Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    D

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Unfortunately, it looks like pantheons are region locked. :negative:

Tally (open)
    Baltika9 B > C (Lambchop's)
    Azira B
    Nevill C (Lambchop's)
    Elfberserker C (Lambchop's)
    Lambchop19 B > C (Lambchop's)
    profreshinal C (stab Nuwa)
    Akkudakku D > A
    Rex Feral C (any) > D
    Fangshi C (Lambchop's) > A
    ERYFKRAD D
    Tigranes D
    Kipeci C (call Ahura Mazda)
    Grimgravy D
    Jester C (respawn Shun)
    Ifeex !D
    Kz3r0 C (call Ahura Mazda) > B

B - 3
    C (Lambchop's) - 3
    C (stab Nuwa) - 1
    C (call Ahura Mazda) - 2
    C (respawn Shun) - 1
    C (any) - 1 (0)
    D - 4

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm i is it possible to ask her to get Shun respawned into human again with his memories intact in C?
    If so name it C Jester.

Actually having person who care about humans to balance those celestial assholes sound like quite good solution.

^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I'm just thinking that if we're powerless to resist these deities maybe we should call the one we represent to help out? That can't hurt, I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
  6. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    C, pray to Ahura Mazda>B.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, there's a problem with praying to Ahura Mazda. He's technically not born yet, so we would literally be summoning a fetus to help us out.
    We could pray to Angra Mainyu, the Zoroastrian God of Evil.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    How about we strike it even and just say that we call on the appropriate figure of power in that tradition that corresponds to the Fire Cult's heretical theology? We never really had Jing learn much about that onscreen, so I'm not really sure who it is, but let's pray to that one!

Maybe it's Zurvan or something, for all we know.

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Most definitely not; since they're all about Good and the Light.
    For all we know, Jing is the Ahura Mazda in their theology, and we're already in a bind.
    It would be cool to summon some other diety, but I don't think it will work.
    Unless we embrace Islam and pray to Allah.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Take your Deus Ex Machina ending and double triple it up?

I approve.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I'm absolutely positive that the vaguely defined Zoro heresy we follow will back us up here! Treave was saying that we don't have a spark of the former godly powers that Jing's previous reincarnations had, but we conveniently always carry the tremendously powerful one of some other figure's in Jing's blinded eye. That's gotta make the summoning easier, right?

^ Top  
  12. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    D

It's pathetic for us to be crawling to Nuwa's side after she creates this whole disaster. Lets go back to A.

That would've been in the old A, like I said from the start. Anyway, vote D now so we can continue where we left off.

Forever, if we pursue immortality? By the way, would you like to vote for "C: Attempt to lawyer Nuwa on breaking rules about direct intervention" now?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    ^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Damn, the draft for A is very strong and poignant. Killing your own true brother. I felt some mainly sweat on my face for a second. Great writing, treave!

Does any of you ever read some chinese history? The chinese are a malthusian-assabiyah basket case. The dynastic circle is caused by a combination of exausted dinasty potential, climate woes and malthusian growth crisis. It essentially ends with a epic civil war where millions die as the ruling dynasty loses the mandate of heaven. Then a new dinasty takes over, at first greatly competent, but the circle starts again. Foreigners often get in on the action. We're pretty much trying to stop a cataclysmic event. Chinese dynasty collapses often have casualties that rival the world wars, from deprivation and strife. There was nothing in Europe like this. Imagine if every 400 or so years, Europe was dominated by something like the Roman Empire, then it collapses, rebuilds and starts again, over and over. For around 5000 years, give or take.

About my C:

I do agree we need to refine it, but as I see it, its the best choice to save Zhangguo, save Shun and all those who depend on us, finish the Tang, avert catastrophe and sake's Nurwa's loneliness. Also, we get to punch Bai Jiutian before we go. Inna Face.

- Heavanz want new dinasty or BAD THINGS - according to Nurwa - happen. Shun wants to help people and soften the blow that is the end of the Tang. Nurwa wants Jing, baddly. We give them a new dinasty now-ish, in exchange for Nurwa taking us later. Butting heads with HEAVANZ is useless. Shun and Li Meng are both half-right and half-wrong - Heavens and fate influence the fate of human beings, but they only set the background, its humans who choose their fate in the end. Fighting it is worthless, and everyone wants something. This time, we all get what we want - Shun saves the Central Plains, Jing does what he has to do in his life, Nurwa gets Jing for eternity.

- The Ascension was a way to promote stability and maybe even set up someone heaven wants on the throne. We could easily make Shun and his children disappear then kill all claimants to the throne Heaven doesn't like. Jing is powerful, Shun has bullshit tech. The objective is pull a mostly-bloodless coup. Shun will help with this as his last duty and part of his absolution towards the eyes of HEAVANZ.

- Here's a idea: We ask mercy for Shun, his children and any of his siblings Shun likes (afraid we might get Shun's scholarsis killed in the crossfire) - We punish him in a way befitting a Emperor - strip him and his descendants of all his power and honour, make him into little better than a peasant. Perhaps we could even make him our Adjutant, doing everything we want him to. His descendants will be ours' adjutants, forever. :troll: Someone gotta make sure things are tidy in Maniac Island, after all. That seems very humiliating for a Emperor, and nice book ends.

- As for the wait: How about making it a courtship? Jing is but a young man, after all. We don't know Nurwa, after all, even if we know she loves Jing. We should know each other better before the marriage, we can dally in the meantime and she's always welcome on Maniac Island anytime. We can have some fun to prepare for the main course! She will have us eventually, she is a goddess. Catter to her skittishness, pride and vanity! Saudade aumenta o amor.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, I like the one where we get some divine snake tail more.

^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I don't like that ending because there's a lot Jing has to do yet. I mean, two children? Jing is the harem king, we need at least two children per wife! Jing only has three so far in his harem (Qillin, Cao'er, Yunzi), we need to get Yifang (to complete the TWINS! achievement) and Nie's daughters. Nurwa can get in the queue, she will have best for last (how many children can we make in a few millenia? Let's find out!). Not to mention we gotta get the Fire Cult, the Wudu Cult and the Ashina settled, they depend on us as well.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Have you read Lambchop's idea? It's actually pretty good (the only thing I object to on it is the 10-year period, I don't think that will fly with Nuwa).

^ Top  
  17. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    I'm opposed to any stupid ideas that try to hoodwink Nuwa or suck up to her.

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'll close the votes in 12 hours.

^ Top  
  19. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    First off, I think we should reject any notion of D outright and I think that it's a flip-flop disaster waiting to happen. We've stepped deep in some quicksand, and trying to forcefully pull ourselves out is just going to drag us even deeper.

I'll repost the Chi You story to see what you bros have to make of this stuff:

And an interesting snippet from this update:

treave, I'm a little confused: why is Heaven convinced that the new dynasty will bring ruin to both Heaven and Earth? Is this something beyond our understanding? As vindictive as Nuwa seems to be, I don't think that she's lying about the fact that she seems to need Jing's help badly, so hopefully we can find some way to use that to our advantage, despite the fact that we're a mortal that she can squash like a bug.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It's the other way around. She's claiming that if we don't get a new dynasty, things will be fucked.

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Oh, by "new dynasty" I should have meant, "the dynasty that Li Ming ushed in".

Yeah, but why? Given that Jing was first specifically picked out to serve as the Crown Prince's Adjutant when he was a child, and the Li Ming's superstitions, he clearly wished to postpone Heaven fucking things over for him for as long as possible. But why is Heaven so convinced that if there isn't a new dynasty, things will be fucked?

^ Top  
  22. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Because Nuwa is a manipulative bitch?

Hence why I am voting D? A-C are all going to lead to worse results, tbh.

I'm picking the Abort option while it's still there.

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    treave, does the Fire Cult revere some entity that Jing could possibly think to come in handy here were he to believe?

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Li Ming didn't usher in any new dynasty. No idea where that idea came from. What he 'wishes' might only have been him playing into Heaven's hands over and over anyway. If you try to ask Nuwa about anything, all you're going to get is "The designs of Heaven are not for mortal ears" with a hint of impatience.

If you wanted concrete answers to the affairs of the gods, should've spent less time training, more time on seemingly meaningless sidequests, and found the divine astrologer. :lol:

I did say there was zero chance of dying if you pray. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I agree D will get us fully screwed by Nuwa, but I just can't understand why everyone is so eager to basically get 'game over, snake lady fucks you for the ages and you lose everything you built up'. Nobody cares about Qilin? The baby? Cao'er? Guo Fu? Zhang Jue? Fire Temple?

I'm willing to back a C option which at least has Jing hang around for the next couple of decades to enjoy life, but for a guy who never really had much to do with or knew much about HEAVAN and the fate of the entire realm, for a guy who is defined by his friends and the jianghu and adventures, it just seems wrong to do some kind of Ean-like Sacrifice.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)