Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a 2D space roguelike/lite with soul

hello friend

Arcane
Any good ones? Something with that special magic - with good art, meaningful ship customisation options and strategy, fair to good worldbuilding, preferably turn based - doesn't have to be tho. And possible to get to run on Windows 7 with reasonably modest effort.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any good ones? Something with that special magic - with good art, meaningful ship customisation options and strategy, fair to good worldbuilding, preferably turn based - doesn't have to be tho. And possible to get to run on Windows 7 with reasonably modest effort.
I assume you heard of FTL right..

V_K

Arcane
I kinda liked Out There, it's extremely atmospheric. But it's a special beast - there's no combat, only survival and CYOA sequences (don't worry, deep space can kill you pretty efficiently on its own).
(but I'm not generally a fan of roguelikes, nor space games, so take my opinion with a grain of salt)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You should foget about graphics and just play Prospector, coz it's the best thing among space roguelikes. Trust me, I've tried them all. Not like there are many.

FTL and Out There are gud in their own niche thing, but you won't find exploration in these games.

Ignore Space Rangers. Adoring this game is just some weird Codex mental disorder I'll never understand. If you like that kind of gameplay, go for Vangers or Sunless Sea (no space theme in either of them), but avoid SR at all costs. It's bland at best.

Edit: oh, and AuroraRL is p.gud, but still in early development.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
And since we started this topic, there is one paricular space roguelike I haven't tried, but kinda wanted to. Approaching Infinity. Looks like Prospector-ish experience.

ajztutcldr.jpg

lswgyrnwhy.jpg

dwzxntklzk.jpg

Codex hivemind, tell me what you know about Approaching Infinity. Is it gud? Is it better than Prospector, or at least similiar to it? Is it worth buyin?

hello friend

Arcane
I played Transcendence for a while somewhere between 3-5 years ago. Fun enough timewaster, but it didn't really grab me. Have there been many changes the last few years?

FTL isn't bad at all, but it's a bit sparse. I was hoping there was some old gold along the lines of MoO or the first HoMMs (in terms of quality and feel, not type of gameplay). Seems like the subgenre never had that great classic game people have been trying to top since. I guess I'll start with Out There and/or Prospector, and see where I go from there.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I played Transcendence for a while somewhere between 3-5 years ago. Fun enough timewaster, but it didn't really grab me. Have there been many changes the last few years?
There's a different campaign but I haven't tried it yet, since it's not free. There's also an expansion pack for the normal game, ditto about that. Haven't been terribly interested in either since they revolve around the relatively mundane factions instead of the freaky pseudo-alien stuff towards the endgame.

Aside from that, I can't really recall what the game did or didn't have 3-5 years ago. I think the biggest difference would be in mods- there are mods now that let you swap ships while playing for example, so you can trade in your little yacht for some giant bulky monstrosity with multiple weapon turrets with dozens of massive armour plates. Or something reasonable instead I suppose. There are also a few mods for turning the relatively dull normal map into a much larger, much less linear affair in which you can quickly find yourself massively out of your depth, or sperg out farming pirates (or asteroids) for considerably longer than the base game allows. There have also been improvements to the graphics and UI over the years, but I never found either of those lacking so I didn't pay much attention to the details of what was changed.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ignore Space Rangers. Adoring this game is just some weird Codex mental disorder I'll never understand. If you like that kind of gameplay, go for Vangers or Sunless Sea (no space theme in either of them), but avoid SR at all costs. It's bland at best.
Youll never understand because youre a stupid fuck. Space Rangers 2 oozes atmosphere. Not to mention plays amazing and theres nothing out there like it.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Youll never understand because youre a stupid fuck. Space Rangers 2 oozes atmosphere. Not to mention plays amazing and theres nothing out there like it.

possibly_retarded.png

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Void Expanse is good. It is a top down view. Decent skill trees for pilots like in Space Wolves or whatever that trilogy is called, decent ship customization, workshop mods, I think the graphics are good. Controls are really good with great KBM support.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, it's a Russian game, can't be as bad as you make it.

Epsilon

Cipher
Anyone tried Approaching Infinity?
  • Single-player, addictive turn based rogue-like gameplay in a unique sci-fi universe. "I promise, one more turn and I'm coming to bed, hon..." Oh, you liar, you.
  • Designed for both casual and experienced players of the rogue-like genre. Tool tips, contextual commands, tutorial, and a sensible UI all help to make Approaching Infinity highly accessible.
  • Procedurally generated environments. Explore planets, derelict vessels, temples, space stations, ruined cities, and alien embassies.
  • Enjoy both randomly generated and hand crafted quests, along with various victory conditions of differing difficulties.
  • Encounter over 70+ devices, 50+ skills, 98+ effects, and 99+ monsters.
  • Hire officers that can level up and acquire new skills.
  • Create Away Teams, but be warned, if the captain goes down and dies a horrible (or even a pleasant) death, it's game over. The captain can't always sit it out in his chair though, as sometimes only the captain can solve the encounter.
  • A nifty "pay it forward" mechanic. Spend current game currency to invest in future games!
  • Full modding support, including a separate modding manual. Violate intellectual property laws with new visuals, names, quests, and more, no coding needed
It's got a demo http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Demos/DD_AI_win.html hefty price though at 40$.

Fug

Educated
Anyone tried Approaching Infinity?
  • Single-player, addictive turn based rogue-like gameplay in a unique sci-fi universe. "I promise, one more turn and I'm coming to bed, hon..." Oh, you liar, you.
  • Designed for both casual and experienced players of the rogue-like genre. Tool tips, contextual commands, tutorial, and a sensible UI all help to make Approaching Infinity highly accessible.
  • Procedurally generated environments. Explore planets, derelict vessels, temples, space stations, ruined cities, and alien embassies.
  • Enjoy both randomly generated and hand crafted quests, along with various victory conditions of differing difficulties.
  • Encounter over 70+ devices, 50+ skills, 98+ effects, and 99+ monsters.
  • Hire officers that can level up and acquire new skills.
  • Create Away Teams, but be warned, if the captain goes down and dies a horrible (or even a pleasant) death, it's game over. The captain can't always sit it out in his chair though, as sometimes only the captain can solve the encounter.
  • A nifty "pay it forward" mechanic. Spend current game currency to invest in future games!
  • Full modding support, including a separate modding manual. Violate intellectual property laws with new visuals, names, quests, and more, no coding needed
It's got a demo http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Demos/DD_AI_win.html hefty price though at 40$.
Looks interesting, but yeah $40 for a roguelike? It had better be one of the greatest roguelikes I have ever played for that price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom