Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is this worth trying?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If I was ranking mod campaigns in my RPG rankings, I'd rank Swordflight 4th all-time.

barghwata

Savant
Is this worth trying?

It's easily the best RTwP RPG out there, in fact i would go as far as to say it's the only RPG where RTwP combat was done right, you should try it.

Thx gonna get it :D Should I be playing the original or the hard life version?

I think you should start with the original, to familiarise yourself with the mechanics and all before jumping onto Hard Life, which is more difficult.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If I was ranking mod campaigns in my RPG rankings, I'd rank Swordflight 4th all-time.

You little tease, tell us about 1st to 3rd.
Yeah! The only modules I ever played were in about 2003. A bunch of janky mmo ones and some good but stupidly short single player ones.

Most of them are storyfag mods. Which is another way of saying that most of them are shit.

My top 10 was as follows (not including mods):

Top%2B10%2BBest%2BPC%2BRPGs%2Bof%2BAll%2BTime.png

I'm going to have to amend that because now I put even greater weight on combat systems and combat encounter design. I can see ToEE outstripping Arcanum in my next top 10 because Arcanum has too many storyfag tendencies, and its combat is complete shit on a stick. Also, MotB.

Lorefags and settingfags are only one rung above the lowliest of all, the storyfags.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Other grounds for beheadings:

• Not having played Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE or oldschool RPGs, and yet trying to say ANYTHING about turn-based combat (Larian'tards)
  • Playing an original campaign in a sequel's engine, and preferring it (BG in BG2 engine, Fallout in Fallout 2 engine etc.)
  • Playing the IE:EEs and preferring them to the original IEs
  • Using widescreen mods on games designed for 4:3, and preferring it
  • Playing games in non-native resolutions and complaining that UIs/fonts don't scale to 16:9/1080p
  • Complaining about Electron's cam or MotB's spirit meter, while not acknowledging their virtues
  • Rating PS:T as the greatest RPG of all-time because you are a storyfag cretin
  • Calling Oblivion With Guns "Fallout", thereby ignoring the existence of the seminal and superior game by Interplay
  • Playing and enjoying the Elder Scrolls games, and not keeping it to yourself
  • Saying Jagged Alliance 2 isn't an RPG because it's got good tactical combat, when it's just that no game you think is an RPG does (you're just jealous)
  • Saying Dark Sun or Planescape are the best campaign settings in D&D, when Greyhawk is
  • Calling someone who plays old cRPGs "a grognard". (shameful term misuse)
  • Enjoying dress-up dolly in chargen
  • Complaining about Gothic 1's controls just because you lack the basic human intelligence required to use them
  • Writing off any great RPG based on current gen fads, trends and "sensibilities"
  • Not acknowledging that the original, authentic and authoritative version of a game is the one released and patch by the devs
  • Thinking Gothic is hardcore and a masteripece, when it's as casual as popamoles get outside of Morrowind
  • Saying ToEE is Troika's worst game when clearly Vampire Bloodlines is an edgy popamole for hipsters
  • etc.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
This is all awesome - seriously. I especially like how you can enjoy Elder Scrolls games, just as long as you keep it to yourself. But if I may be so bold as to pose a question. Or two.

The Fallout patches by TeamX are considered essential by many, but to my knowledge they were not official or made by the original developers. You are saying that Fallout with the Team X patches applied is not "the original, authentic and authoritative version" or is this an exception to the rule?

Second question, and this is really not important, this is the second time I've read you saying Gothic is "as casual as popamoles get outside of Morrowind". Maybe it's because I'm not a native English speaker, I don't understand exactly what you mean with the "outside of Morrowind" part. Is Morrowind a less casual popamoles than Gothic or is it the most casual popamoles?

Your blog is very cool - and I actually found it via Google before seeing your posts here, so congrats on that SEO too.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The Fallout patches by TeamX are considered essential by many, but to my knowledge they were not official or made by the original developers. You are saying that Fallout with the Team X patches applied is not "the original, authentic and authoritative version" or is this an exception to the rule?

No, there are no exceptions. There isn't a single non-dev patch, fix or mod in the history of the genre that is authoritative. There is only one official version of the game: the one released and patched by the devs.

Is Morrowind a less casual popamoles than Gothic or is it the most casual popamoles?

Morrowind is more casual than Gothic in terms of lethality of gameworld, and combat/control.

Others:

• Saying that isometric or top-down perspectives were invented by or were otherwise due to tech limitations of the time, when they remain superior to other perspectives, and even 3D isometric-esque in most cases, but mostly due to feeble implementations by current gen incompetents.
  • Saying dwarves are "master race" in RPGs, when humans are.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Perfect.

Other grounds for beheadings:

• Not having played Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE or oldschool RPGs, and yet trying to say ANYTHING about turn-based combat (Larian'tards)
  • Playing an original campaign in a sequel's engine, and preferring it (BG in BG2 engine, Fallout in Fallout 2 engine etc.)
  • Playing the IE:EEs and preferring them to the original IEs
  • Using widescreen mods on games designed for 4:3, and preferring it
  • Playing games in non-native resolutions and complaining that UIs/fonts don't scale to 16:9/1080p
  • Complaining about Electron's cam or MotB's spirit meter, while not acknowledging their virtues
  • Rating PS:T as the greatest RPG of all-time because you are a storyfag cretin
  • Calling Oblivion With Guns "Fallout", thereby ignoring the existence of the seminal and superior game by Interplay
  • Saying Jagged Alliance 2 isn't an RPG because it's got good tactical combat, when it's just that no game you think is an RPG does (you're just jealous)
  • Saying Dark Sun or Planescape are the best campaign settings in D&D, when Greyhawk is
  • Calling someone who plays old cRPGs "a grognard". (shameful term misuse)
  • Complaining about Gothic 1's controls just because you lack the basic human intelligence required to use them
  • Writing off any great RPG based on current gen fads, trends and "sensibilities"
  • Not acknowledging that the original, authentic and authoritative version of a game is the one released and patch by the devs
  • Thinking Gothic is hardcore and a masteripece, when it's as casual as popamoles get outside of Morrowind
  • Saying ToEE is Troika's worst game when clearly Vampire Bloodlines is an edgy popamole for hipsters
  • etc.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Other grounds for beheadings:]
Guilty on both accounts. I enjoy playing and talking about Daggerfall. As for enjoying dress-up dolly, if it extends from chargen to in-game paperdolls micro-managing... I guess I'm done for.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I am ok with a few things in the list, but most of them are extremely terrible and dragging gaming down to new lows.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

You little tease, tell us about 1st to 3rd.
Yeah! The only modules I ever played were in about 2003. A bunch of janky mmo ones and some good but stupidly short single player ones.

Most of them are storyfag mods. Which is another way of saying that most of them are shit.

My top 10 was as follows (not including mods):

Top%2B10%2BBest%2BPC%2BRPGs%2Bof%2BAll%2BTime.png

I'm going to have to amend that because now I put even greater weight on combat systems and combat encounter design. I can see ToEE outstripping Arcanum in my next top 10 because Arcanum has too many storyfag tendencies, and its combat is complete shit on a stick. Also, MotB.

Lorefags and settingfags are only one rung above the lowliest of all, the storyfags.
Strange that you rate Silent Storm right after ToEE but spit poison at the people who made it like they... I do not know, raped Fallout? Or committed other equally vile sin against RPG.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Guilty on both accounts. I enjoy playing and talking about Daggerfall.

Daggerfall's ok. I'm talking Morrowind and post-Morrowind.

As for enjoying dress-up dolly, if it extends from chargen to in-game paperdolls micro-managing... I guess I'm done for.

I'm mainly talking 3D muppets that Oblivion With Guns made popular with the muppet hogging much of the UI space. Paperdolls such as this are ok:

Latro

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Missionforce: Cyberstorm was one of my favorites, but it's great tactics marred by lopsided progression and grinding. There's never any reason to do anything but mining missions since everything is tied to cash and you'll need lots of it, there's also no need to bring your own ore extractors because once the map is cleared everything gets automiined. The first solar system's destroy control center mission can be extremely difficult because you're very under-equipped. However, once you finish that it becomes a curb stomp, they start handing you all the really nice hardware and the AI just can't keep up. Hence, the patch to try and rebalance the gameplay.

The other thing is it can get really tedious having to constantly rebalance each HERCs shields every turn as the units move around, ideally you always want the most shields towards the enemy, but that can be a problem when you don't have the entire area scouted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom