Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A significant gesture of what? I'm guessing it would improve our reputation significantly.

You clearly demonstrate you're not going to be another Sword Demon after you killed him and walked out of the manor with two swords. You also show a reciprocal relationship with your allies, and a confidence that you can wreck the shit of your opponents without a Great Sword, to the extent that you'll give not one, but three, away to other people who you think need one more than you do.

The downside is of course that you don't have one anymore.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You also show a reciprocal relationship with your allies, and a confidence that you can wreck the shit of your opponents without a Great Sword.
Tempting, really. But... our voice...

Dammit, it's not going to win anyway. People love their legendary toys.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Watch the swords suddenly be described in awesome and kickass detail the moment you give it away.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Absinthe
The guy wanted sword and he reinforced that by going for swords.

We want to help those that rely on us. If we break this desire while the demon is weak he shouldnt get much hold, yes? So if we are a dick we are FREEEEEEEeeeeeEeeee.

Nevill

Arcane
After thinking about it, I have decided to stick with AB.

I do not want to profit from our Sword Demon fight. Yes, we gained two swords out of that, but we don't have claims to them other than the fact that we have killed their wielder. I also do not want it to look like we did it out of greed - and I bet it looked like we intervened only to get a shot at collecting the swords, seeing how we picked them up and left without a word.

But we have earned the right to wield the Yuchang Sword with pride. We have a history with that blade. We got it by protecting the man from a poisoner, and its owners agree that we have been putting it to good use so far.

Yet when the time comes, we will return it. I am alright with being left with no swords except for the wodao that we've got by another deed we can be proud of.

Edit: also, I don't want to give away our trolling rights as the Emei representative. Wuxing would choke from shock when he hears that, and we might have an easier time talking with Zhang Minyue that way.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
treave, would there be any objections from the Emei if we give the sword to Yifang? Would that letter mean that her voice becomes the Emei voice, since she it the ex-Emei member in good standing with them? Or it the letter void after such an arrangement?

Baltika9

Arcane
I do not want to profit from our Sword Demon fight. Yes, we gained two swords out of that, but we don't have claims to them other than the fact that we have killed their wielder. I also do not want it to look like we did it out of greed - and I bet it looked like we intervened only to get a shot at collecting the swords, seeing how we picked them up and left without a word.

But we have earned the right to wield the Yuchang Sword with pride. We have a history with that blade. We got it by protecting the man from a poisoner, and its owners agree that we have been putting it to good use so far.

Yet when the time comes, we will return it. I am alright with being left with no swords except for the wodao that we've got by another deed we can be proud of.
Man, that sounds beautiful in practice and would really speak of our moral character if our orthodox BROs would back that story up. Yeah, I can see that approach paying it's dividends in the future, but I just don't want to take this route.
A great sword is something that gives one a lot of personal prestige in the jianghu, and our Cult having one would speak well of our power as a pugilustic organization. The Chixiao is also an unclaimed, uncontested sword which means we can make it a factional treasure without too many objections from our friends. Besides which, it is powerful and useful, so that's why I'd like to keep it.
But hey, I really love how that plan of your sounds, just don't agree with it personally and honestly not sure if the 'Dex will be okay with not being left without a LEGENDARY SWORD later. :lol:

Actually, treave, if Shunbro gets his hands on the Xuanyuan sword, can he use the humility Nevill's plan will portray to spin us as a worthy enough champion to wield the Xuanyan on his behalf?

Also, why are we so dead set on fighting the demon, especially when we don't know if our methods will work or not in the first place?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
BA
I want Jing to keep the sword that noone else has any claim to.
Maybe it is in that very sword the demon resides though. Something to think about...

Could be convinced to flop. Just not feeling it right now.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Flopping to:
2029412-ba.jpg

BA Sucka!

Nevill

Arcane
A great sword is something that gives one a lot of personal prestige in the jianghu, and our Cult having one would speak well of our power as a pugilustic organization. The Chixiao is also an unclaimed, uncontested sword which means we can make it a factional treasure without too many objections from our friends. Besides which, it is powerful and useful, so that's why I'd like to keep it.
Well, on the bright side, as long as we do not commit some outright villainy, the Emei are not going to request their sword back any time soon. And Shaolin is still one of the strongest pugilistic sects around without any legendary swords. And Zhang Jue does not need one to be recognized as a power to be reckoned with.

Prestige is earned another way. Taishan sect has such a sword, yet their leader is a coward and they are a bunch of nobodies.

And I want to be the voice of the nunnery, dammit! Do you even realize how many lewd opportunities it is going to get us?

Baltika9

Arcane
Not the best thing for Emei Diplomacy, even if lulzy. My angle here is to mend relations with the orthodox sects, so I'm all about 1C, but could swing to 2B for Lingshu and Qingcheng if 2A doesn't stand a chance at winning.

Nevill

Arcane
Not the best thing for Emei Diplomacy, even if lulzy.
Well, they don't have to know. ;)

Still, I think it might help our Minyue diplomacy. She is probably still unsure of what happened back at the mansion. If we show her the nuns put their trust into us, I think it might influence her opinion of us for the better - as opposed to if we walk in with the Chixiao Sword we got fresh from the corpse of the Sword Demon.

I don't want to give the sword to Yifang. We don't get to keep the sword, but we also aren't really giving it away either.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wouldn't it put her mind even more at ease if the Castration Nuns, renowned misandrists one and all, told her that Jing is p. cool? Or make Wuxing even more shocked when the nuns themselves back us up in tandem with Wudang? He's already on to the fact that those two sects are working with us, so we might as well start acting like public allies.
Edit: ducking autotype.

Akkudakku

Arbiter

Absinthe

Arcane
Absinthe

We want to help those that rely on us. If we break this desire while the demon is weak he shouldnt get much hold, yes? So if we are a dick we are FREEEEEEEeeeeeEeeee.
Akkudakku, it's a demon. If it would genuinely work with our selflessness it wouldn't be much of a demon. It asked us why we fight, and twisting the reason we gave, it will plunge us into more and more bloodshed. Jing said "I fight for those who depend on me" and the result was God of War. Cool ending, but not quite right.

If we keep the swords as a dick, then the demon will probably reinforce that the best way to protect those who depend on Jing is to keep fighting on their behalf and selfishly accumulate more power.

If we get rid of the swords, on the other hand, we already step back from the fighting and show that we won't be a sword demon. What's going to happen? Selfless demon Jing? Not much of a demon that way.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, but what reason would she have to talk to them? Ultimately, we'll be the one seeking contact with her.

It is a bit different when someone is ready to speak up for you, and when they grant you the right to speak on their behalf. You have more control over the situation in the latter case.

Baltika9

Arcane
Akkudakku, bro, treave already confirmed that the Chixiao blade isn't what is possessed, is us. By the remains of Chi You's FUUUUUU-
Ah, but what reason would she have to talk to them? Ultimately, we'll be the one seeking contact with her.

It is a bit different when someone is ready to speak up for you, and when they grant you the right to speak on their behalf. You have more control over the situation in the latter case.
Like when they stand together with us at the conference?

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Absinthe

Akkudakku, it's a demon. If it would genuinely work with our selflessness it wouldn't be much of a demon. It asked us why we fight, and twisting the reason we gave, it will plunge us into more and more bloodshed. Jing said "I fight for those who depend on me" and the result was God of War. Cool ending, but not quite right.

If we keep the swords as a dick, then the demon will probably reinforce that the best way to protect those who depend on Jing is to keep fighting on their behalf and selfishly accumulate more power.

If we get rid of the swords, on the other hand, we already step back from the fighting and show that we won't be a sword demon. What's going to happen? Selfless demon Jing? Not much of a demon that way.
I do agree thats why I flopped to AB. We still kind of depend on the Emei sword in our fighting style. Unless we can use a training session to redo the moves for the Wodao. This way we could give up all the swords. -infinity SWORDS is a new good thing!

Tigranes

Arcane
I think Nevill's gloss on AB is really good, and I'm still down with that choice, even if the Emei ask for the sword back soon.

(1) With WQS, Roar, Claws, etc. and our use of the Wodao, I don't think it's a fatal loss for us to give up all three swords. There's no downplaying how amazing the swords are, yes, but I think we are increasngly not particularly dependent on them for our style and our tight-spot solutions.

(2) Gving away 3 swords would be an extremely effective performance, but I think giving away 2 is also - because the Yuchang was always ours, and we can say, with Emei making us our representative, there is a real official and righteous air to our lending the sword. With every intention of returning it when we need to. Importantly, what we are doing is relinquishing the two swords we gained from the Sword Demon. We only keep the sword we had before. We show we're not out to rob other people of their swords, we really did want to stop the Sword Demon, and that our motives are not s simple as SWORDS+1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom