Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Black

Arcane
PS4 Graphics Impressive to People Who Have Never Played Modern PC Games
Nothing trolly about this.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
PETA Says Virtual Whaling in Assassin’s Creed 4 is a Gateway Drug That Will Lead to Actual Whaling

PS4 Graphics Impressive to People Who Have Never Played Modern PC Games

Developers Are Running Out of Fake Excuses For Not Porting Games to the Wii U

Sony Partners with Mad Catz on PlayStation 4 Controller

SimCity 5 DLC Store to Include Nuke Neighbor, Remove In-Game Ad Paid Items

Gabe Newell’s Use of the Word Autistic Draws Ire of Gamers Who Use Faggot and Nigger on Daily Basis

znrkph.png

Tomb Raider Devs: If You Can’t Handle Lara Being Impaled in the Head, Go Back to Nintendo Games

Sony Shows Off PS4′s Power by Announcing 45 Developers Have Already Gone Bankrupt Making Games For It

Pedophiles Prefer Nintendo Consoles over Sony and Microsoft
Beyond: Two Souls coming to PlayStation 3, Vita, and Theaters

Polygon Lowers Journalistic Standards to “Just Above Kotaku” After Releasing Yet Another Stupid Article

IGN Revises God Hand Score from 3/10 to 3.5/10

:excellent:

Just bookmarked it

Telengard

Arcane
Some of the other dumbing down complaints I've noticed:

• No partial funding of civic buildings, they're on or off
  • Removal of density zoning (choose only the three basic zone types, density is determined instead by parks and traffic)
  • No farms or subways
  • Removal of several power plant types, including dams (I haven't seen anywhere that power plants wear down, so I'm guessing that's gone too)
  • Removal of power lines, water pipes, and sewage pipes, reducing the need for planning - all automatically placed along with roads
To be fair, there weren't any dams or sewage pipes in Simcity 4, either. The sewage pipe system was somewhere buried in the system files, but non-functional and off limits. Honestly, the way water pipes and power lines worked in the former titles was more tedious (water pipes) or non-sensical (power lines) than anything else. Want to connect power? Just zone a one tile wide agricultural strip.
For the question of dumbing down though - previously one had to balance the cost of maintenance of infrastructure and civic services with the cost of development. With the removal of infrastructure and civic services funding, along with the removal of road maintenance, the player need no longer balance anything. Its flat fees for everything, no maintenance costs. Which strikes at the heart of what makes a city sim a city sim, and shifts simcity far away from being a city simulation and towards being a straight up design program.

Turjan

Arcane
Some of the other dumbing down complaints I've noticed:

• No partial funding of civic buildings, they're on or off
  • Removal of density zoning (choose only the three basic zone types, density is determined instead by parks and traffic)
  • No farms or subways
  • Removal of several power plant types, including dams (I haven't seen anywhere that power plants wear down, so I'm guessing that's gone too)
  • Removal of power lines, water pipes, and sewage pipes, reducing the need for planning - all automatically placed along with roads
To be fair, there weren't any dams or sewage pipes in Simcity 4, either. The sewage pipe system was somewhere buried in the system files, but non-functional and off limits. Honestly, the way water pipes and power lines worked in the former titles was more tedious (water pipes) or non-sensical (power lines) than anything else. Want to connect power? Just zone a one tile wide agricultural strip.
For the question of dumbing down though - previously one had to balance the cost of maintenance of infrastructure and civic services with the cost of development. With the removal of infrastructure and civic services funding, along with the removal of road maintenance, the player need no longer balance anything. Its flat fees for everything, no maintenance costs. Which strikes at the heart of what makes a city sim a city sim, and shifts simcity far away from being a city simulation and towards being a straight up design program.
I was just commenting on certain points you made, which either weren't removed for the current game but were already not in the last one or were badly designed in the predecessors. No contest regarding the general dumbing down. The new game doesn't look as if it would be interesting for very long, given that you cannot do much.

Suchy

Arcane
:bravo:

Step up the game Codex, there's new competition in town.
This is gold :lol:

Play4Real: Rumor has it that you are being paid by EA, is this true?
citybuilder229: No, this is not true.
Play4Real: Then why are you posting only good things about SimCity’s always online requirement?
citybuilder229: Because I was told by EA representative to post them.
Play4Real: But you said you weren’t being paid by EA.
citybuilder229: I have not been paid yet.
Play4Real: Oh, okay. Is there anything else you can tell us about this deal you made?
citybuilder229: I am to be paid one RMB (approximately .16 USD) per good post I make.
Play4Real: How many posts have you made?
citybuilder229: 780.​

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I did see a thread on NeoGaf get linked on /v/ yesterday which had a viraller in it. Guy was called Glassbox, spent the little amount of time his account existed to go man damage control in Sim City/EA threads, asked really bizarre questions (like asking another person to specifically mention what he enjoyed about the game), then got banned in short order.

It was a strange little episode, to be sure.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, this is interesting. I'm surprised that I haven't seen this thread before.
Anyway, I'm not surprised that EA is a shitworks company.
This has been going on a long time.
Still, for some reason, call me crazy, but I like Activision's brand of madness a bit better than EA's.
At least Kotick is honest about how he wants to milk every fucking penny from every game possible.

Kitako

Arcane
EA is just below angry managment, but above brazilians, in general consensus.

hE77E92C8

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom