probably drank the Kool Aid.
Even down to religion.
It's such a shame that most of the extreme pursuit of corporate interests seem to be written in a lighthearted manner.
Talking to Reed Tobson made me think this man has brain damage instead of a man who lied to himself so much till he believed in the lie as absolute truth. There's nothing sinister. Just a child-like belief in the System. You can act horrified, but there's no way to challenge him and make him admit he's wrong.

It would be really interesting if we can actually dig deeper into what made him think this way. But there doesn't seem to be a way to pinpoint it. It is almost as if the denizens of Edgewater are pre-programmed NPCs who never broke down from their corporate scripting ever since landfall. The ones that did ran to the Deserters' side and colored their hair differently. :lol:

Parvati ... seems like to be a person who is in the verge of being 'broken in' by the system. And somehow meeting the player you can either 'let her break or fix her'. That's my impression so far anyway.
Problem is, I just feel the game doesn't have enough setup to justify why I should care about the corporations' welfare aside from a bigger paycheck. Even then, talking to Reed he never really mention a price. I recall in FNV most quest givers would state a price. They'd go 'I can't give you much, but my cause is very important' or 'Here are a X (lot of caps), but don't ask too many questions.' That kinda create the nuance between the two.

But in Edgewater, we're dealing with two factions who are struggling to make ends meet, Edgewater needs Spacer's Choice to survive. While the deserters has established 'independence'. Who is actually the stronger side here?
Thoughts?

RK47

Patron
There's not much to say about this video except it's a classic -go there-kill-return - you can skip it prolly. It's just optional side quest killing 3 named for loot, exp and cash.

I just want to say the design choice of adding red triangle and name plate is probably to make players able to make out the targets among the crazy saturated colors.
I can't imagine people playing this on console can use their gamepad to point their guns fast enough without these aid.

There's also a shitload of consumables in this game. And some only lasts 30 sec - and I cannot seem to find a way to hotkey them. Any help is appreciated thanks.

RK47

Patron
This time another sidequest -

One wonders why I can't just have him join immediately?
And French is a problem? Don't you have translator software?
It got me thinking - just what kind of tech does The Other Worlds is supposed to be at?
I'm supposed to believe we have Plasma weapons, Light Speed Travel yet you cannot seem to take calls when on the same planet surface to ask chat with your employer?
That would've made some situations easier to write like having more cues to ask questions mid-mission and competing employers bargaining with each other over calls.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
The writing as a whole lacks "weight", if you can refer to it as such.
Like, that Zoe quest is a perfect example. You brought back the girl who out of her own will decided to join a group of armed muderers/robbers and those villagers treat it like a small teenager's phase thing.

RK47

Patron
There's no third option - so in we go.

Things got pretty easy once I modded a grenade launcher to shock damage. The shock damage bonus vs Robots is p. good.
Anyway, who do we give power to?

RK47

Patron

'We're gonna grow crops naturally in our own backyard. And no need to take in the opposing side once you've won. Let them die.
And hopefully the corporation we just screwed over doesn't notice and invade our farm that can barely defend itself against marauders.'

vs

'I BELIEVED IN THIS COMPANY FOR 20 YEARS AND YOU CAN'T CONVINCE ME THAT I'M WRONG IN MAKING EVERYONE WORK IN A CANNERY AND EATING SHIT FOOD AND LET THE BAD EMPLOYEES DIE.'

OK, so everyone is an asshole. At least I fixed my ship.
I'm kinda dissatisfied and tired from all that looting of containers as well. Might take a break and may or may not come back to this.

Combat is average.
Writing wise doesn't engage.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: I should've shot her.

Yeah, you really should have. It would have really improved the gene pool there.

At least I found Parvati's backstory interesting (but from a corporate point of view, letting parents raise their children is inefficient: raising all children in a corporation orphanage would enable economies of scale). Constable Reyes continues the trend of
rating_prosper.png
faces.

RK47

Patron
Just kill everyone.

:lol: Tempting but performance issue is making my shooting worse. I'm just going to respec into a leadership character and watch my amazing Paki Maid sweep the floor with grenade launcher.

Some re-spec points I did:
[Science] lets you tinker your equipment. Scales up your weapon damage and armor resistance with [Tinkering] it takes Armor/Weapon parts and currency to do so. If you want pure damage increase, Science is a necessary skill. Weapon skills gives Critical Damage perk and Armor penetration.

You may notice I suddenly have the [Dumb] Dialog option - that's because picked the 'Permanent Concussion' flaw just to see what happens. I guess if you play the game too long, you become retarded. :lol: But nah, the true source is getting hit on the head gives you the flaw. You can Accept / Reject it (a retarded idea) - and for every flaw you gain - you can pick a new perk. It's dumb. It's clear that the Flaw System is under-developed. The Perk is bland and boring.

I'm just curious how this Leadership-build work just to spice things up, because I don't feel like shooting with bad framerate.

RK47

Patron

It's nice that the main quest has multiple options to progress it - but it doesn't have that 'hook' about it.
What is the personal stake here? Who wronged you? The Halcyon corporation? Aside from being frozen for 70 years in Vault 111 they didn't do anything wrong to the player.
And the evil mega-corporations are not using booth babes to sell their products instead relying on clean, generic ad bots.
Why not? Because it's politically incorrect? C'mon, Obsidian. Don't be like that.
I'd love to talk more, but anudda settlement needs your help. So off we go to save the Groundsbreaker from global warming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom