Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Another Epilogue...
What could it be, I wonder...
Another Epilogue

The spheres are but intrusions of higher beings, ascended ones. How do these come into being? By sacrificing many, many worlds, until they are noticed by the heart of all worlds. Then, if it deems them worthy, they ascend. What then, is this heart?

It is the Great Idea, the One Truth, the Originator, the Meaning of All Things. In the web of dimensions, the Great Idea sits at the center, weighing down the multiverse, testing, probing, observing and recording. It is said that something is not until it is seen, upon which then it is. The Great Idea sees all things, and ascribes to them meaning. In return, life eternally quests to reach the One Truth, ascribing to itself a meaning without which it would be mere void.

In all of the universes, all of the worlds, the Great Idea has come to discover the One True Meaning that encompasses all existence, and that meaning is Chaos. Random disorder against the orderliness of physical laws is what creates existence and allows the multiverse to flourish. In the greater view of things - and the Great Idea had the greatest view of all - everything is insignificant noise... a little meaningless chaos.

Imagine, then, its surprise, when a little man came to it after floating through time and space for what would be millions of years - if time had been a tangible concept for the Great Idea. The man refused to accept the meaning the Great Idea ascribed to him, and insisted that he had his own.

That would not do, thought the Great Idea. For another million years, it showed the little man the truth of the multiverse, and how insignificant he was. A speck on a mite of dust floating in greater specks in a little bowl, of which there were an infinite number. That was his role in life.

Still the man resisted.

Still, he refused to accept his meaning and dissolve into noise.

The Great Idea experienced, for the first time, exasperation.

Why is it that you reject your meaning?

The answer came in the form of a question, after a few thousand years of pondering.

Who are you, to ascribe meaning to me?

I am the Great Idea, the One Truth, the Originator, the Meaning of All Things. There is no meaning but what I give.

I reject that, replied the little man.

My meaning is mine alone. My fate is mine alone to determine.

I do not weave destiny, I merely observe.

Then, your observations are wrong, for I reject your meaning.

You are a very strange little thing.

I suppose I am, laughed the little man. It was a laugh that had seen the depths of insanity and come out the other end, a cold, sober laugh that promised cruel and terrible things.

Diogenes Camna would be a poor excuse for a man if he let a mere observer of all existence determine his own meaning.
Oh.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Another Epilogue

The light subsides – it is still bright, but no longer blinding. Your first thought is that you are drowning in softness; as if you are immersed in a lake of cotton. Desperately, you claw your way up; your eye snaps open in a panic.

You find yourself staring at the ceiling. A bright circle of light hovers above you, attached to flat white tiles. It is a strange architecture that you have not seen before. You are in a room of some sort, lying on an extremely soft bed. Your senses are still blurry, your muscles unresponsive – with some effort, you manage to get your head to move. You see a girl staring at you, dressed in a weird outfit.

Yunzi?

She walks over to you, concerned.

Impulsively, you try to hug her.

Yunzi screams as the sheets fall away, revealing your full nakedness. Turning red, she attempts to shove you away desperately.

“Oh, don’t tell me you’re being shy now, after what we did the last time?” you laugh. Then, you pause. “Wait, your belly is…” You place your hand under Yunzi’s clothes, on her flat stomach, and she positively shrieks.

There is a loud shout and a metal tray slams into your nose. The tray breaks, leaving you unharmed but bewildered, staring at the other girl that had just attacked you. Qilin. Yunzi runs and hides behind Qilin, babbling in a foreign language that you are certain is not Tujue.

“What is going on here? I don’t really understand, but are the two of you playing a joke on me?” you ask, but your questions are answered by a barrage of blows from Qilin, who is shouting in the strange tongue. Even if you have just newly awakened from your stupor, you still find her attacks easy to intercept. Has she lost her touch? You turn the tables quickly – grabbing Qilin by the wrists, you push her down on the bed, straddling her.

“What’s going on here?” you demand. Things seem very wrong. Qilin blushes, and then scowls, before kneeing you in a place only the late Iron Shaft could defend. She rolls away from the bed while you are wincing from her well-aimed blow. She hurries to Yunzi’s side – the two of them whisper hurriedly, giving you dirty glances all the while.

Then, the door opens. A similarly attired girl walks in, and this time it is Cao’er, with her hair tied up in a bun and some sort of strange wires placed around her eyes. Qilin and Yunzi bow to her nervously while you stare in surprise at this unprecedented interaction between the three of them. Cao’er tells them something and sends the two girls running off. Once they are gone, she locks the door and cautiously steps forward until she is standing right by your side.

“Is this a joke, or a dream, or one of Nuwa’s pranks?” you ask tentatively. If it is the latter, you will have to find some way out of it. Without warning, and breaking your train of thought entirely, Cao’er throws her arms around you, burying her face in your bare chest. She is sobbing.

“…Cao’er?”

“Jing! Jing! Jing!” She starts crying your name over and over again. You can do nothing but hold her close to you.

It takes a long while before she composes herself enough to talk. “I… thought I would never see you again.”

“I was worried about that too,” you admit, “but where am I? And what is wrong with Qilin and Yunzi?”

“Well…” She explains carefully.

It seems that more than a thousand years have passed.

And that the Qilin and Yunzi you saw are actually your descendants.

Your face goes pale, realizing what you did. “I… I did that to my…”

“Oh… don’t worry,” smiles Cao’er wickedly. “After so many generations, they are no more closely related to you than they are to any man you pick off the street. It is okay, Jing. They will grow to love you too. I am sure of it.”

You don’t really think it is okay. It isn't... right?

“But… you are the same Cao’er that I left behind, aren’t you?”

“Not exactly the same… I think,” she smiles sadly. And true enough, though her appearance young as the day you left her, there is a tired look in her eyes. She must have been through a lot this past thousand years, and all by herself too. You cannot resist patting her head.

“It doesn’t matter,” you say. “It’s all the same to me.”

The world-weariness seems to vanish from her gaze in an instant. “I’ve missed that…” Cao’er beams.

“So, this means that you learned Xuezi’s immortality, right?”

Cao’er nods. “I’ve been searching for you ever since. It was only recently that we discovered how the Eternal Flame could have possibly warped time and space…”

Her explanation is full of words that you have never heard before, and you could barely follow it. Still, you understood the gist of what she thinks happened: to save you from Nuwa at that moment, the Eternal Flame sent you into the future. After centuries of searching Cao’er finally managed to deduce what happened and where you would appear. It seems that she was right.

“What will you do now, Jing?” Cao’er asks, resting her head on your shoulders.

“Well…”

After listening to Cao’er and understanding the situation you are in, you have come to a decision. Though this new world must be absolutely interesting to explore, there are three affairs in particular you would like to see through to the end.

Three loose ends you would like to tie up.

Free Shun from eternal banishment.

Teach the gods a small lesson.

Return to the time and place where you belong, to those that are waiting for you.

Succeeding in any one task would be a deed great enough to go down in legend, but you are Man Tiger Pig, after all.

Why settle for one, when you can do all three?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tomorrow I'll begin to answer whatever questions I can, and we will start the vote on the next LP.

Unfortunately the choices may have expanded from two to three for that one.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hm.

Can we get a bonus to our neigong due to our newfound mastery of the Eternal Flame? :powergamer:

Nevill

Arcane
I wonder if we can substitute qi with an external power source (thermonuclear-based?) and train our own personal army of Yang Xue-like soldiers.

ONE VISION, ONE PURPOSE!

The Heavens don't stand a chance.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if we can substitute qi with an external power source (thermonuclear-based?) and train our own personal army of Yang Xue-like soldiers.

ONE VISION, ONE PURPOSE!

Come to think of it, a Wuxia X-com vs. the Heavans game would be fucking A.

Elfberserker

Liturgist

ONE VISION, ONE PURPOSE!

Nuclear back pack?
Apocalyptic wuxia setting?
FUUUUUUUUUCK´YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

Jester

Arbiter
Wow interesting. Thanks for hard work Trave i enjoyed the ride like always.

As for questions:

The hell is this time bending flame of pure awesomeness?
Lady Ji was Nuwa/allied with her trying to steer whole thing?
Who was rogue archetype? Was it Zhang Manxing?
How could we met superior astronom?
What happened to brothers wood and metal crafter of Shaolin?
Why Luoying Manor was burned?
Why former emperor sought Jing? What he expected?
What parts of Jing story were remembered by people? Probably he was remembered for passing Shaolin joke trial. How he was remembered?
Was there secret Rabbit ending?
Did beggars remember who made Wuying Leipo Kick?
What parts of world master Zhang travelled to?
Did he sought Yamatano for rematch?
How the hell is naga a goddess of human? (not that i am complaining)
Who was Chi You lover?

Nevill

Arcane
Nuclear back pack?
Apocalyptic wuxia setting?
When Cao'er discovers a similarity between qi and energy produced in an atomic reaction, we will realize that the mastery of Wuxian Qiankun gives us an ability to control nuclear fusion at will, while the mastery of Eternal Flame protects us from extreme temperatures...
treave said:
Nah, the real moral of the story is don't try to parlay with the gods without a trump card. Like a sun-bomb or something.
We will become a fucking walking sun-bomb. Parlay with that, Nuwa!

Jester

Arbiter
helghast-with-flag.jpg
Xcom and Nod is nice ideas. Adding one more Helghast.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
treave thank you man.
Both parts of the ending are perfect. I do hope that Jing will be a major character in our next LP.

Also thanks to everyone that voted D, you are BROs :bro:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Well I have a fuckton of questions. treave

1) Firstly who was Gao Ying? Where did he come from and what were his goals and motivations? How would he had fared against other pugilists despite not being a pugilist himself? or if he was under who did he train and how did he get into Shun's service?

2) How was Yang Xue defeated by Shun? I mean he was many times stronger than Wang Zhengchong and Ahura Mazda from what I understood and could even best Zhang Jue, Sword Saint and all the other pugilist combined, and that was before getting that elixir and becoming god like. So I take it he was much much more powerfull than we were, while we pretty much bested Shun in our last fight. So what happened back there?

3) You mentioned all our companions would have died had we not killed zhang manxing back then. Who would have killed Zhang Jue and the Sword Saint and how? They were pretty much the most powerfull guys in all jianghu.

4) Who was Lady Ji and what was her involvement with Zhang Jue and with all the god plots against the throne. What was the purpose for that manor?

5) What were Nie Wuxing and his wife up to? And what happened to Qilin's mother back when she dissapeared after Qilin was born?

6) How did Shun get possesed? Was it the Sword? What would have happened had we taken the Sword with us? And What would have happened if we had backed up Shun on his rampage against the sects?

7) Speaking of Swords, who was the Sword Demon? What happened to the demon that possesed us and what was with that weird question about why do we fight? In the end that thing was passed up and nothing came to it.

8) Who was Chi You's lover? I mean from the characters? I hardly believe that she never appeared at all.

9) What would had the astrologist say about our fate?

10) Why did the Emperor take us for Shun?

11) Had Wang Zhengchong and the cool masters lived and if Super Ahura would have emerged how different the story would have been?

12) What happened with the Little Tiger in the end?

13) Where the fuck did Tulu Houdu go and what was his agenda?

I'll be back with more questions once I think more about it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom