Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That reminds me, there was a sci-fi space exploration game in the early 90s that I vaguely recall, something about mantis-like aliens attacking humanity or something.

The only thing I remember was the intro where a newscaster was reporting on war when she's ripped apart from the inside by one of the alien critters.

Anyone remember the title of this?

Could that be XF5700 Mantis ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF5700_Mantis

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thank you, that's the one! I faintly recall it being a shit game too.

And congrats on your first post. :)

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Blade of Darkness:

The game with one of the most satisfying hack and slash combat I've ever played.

pippin

Blade of Darkness was recently removed from GoG because of some legal bullcrap. Decline.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"Lost and Forgotten"

Severance has a significant following and gets mentioned on the codex constantly. It's even on (was on, apparently) GOG.

F-Zero and Super Metroid are definitely not lost and forgotten lmao.

I'll say the Orion Conspiracy.

24561_back.jpg

orionconspiracy-1.png

201007-the-orion-conspiracy-dos-screenshot-menu-systems.jpg

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Posting because this thread is awesome.

---

I do think that some of these games are simply old, not exactly forgotten, though. Like the oft mentioned SNES games or Severance (Covert Action is even on Steam, not exactly lost is it?).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - was probably my favorite flight sim:

url

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You want lost and forgotten gems for the SNES ? Try this :

gPZ4YgI.jpg

Prince of Persia meets Metroidvania meets beat-em up. Beautiful game that was completely overlooked. If the controls were a bit more fluid it would be up there with the best like SUper Metroid and Super Castlevania IV.

p1ipwZV.png
SIOthxy.png
gVreX7e.png

le3qyDh.png
b6iKS9y.png
H4Hw1za.png

2RAcxnq.png
GQkGOLu.png
DvOorf3.png

89UYv8W.png
8VW1j3C.png
PgTcQn8.png

Yh9Gkd5.png
61xK1IX.png
faiujGy.png

:Flash:

Arcane
Ravage
615351-ravage-dos-screenshot-level-2-takes-place-in-the-desert-s.png
615346-ravage-dos-screenshot-more-ships-closing-in-s.png

This was made by the Swiss demo group Alpha Helix and released as shareware. Years later they gave Home of the Underdogs the permission to distribute the full version and the source code, so it is practically freeware now.
This game is quite similar to much better known Raptor: Call of the Shadows. Even some explosions and sound effects are very similar. Ravage is the harder game, though, with no energy bar, and each hit by an enemy ship or bullet taking away a life instantly. On the other hand, the soundtrack is very good, and the game is very good at upping the ante, throwing even more and difficult enemies at you while also giving you even more crazy firepower. The screenshots you can find on the web are all from the first two levels, not showing the mayhem that is going on in later levels. Also the bosses at the end of each level are quite good. Combined with a fun 2 player hotseat mode makes for a game that deserves more attention than it normally gets.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Requiem: Avenging Angel

You play as a gun-toting angel that enters Earth's realm (though there are also levels in Hell), being an angel you also have access to magic powers (can turn people into salt, fry them, posses them, ressurrect them to fight for you, fly with your wings etc.). Fun run and gun gameplay and great dystopian atmosphere.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seven Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries (1997)

Not too obscure, but often overlooked. It's one of the best RTS ever. There was a sequel which is supposedly good too, but I never played it.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Requiem: Avenging Angel

You play as a gun-toting angel that enters Earth's realm (though there are also levels in Hell), being an angel you also have access to magic powers (can turn people into salt, fry them, posses them, ressurrect them to fight for you, fly with your wings etc.). Fun run and gun gameplay and great dystopian atmosphere.

Dang, I remember seeing ads with the box art in some gaming magazines around the time it came out and thinking "woah that looks cool". Never got around playing it though. Don't think it's officially sold anywhere anymore?

Requiem_Box_Front_NA.jpg

Miserable Panda

Educated
This game suffered from a lot of hype and bad marketing. Promising so much, and yet giving all the players, that waited for it years and years, so little, it quickly lost all the attention and publicity it got over the years.
I'm talking about Messiah, a game that luckily is available on GoG.com (http://af.gog.com/game/messiah?as=1649904300).

Made by Shiny entertainment, and distributed by big old Interplay, this game caught the attention of the media by the excellent graphics, and a simple quirk in its gameplay, being able to possess any NPC you wanted, as long as you needed.
A hybrid between an adventure and a horrible third person shooter, this game told the story of the angel Bob, brought down to earth by God to cleanse humanity from all its sins, in a futuristic and cyberpunk atmosphere.
I played the hell out of this game when it came out, and I endured the horrible puzzles, the subpar shooting sections, all because the love I've grown for this game across the years.

It is not quite forgotten, but people overlook it fairly easily.

Seven Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries (1997)

Not too obscure, but often overlooked. It's one of the best RTS ever. There was a sequel which is supposedly good too, but I never played it.

The sequel is fine, but truly is more of the same. There a lot of new mechanics (controling the monsters as a faction or some upgrades to spionage, for example), but is all cluttered and quite annoying. It looks like a enormous game, but soon you realize it is quite empty and it even feels rushed, perhaps by all the competition of the time. The first is one of the best RTS I played in my life. Even so, if you loved the original, you will enjoy the sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Absolute Zero, have anyone of you played it, is it good? I just remember the screenshots from magazines, this game is very rarely mentioned anywhere so I suspect it might be crap.
5K6CE0P.jpg

dIH9Nlv.jpg
EWILtFe.jpg

Ws2eyJt.jpg
1MFkz4R.jpg

It looks kind of cool, I found an old review on JewTube that sounds promising.

Duraframe300

Arcane

gPZ4YgI.jpg

Prince of Persia meets Metroidvania meets beat-em up. Beautiful game that was completely overlooked. If the controls were a bit more fluid it would be up there with the best like SUper Metroid and Super Castlevania IV.

p1ipwZV.png
SIOthxy.png
gVreX7e.png

le3qyDh.png
b6iKS9y.png
H4Hw1za.png

2RAcxnq.png
GQkGOLu.png
DvOorf3.png

89UYv8W.png
8VW1j3C.png
PgTcQn8.png

Yh9Gkd5.png
61xK1IX.png
faiujGy.png

AVGN *reviewed*it. (Or was it on a James & Mike monday?)

So, not so forgotten anymore.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Nosferatu was mentioned by you earlier in the weaboo sections in some thread. Great game all along, very flexible thanks to diffrent difficult settings. There are some optional sections of the dungeons for the maximum crystals/health and the whole labirynth seems to have more than one exit. I was afraid that beat em up part would be weak, but it's surprisingly good, feels like a box match with some additional quirks. Visually the devs really wanted to put the atmosphere on the first plan. It's not some cheap Castlevania rip-off but well designed platform game with some new ways of controlling your character ( I had to try a couple of minutes the diffrent new moves that were implemented), and you will need to use all of them. I wish it was longer though, or have at least a sequel.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
40856-spirit-of-adventure-dos-front-covers.jpg

Guido Henkel's (on the left) predecessor to Realms of Arcania. It has lots of flaws, is kind of unfinished, but I really liked it back then.

035.png

Had also there celebrities:

019.png

And chainmail bikinis:

4067-3-spirit-of-adventure.jpg

:Flash:

Arcane
Off to Europe!
4agzucig.png

juxol8pz.png

f9kgkl2c.png
This freeware game was commissioned by the German Federal Foreign Office in order to indoctrinate naive computer game playing youth into being good Europeans.
In the game you have to travel through the capitals of Europe. In each capital there is an action minigame and a quiz game. With the action minigames you can earn (or lose) ECUs (which is what the Euro was called before it existed), which you need to pay for your travel expenses. With the quiz game, you collect points, which you need for winning the game. This only makes sense, if you play with several people in Hotseat mode. You can play alone, but you will always win, as there are no AI opponents.
Once you have traveled all the capitals of Europe, you have to go to Brussels in order to play the "Final", are series of questions about European institutions.
If two players travel to the same location in the same round, they "meet in the hotel" and the action minigame is replaced with "Smashball", i.e. Pong.

In theory, the game is not all that good, but it has a certain charme, and it was one of the few hotseat games we had available when we were kids, which means that we played it a lot. And it took the entire afternoon to reach the final (4 players x 12 capitals = 48 minigames and quizzes). I still remember the answer to every question that exists in the game. Also, the game constantly blares the anthems of the country you are in through the PC speaker. That's the reason I can identify the anthems of those countries within seconds when hearing them. It is also the only hotseat game I know that allows each player to select a different language.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Sounds like this game hit it off with "Where in Europe is Carmen Sandiego?" to make "Dr Drago's Madcap Chase".

Siobhan

Arbiter
G-Police (PC/PSX)
arcady first-person sci-fi helicopter shooter, of which there aren't too many. Very 90s with badly aged 3d, a PSX version, and prerendered cutscenes (the FMV craze had already cooled down).

Dime City (PC)
casual German sim where you have to build up a crime empire and flirt with your secretary. Not exactly stellar, and could easily be a tablet game nowadays, but I liked it back in the day. There seems to be no short gameplay video, so here's a German LP:

Battle of Olympus (NES)
A non-linear action adventure in the spirit of Zelda 2 and Castlevania Simon's Quest. Damn hard, but great monster design and some really confusing dungeons. Great graphics and soundtrack, and cool atmosphere to boot. Much improved by emulators with save states, the passwords are insanely long and cryptic.

Descent (PC)

obviously well-known among non-millenials, but I really feel like the game has been wiped from gaming history. It doesn't show up in many top 100 lists, there have been no attempts to desecrate the franchise with a filthy console reboot, nor any Kickstarter nostalgia bait. The whole genre is effectively dead. Hmm, but since this thread is about obscure games, here's a video of the much crappier Forsaken instead:

Edit: should we spoiler videos to keep the load times short?

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Descent (PC)
obviously well-known among non-millenials, but I really feel like the game has been wiped from gaming history. It doesn't show up in many top 100 lists, there have been no attempts to desecrate the franchise with a filthy console reboot, nor any Kickstarter nostalgia bait. The whole genre is effectively dead. Hmm, but since this thread is about obscure games, here's a video of the much crappier Forsaken instead:

Wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom