Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
EA market capitalisation is $36.37 billions, how big is Microsoft's warchest?

Valve is largely owned by GabeN. It would be amusing if he sold out to Microsoft (where he originally came from). But why would he? It's not like Steam/Valve is in any trouble, quite the contrary.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well EA is not that rich as people think it is. Most of their games this year are flops. Only shit that allegedly makes money is the sports games. I wouldn't be surprise if in a few years they go bankrupt. There is a lot of money thrown on all those flops,also they are paying a lot of money to keep a lot of studious.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
But why would he [GabeN]? It's not like Steam/Valve is in any trouble, quite the contrary.

Financially they're not in any trouble. Legally however they're (over)due for the equivalent of a free helicopter ride courtesy of Pinochet Airlines.

It wouldn't surprise me if GabeN, realizing that his large knife collection won't cut through red tape, may just pack up his shit and move on after making one hell of a sale.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
EA market capitalisation is $36.37 billions, how big is Microsoft's warchest?
Around $120 billions.
They can suck in Valve (around 2-3bln), EA (36 bln) and PUBG (not even billion) and still got spare change.

MS can suck up EA and Activision any moment and not much loss will be done
Valve 2-3 billions , are u drunk?

Yeah cause I wrote p. old value (around 2008 or whatever, from Gabe himself after choosing between this and "when HL3" question), not sure if there were any new info.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Microsoft eating EA would be actually incline
It would just stagnate the market. More competitors is what creates better value for the consumer.
It would be like being an Apple user, only one store with not much choice. Thats why I use other platforms besides Steam, if we had only Steam, Gaben would just stop bothering and stopped improving it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It would just stagnate the market. More competitors is what creates better value for the consumer.
It would be like being an Apple user, only one store with not much choice. Thats why I use other platforms besides Steam, if we had only Steam, Gaben would just stop bothering and stopped improving it.
There is no competition on the market now,only two games that are competing are CoD and battlefield. Everyone have their own niche and is milking their whales. EA is trying to go for the mmo fps competition with anthem and it will fail as always. I must say that EA is the most stagnated of them all.

PS: All publishers are shit and should eat shit filled with razors!!!

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
There is no competition on the market now,only two games that are competing are CoD and battlefield. Everyone have their own niche and is milking their whales. EA is trying to go for the mmo fps competition with anthem and it will fail as always. I must say that EA is the most stagnated of them all.

Didnt that shit game PUBG sold like 28 million so far? There is also some serious hype around that cartoony shit called Sea of Thieves that could sell alot. Farcry is also pretty stronk saleswise.

And didnt know that Anthem wasnt singleplayer. From Bioware? Lol. Its gonna tank worse than Andromeda.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Didnt that shit game PUBG sold like 28 million so far? There is also some serious hype around that cartoony shit called Sea of Thieves that could sell alot. Farcry is also pretty stronk saleswise.

And didnt know that Anthem wasnt singleplayer. From Bioware? Lol. Its gonna tank worse than Andromeda.
PUGS it is a genre in it self,Sea of thieves will flop most likely. Strong sales doesn't equal competition mate. Farcry could flop hard or it could sell decent numbers,doubt that it will sell amazing.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, but they don't have FIFA exclusive? Football manager and Evolution soccer still have real teams.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
IIRC, only Fifa Ultimate Team packs gave em like $800 million last year on top of millions sold Fifa games.
Cant find link right now with the graphs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
IIRC, only Fifa Ultimate Team packs gave em like $800 million last year on top of millions sold Fifa games.
Revenue could be very deceiving mate. Had a neighbour once,big boss making millions,expensive cars,penthouse gorgeous whores and all the expensive shit,nice parties though. A few months later bunch of cops and liquidation judge come to knock on his door. He became broke and spend a year in a jail,lost everything. His company runned out of money and he couldn't pay his credits. You can't never know how well a certain company is doing unless you have the papers in front of you. Not many people suspected that Lehman brothers would go under the way they did.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Revenue could be very deceiving mate. Had a neighbour once,big boss making millions,expensive cars,penthouse gorgeous whores and all the expensive shit,nice parties though. A few months later bunch of cops and liquidation judge come to knock on his door. He became broke and spend a year in a jail,lost everything. His company runned out of money and he couldn't pay his credits. You can't never know how well a certain company is doing unless you have the papers in front of you. Not many people suspected that Lehman brothers would go under the way they did.
I think they will be just fine, bro. Sadly they are in a very good position with finances.
9KZiQtI.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think they will be just fine, bro. Sadly they are in a very good position with finances.
9KZiQtI.jpg
Yeah,they are amazing because you found some retarded graff on google. Come on mate,i can tell you that i make 100 zillions in a week and make you such a graff. I am trying to tell you that financial shit is a secret in every company and you never know what it is actually going on and you just splash some basic vague shit.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
9KZiQtI.jpg
Yeah,they are amazing because you found some retarded graff on google. Come on mate,i can tell you that i make 100 zillions in a week and make you such a graff. I am trying to tell you that financial shit is a secret in every company and you never know what it is actually going on and you just splash some basic vague shit.
Lol, its not like Im defending them. They have public shareholder meetings where they show all the fancy graphs. Thats pretty much where this one came from too.
From what I can see they had rough december with stock going down cause of BattleFront II outrage but now month after its back on november levels and its probably going to continue to rise.
When talking about their business practices vs the consumer they are one of the worst publishers. But financially they never had it better than now.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
9KZiQtI.jpg
Lol, its not like Im defending them. They have public shareholder meetings where they show all the fancy graphs. Thats pretty much where this one came from too.
From what I can see they had rough december with stock going down cause of BattleFront II outrage but now month after its back on november levels and its probably going to continue to rise.
When talking about their business practices vs the consumer they are one of the worst publishers. But financially they never had it better than now.
I am not saying that they are going under or are in debt,i am saying that nobody knows really. Also this graph is vague as hell,it could mean that they have 1000mills paying a debt or constructing a nuclear bunker in preparation for ww3. Also people do lie when it come to money....they do lie a lot. If you don't have the boxes with all the paper in front of you,then you don't know what actually is going on in a company,especially big one like EA. Graphs are useless and a nice way to mislead most people. Here it is a Lehman Bros graph,they were at their peak in the stock market and they did collapsed in a few days. It was great fun watching it,it will be great fun to watch when the rest go down in a decade time ;) .
563659-126929119979662-Brian-Rezny_origin.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since Electronic Arts is a publicly-traded company, its financial reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) are publicly available on-line. For EA's most-recently-concluded fiscal year, which ends March 31, it had net revenue of $4.845 billion and net income of $967 million.

"For fiscal year 2017, net revenue was $4,845 million and increased $449 million, or 10 percent, as compared to fiscal year 2016. This increase was driven by an $809 million increase in revenue primarily from the Star Wars, Battlefield, and FIFA franchises. This increase was partially offset by a $360 million decrease in revenue primarily from the Dragon Age, The Sims, and NHL franchises, and The Simpsons Tapped Out."

"• Total net revenue was $4,845 million, up 10 percent year-over-year. On a constant currency basis, we estimate that total net revenue would have been $4,992 million, up 14 percent year over year.
• Digital revenue was $2,874 million, up 19 percent year-over-year. Digital revenue comprised 59 percent of total net revenue.
• International net revenue was $2,726 million, up 10 percent year-over-year. On a constant currency basis, we estimate that international net revenue would have been $2,876 million, up 16 percent year over year.
• Gross margin was 73.2 percent, up 4.0 percentage points year-over-year.
• Operating expenses were $2,323 million, up 8 percent year-over-year. On a constant currency basis, we estimate that total operating expenses would have been $2,349 million, up 10 percent year over year.
• Operating income was $1,224 million, up 36 percent year-over-year.
Net income was $967 million, down 16 percent year-over-year. The decrease was primarily attributable to the $453 million income tax benefit in fiscal year 2016 related to the reversal of a significant portion of our deferred tax valuation allowance.
• Diluted earnings per share was $3.08, down 12 percent year-over-year.
• Operating cash flow was $1,383 million, up 13 percent year-over-year.
• Total cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments were $4,532 million."

I wonder what would happen to big EA sports licenses if Microsoft were to manage to swallow EA?

My guess would be Microsoft would be putting those games out on other systems like they do with Minecraft. Unless that NFL deal has changed over the years, the original deal was that EA had to release games on all the consoles.

Buying EA seems like a pretty fucking stupid move if it's for exclusives. They don't really have anything worth anything. People didn't buy the last Titanfall game. The Halo people's new game is dead. Gamers seems to be over Bioware now, and their games were never huge sellers anyways. The wind seems to change on a whim when it comes to the Battlefield series. They'd be getting that EA Sports money, but they'll probably have to put those on everything, which means it's not going to drive people to their system. Just seems like a waste of money, especially since Microsoft Studio just sits on IPs like Age of Empires, Perfect Dark, BettleTech, and Shadowrun...among others; just seems like a way to spend a few billion for a bunch of stuff you won't even be doing anything with in a few years.

With how much it comes up that someone is buying Take-Two, it kind of seems weird they're not who Microsoft is eyeing. Locking down Rockstar Games as exclusive to them seems like the biggest system seller you could ask for. On top of that they have a more diverse group of games that'd bring a greater range of people in.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
EA do have a lot of IPs and a few capable devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom