Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lonesome Road is Open

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p><a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/72760/" target="_blank"><strong>Lonesome Road</strong></a>, the latest Fallout: New Vegas DLC, can <a href="http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/20/lonesome-road-available-today/" target="_blank">now be yours</a> for the cost of a half-gallon of generic vodka or two Slinkys*. The choice is yours!</p>
<blockquote>Key Features:
<ul>
<li>New Terrain - Travel through the tortured landscape of the Divide, a wrecked locale torn apart by storms and earthquakes to find Ulysses, the original Courier Six. Shattered canyons, abandoned missile silos, military bases, and destroyed cityscapes await.</li>
<li>New Enemies - Take on the Tunnelers, the vicious Marked Men, and Ulysses himself!</li>
<li>New Weapons - As you make this treacherous journey you&rsquo;ll have a series of new weapons at your disposal, including the &lsquo;Red Glare&rsquo; Rocket Launcher, a Laser Detonator that can be used to set off abandoned warheads scattered throughout the environment, and a variety of Pre-War ordinance including Flare Guns, Satchel Charges, and Shoulder-Mounted Machine Guns.</li>
<li>New Perks - Lonesome Road increases the level cap by 5 and includes an array of new perks and recipes such as Auto-Inject Stimpaks, Bitter Drink and Snakebite Tourniquet.</li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p><br /><span style="font-size: xx-small;">*Original Metal Slinky only, No Plastic</span></p>

Jason

chasing a bee
You are correct that metal Slinkys are superior. However, the plastic Slinkys are priced around $1.50 more than their metal counterparts, which would invalidate my 2 Slinkys cost comparison with Lonesome Road. Accuracy is important to me.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So it's good but not great. I definitely preferred Old World Blues. Lonesome Road is closer to Dead Money, a very dense and guided experience, and pretty combat-centric.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
lonesome road: 9.99€
one new original metal slinky: 8.98€
why do you lie, baby arm? what are you trying to hide?!

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Just got to the "High Road" section. It seems very much like a mixed bag so far. The environments are linear but very well constructed, I like a lot of the items and other crap that they added (just before shutting down I found a carryable bedroll on the side of the road), and it's nice to get to find out a little bit more about ED-E. The real point of contention for me thus far is Ulysses. Whenever he contacts you...well, if they tried to make the dude any more mysterious and pseudo-mystical he'd be a Final Fantasy villain. I keep waiting for some sort of reveal or reversal that makes all of his melodrama click into order and make sense. Hopefully it'll clean itself up, but right now I'm kind of worried that all of this build-up isn't going to go anywhere.

Marobug

spacemoose said:
some disclosure is in order, bud. are you short or long slinkies, and on what tiemframe

punctuation, use it for fuck's sake

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mister Arkham said:
I keep waiting for some sort of reveal or reversal that makes all of his melodrama click into order and make sense. Hopefully it'll clean itself up, but right now I'm kind of worried that all of this build-up isn't going to go anywhere.

Oh. Errr. Ugh. Hate to break it to you.

Jason

chasing a bee
Jesus Tranny-Humping Christ, people. If you're expecting me to take the time to explain the ins and outs of Slikynomics to children and foreigners, well you've got another thing coming.
Original Metal Slinky Price: $5.32
Plastic Slinky Original Neon Price: $6.12

Off-topic: Just bought Lonesome Road. Download in progress. Not too excited about the linear comments.

I keep waiting for some sort of reveal or reversal that makes all of his melodrama click into order and make sense.
The whole idea that this is the big showdown of the series has me a bit confused. There was a mention in the base game about the guy not taking the job so the Courier would get it. The logs in OWB tell us that he's looking for the Courier for whatever reason along with his flag symbols scattered about. Not exactly a nail-biting buildup.

Didn't play Dead Money so maybe I'm missing something (guessing not from Kharn's comment).

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jason said:
I keep waiting for some sort of reveal or reversal that makes all of his melodrama click into order and make sense.
The whole idea that this is the big showdown of the series has me a bit confused. There was a mention in the base game about the guy not taking the job so the Courier would get it. The logs in OWB tell us that he's looking for the Courier for whatever reason along with his flag symbols scattered about. Not exactly a nail-biting buildup.

Didn't play Dead Money so maybe I'm missing something (guessing not from Kharn's comment).

Every mention of him in Dead Money is basically the same as in OWB (since the characters of Dead Money met him in the OWB). You learn more about him in OWB anyway, like how he apparently asked a question that the Think Tank gave dangerous answers to. The only other thing you get in Dead Money is the usual closing slide show with your companions receiving word of two couriers exchanging messages in the Divide.

In my opinion, if they wanted some great big show down with Ulysses, then this should have been a full expansion. It would have been interesting to be fighting a person in a full length fallout game instead of trying to stop some army.

Did anyone else work for House only to find Ulysses refer to them as NCR people? I can't remember how open your relationship is with House until the move on the dam, so this may be justified.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Good but not great" seems to be a theme with the NV DLC.

They should release the supermegaultra GOTY edition already so I can spend my money on this shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
villain of the story said:
They should just release the source so someone can turn it into isometric TB and there would be much rejoicing.
Even with source code, that wouldn't happen. Sorry.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, ok. Good to have a definitive authoritative voice around here.
Making it isometric and TB means that the modders would have to build the game from ground up. (At least if you think about making its gameplay similar to F1-2.) Do you know how much work would that take? It's not just putting the camera above the characters.

Vibalist

Arcane
J_C said:
Oh, ok. Good to have a definitive authoritative voice around here.
Making it isometric and TB means that the modders would have to build the game from ground up. (At least if you think about making its gameplay similar to F1-2.) Do you know how much work would that take? It's not just putting the camera above the characters.

J_C - Taking stupid attempts at trolling seriously since 2010.

Drakron

Arcane
Aldebaran said:
You learn more about him in OWB anyway, like how he apparently asked a question that the Think Tank gave dangerous answers to.

Doctor Morbius tell you what he asked the Think Tank, he asked how to build a nation and how to destroy a nation.

The reason it was dangerous is he make then remember America and that was bad because they were now programed to think there was only Big Mountain, remembering meant they would recall there was a world outside the fence and actively try to escape.

In my opinion, if they wanted some great big show down with Ulysses, then this should have been a full expansion. It would have been interesting to be fighting a person in a full length fallout game instead of trying to stop some army.

And I say no.

Ulysses does not warrant a full expansion, he was designed as a companion and this was recycling and we can even see the trappings of him being the "Legion companion", this whole story seems tacked on and there is really not much to go on, he is no Graham.

Did anyone else work for House only to find Ulysses refer to them as NCR people? I can't remember how open your relationship is with House until the move on the dam, so this may be justified.

I think it just looks at reputation, House is not much of a faction per say in terms of reputation and since many of his quests overlap with NCR quests chances are you raising NCR reputation by doing then, considering House only gives you a quest that will lower NCR reputation with the one were he sends you to El Dorado substation, the Battle of Hoover Dam is the next one so you can see how he is likely to think you are NCR

Also I checked and it seems it looks for TheStrip reputation, I suppose it also checks if House is dead (well it does as there are dialog about House being dead) to see if you are in Independent Vegas or not but I suppose that only happens when its on the giving you that coat at the end.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Steam says TLR is "not available in your region" :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom