Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Renevent

Cipher
Looks really neat...also really like the art work.

We are working hard to create a video for the campaign which features many new images and gameplay clips that we have not shown before. We have also created some special rewards to thank you for your support.

Will be looking out for that.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This kinda looks cool, especially the artwork. Also reminds me of HOMM4, which had similar detailed and nice (2D) graphics. Another pro is that it offers a front row and a back row for arranging the party tactically. Still not sure if I can befriend myself with the isometric part...

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
Why is the perspective all fucked for the buildings? Looks like they were drawn separately from the environment, then mashed up together and now it just looks wrong. Nice Poser 3D models, too. :lol:

every damn pic looks funky to me, even the combat scenes, something is off about the perspective.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks good, I'll definitely chip in.

Guys, I have always been more of a black isle/fallout guy, so:

What's up with them ye oldie dungeon crawlers being FP/TB? I mean, seriously, why not go isometric instead?

I dunno, I think it's more of a stylistic preference. I used to prefer isometric games, but now I prefer first-person ones - it's probably as subjective as preferring one genre of games over another. It's just a completely different experience to me.

One of the things that attracts me about (well-done) FP combat is that it usually takes much less time to resolve than an isometric battle; it's brings a very distinct rhythm of playing, and allows the game to focus on other things than combat, such as puzzles and dungeon design (I'm speaking predominantly of dungeon crawlers here). The worst offender here is, of course, Wizardry 8, where combat is first person and very slow, which is the worst way of going about it, in my view (even though I enjoy the game a lot).

I also believe that FP combat has a lot of unexplored potential that future games could build on, but that's a topic for a different thread entirely.

Stabwound

Arcane
I like the isometric exploration with turn-based first-person combat. It reminds me of a much more CRPG-styled Dragon Quest/Phantasy Star game. I agree that something looks weird about the perspective on this particular game, though. And to be honest, I'm also more of a blobber combat fan than turn-based isometric these days. That style of combat can get excruciatingly slow and boring at points, especially depending on how the battle is setup.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm not game developer but isn't last news (about Unity 2D support) could be somewhat helpful with making stuff with isometric view?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good luck, Numantian. Can you give us a sneak preview at the goal you're hoping to reach?

Also , protip- add some new screenshots and videos to your site for whoever's interested enough to check it out...

Aric

Literate
Our base goal will be $10,000. We also have a lot of goals on top of that that we'd like to be able to reach.

We'll be posting a lot of new images and videos on the web site during the campaign. Right now we've been dedicated to putting the campaign together, so we have not posted a lot of updates on the web.

Thanks for your interest and the pro-tip!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Be sure to get in contact with as many game sites as possible. RPS, Destructoid, so on and so forth.
A campaign won't help much if nobody knows about it.

Aric

Literate
You're totally correct Crooked Bee, we've divided all of the game-play improvements we want to make into 14 goals, ranging from 10K for hand drawn portraits for all characters and NPCs and a new Hard-Core mode, to 40K for an original soundtrack, all the way up to 250k to create a new Roguelike game mode called "The Dungeon of Torment", which will use the game engine we've created to generate a random dungeons full of traps and dangers.

Here's a link to our goal map if you're interested:
ttp://www.lordsofxulima.com/wp-content/uploads/GoalsMapSample.png

During the campaign we will go into a lot more detail about each goal.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Okay, so the project went up
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lords-of-xulima

I have a recommendation.. Split the video in 2 parts. The first "trailer" part is... I'll be blunt here so forgive me- it's crap. You want people to see the parts from 2:03-onwards.

Anywho I will try to get some people interested in it and most probably contribute before the crowdfunding part is done. Good luck!

Aric

Literate
Hi Jack, thanks for the feedback and for spreading the word. You can also check out our announcement here if you are interested:

http://www.lordsofxulima.com/2013/09/15/crowdfunding-campaign-launched/

I'm sharing your recommendation with the rest of the team, if we get a lot more feedback along those lines it's something we would definitely consider doing. As for being blunt, I really appreciate it. It's why I keep coming back to the codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom