Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about game remasters

Remasters gud?

• Yes

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • What can change the nature of a man?

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters

Dexter

Arcane
It depends on the actual work put behind it, shit like what BeamDog is doing are just cash-grabs based on a popular IP, since they barely do any actual art/sound/development, but instead fix just a few bugs and compatibility issues and re-release. They do a lot less than some larger developers do with a single big Patch to a game and don't even come close to the Witcher GOTY releases or similar.

On the other hand I'd say things like these are worthwhile:

KQ1_comparisons.jpg
KQ2_comparisons.jpg
kq3_compare.png

qfg2_2.png

What I loved about the Monkey Island: SE and why I don't mind the changes too much is that you could switch between "classic" Monkey Island and the "Remake" with the flip of a button.

Naraya

Arcane
^ right, I forgot about those. It's definitely labour of love.

As for Monkey Island, I couldn't stand the remakes. The classic switch is the only redeeming quality :P

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Going to be interesting when we reach the stage when we need remasters of remasters because future computers.

Delbaeth

Learned
Well it's already the case for a few.
Take the firts Ys games for instance, or the first Tex Murphy: Mean Streets > Overseer > The Poisoned Pawn.

And there's the Dune II case, where you have the Westwood's remake Dune 2000, but then, you have few community remasters of Dune 2, and the Dune 2000 mod for OpenRA.

deuxhero

Arcane
Remasters are only good when it's actually a remaster, the assets were originally a higher quality but toned down to fit in the game.

Enhanced remakes/ports or enhanced editions can be good, but they aren't remasters. Something like Fallout (great game, terrible engine) could benefit from one greatly (but won't happen because Interplay were idiots and lost the code and art for the game)

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'd gladly pay a $5-10 convenience fee to get some of the older games to work flawlessly on this generation's tech.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I'd gladly pay a $5-10 convenience fee to get some of the older games to work flawlessly on this generation's tech.
Isn't that what they do with most/all GoG releases though? Doesn't really fall under remaster/remaking. Plus I think remasters tend to go for 10-20 and complete remakes are often full price.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Isn't that what they do with most/all GoG releases though? Doesn't really fall under remaster/remaking. Plus I think remasters tend to go for 10-20 and complete remakes are often full price.

I still find myself having to implement workarounds to make a lot of GOG games work.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Default GOG configuration is stretched image (probably since the lowest common GOG customer can't cope with black bars on the sides) and too low CPU cycles.

But the only GOG game that I've tried so far that didn't work right away was Quake 2 for some reason. But since I already beat it twice I couldn't be bothered to diagnose the problem, and skipped it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom