Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What do the experts on Codex think of it?

It is more of a Bard's Tale clone than a Wizardry clone. It's fun at first but for me it became repetitive quite quickly and there was waaay too much combat - you cannot do 3 steps or even turn around without encountering a group of enemies.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

It is more of a Bard's Tale clone than a Wizardry clone. It's fun at first but for me it became repetitive quite quickly and there was waaay too much combat - you cannot do 3 steps or even turn around without encountering a group of enemies.

Cool - thanks. I assume playable and not very buggy.

I will have a look to purchase - looks like it can be a little BT remastered fix.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Cool - thanks. I assume playable and not very buggy.

I will have a look to purchase - looks like it can be a little BT remastered fix.

I didn't encounter any bugs when I played it, I also have the GamersGate version. It seems very polished and has really good artworks too, so definitely worth a look if you like Bard's Tale ;)

Oh but make sure to read up some information first or at least the manual. The game doesn't explain anything.

Suicidal

Arcane
The thing is, if you want to play wizardry-clones, you gotta learn Japanese or wait for translation. Sadly, but it's the true.

Indeed. The worst part is that most fan translators (besides our very own, of course), are casuals who only translate derivative JRPGs or VNs. Y'know, stuff they actually play. We lucked out with some of these translations, I swear. I think LoT only got translated because it was part of the Touhou fan-game.

Thank god for companies like Atlus/NISA. We'd be wiz-likeless for the most part.

We should send a couple of Lithuanian hitmen to abduct some Japanese guy and then lock him up in a cellar and force him to translate all jap dungeon crawlers, tactical games and good indie RPGs.

H-K

Learned
The thing is, if you want to play wizardry-clones, you gotta learn Japanese or wait for translation. Sadly, but it's the true.

Indeed. The worst part is that most fan translators (besides our very own, of course), are casuals who only translate derivative JRPGs or VNs. Y'know, stuff they actually play. We lucked out with some of these translations, I swear. I think LoT only got translated because it was part of the Touhou fan-game.

Thank god for companies like Atlus/NISA. We'd be wiz-likeless for the most part.

We should send a couple of Lithuanian hitmen to abduct some Japanese guy and then lock him up in a cellar and force him to translate all jap dungeon crawlers, tactical games and good indie RPGs.
Wouldn't work since most Japanese guys have abysmal English skills.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i vote for Google translations of all japanese games. have you guys read the google-translation of the japanese elminage wiki?

that shit is amazing. i especially love the usage of the word "van-guard" when talking about your party's front row; and a godly mention goes to Google's use of the description "as the top of a Mountain" when referring to the most useful gear or skills in a certain context.

during descriptions of the Ibag Tower content (elminage's post-game 20f dungeon which no one has completed ever except possibly Courtier soon) the talk of the "declination of the breastplate vow" had me scratching my head until I deciphered they're talking about -AC.

:D :D :D

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i vote for Google translations of all japanese games. have you guys read the google-translation of the japanese elminage wiki?

that shit is amazing. i especially love the usage of the word "van-guard" when talking about your party's front row; and a godly mention goes to Google's use of the description "as the top of a Mountain" when referring to the most useful gear or skills in a certain context.

Most likely, that's less Google, and more Japanese idioms being translated literally. Either way, I would find it pretty painful if the game has any real writing whatsoever.

Though I wouldn't say no to it.

Suicidal

Arcane

Wouldn't work since most Japanese guys have abysmal English skills.

Pay the hitmen some extra potato to do a profiling of potential victims and target only those with adequate English skills (university students, etc.)

laclongquan

Arcane
No. Just No. Trust me on this: Google Translate will fuck your brain with their work on Japanese. And the editing effort to clean up after it is mountainous. Even the idiom-less basic forms, let alone some fancy wordings.

Also, after the work is more or less ready to go, players will find mountain of typo, bugs, and grammar problem to sneer at. It's incredibly disheartening for workers.

It's the nature of the beast~ If it's easy or doable we would have done way earlier, not now~

H-K

Learned
I enjoy playing Japanese games with the help of Wiki and notes for character races, classes, spells and skills since it reminds me of playing games in English when I was younger and hardly grasped that language and the spells were in the manual so you needed notes for them anyway (at least in the beginning).

Edit: It's kinda like an extension of the mapping and note taking you'd do anyway on these kind of games. I'm playing Operation Abyss in English right now and the unlimited automap with a minimap which even work in dark areas can go fuck itself, the best implemented automap in these Japanese crawlers are the Dark Spire since it doesn't show your position.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
To be fair, you are better off learning Japanese than waiting for translation. The sole reason I'm studying japanese is to play more and more japanese Wizardries. By the time you have mastered Japanese, there'll be thousands non-translated wizardries clones to play. So waiting for translation will accomplish nothing at all.

Siveon

Bot
To be fair, you are better off learning Japanese than waiting for translation. The sole reason I'm studying japanese is to play more and more japanese Wizardries. By the time you have mastered Japanese, there'll be thousands non-translated wizardries clones to play. So waiting for translation will accomplish nothing at all.
I'd only do that when I effectively run out of dungeon crawlers. And since we seem to getting one every year or so at the moment, plus the amount of ones that I haven't played...

I'm good on that front. You'd have to beat one every month (or two weeks) to find that worth the cost of admission.

I'm playing Operation Abyss in English right now and the unlimited automap with a minimap which even work in dark areas can go fuck itself

Agreed. Persona 1 pulled the same shit, it just cheapens the experience imo. Still, the combat and the crafting is pretty interesting.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you guys know i was joking right?

declination of the breastplate vow? nobody wants to read that.

H-K

Learned
I'd only do that when I effectively run out of dungeon crawlers. And since we seem to getting one every year or so at the moment, plus the amount of ones that I haven't played...

I'm good on that front. You'd have to beat one every month (or two weeks) to find that worth the cost of admission.

I'm playing Operation Abyss in English right now and the unlimited automap with a minimap which even work in dark areas can go fuck itself

Agreed. Persona 1 pulled the same shit, it just cheapens the experience imo. Still, the combat and the crafting is pretty interesting.
It's like the developers don't realize why the dark areas were dark to begin with. Same thing with spinners.

Siveon

Bot
you guys know i was joking right?

declination of the breastplate vow? nobody wants to read that.
It's hard to read sarcasm through pure text. Also, I may be working on a write-up (don't quote me on that), but it depends on my free time. Hint: It's on Etrian Odyssey Untold.

I also vote for calling this thread the Wizardry Repository. I dunno, I like quick, snappy names. (A sticky would be nice too, mods)

It's like the developers don't realize why the dark areas were dark to begin with. Same thing with spinners.
Funny enough an extremely similar game by the same publisher, Demon Gaze, kinda did spinners right in that regard. Whenever you enter a spinner, it only shows the icon and the area around. The map doesn't rotate so you'd theoretically be lost. If not for the fact the game is Dungeon Crawlers for Otaku Babbies this would be a good thing.

I think they even disable automap on the dark tiles? I forget. I dropped it when I saw that you can spam special attacks for fighters and the majority of the dungeons are just damage tiles.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so i drank an energy drink and out of boredom decided to inlcude the might and magic series. don't think we should go any further than that though as including every single dungeon crawler is way out of the scope of this thread.

i think including the might and magic series is fair enough as it was directly inspired by wizardry in the spiritual and competitive sense, if not mechanically. there would be no might and magic if there had been no wizardry series.

of course going by that logic then we'd have to include THE ENTIRE LIBRARY OF JAPANESE RPGS EVER MADE since the entire genre was inspired by wizardry.

so i think i'll stop adding series for now.

Viata

Arcane
Might as well change the name of the thread to Dungeon Crawlers inspired by Wizardry. This way, there's no need to include all JRPG as only the early one and wizardry-clones are dungeon crawler.

H-K

Learned
The Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor games should probably be removed from the OP since they are isometric strategy RPGs and not dungeon crawlers even though they have good party building and are excellent games in their own right.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
The Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor games should probably be removed from the OP since they are isometric strategy RPGs and not dungeon crawlers even though they have good party building and are excellent games in their own right.
Pfft, more.

1. Remove 'Shin Megami Tensei' part from Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, since it has nothing to do with mainline SMT games.
2. Add Devil Summoner.
3. Replace horrendous PSX screens of 'if...' with SNES screenshots.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i found new pictures of the bard's tale remake. it's under the NES section. ZING!

btw, bard's tale 2 was also ported to the NES but remain in Moon Runes. they look AMAZING graphically.

- BT 2 jp NES
Bard's%20Tale%20II,%20The%20-%20The%20Destiny%20Knight%20(J).png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok i removed the devil survivor games.

there are plenty of pictures of devil summoner 1 (i.e. NOT FUCKING SOUL HACKERS GOOGLE) in moby games but it's not in english. pls add it to the second post in the thread.

281543-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-sega-saturn-screenshot-optional.png

Siveon

Bot
aweigh

If you want to add not-particularly-Wiz-likes-but-still-worth-nothing to the list, you could repurpose the third post to be an "also see:" section. That way you could add the Might & Magics, Ultima Underworlds, etc. While still keeping the original post full-on Wizardry.

There is a translated script on romhacking.net forums.

You could add an addendum to the post for that game, but I don't think it belongs in the English section.

H-K

Learned
ok i removed the devil survivor games.

there are plenty of pictures of devil summoner 1 (i.e. NOT FUCKING SOUL HACKERS GOOGLE) in moby games but it's not in english. pls add it to the second post in the thread.

281543-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-sega-saturn-screenshot-optional.png
There is a translated script on romhacking.net forums.
Added to the second post as
真・女神転生デビルサマナー - Megami Ibunroku Devil Summoner. Have you played it and if so for what system? I remember trying the PSP port a few years back and getting frustrated at the negotiations.

Edit: I usually get frustrated at the negotiations in English too so I'm not sure I would have preformed any better had I understood them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom