Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Dexter, Mar 5, 2013.

1. J1M Arcane

J1M
    I don't care about youtuber drama, but the only way to prove he isn't blacklisted is to pay him for the next game they release...

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    With Apex Legends it took me two games before I deleted it - first game I did nothing for minutes after landing but run around collecting stuff until finally making contact with the enemy and dying immediately. Second game one of my own teamies started abusing me over the mike the moment the game started and then upon landing I promptly died immediately.

I have no idea why tis genre is popular.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. J1M Arcane

J1M
    It taps into the part of the brain that responds well to gambling, people don't feel pressure to win, the scrounge and collect mechanics scratch the same itch as single-player, but most of all you can start a new match right away instead of being forced to spectate as a form of punishment for failure.

^ Top  
  4. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    You succ so bad you deleted the game after dying, fitting.

BR is unorthodox compared to standard TDM. Do or die against 60 - 100 people, instead of constant respawn against 10 - 20. There is no going back

• Shit Shit x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    The time investment doesn't seem worth the reward to me. I used to play a bit of CS, Sof2 and MOH:AA Objective modes where you only had a single life and loved those as you had a roughly 50/50 chance of winning, but in BR it seems you can spend ages doing nothing and miles from any action and the chances of winning are pretty miniscule.

^ Top  
  6. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I just realized that aside from trying a Beta I haven't played a single EA game since Dead Space 3 in 2013 (and before that Mirror's Edge in 2012 and Battlefield 3, Alice: Madness Returns, Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm in 2011) and a single BioWare game since Dragon Age 2/Star Wars: The Old Republic in 2011: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games

And I also realized that they really haven't even released a game that would particularly tempt me to since around the same time. Especially thankful for them fucking over the Battlefield series and cancelling Dead Space, since they were some of the last things I was interested in.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    The low chance of winning is probably part of why these games are so appealing to the casual gamer. When you have no realistic expectation to win then you don't feel bad about losing all the time.

^ Top  
  8. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    it's the other way around. Low chance of winning means success is even sweeter

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    No, my general understanding of casual psychology and game design for them says that Spectacle is right.

Basically casuals never want to feel like its their fault they lost. The more the casuals can be insulated from feeling responsible for their failures, the less they feel bad about failing (which, seeing as they are the lower-skill players, is destined to happen quite often).

If you look across the genres the games that are purely 1v1 are all super non-casual friendly, while more players makes it more casual friendly since a win is a win and a loss still means you can blame your team while feeling good about yourself. See e.g. MOBAs who literally have an intra-team rage fight every match over whose "fault" it was for losing, because to the casuals being able to shift blame to others is the key to feeling good about yourself. No one playing 1v1 Starcraft or Street Fighter has anyone to blame but themselves when they lose (which does genuinely feel bad).

Despite the fact that all of these genres nowadays tend to have very strict auto-matching systems literally designed to ensure you win roughly 50% of the time (unless you are the top 1% of players or bottom 1% of players), losing 50% of the time in a 5v5 game feels far less bad than losing 50% of the time in a 1v1 game.

BRs are just the logical extension. No one is supposed to win, so no one feels bad about losing. On top of that since everything is randomized everyone gets to blame bad luck at finding good weapons and so on as the reason for loss.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

• Funny Funny x 15
    ^ Top  
  11. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    I wish I could read twatter. I'm not sure what I'm reading.

Is that really EA making a sarcastic reply? Did they apologize for it already or when is it happening?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    :whatho:
    Did they had enough of progressivism and decided to make a change?!

^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I don't think EA's problem was ever about sjwankery. It is just that they are shit developers and wreck games from pure incompetence. Bungling nincompoops, in other words.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    They had for a CIO a swedish cuck! Also their last few game failed because of the sjw shit. Still i do agree they are shit and have shit games. But nothing that couldn't be fixed by having a nice neo-nazi at the helm.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Last one I heard was the microtransactions debacle in some dumb FPS, so I was basing off that and what the fuckers did to Ultima.

^ Top  
  16. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-our-organization

:discohitler: :balance:

• incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Will there be any outrage this time?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Depends on whether it's the diversity squad that gets the axe.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    probably

^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Hahaha did they decide to kick off all those SJW retards or is this Biowaste?

^ Top  
  21. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Is it true Anthem is a BASED game that destroys plebstations and make console kiddies cry?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    It's more like PS4 is a shit system that can break if you don't shut it down properly.
    But it does overheat them I guess if you never clean the dust.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Whatever they lose on Anthem they'll probably make up with Apex Legends, so I'd guess this is yet more trimming in the "not an online service" departments.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)