Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware List of games that don't work on Windows 10?

should i upgrade to windows 10?

• yes

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • no

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • the n word

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters
Only thing I had/have (Haven't tried recently, as in the last couple years) issues with was Hotline Miami 1. It'd still technically run, it was just prone to crashing which was apparently some Windows 10 related issue. Dunno if it was ever fixed or not, but other than that it's been fairly peachy.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The GOG versions of Fantasy General and and Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate were unplayable for me on my Win 10 laptop. Both worked fine on my Win 7 desktop. Also Screamer 4x4. And I had frequent crashes on later tracks in Screamer 1 which I didn't have on Win XP but I don't remember if I ever played that on Win 7. Maybe the problem is something with Nvidia's Optimus fuckery and not with Win 10, I cba to delve into this shit too much, rather just play something else when I have to use the laptop for gaming.

EDIT: Chaos Gate had some UI issues which made the combat unplayable. Screamer 4x4 was dowright unplayable. I don't remember what the issue was in Fantasy General, I think I could start the campaign but the game would crash in the first scenario.
Nvidia Optimus is bad, and Nvidia drivers in general are bad for older games. Too many workarounds for performance tend to break over time, especially when they need to work with compatibility layers. If you have issues, I would recommend checking out dgVoodoo first, and see what's happening. There are also a lot of compatibility options under Windows 10 that really work.

I didn't think people were actually deluded and stupid enough to think windows update delivered value in any form. Next you're going to tell me you have windows update enabled.
Hey man, what do you do for a living? You sound like a member of the Nigerian Royal family working in IT.
Allowing windows updates on 7 post windows 10 means that they try to push updates that add windows 10 botnet features like telemetry. Which deliver no actual value to you as the user and only make your computer less secure for you as the user as now you're more botnet. But since you're shilling for 10 you probably love that shit, so go ahead and enable updates goy.

hpstg

Savant
Telemetry is the only way you can get actual usage patterns for something as big as an OS. Even Mozilla has it for much smaller projects like a browser.

I personally don't give a fuck one way or another. I like OSX as a user environment the best, but games run well on Windows (and recently Linux). At work I develop for all four (including FreeBSD). All of them have good and bad spots.

The shittiest thing you can do is telling someone not to update their OS these days. Unless you have a completely offline system (which we all know won't happen).

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
install linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Richard Stallman eats shit from his feet.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Win 10 is literally the worst OS in history, why in hell would you "upgrade" to fucking spyware which takes control of your PC and does what it wants without asking you

hpstg

Savant
Win 10 is literally the worst OS in history, why in hell would you "upgrade" to fucking spyware which takes control of your PC and does what it wants without asking you

Unlike the other versions of Windows. The open source ones.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
He also wrote the GPL, he can explore his booger fetish as much as he wants.

I mean... anyone at the time could've done that. Doesn't excuse his nasty appearance and habits. I'm sure, for him, having a companion -- male, female or animal -- is only bloated, non-free or both.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Edit: and the only reply I get is a participation award. :lol: Have fun with your bitching.
Dude, what part of "classic game runs perfectly out of the box on win7 versus it doesn't even launch on win10" in "windows 10 is better for older games than win7 is a total myth" don't you understand? That's some low iq stuff.

Then again, apparently you think that being able to run a game on a virtual machine with an older version of Windows installed is a relevant point to make also, so I rest my case.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nvidia Optimus is bad, and Nvidia drivers in general are bad for older games. Too many workarounds for performance tend to break over time, especially when they need to work with compatibility layers. If you have issues, I would recommend checking out dgVoodoo first, and see what's happening. There are also a lot of compatibility options under Windows 10 that really work.

Heh, last time I had a Radeon a ton of older games suddenly had issues. I see tons of bitching about ATI cards causing issues with old games. Depends on your perspective I guess, I doubt either is perfect. Again though, I've had trouble running precisely one game in the last 15 years and it's fixed now. The PC community is a beautiful thing.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Heh, last time I had a Radeon a ton of older games suddenly had issues.

Useless anecdotes always have as little information as possible. No information is optimal, of course.

"Heh, last time I had a Jeep, it had tons of issues with older roads".

I see tons of bitching about ATI cards causing issues with old games.

It must have been a decade ago then, since ATI hasn't existed since 2010 as a brand. As company it hasn't existed since 2006. Such timely and relevant information.
cool_story_bro.png

"I see tons of bitching about AMC cars causing issues on old roads".

Depends on your perspective I guess, I doubt either is perfect.

Then follow it up with wishy washy meanderings and out-of-nowhere strawmen.

Again though, I've had trouble running precisely one game in the last 15 years and it's fixed now.

Again, no information. Just word-salad.

The PC community is a beautiful thing.

Well, there's no shortage of useless anecdotes in it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If this is about the ability to run a lot of games made 10 years ago it's probably best to have a separate PC just for that. No more issues.

I have not been able Silent Hunter 4 on Win7 otherwise I rarely touch old games these days. They can run on a toaster so there are many ways to do that, running on your computer with Win10 is probably the most complicated.

Let's face it Win 10 sucks ass, the interface is a joke, most of its features are complete bullshit and with the updates it turns into downright crippleware. I am not mainly concerned about compatibilty with games though, because if I played a lot of old games I can an older Core2 and use it to run games under Windows XP as they were supposed to.

Compatibility is a tricky bitch and will only get worse in the next years. I just saw an amazing talk from a Commodore guy how they tried and always failed to be backwards compatible and his worst nightmare was that someone who spend years to write code that would not work on his latest machine.

I could still kill a friend who threw away my Pentium from 1995 even though he had vowed not to. I had intended to keep it and play games like Ultima Underworld or Panzer General in the 21st century

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
If this is about the ability to run a lot of games made 10 years ago it's probably best to have a separate PC just for that. No more issues.

That's good advice, if you can do it.

I have not been able Silent Hunter 4 on Win7 otherwise I rarely touch old games these days.

I bought SH4 from Uplay and it installs and runs perfectly on Windows 10.

I just saw an amazing talk from a Commodore guy how they tried and always failed to be backwards compatible and his worst nightmare was that someone who spend years to write code that would not work on his latest machine.

Commodore stopped existing in the early 90s. I'm sure it was an interesting or even an amazing talk, but let's not pretend that their gripes on backwards compatibility on a 16-bit proprietary system, which relied on custom chips for everything, is in any way, shape or form relevant to backwards compatibility today.

hpstg

Savant

I have not been able Silent Hunter 4 on Win7 otherwise I rarely touch old games these days. They can run on a toaster so there are many ways to do that, running on your computer with Win10 is probably the most complicated.

Let's face it Win 10 sucks ass, the interface is a joke, most of its features are complete bullshit and with the updates it turns into downright crippleware. I am not mainly concerned about compatibilty with games though, because if I played a lot of old games I can an older Core2 and use it to run games under Windows XP as they were supposed to.

Compatibility is a tricky bitch and will only get worse in the next years. I just saw an amazing talk from a Commodore guy how they tried and always failed to be backwards compatible and his worst nightmare was that someone who spend years to write code that would not work on his latest machine.

I could still kill a friend who threw away my Pentium from 1995 even though he had vowed not to. I had intended to keep it and play games like Ultima Underworld or Panzer General in the 21st century

If the games are that old, something like dgVoodoo, or a more generic wrapper, are probably your best bets. Or, if GPU companies decide to get their head out of their asses, we might get proper GPU virtualisation on the desktop, and all of this conversation will be irrelevant, as you will be able to run whatever you want in an OS container that can be whatever you like. The main blocker for this now is NVIDIA and AMD trying to sell GPUs for the data centre.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, the only game I had trouble running on Windows in the last 10+ years was Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, and GOG eventually released it with new compatibility. I've never run into anything else giving me significant issues. The mentioned Max Payne and No One Lives Forever 2 above have simple fan patches or repacks. Not sure about Cthulu but it's on GOG and such so I bet it works fine. Often times people tend to blame the OS for things that aren't the OS' fault, which creates a misguided reputation.
Neverhood was a biotch until they released a GOG version.

Same with pretty much any game with a 16 bit installer. But that didn't work on Windows 7 either (unless you had the 32 bit version but lolwhy).

Anything that works in 64 bit win 7 will work in 64 bit windows 10. It's literally the same thing just with much better performance but much more spyware.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Old games not are always able to make legal drawing surface in full screen under W10. For example drakensang needs to start in windowed mode and alt + enter to generate correct full screen. Some games basically require using compatibility mode for W7, or XP or you'd have 1/3 of framerate, and textures would look blurry. W7 was compatible, W10 isn't.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, there's no shortage of useless anecdotes in it.

Unless you know of a well-researched and peer-reviewed study of which drivers best support classic gaming then anecdotes is all we got, Mr. line-by-line reply. My point was it depends on what you own and what you've tried to run, there's no actual consensus that ATMDI cards are "better" for old games or nVidia. It's all just bullshit on an internet forum. The only thing I actually care about is do I have trouble running old games on Windows 10? No I do not. Sometimes I have to google a fix or find a fan patch, but that's PC gaming for you. The drive to own an old XP machine or switch to WINE is basically nil when everything runs fine. Even the examples listed in this thread are pretty much all fixed by new digital versions or fan solutions, proving the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom