Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well that's nice to see.

...Man, following their Twitter is weird. I think they just hired some unrelated guy to do it. It's always so robotic.
HEY WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING #GAMERS #GAMING #INDIE

dolio

Scholar
I guess the people going on about how Kickstarter automatically gets you more money than Indiegogo have been vindicated.

Numantian Games

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
Well that's nice to see.

...Man, following their Twitter is weird. I think they just hired some unrelated guy to do it. It's always so robotic.
HEY WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING #GAMERS #GAMING #INDIE

Yes we have to change that. Our partner do it with her best intention, but yes you are right, we would have to foucs on news about Lords of Xulima or Numantia Games.
Thanks for the feedback!

Numantian Games

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
I guess the people going on about how Kickstarter automatically gets you more money than Indiegogo have been vindicated.
It is evident that the community is much higher than the IndieGoGo one. We have now almost 500 backers in 10 days while in IndiGoGo were 290 in all the campaign. Let's see how far we can go, and in the end we will be able to quantify the difference.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
This is looking pretty neat. Although that one character portrait is fucking hilarious- you know which one.

catfood

AGAIN
Numantian Games , the combat interface could use some tweaking. For example could you make it so that the active character is also highlighted in the lower part of the screen? Having to constantly look to the right to see whose turn it is can get very annoying.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Numantian Games, you guys are gonna keep the spanish names for the locations, like Los Templos Divinos? Tactics Ogre used portuguese as "mystical language", I don't why you guys can't do the same. ;)

Numantian Games

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
Numantian Games, you guys are gonna keep the spanish names for the locations, like Los Templos Divinos? Tactics Ogre used portuguese as "mystical language", I don't why you guys can't do the same. ;)
Hi Felipepe!
All the Spanish texts will go translated into English. That message was one of the texts not translated yet, the journal is in our to do list.
Leaving the Spanish names for some places or tows could be interesting we had not thought about it.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Numantian Games Say, will you be releasing some interesting exploration \ dungeon delving video footage? The gameplay you already showed is neat and all, but I think showing just that kind of basic "Beginning area" and battle is not enough.

Or, fuck it, I'll be blunt- I'm thinking about backing the game, and I want to see a dungeon video (complete with the rations\lockpicking and nasty enemies) to tip me over and finally do it. :P

neilsouth

Augur
Looks as if enemies just fade away when they die?

I'd rather they actually fall to the ground or some form of other death animation ;)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I understand some budget constraints could prevent dedicated death animations, but maybe at least a "fade into red and away" thing to get the point across that these things are dead? Blood and all that

Stabwound

Arcane
Very reminiscent of old console JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star except more CRPG-like. This game looks pretty good.

New Update

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...an-epic-story-of-gods-and-humans/posts/671490

Update #14

Narrative and quests

Greetings!
Many of you have asked us about the quest system in Lords of Xulima. Today we’d like to give you a little information about our thoughts on this subject and how it’s being approached in Lords of Xulima.

Personally, I don’t like it at all when the story of a game is simplified into a list of tasks that the player must complete. When I played Oblivion, I started to feel overwhelmed and stressed by all of the different quests I had waiting for completion in my queue. Sometimes, completing one quest just led to two or three additional quests being added. It left me with the impression that instead of playing a game, I was really working.

Are quests necessary in RPGs?

It would seem that the answer to this question is obviously yes. It’s well established that an RPG has to have the typical quest system, a main quest line to advance the story and a number of optional side quests. Must every RPG follow this pattern? In JRPGs like Final Fantasy, epic storylines were fluidly told without having to resort to a quest system, though they had the advantage of being very linear. Games like the first few entries in the Might & Magic series and Wizardry VII didn't have a list of missions either, you simply advanced through the games learning about the story bit by bit, the drawback was that at times these games were a little too opaque and you had to guess what it was you were supposed to do.

The Main Story In Lords of Xulima

The main story is told through 4 themes that are developed in parallel and sometimes cross over. The four main themes are: The Divine Temples, The Impious Princes, The Divine Artifacts, and The Titans.

These plot lines advance according to what you chose to do in the game. Each time you advance in one of them, a note is added to the journal for that particular story arc. There are no missions associated with these; you decide how to proceed based on what you know of the story.

If you are not sure what to do, you can always consult your journal to go over the events again. Our intention is that the player immerses themselves in the story and enjoys it at their own pace and rhythm, exploring and learning about the story as they play. We want the player to do as they choose, not give them a list of tasks that they need to complete.

Optional Subplots

Additionally, there are other subplots which are entirely optional. If the player chooses to advance in these, they may obtain great treasures or even special powers. These subplots are: The Mausoleums of Kings, The Gifts of the Gods and the Champion of the Arena.

What about side quests?

Lords of Xulima was originally conceived not to include any side quests. However, later we saw that these could offer additional gameplay as well as give the player an opportunity to earn more experience and treasures. In Lords of Xulima, they are entirely optional.

These quests are offered by the instructor in each village. You just need to talk to the instructor and ask about the bulletin board and the instructor will tell you about the list of quests that the people of the village have posted: “There are some dangerous spiders in the garden”, “The Ogre is blocking the road to Sorrentia”, “We need 20 Vermolio Spores”, etc… If you complete a task, you only need to return to the bulletin board to collect your reward.

These missions are also listed in your journal like in any other RPG. As you progress in the game more missions will be available on the bulletin boards. In any case, it is entirely possible to complete Lords of Xulima without doing any of these side quests.

With this system we have maintained some aspects from the classics and included some of the newer innovations in RPG quest systems. We believe that our approach puts the emphasis on the narrative and advances the story in a less artificial manor.
What do you think?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
It honestly sounds pretty good. I like a lot of the design decisions they're going for with this one.

Wizfall

Cipher
It sounds great.
Really tired of all those more or less uninteresting side quest poping up and guiding you through the game.
I like much better the Wizardry 7/8 way of doing things where the main "quest" is to explore the map and discover things to do on your own.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Numantian Games , the game looks very good, but I have one suggestion: change the battle icons depicting damage, sorcery, afflictions, etc, when you hit the enemy. I'm especially talking about those heart icons that pop-up. They are ugly and look like they belong in some browser game and not an old school crpg. In general you should also revamp the whole UI a bit, since it's much too clean and simple in certain windows and also reminds a bit of browser games. Ragged paper-y woody or stony textures always work good in such situations.

Numantian Games

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
Numantian Games , the game looks very good, but I have one suggestion: change the battle icons depicting damage, sorcery, afflictions, etc, when you hit the enemy. I'm especially talking about those heart icons that pop-up. They are ugly and look like they belong in some browser game and not an old school crpg. In general you should also revamp the whole UI a bit, since it's much too clean and simple in certain windows and also reminds a bit of browser games. Ragged paper-y woody or stony textures always work good in such situations.
Hi Ghost dog!
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, some GUI elements need some improvements.

About the Icons of the combat they are necessary. They are a very short way to show the damages or effects you have caused. For example: 15 hit points lost with a bleeding of 4 hit points per turn. There are six types of damages hit points damage (physical, heat, cold, electric, organic and divine) so they have to be visible. Also, with the conditions like bleeding, stunning, wounds, and lots for the different spells. The icons should be simple and easy to recognize.

Alchemist

Arcane
The final hours are approaching... you know what to do everyone - spread the word and / or raise your pledges. Lets try to get that 30k stretch goal for The Enchanted Islands. These guys have soul and are well worth backing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom