Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Wait, Lilura, why in the world did you ignore MRY? Some kind of narrative-focused purge (I’m not calling a future federal judge/justice department official a storyfag)? Collective punishment for anyone associated with TTON? Criticism of Baldur’s Gate? I can’t think of a more genteel poster.

Not sure how he got on there.

PS. is new king content still on hiatus?

It's being refined and expanded, as I said (consolidation).

Last edited:

d1nolore

Savant
I've been playing BG original recently, only have the resolution mod.

Was searching for game info and ended up on Lilura blog. It's like reading a math textbook.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Any chance of getting some Nu-wave RPGs reviewed?

No, sorry. I don't commentate on the current gen anymore. Basically, I just want to consolidate what I've got a degree of Google authority on.

Did you check out my Stygian review? Not your thing, I know, but I'm interested if you have anything to say about how I wrote it.

Link?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Good review of what appears to be another mediocre current gen game. Bonus points for mentioning Fallout four times, and Arcanum once.

Deleted Member 22431

There is absolutely 0 reason a dialogue can be GOOD in a movie and a work of literature and be judged under different criteria in a video game. You are trying to abstract away this simple fact in general statements.
No, you are the one abstracting the realities of cRPG gameplay to make superficial and pedantic comparisons that don’t hold water. Dialogues in cRPGs are not just there for narrative sake because they are gameplay or accessories to gameplay. I understand why someone could indulge in this kind of simplistic mistake because it feels easy, but an easy mistake is a mistake nonetheless. Just because you feel eager to indulge in a fallacy to sustain your superiority complex in relation to an entire genre (or maybe an inferiority complex in relation to other mediums?), doesn’t mean that you can back up your claims properly.

It isn't that hard. Can games have good writing, good visuals, philosophy, and reactivity/mechanics? Absolutely. Do they? Fuck no.
Good visuals? Please, define good visuals to me. A nintendo game has good visuals. What amounts to good writing in cRPGS is also good design and world building and not depth in prose. That’s a very subtle difference, but it is an important one. It’s this type of simplistic, pedantic and ignorant mindset that is holding the genre back. We don’t need more cRPGs that attempt to be novel material. It’s the other way around. We need to understand that cRPGs have their own standards dictated by the realities of the genre, and we should stick to that, improve it. Developers shouldn’t be ashamed of their jobs because they won’t receive a Nobel prize for their work. That’s so silly.

You keep acting like I am expecting great works of literature in my games.
Because you do, as your next sentence clearly shows.

If planescape was a book, no one would know about it or even publish it - that is hard reality of what I am talking about. Even the most cherished games for writing which are games in name alone are pretty fucking bad.

It is only a hard reality if you are confused about the subject matter. PS:T isn’t a book and shouldn’t be judged like one. PS:T can allow us to do things that a book will never do. You are not a reader of PS:T, you are embarking on a journey of self-discovery with choices and that’s awesome. The notion that this game is any less important because writers wouldn’t read a book with the written content is laughable.

I,e it is kind of pathetic that the games we all masturbate over are still top of what has been achieved. That's a major F in my book.
The only pathetic things is pretentious cRPG players praising cRPGs as works of art comparable to other genres. It is a wrong way of looking at things, because it suggests that the only way to recognise their value is to make them comparable to something which was intended for different purposes. This will also attract criticisms from pedantic pretentious posters like you who also commit the same fallacy of criticising an apple for not being an orange. Now that I think about it, this fallacy should receive a name and it still doesn’t have one.

Also I want to add that I really don't want to throw artists and musicians under the bus. They generally do a pretty good job.
No, they don’t.

It is the writers and guys responsible for gameplay that make questionable choices. Even when a game does a decent job at writing, every other aspect is absolute trash. We basically have games with decent gameplay that have fuck all for story, and something resembling decent stories that have fuck all for gameplay and might as well be tv shows or books. Both is apparently too fucking hard.
The only questionable thing here is your superficial mindset and unjustified assumptions about the genre. Writing in cRPG is tied to game design. It doesn’t make sense to separate the writing from everything else, and it is silly to talk about good gameplay with bad writing because gameplay is also dictated by writing. JA2 is a heavy combat cRPG with good writing. It doesn’t have much text, but it is brilliantly written. It has the aesthetic sensibilities of an action movie from the 80s. From the character screen to the multitude of gameplay options, it all ties together nicely. It’s an example of a well-written game if you have a solid understanding of the genre.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am not playing this "who has the last word" game. Respond to what you think is the most charitable interpretation of what I am saying and not some dumb fuck version of it and then we can talk. Pedantic comparisons to things that can obvious be compared in every way? You keep throwing this word (pedantic) but I really fucking doubt you know what it means. Either that or you are just throwing shit against the wall and hope some of it sticks. I see through it. Fuck off. In the same paragraph you say pedantic, you ask me to define good visuals? Lmao the irony.

Here let me help you: pedantic: excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous. Now look in the mirror.

Ladies and gentlemen we got him:
LANfFgY.png

Last edited:

Nameless Codexian

Lilura you seem to be a lot friendlier on your blog based on the impression I got from the brief conversation we had over there.

Was it just a mask worn for the purposes of attracting more views and establishing a stable readership towards the website?

Deleted Member 22431

I am not playing this "who has the last word" game. Respond to what you think is the most charitable interpretation of what I am saying and not some dumb fuck version of it and then we can talk. Pedantic comparisons to things that can obvious be compared in every way? You keep throwing this word (pedantic) but I really fucking doubt you know what it means. Either that or you are just throwing shit against the wall and hope some of it sticks. I see through it. Fuck off. In the same paragraph you say pedantic, you ask me to define good visuals? Lmao the irony.

Here let me help you: pedantic: excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous. Now look in the mirror.

LANfFgY.png
I didn't rate any of your posts before, but since you resorted to childish and silly insults, including negative ratings, you left me no choice. That WAS YOUR CHOICE, YOU DECIDED TO GO THIS PATH, so now you own it. Did you expect me to roll over and let you walk over me? What world do you live in? Do you think you can call people names and be disrespectful and expect what? Politeness? How old are you? 12? You shouldn't indulge in name-calling if your skin is so soft.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

LANfFgY.png
I didn't rate any of your posts before, but since you resorted to childish and silly insults, including negative ratings, you left me no choice. That WAS YOUR CHOICE, YOU DECIDED TO GO THIS PATH, so now you own it. Did you expect me to roll over and let you walk over me? What world do you live in? Do you think you can call people names and be disrespectful and expect what? Politeness? How old are you? 12? You shouldn't indulge in name-calling if your skin is so soft.

Saying:

"you feel entitled in your enormous ignorance to dismiss the whole thing in this silly post"

or

complaining about childish silly insults.

Pick one. What is it your own shit doesn't smell? Yea surely I was the one that started talking to you with insulting tone having not said anything to you at all until your post. Let's see you wiggle out of this cognitive dissonance.

Nameless Codexian

Lilura you seem to be a lot friendlier on your blog based on the impression I got from the brief conversation we had over there.

Was it just a mask worn for the purposes of attracting more views and establishing a stable readership towards the website?

Lilura ignore what I just said.

I think I understand why you are so caustic with other people in here.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

Dude it is just fun to troll a bunch of nerds. That is what she is doing.

Jinn

Arcane

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Lilura is the number one authority on all things regarding the Infinity and Aurora engines and her blog receives over 1 million unique readers per month. She is also an extremely attractive azn womyn and if you don't respect her authority, it's because you're a jealous incel.

Deleted Member 22431

Who the fuck is Lilura? Why should I care?

Nobody knows for sure.

Fact: Lilura is knowledgable about cRPGs.

It’s a mystery: Lilura claimed to be an Asian single female.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom