Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by tuluse, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Are you guys just trawling myabandonware and harvesting brofists?

• Yes Yes x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    You can find cool stuff directly by browsing myabandonware. Last time I checked I ended up playing these two games that I didn't know about (I haven't finished any yet).
    - Josel Killer, a spanish language Metal Slug clone, the characters' sprites arguably don't look good but everything else, including vehicles, looks great and the game is fun.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    - Eternal Daughter was made by the Spelunky dude but I had no idea this game existed. I can't say I love how inertia works but I like the game anyway and it's from 2002, not a time when making indie incline or die trying what a common thing. EDIT : I forgot to say the soundtrack is genuinely good.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Binky Savant

Binky
    I'm constantly looking for new games to play. In fact, most of the more obscure games posted in this thread (like Hannibal) I've found via Home of the Underdogs (rest in peace). I've replayed some of the games I've recommended recently (Zeliard, Budokan, Veil of Darkness,...). Others, I haven't played in decades.

^ Top  
  4. Merlkir Arcane Developer

Merlkir
    Budokan and Blackthorne are far from obscure. But thanks for Veil of Darkness, that looks neat.

^ Top  
  5. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Seems that way. Binky's post on the previous page, for example, only has one game that I've heard next to nothing about (Murder Club).

But one has to keep in mind that opinions are subjective here. I have 32+ years of gaming experience on my back, I'm familiar with shit tons of titles across dozens of platforms. There are people posting in this thread that aren't even 32 years old. They're missing out... but fortunately some of them are catching up and posting about it.

I'm OK with that, as long as people aren't spamming wildly in this thread and try to keep an acceptable level of quality in the posts. So far so good.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. zeitgeist Magister

zeitgeist
    It's because they're direct Metal Slug sprite rips.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Obscure for a good reason:

Show Spoiler

Watch without sound if you can.

Blatant copy of the original with minimal changes and worse quality overall. Typical Spanish product.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Skall Learned

Skall
    Not going to vouch for quality, but I love seeing stuff like this dug up.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zandig Slaytanic Educated

Zandig Slaytanic
    Nice find. Played a bit of this today after seeing your post and found it interesting.

If anyone wants to give this one a try I've compiled a floppy disk image of the game and also a PDF manual of the website you linked to.

Download link for the files here:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/tyclv4

- I tested it on the Hatari, Steem, and Steem SSE emulators where it works fine.
    - The game can be run from the floppy or the hard drive.
    - If running from the hard drive make sure to copy all the files from the floppy into a folder called AVECTA on the hard drive.
    - Set the ST desktop to Low Resolution before playing.
    - Start the game by double-clicking on AVECTA.PRG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  10. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    Not sure if anyone else mentioned this already, but some dude is doing a fan-remake of this game. https://drakanremake.wordpress.com/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. toro Arcane

toro
    great game

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. PanickedTushkano Literate

PanickedTushkano
    Credit where credit is due, so don't ask me, simply follow the link:

https://wkduffy.wordpress.com/

It's a blog about mostly obscure and forgotten Shooters (FPS and TPS). Some of them really, really obscure. Neuro and Solarix for instance.

Edit:

Confrontation (2012, french): A "3D tactical RPG" according to mobygames. Apparently a predecessor to Aarklash: Legacy, but I had never heard of it.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Stranger (2007, russian): By the same people who made the Sudden Strike-series. Similar to Rage of Mages, KnightShift and such (RPG+Strategy more or less).

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Dawn of Magic/Blood Magic (2005, russian): ARPG with some original elements: the character-building is purely focused on Magic and spells can be combined. Some nice experimentation is possible, but the system isn't as open as I would have wished. Choice of spells influences appearance of the character. The choice of alignment is made at the start and has some nice influence on how exactly a playthrough will go. Maps are huge which is good and bad. Towns seem a bit more believable because of it, but it leads to a whole lot of somewhat pointlessly running around. Another negative is that attribute-requirements for items are often unreachable. I assume it was built with repeated playthroughs on higher difficulties in mind. The situation is similar with the parts required for unique items. Also: At least the two builds which I have tried were very heavy on the kiting they required. The game isn't really hard, but it certainly requires a lot of footwork. What stood out as a more clearly negative thing though was that some fetch-/kill-quests need to be done repeatedly to get a small reward. It's unfathomable to me how somebody could have got it into his head that this was a good idea. Making a bad thing much worse basically. The art (especially in regards to changing architecture) and soundtrack are great though.

Edit2: Forgot to say that the humor is basically Larian-esque. The whole thing doesn't take itself serious at all.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Loving these obscure games.

This thread is awesome.

^ Top  
  14. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Here are some random sport games I enjoyed in 96.
    Rocket Jockey where you ride around on a rocket like you are racofer, said rocket has sideways launching grappling hooks you can use for turning, clothes-lining other jockeys, grabbing jockeys/balls, fun physics shenanigans, et cetera. Game had several different modes from arena types, racing, and a soccer like one where you used the grappling hook to hurl the ball into the goal. Graphics aren't even terrible for a mid 90s full 3d affair either.
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/rocket-jockey

Hyperblade, basically a futuristic ultra violent hockey game where you can decapitate your opponents and use their head to score a goal. Had singleplayer/multiplayer seasons, with each team having a different arenas with a number of hazards, boosts, powerups, ramps, et cetera.
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hyperblade

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Dodo1610 Savant

Dodo1610
    Freedom Fighters by IO interactive from 2003 https://www.mobygames.com/game/freedom-fighters
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

3rd person shooter with simple squad based combat. Mission objectives that actually mattered in the game world for example if you blow up an important bridge in one level the enemy would no longer get armored support in a differnt map. The most memroble part is the epic score by Jesper Kyd

The story is that USA get's invaded by the USSR and you have to build up a resistance force in the literal underground of New York City

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    • popamole popamole x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Punch Mein Neger Patron

Punch
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    That fucking district attorney. That's a great game and it's no surprise it got plenty of sequels and countless ports, and was released on JP Nintendo Switch just a while ago. The PC Engine (Turbografx) CD version is excellent and highly recommended, it has some pretty good voice acting and digitized pics, not to mention all versions have a pretty good murder mystery with plenty of characters and red herrings and a cool twist at the end. If the ending wasn't a bitch to trigger at the end this would be an easy 10/10 to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    For some reason this game came to my mind.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Gauldur's Bait Learned

Gauldur's Bait
    Piece I found on BBC on digging around in the code of old computer games, in order to see how the programmers could make do with such limited tools and memory compared to today. I especially enjoyed this part, about how a programmer figured out a table that ensured a procedurally generated maze never came out as unplayable in the game: "...it had been the work of a programmer who developed it while not entirely sober: “He told me it came upon him when he was drunk and whacked out of his brain.”"

Get drunk and play with code! :obviously:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190919-the-maze-puzzle-hidden-within-an-early-video-game

• Brofist x 2
    • incline x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    This thread should be stickied and archived

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It was stickied, but stupid admins decided it wasn't worthy of that distinction.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    :whatho:

Infinitron Crispy why the fuck this thread got unsticked,when garbage like "What game are you wasting time on?" is still stickied ???

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Out of my jurisdiction.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    It's sticky again, thanks to whoever did it :salute:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    It was Infinitron.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)