Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Would this game count?

(The author claims not to be Estonian, but he speaks the language.)

I'll leave that decision to the Estonians. ;) (Do we have any on the Codex? I'm guessing yes?)

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Also, one of the most addictive games ever: fuckin' SkyRoads
Played this one a shitload back in the day. You just go around jumping/evading obstacles. Awesome music. It's set in space. What else could you ever want?

Remember%20Skyroads%20-%20Imgur-iloveimg-compressed.gif

http://www.openroadsgame.com/

Good game, I used to play this quite a lot back in the day. It's still the only Estonian game I know of.

There's also Roketz, for Amiga and PC.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone care to translate what AdolfSatan pasted, as I don't speak frog.

"Even though I understand the theoretical aspects, it is still a bit hard for me to naturally use the "de" preposition in some cases.
Same thing for other subtleties like when to use il/elle/ça and ça...

Anyway I should have paid more attention to the original text. My mistake."

AdolfSatan In the first sentence you should have put the 'bien" after 'comprends', and for the last sentence my mistake (I guess) is translated by using a verb before, like "C'est de ma faute" or "C'est ma faute", not just 'Ma faute", but otherwise good effort :salute:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Oi, thanks mate! Yeah, there are some concepts I'm still struggling with. While French has kept some strong ties to Spanish, more often than not I find there are particles and verbs we'd often cross out as redundant (Qu'est-ce que c'est? Come on, you sonsabitches!) that can't be taken away in French, and it really fucks me up.

To contribute something to the thread, here's another one for you sick fucks:

CHILLER
It's quite simple: jump into each screen and shoot until everything looks like Cannibal Corpse cover art. You have to torture people, kills ghosts and critters, and unlock all the hidden tricks as fast as you can to beat the game and win a bonus round after which you can... play it all over again.
chiller_lev1_02.gif

Harmless family fun.
But really, you should try it, it's very entertaining.

You can also play the NES port with shittier and yellower graphics for extra lo-fi black metal grimness
hqdefault.jpg

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Also, one of the most addictive games ever: fuckin' SkyRoads
Played this one a shitload back in the day. You just go around jumping/evading obstacles. Awesome music. It's set in space. What else could you ever want?

Remember%20Skyroads%20-%20Imgur-iloveimg-compressed.gif

http://www.openroadsgame.com/

Good game, I used to play this quite a lot back in the day. It's still the only Estonian game I know of.

There's also Roketz, for Amiga and PC.

Teleglitch is also Estonian game.

PanickedTushkano

Educated
The rpgcodex-forums are a veritable treasure trove of the weird and forgotten, so Thanks to all the contributors!

Red Ocean (2007, german), an FPS set underwater. Footage on youtube looks good in terms of the shooting, but the review on yiya.de seems to consider it mediocre. Not on steam, but there are some used copies on amazon.de.

red-ocean_12.jpg

red-ocean_13.jpg

Psychotoxic (2004, german), another FPS which seems to be considered average by most reviewers. There is also one good review on youtube, which is more negative, but which also points out that the game went through a rather lengthy development cycle. Development hell might be more fitting though: Their first publisher didn't give them enough money for the initial design vision and they didn't even get all of it, since they (cdv) went bankrupt at some point in development. Add in some lawsuits, money running out and so forth and it's frankly surprising that this one got released at all.

95600-vollbild.jpg

Exodus from the Earth (2008, russian, FPS): Have barely found anything on it, but it's available on steam.

0046365_0.jpeg

Operation: Matriarchy (2005, russian, FPS): Seems to be just as broken as Psychotoxic from what I've been able to gather on youtube and elsewhere. But it also seems pretty weird and potentially interesting in terms of setting. Maybe worth a look in that regard. Also available on steam.

E3CD8DCDA6A196EC340BB56175A72EAB0F1C2D00

B74C5064662345B824AFC5642CC822D999DEE072

The Stalin Subway (2005, russian, FPS) and The Stalin Subway: Red Veil (2006, some kind of follow-up): Not much to say on them, but what little footage I've seen reminded me of the gameplay of Vietcong 2 (quickload-fest). They are both on steam.

291738-the-stalin-subway-windows-screenshot-fighting-inside-a-carriage.jpg

You are empty (2006/2007, by the ukrainian MandelArt Plains, FPS): Nice architecture, great atmosphere (soundtrack). There is barely a story in-game, but the cutscenes are really, really good. Was quite surprised. Feels like Half Life 2 with stalkerish vibes thrown in. Quite short, though I liked it that way. Neither steam nor gog have it, but there are still some copies on amazon.de.

you-are-empty-pc-game-beta-unused-5.jpg

sshot_0413.jpg

sshot_0285%20copy.jpg

Harvest: Massive Encounter (2008, swedish, tower defense/light RTS): You need to collect ressources and ensure energy flow. There's only four turrets, but you can link up as many lasers as you like and missile turrets can be upgraded to either provide splash damage or very long range seeking missiles. I recommend it if you like death stars. On steam. There's also a demo.

0000006869.1920x1080.jpg

SunAge (2007/2008, austrian, RTS): Haven't played it, but the developer fixed some issues and recently re-released it on steam, so that the weird control-scheme should be gone. Somebody mentioned it on some RTS-thread on the codex a while back.

6.png

Locoland
(2003, russian, RTS): Locomotives and steampunk robots or something like that. Recently got re-released on steam. Snowbird (Eador, RIP) developer mentioned it in an AMA.

945AE76D397B1485B75BCCBB0D05FB322A1F2875

The Entente Gold (2004, russian, RTS): They licensed the Cossacks engine and made a WWI-game which seems to play similarly. On steam.

ent09.jpg

Aggression: Europe under fire (2007, russian, RTS+TW-style map): Have found much meaningful info on it, but the physics certainly seem impressive. On steam.

E0F22341B7FE41BD20D96D3732FA43B4557F4AB6

ss_bf429db7eaa2316d49a888bbb32ba91feb902f51.jpg

Pacific Storm/ Pacific Storm: Allies (2006, russian, RTS+Grand Strategy map): Seems to have been well received in Russia and the reactions I have seen on it are mixed, so it's probably worth a look. On steam.

psa16.jpg

psa09.jpg

Rising Kingdoms (2005, bulgarian, RTS): Fantasy-RTS by Haemimont who have made Tzar, some of the Tropicos, Victor Vran and Surviving Mars. But as opposed to the all these games, this one still hasn't appeared on steam or gog. I have tried the demo and did rather like it. However, without putting in more time it's difficult to say how well it distances itself from WC3. Or if it even tries to. The glory-system and the conquest of minor races are some interesting twists on the formula, so I have some hope that things turn out more interesting than in Armies of Exigo.

rk1.jpg

6-3.jpg

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Psychotoxic (2004, german)

I've finished it. I believe Ed123 did as well. It's one of those games for people who aren't interested in another popamole military shooter and want to try something obscure and really rough at the edges. The graphics were good enough, with office/warehouse levels at the beginning. Later on we have some dream chapters included into a "normal" story. Really cool idea, but all the effort was killed for me with the ending part, where the scripts wouldn't work and I have had to wonder around, load again and finally progress through to see the ending. There is a full walkthrough on yt.

Exodus from the Earth (2008, russian, FPS): Have barely found anything on it, but it's available on steam.

I call it russian Red Faction. The graphics were nice at the release time, although the excessive bloom was unnecessary. The story with the horrifying voice acting, the funny script and lots of bugs. I was mesmerized of the whole thing and finished as well.

PanickedTushkano

Educated
Psychotoxic (2004, german)

I've finished it. I believe Ed123 did as well. It's one of those games for people who aren't interested in another popamole military shooter and want to try something obscure and really rough at the edges. The graphics were good enough, with office/warehouse levels at the beginning. Later on we have some dream chapters included into a "normal" story. Really cool idea, but all the effort was killed for me with the ending part, where the scripts wouldn't work and I have had to wonder around, load again and finally progress through to see the ending. There is a full walkthrough on yt.

I call it russian Red Faction. The graphics were nice at the release time, although the excessive bloom was unnecessary. The story with the horrifying voice acting, the funny script and lots of bugs. I was mesmerized of the whole thing and finished as well.

Good to know. My bad impressions of Psychotoxic mostly came from this review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9FSW-uC3c

It seemed a bit hyperbolic and I wasn't quite sure how seriously I should take his opinion, but the issue with the anti-piracy software and other severe bugs did seem like it was "broken". But I don't know how much any of this applies to german versions.

Also, I just thought of Maelstrom - The Battle for Earth begins (2007, russian, RTS): It's by KD Vision which followed KD-Lab, who made Perimeter. The Eurogamer-review by Alec Meer was pretty negative about the campaign, which is understandable, since the Remnants-faction is easily the most normal and boring faction and characters and dialogue aren't exactly good. I have mostly played Skirmishes with Ascension and some with the Hai-Genti. They are more interesting, but other problems remain. The AI is simply not very good. Both in terms of path-finding, but also since they don't reliably engage hostile units on their own. It's especially bad with melee units. In any case, there aren't a lot of games which actually allow for meaningful terrain deformation (water flooding map, freezing water etc.), so I'd still consider it worth a look.

807f2dbccae53f6626b912163c9c76c5dae9a9ce.jpg

8023df77e712371a267ba4a2c4181eefb606164e.jpg

Binky

Cipher
Executive Suite (1982)
Climb the corporate ladder. Will you make it to the top? Will you fail spectacularly and get fired? Will you quit to make indie RPGs?
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/executive-suite-r
399790-executive-suite-pc-booter-screenshot-summary-of-employee-status.png

Jones in the Fast Lane (1990)
Chase those sweet, sweet dollars. Rent due? Aw, fuck.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/jones-in-the-fast-lane-1xb/play-1xb - play online
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/jones-in-the-fast-lane-cd-rom-1tr - get the 1992 cd-version

98595-jones-in-the-fast-lane-dos-screenshot-your-landlord-mcga-vga.gif
99107-jones-in-the-fast-lane-dos-screenshot-you-are-flat-broke-mcga.gif

Obscure? No. Forgotten? Nope. However, these two really should be talked about more:
Discworld Noir (1999)
A detective noir adventure in Ankh-Morpork.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/discworld-noir
hqdefault.jpg

Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns (2001)
By the light of the Creator. A strategy game inspired by Zoroastrianism & Persian myths. Unique and original, this gem is (surprisingly) available on Steam where it has a whopping 39 reviews.
60724-kohan-immortal-sovereigns-windows-screenshot-dragons-are-rare.jpg

61267-kohan-immortal-sovereigns-windows-screenshot-most-infantry.jpg

Hevnknekt

Educated
As a kid I was hooked on a game that I can't recall the name of. I believe I must have played it on the Amiga around 1992 or so.

I remember that you start the game on a spaceship in disrepair. You spend your time retrieving missing components, fixing navigation and comm systems, and so forth. I think at some point you repair a little shuttle that you use to cross over to a different spaceship, to gather working components.

As I recall it had a 1st person perspective and was mostly a puzzle-solving game. I don't think there were any other characters than the protagonist.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
Mission Critical is a great adventure game that fits much of your description, but was later('95) and PC only.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As a kid I was hooked on a game that I can't recall the name of. I believe I must have played it on the Amiga around 1992 or so.

I remember that you start the game on a spaceship in disrepair. You spend your time retrieving missing components, fixing navigation and comm systems, and so forth. I think at some point you repair a little shuttle that you use to cross over to a different spaceship, to gather working components.

As I recall it had a 1st person perspective and was mostly a puzzle-solving game. I don't think there were any other characters than the protagonist.

It's not an exact match, but take a look at Xenomorph (1990) and tell us if that rings any bells.

Hevnknekt

Educated
Mission Critical is a great adventure game that fits much of your description, but was later('95) and PC only.

That's most definitely it, thanks! Turned out my memory was rusty in regards to year and platform.

Seem like an engaging game even now. Will watch this longplay for a bit and perhaps play it myself.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Mission Critical is great. It was almost lost at a time. Underground gamer was maybe the only one that had it and then it went down, and many other rare games were lost... Thankfully MI is on GOG now.

Rama (1996) based on the Arthur Clarke novel was somewhat similar and it's harder to find.

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Transarctica (1993)
Frigid post-apoc game with trains & mammoths.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/arctic-baron-1mk
arctic-baron_16.png
arctic-baron_9.png

Centurion: Defender of Rome (1990)
Race chariots, lead armies, fight gladiators, parley with savages, screw Cleopatra.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/centurion-defender-of-rome-uk
centurio_004.png
centurion-defender-of-rome_8.png

Dark Seed (1992)
Weird horror adventure. H.R. Giger sends his regards.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/dark-seed-1dl
dark-seed_6.png
dark-seed_1.png

Life & Death (1988)
You've killed another patient, doctor. Tough but satisfying game. Keep those hands steady!
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/life-death-h6
life-death_19.png
life-death_5.png

Touché: The Adventures of the 5th Musketeer (1995)
Pretty point & click adventure in 16th century France.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/touche-the-adventures-of-the-fifth-musketeer-23p
touche-the-adventures-of-the-fifth-musketeer_9.png
touche-the-adventures-of-the-fifth-musketeer_22.png

Zeliard (1990)
My first PC game. Save the princess, noble hero. Prance through labyrinths filled with beasties. Loved the boss fights & the arms dealer who tells you to fuck off if you don't buy anything. Otherwise, the game is mediocre at best. Navigating the caverns is a chore.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/zeliard-21d
main-qimg-9bf38174612d100e80bcdb9a3e183de3-c

Detroit (1994)
Run your own car company. Had a lot of fun with this puppy back in the day.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/detroit-1ln
detroit_9.png

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
After I've grabbed Indiana Jones - The Emperor's Tomb (so far, pretty fun game) from Steam, I seem to remember to play a demo of some obscure Star Trek game from the same developer...

Oh yeah, this:

These old action adventures are so much better than cinematic trash like Uncharted.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I've completed this game a good few times and I swear I've never seen that.

...Time for another playthrough...
Same here!!
Also I have to say that I was TRYING to play this game when I was very young but it was too weird for me back then. When I tried it again recently it actually felt a bit too easy. Still fun though.

T. Reich

Arcane

I've completed this game a good few times and I swear I've never seen that.

...Time for another playthrough...
Same here!!
Also I have to say that I was TRYING to play this game when I was very young but it was too weird for me back then. When I tried it again recently it actually felt a bit too easy. Still fun though.

The difficulty level matters a lot.
At highest difficulty settings the game actually kicks your ass if you don't understand the game mechanics, and the lowest difficulty settings made the game accessible to me when I was a kid.

axx

Savant
Bermuda syndrome (1995)
A somewhat forgotten gem, the story is as weird as the intro video. 1st part of game you'll be navigating through jungle and caves, you end up in some sort of hobgoblin kingdom. Clunky movement is compensated by gorgeous visuals and art with dinosaurs!
4ecdf941df6ct.jpg

Binky

Cipher
Veil of Darkness (1993)
Remembered it recently. Knew I loved it but didn't remember why. So I replayed it. Man, oh man, what a treat. Explore a cursed and secluded valley, solve mysteries & kill monsters on your way to destroy the vampire behind it all.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/veil-of-darkness-1wm
veil-of-darkness_1.png
veil-of-darkness_5.png

Murder Club (1991)
Investigate a murder. Who killed the bastard? Was it the butler?
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/murder-club-16h
murder-club_15.png
murder-club_6.png

Blackthorne (1994)
Made by Blizzard years before they went full panda. Blast friend and foe alike with your trusty shotgun.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/blackthorne-2p8
You can also nab it for free from Blizzard
blackthorne_23.png
blackthorne_14.png

Blue Max (1983)
A blast from the past. Bomb bridges, buildings & shoot planes. Getting bombed while you were refueling was infuriating.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/blue-max-4l1
blue-max_2.png
blue-max_3.png

Cliff Hanger (1984)
Simple but amusing game. Ensure the vile bandit meets his end. What could possibly go wrong?
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/cliff-hanger-4pr
cliff-hanger_5.png
cliff-hanger_4.png

Budokan: The Martial Spirit (1989)
People in pajamas beating the snot out of each other. Stamina is vital. You can forget about performing all those fancy moves if you get too tired or receive too many hits.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/budokan-the-martial-spirit-m5
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane
Are you guys just trawling myabandonware and harvesting brofists?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom