Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Deflowerer

Arcane
Should've used Finno-Ugric languages as a basis, not this Jew shit. Good riddance!

Deflowerer

Arcane
Nah, they are short enough.

But imagine, instead of "MADALTO", typing "JÄÄ-ÄÄR" (means edge of ice). Awesome!

Ventidius

Arbiter
So apparently, Mary Skelter is coming to PC. Does anyone know if it's worth it? How does it compare to other Japanese crawlers like Dungeon Travelers 2 or the Operation series?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
So apparently, Mary Skelter is coming to PC. Does anyone know if it's worth it? How does it compare to other Japanese crawlers like Dungeon Travelers 2 or the Operation series?

it's inferior. like always Compile heart have some nice ideas but the balancing ect sucks... also be prepared for a lot of text, I mean A LOT. the story did ended up somewhat interesting but I skipped so many scene...
the dungeon design at first is ass, eventually it gets better near the end of the game but can't say it's great either. (it somewhat reminds me of class of heroes...)
I have to say though some of the music is nice and it's probably the best dungeon crawler(or even game) from compile heart so far.
and that's why I ordered the sequel, I have no hope for it being better but the music seems similar and I've been extremely bored.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The sequel comes with a "remake" of the first Mary Skelter. What kind of remake it is I dunno, considering it's bundled free with the sequel and this wasn't exactly the kind of game a publisher will spend much money on "remaking".

I imagine it will be same as the original release except with changed dungeon layouts, like a port with extra content.

I wanted to ask Dorarnae , what have been the recent crawlers that you've enjoyed? Which ones you looking foward to right now?

Ventidius

Arbiter

it's inferior. like always Compile heart have some nice ideas but the balancing ect sucks... also be prepared for a lot of text, I mean A LOT. the story did ended up somewhat interesting but I skipped so many scene...
the dungeon design at first is ass, eventually it gets better near the end of the game but can't say it's great either. (it somewhat reminds me of class of heroes...)
I have to say though some of the music is nice and it's probably the best dungeon crawler(or even game) from compile heart so far.
and that's why I ordered the sequel, I have no hope for it being better but the music seems similar and I've been extremely bored.

Thanks for the input. That's a shame, I guess I got my hopes up because of the superficial similarites with DT2.

Dorarnae

Arbiter

Thanks for the input. That's a shame, I guess I got my hopes up because of the superficial similarites with DT2.

It's funny because when I first played DT2, I wasn't hoping for anything good but ended up surprised. So when I tried Moero Chronicle, I told myself ''well DT2 was actually pretty good, so maybe this could be a hidden gem too...'' but no it's not hehe.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
The sequel comes with a "remake" of the first Mary Skelter. What kind of remake it is I dunno, considering it's bundled free with the sequel and this wasn't exactly the kind of game a publisher will spend much money on "remaking".

I imagine it will be same as the original release except with changed dungeon layouts, like a port with extra content.

I wanted to ask Dorarnae , what have been the recent crawlers that you've enjoyed? Which ones you looking foward to right now?

recent I've enjoyed. I dunno, so far for 2018 I haven't played many dungeon crawler. I guess I am looking for Etrian Odyssey Cross, that hoist the sword remake <3.
but other than that, I haven't been doing much. Trying to survive the heat now, I don't have a air conditioner and it's very hot outside this week :S.

Ventidius

Arbiter

It's funny because when I first played DT2, I wasn't hoping for anything good but ended up surprised. So when I tried Moero Chronicle, I told myself ''well DT2 was actually pretty good, so maybe this could be a hidden gem too...'' but no it's not hehe.

Yep, that was basically my thought process as well. Then again, I bought DT2 because I already trusted Sting due to their outstanding Dept. Heaven series, even though the latter are not dungeon crawlers. Can't go wrong when following the trail of the good devs, heh.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
So I was grinding in Wizardry empire 2(ps1). I sub classed some character who are now about lvl 15 and others are around lvl 21-22. then I see aweigh video :

Your character are higher than mine but overall I'll have more hp(even way more with some char). Your AC doesn't seem really high and you seem to be doing well in the abyss.(or maybe not, that character who is 75 years old lol).
I am wondering if they nerfed/balanced the pc version because I remember getting beheaded like crazy down there and they hit like a truck.(they also have a ton of HP).

for the most part in the ps1 version it's not too bad, til you reach that point, the difficulty spike is huge.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I can confirm that in the PC version the trip down to 5th, 6th and 7th floors is (pun intended) pure hell. The difficulty spike is insane, and since most players fall into the trap in the 3rd floor it's quite a killer for unprepared parties. I highly doubt they made it easier, or for that matter I doubt they made it harder either because then it would be impossible.

And yeah motherfucking 75yo char kept fucking dying on me throughout the end-game, lol. I would spend so much time reviving that fucking char and hoping it wouldn't turn into a ghost!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They did add more items and a few new bosses in the PC version... I'm surprised you've never bothered playing it. They also added an extra 4th area to the Temple of the Gods.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
They did add more items and a few new bosses in the PC version... I'm surprised you've never bothered playing it. They also added an extra 4th area to the Temple of the Gods.
yeah I'll have to try it someday, I am curious now to see the difference...thing is I was finding the game to be a choir a bit because of how insane those floor are. but now I think I am having a good party, I'll need to farm a lot more still but I think I'll be able to do something, unlike last time where I relied on my very high summoner to abuse the chesto spell...

Twizman

Scholar
Got back into DT2 last night. Had a lot of fun traversing Mostar Catacombs. The mutant fights seem super unbalanced, compared to the rest of game. Feels like rng whether multiple party members get ohko'd.

Ready to start Prisoners of the Battles! :D The music themes in town are beautiful.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Got back into DT2 last night. Had a lot of fun traversing Mostar Catacombs. The mutant fights seem super unbalanced, compared to the rest of game. Feels like rng whether multiple party members get ohko'd.

Ready to start Prisoners of the Battles! :D The music themes in town are beautiful.

monster in DT2 hurt but in general a witch should do the job for the main story, just get a pally with cover/defender/parry and you should be good, til you meet bigger normal mob which are a bit dangerous sometime.

and yeah prisoners of the battle is <3.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I was checking facebook and saw Starfish SD post some message. but it was only saying that their server is back up so people can send them message again and browse their site I guess.
anyway when I saw the post at first I was excited but man I really want a new game from them :(

Twizman

Scholar
I read about the strength of a Witch in the main story, but haven't got Lucy quite firing with her AoE elemental magic not doing enough damage. Actually dropped her last night for a second Maid after getting ko'd frequently in Khorramshahr. Can you recommend where to spend my skill points for my developing Witch? Lu is a level 22 Sorceress, level 6 magic mastery, level 2 Ice Storm and Thunder Chain. I do have a Pally with Cover/Defender in Sasara.

I also just recruited Fiora- if I recall she becomes quite powerful in the lategame and through postgame as a Magical Princess. Can you advise where to allocate her skill points to optimize the class?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
should be ok for now I guess for the sorceress, do respect once you hit lvl 30 though, the sorceress spell are kinda useless once you become a witch. (the passive are still good though).
I often played with a berserker too, so sometime I could use the team attack(witch and dark lord) 'nightmare' something, it's actually quite strong.

Magical Princess is OP in the post game but that's because of their speed and self buff that boost their stat and they do good dmg. But they need a lot of TP so I wouldn't recommend them early on.
I guess the reason why people like Fiora is because of her unique ability which can nulify an attack sometime.(it is actually good)

I'd personally play with a second magic user, probably a bishop I think it is? the one with circle nurse, which is quite useful. always good to have a party member with circle heal too, just spam it. might be a bit costly in tp but keep spending point in that skill that recovers hp/tp after battle with the maid. you can always run from battle to recover some tp too with that skill.

also do the quest, there's some optional dungeon sometime, and doing them will help to get some extra xp so that your character aren't too weak.

Twizman

Scholar
Thanks Dorarnae. I have an Enchantress which I believe can't class change to Bishop. I will respec her and the Witch when they hit 30.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Thanks Dorarnae. I have an Enchantress which I believe can't class change to Bishop. I will respec her and the Witch when they hit 30.
well bishop isn't a must but I like them. but I like to have at least a priestess for circle heal for a good part of the game. you can heal with items but it's a bit expensive in the beginning.(later on it's a good option though, since circle heal has a cap).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom