Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life is Strange [5 episodes of Gone Home]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
New adventure game from the developers of Remember Me. It is published by Square Enix.

[website]

Edit: 1st episode should be out this month on 30th of January.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Remember Me had a nice visual style, but was otherwise completely forgettable and lackluster. Not expecting anything from this one.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
what incredible shitty voice acting.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
UrnCluJ.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Any game that primarily revolves around talking to teenagers should have a "skip line of dialogue" button. And that fucking unskippable intro song! Torturous stuff.

Athelas

Arcane
Shy girl becomes friends with blue-haired punk girl.

Obvious lesbian undertones in their interactions.

Hmm...where have I seen this before?

6291309b-c6a0-41f0-b8cb-af191ad6c4c3.jpg

French developer rips off critically acclaimed French movie from last year. Why, I never.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
SHITTY french movie, you should add. The thing was just an excuse for hot lesbian sex, so I guess it's okay.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Won't matter, the game just sold a million extra copies:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Frenchies making game about Kwan high schoolers. This will obviously end well.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, I'm looking at the trailer and the first thing that pops in my head is "Dawsons Creek tier tween drama tripe with time shenanigans".

Venser

Erudite
Holy shit, so much hate. Has anyone actually played it?
The dialogues is pretty bad and lip syncing is atrocious (they improved it a bit in later episodes) but I love the game. It has this sense of mystery that makes you want to uncover and think about it even when you're not playing. This isn't Telltale, your decisions actually matter. Sure you can't derail the main plot but you constantly see how consequences of your actions alter environment and change general situations and dialogue. Even some actions that seemed insignificant will add up to a bigger picture and things you did in episode 2 will come into play in episode 4 for example. I have 2 parallel playthroughs and it's not enough to explore all the options.

Anyway, finished episode 4 and it's my favorite so far. It started really melancholic but halfway through it got all dark and turned into something like The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo or True Detective. It was twice as long as the previous episodes (3-5 hours to finish depending on how much you explore). There was this awesome puzzle where you have to connect clues on a detective board. It's not very hard but you have to give it some thought and solving it feels very rewarding, especially cracking the pin code. The talk with a drug dealer was the highlight of the season for me. It can go so many different ways depending on a lot of factors based on your previous actions (are you armed, is he armed, is the dog alive, do you have the money, did you talk to the cop, did Nathan tell you about a photo?). They actually released an algorithm of that conversation: http://i.imgur.com/UnJGtRF.jpg

The game is getting better and better with each episode.

Episode 1 - 8/10
Episode 2 - 8.5/10
Episode 3 - 9/10
Episode 4 - 9/10

Venser

Erudite
Funny how both Gamespot and IGN gave episode 4 the lowest score even tho pretty much everyone agrees it's the best one. Both reviewers complained about the puzzle. I guess they expected to just Telltale through it:

"When the puzzle began, I had no idea what I was looking for, and it was a long time before Max's voice-over offered any hints as to what I should be searching. The mystery gets too obtuse to follow, and only after slogging through scraps of paper and tattered photos does anything even remotely make sense. Things were tidied up far too quickly for me to follow, leaving the victory of discovery feeling a bit hollow." - Alexa Ray Corriea, GS

lmao, I guess that happens when you speedrun through it without paying attention

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
Any game that primarily revolves around talking to teenagers should have a "skip line of dialogue" button. And that fucking unskippable intro song! Torturous stuff been canceled.

Fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom