Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Black

Arcane

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Pirates don't waste their time cracking games that no one wants to play.
I'm curious.

It seems to me SimCity has three major flaws:

1) Lack of terraforming tools.
2) Small city sizes.
3) Bugs (including always online stuff).

Is there anything else the new game is missing or does wrong that makes it inferior to the past games? Just wondering, I have not played it, but I've heard very few critiques that don't focus on the above problems.

Black

Arcane
I'm curious.

2) Small city sizes.

Is there anything else the new game is missing or does wrong that makes it inferior to the past games? Just wondering, I have not played it, but I've heard very few critiques that don't focus on the above problems.

And AI.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Ever been driving before? At least it is kinda realistic for everyone on the road to be a moron. :lol:

I guess this is pretty inexcusable though:

I've also now read reports from people that the game's resource distribution is completely fucked up, i.e. parts of your city can mysteriously go without power, water, etc. even though you have more than enough being generated and it's all distributed automatically (pipes and power lines are auto-placed along roads).

Telengard

Arcane
I'm curious.

2) Small city sizes.

Some of the other dumbing down complaints I've noticed:

• No partial funding of civic buildings, they're on or off
  • Removal of density zoning (choose only the three basic zone types, density is determined instead by parks and traffic)
  • No farms or subways
  • Removal of several power plant types, including dams (I haven't seen anywhere that power plants wear down, so I'm guessing that's gone too)
  • Removal of power lines, water pipes, and sewage pipes, reducing the need for planning - all automatically placed along with roads

I'm curious.

2) Small city sizes.

I have no idea. The "no one wants to play" thing was for diablo 3.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm curious.

2) Small city sizes.

And AI.

Yup. That kind of shitty AI is what one of the most important fan patches (Network Addon Mod traffic simulator z) improves for Simcity 4. It's funny that this is still as bad in the new game.

I'm not sure whether you watched the previews where one of the designers built a city in the form of a guitar. Of course, the frets on the neck were done with roads, and sure enough, the number of roads and intersections alone produced awesome traffic jams, although it didn't make much sense. Which meant to me the AI that calculates traffic was still shitty.

Turjan

Arcane
Some of the other dumbing down complaints I've noticed:

• No partial funding of civic buildings, they're on or off
  • Removal of density zoning (choose only the three basic zone types, density is determined instead by parks and traffic)
  • No farms or subways
  • Removal of several power plant types, including dams (I haven't seen anywhere that power plants wear down, so I'm guessing that's gone too)
  • Removal of power lines, water pipes, and sewage pipes, reducing the need for planning - all automatically placed along with roads
To be fair, there weren't any dams or sewage pipes in Simcity 4, either. The sewage pipe system was somewhere buried in the system files, but non-functional and off limits. Honestly, the way water pipes and power lines worked in the former titles was more tedious (water pipes) or non-sensical (power lines) than anything else. Want to connect power? Just zone a one tile wide agricultural strip.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I always liked the music they did for the Sim and Sims games, especially Simcity. Always kinda relaxing. :oops:

Angthoron

Arcane
http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1473

EA Hires Hundreds of Chinese Spammers to Post Positively About SimCity’s Always Online Requirement
In an effort to downplay SimCity’s always online component that has rendered thousands of players unable to play the game due to unexpected maintenance, EA has hired hundreds of Chinese internet spammers to spin the news positively.

On gaming boards like GameFAQs, IGN and NeoGAF, new registrations have spiked causing some forum administrators to shut down registration. They have reported that a majority of the IPs originate from China and that those users have only posted in threads regarding SimCity complaints. Many share similar themes and phrases including:
“I like to think of this game as an MMO. You can only play MMOs online so I’m okay with this!”​
“Only losers like to play alone. We should make friends with all SimCity players for a better gameplay!”​
“Thank you EA for making sure our game will always be up to date!”​
“Our patience will be rewarded with a wonderful game!”​
“Don’t get a refund so soon, you should give EA another chance!”​
We spoke to one of these spammers in an exclusive interview:
Play4Real: Rumor has it that you are being paid by EA, is this true?​
citybuilder229: No, this is not true.​
Play4Real: Then why are you posting only good things about SimCity’s always online requirement?​
citybuilder229: Because I was told by EA representative to post them.​
Play4Real: But you said you weren’t being paid by EA.​
citybuilder229: I have not been paid yet.​
Play4Real: Oh, okay. Is there anything else you can tell us about this deal you made?​
citybuilder229: I am to be paid one RMB (approximately .16 USD) per good post I make.​
Play4Real: How many posts have you made?​
citybuilder229: 780.​
An EA spokesperson has denied these claims saying, “We would never stoop so low as to hire Chinese spammers to post positive spin about SimCity’s always online requirement. There is no reason to since the always online requirement is a good thing.”

Kitako

Arcane
We would never stoop so low
nFwLGx3.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
The good news is that SimCity is a solid hit in all major markets. The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game. But this SimCity is made to be played online, and if you can’t get a stable connection, you’re NOT having a good experience. So we’re not going to rest until we’ve fixed the remaining server issues.
I like how "consensus" is kind of just a thing you can pull out of your ass. Which critics say this? Which players? What constitutes "great" in this case? What does "fundamentally" mean? What is "fundamentally great" about SimCity? What evidence do you have to back that up? What other qualifications are attached to this claim?
The critics they "endorsed", obviously. The game doesn't seem to be any better than CitiesXL, it even appears to have just as many bugs.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
PETA Says Virtual Whaling in Assassin’s Creed 4 is a Gateway Drug That Will Lead to Actual Whaling

PS4 Graphics Impressive to People Who Have Never Played Modern PC Games

Developers Are Running Out of Fake Excuses For Not Porting Games to the Wii U

Sony Partners with Mad Catz on PlayStation 4 Controller

SimCity 5 DLC Store to Include Nuke Neighbor, Remove In-Game Ad Paid Items

Gabe Newell’s Use of the Word Autistic Draws Ire of Gamers Who Use Faggot and Nigger on Daily Basis

znrkph.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom