Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking For an Engine to Suit my Heeds and Desires.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
If you have some time to spare and you have programming / 3D knowledge, i suggest to invest in a custom engine of yours.
Granted, it may take you more tme to build a workable engine but then the customization will be much faster.
You can use another 3rd party editor and such, no need to have them attached to engine and such. There are plenty of free libraries for everything, in this era you can just assemble anything you want and call it an engine, assuming the libraries are properly licensed.
If you don't have programming experience, i guess Unity and such solutions are faster in almost every aspect. Unreal i find it quite an overkill for a 2D game (even Unity i find an overkill). I find Unity games to have performance problems when they are not programmed properly.
If you invest on a 3rd party engine, be prepared to invest a lot of time in their forums for doing this or that and then you have some bugs which you may be unable to solve and also lose some time there as well. Never heard many good things about Unity support.
I find Unity solutions to be best when you are only striving for producting a game, not learning the technology behind it or becoming a better programmer and obviously when you don't want to code much. I am a long time programmer, invested lot of time in my own custom engine and i really hate editor-like engines like Unity or Unreal (lesser editing degree than Unity). Of course, you can find thousand people saying Unity is a must and i somewhat agree.
This is a new era.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Unity is a good starting point if you just want to make a game and have a lot of answers available while being a complete beginner when it comes to programming, sort of a playground for your first efforts or 'easy mode'. Here's a catch: it's a good starting point only if you avoid stuff from Asset Store like a plague unless you really need it. Otherwise you won't learn shit and will start yet another 'looking for an engine' thread or beg others to do the lifting for you (and idiots like these are pretty frequent, even on Codex).

I've programmed mine mostly from experience I've got from playing around with the engine (except for an editor plugin to speed up certain tasks and a pathfinding solution I added during the prototyping stage and never bothered to replace with my own since it worked flawlessly), but now I get real urges to invest more time into C and programming my own simple engine since I don't need AAA-level graphics and have a harder time relying on whatever piece of code I didn't write myself after writing and rewriting code and keeping track of the whole codebase (with a few minor exceptions like SDL). I've already had issues with Unity at one point due to an internal bug that forced me to upgrade the editor and rewrite a few bits and pieces for the new API.

TL/DR: Unity is a good starting point if you program the rest (everything or almost everything else) yourself, but you need to look forward to leaving it behind and digging deeper if you actually want to get good at programming.

Unity is a good starting point if you just want to make a game and have a lot of answers available while being a complete beginner when it comes to programming, sort of a playground for your first efforts or 'easy mode'. Here's a catch: it's a good starting point only if you avoid stuff from Asset Store like a plague unless you really need it. Otherwise you won't learn shit and will start yet another 'looking for an engine' thread or beg others to do the lifting for you (and idiots like these are pretty frequent, even on Codex).

I've programmed mine mostly from experience I've got from playing around with the engine (except for an editor plugin to speed up certain tasks and a pathfinding solution I added during the prototyping stage and never bothered to replace with my own since it worked flawlessly), but now I get real urges to invest more time into C and programming my own simple engine since I don't need AAA-level graphics and have a harder time relying on whatever piece of code I didn't write myself after writing and rewriting code and keeping track of the whole codebase (with a few minor exceptions like SDL). I've already had issues with Unity at one point due to an internal bug that forced me to upgrade the editor and rewrite a few bits and pieces for the new API.

TL/DR: Unity is a good starting point if you program the rest (everything or almost everything else) yourself, but you need to look forward to leaving it behind and digging deeper if you actually want to get good at programming.

But U***y can't do isometric. You would have a hell of time trying anything isometric. All U***y will do is waste your time and slow you down in the long run when you realise U***y can't deliver the goods.
U***y is a scam engine made by scammers that business model is based around sucking noobs in with absurd promises and then doing the bait and switch with the asset store - whilst theoretically possible to make a game the chances of having anything decent at the end are the same as winning the lotto. The amount of effort you have to put in to get something decent means you have to break the engine to succeed. Why bother with the frustration.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

But U***y can't do isometric. You would have a hell of time trying anything isometric. All U***y will do is waste your time and slow you down in the long run when you realise U***y can't deliver the goods.
U***y is a scam engine made by scammers that business model is based around sucking noobs in with absurd promises and then doing the bait and switch with the asset store - whilst theoretically possible to make a game the chances of having anything decent at the end are the same as winning the lotto. The amount of effort you have to put in to get something decent means you have to break the engine to succeed. Why bother with the frustration.
Can't say much about isometric games, since I'm more interested in first person dungeon crawlers, but should be possible to pull off if you know how isometric games work under the hood. What was the problem in your case?

You are not helping. wants to make 2D game which Unity does very well. I couldn't reccommend it enough for that kind of game

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Years ago when I made my first game, I used to use Poser to render out 3D characters as 2D. There was a company at the time called Daz3D, who started around the time I did, and they quickly took over the world of Poser.

How did they do it? They created an inferior version of Poser and gave it away for free. They built a portal around this Poser knock-off, where artists could sell their stuff on it. They got people to buy from their portal by having high prices, yet regular sales at deep discounts up to 50% off. This was meant to get people addicted to saving money, by spending all their money on stuff they will never use, and it worked.

Does this sound familiar to you? Well it should. It is the exact same model Unity uses.

There was a 3D game engine I used to use and whenever Unity was criticized on its forums, there was a lurker who always jumped out to defend it. He never contributed to any conversation unless Unity was criticized. lol Well it turns out this lurker was a programmer from Unity, and before he was finally booted from the forums, he let it slip that the asset store makes them twice as much money as their engine. This was around 5 years ago, so the ratio could be much greater now, as they've had more time to refine their psychological warfare/marketing techniques.

AlexYeCu

Novice
Does anyone know of an engine that is isometric or top-down 2D that would support a party-based RPG? Something in the vein of Infinity Engine, ToEE, or the engine Fallout used. Any help is appreciated.

Love 2d
Videos with my old abandoned project:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4SJQ3qwve9cIdj35l-MVQ

The engine is good enough, but has some problems with utf-8 text input and rendering of thousands of sprites. But it is easy to use, flexible. cross-platform.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Does anyone know of an engine that is isometric or top-down 2D that would support a party-based RPG? Something in the vein of Infinity Engine, ToEE, or the engine Fallout used. Any help is appreciated.

Love 2d
Videos with my old abandoned project:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4SJQ3qwve9cIdj35l-MVQ

The engine is good enough, but has some problems with utf-8 text input and rendering of thousands of sprites. But it is easy to use, flexible. cross-platform.
Well thanks for responding to my thread that died almost two years ago with something constructive
:necro:

Mustawd

Well thanks for responding to my thread that died almost two years ago with something constructive

Now we just have to resurrect all your unfinished LPs....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom