Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
I'm not actually sure how this vote works exactly.

Esquilax

Arcane
I can hardly believe the Hospital LP, which is the simplest of them, is winning.

I guess this is the reason games like Amnesia and Outlast are so popular despite their simple gameplay.

Simple? All the CYOA LP's have operated in the exact same way:

1. Examine a list of choices
  2. DISCUSS!!! many pages
  3. ???
  4. PROFIT! Butthurt
I think that the bare-bones survival-horror narrative is part of the appeal, actually. We've had two LP's in Epic and Legend that have both dealt with big events, huge dramas between powerful characters, and generally dealing with characters who are very important/powerful/influential in the world that they inhabit. Ean was a god who could take on an army single-handed at the beginning of the story, and by the end of Legend, Xu Jing was probably the greatest martial artist in the world.

A good survival-horror, on the other hand, is supposed to make you feel weak and vulnerable. I have a feeling that we might not be playing as the same juggernauts we've been used to controlling so far, and for a lot of people that change of pace can be very refreshing.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A good survival-horror, on the other hand, is supposed to make you feel weak and vulnerable. I have a feeling that we might not be playing as the same juggernauts we've been used to controlling so far, and for a lot of people that change of pace can be very refreshing.
Which is why it has my vote. Flopping to C>A also. In hindsight, I rather enjoyed playing Senya at the beginning of the second book of Epic. We couldn't do jack and our greater intellect only allowed us to realize how screwed we were after we picked a wrong choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I suppose it's the 'simplest' when you look at the scale of the story from the sample I posted and the basic concept. No globe-trotting, generational sagas like in A, no flashy heroes and villains battling in a sprawling city like in B. The scale is a lot more smaller, as is the cast. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean the narrative will turn out any less complex than the other choices despite the personal scale.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Less characters = more time to flesh them out = more attachment and butthurt when they will be inevitably murdered due to genre conventions. It is going to be glorious.

Oh, and the Codex can't into horror. If we see something strange, alien and unsettling, we feel the urge to go talk to it, or we straight up go MAXIMUM FUCK and slap it in the face until either it submits or we are dead.

Unless, of course, it has tentacles or at least a snake tail that could pass for one. Then we romance it.

I suppose we'll burn through the cast rather quickly. :lol:

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
I didn't mean simple in the pejorative way, I was simply referring to the smaller scale of the events that are happening and the smaller cast. However this does have the advantage to be more deep and profound, tackling with themes that weren't as present in other CYOA's, and that's why I voted for it.

It kind of reminds me of Amnesia, the atmosphere at least.

Baltika9

Arcane
Dear Zhang Jue,
What is your history with Shangguan Chuji? Your life approaches to life are almost exact opposites, and yet you get along very well. How have you come to such a close relationship?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I guess the appeal of C is massive "pssible huge butthurt" sign it has...
I can't be possible only one that think that codex will have massive butthurt once it gets playing a horror setting in small location and finds out that you can't possible Yolo trought that one.

Not that I am complaining since I am probably one of first people to vote retard vote and thinking it's good idea.:lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mr. B said:
Dear Zhang Jue,
What is your history with Shangguan Chuji? Your life approaches to life are almost exact opposites, and yet you get along very well. How have you come to such a close relationship?

ZJ: I should let him answer that one... wait, he has run off again. Pardon me, but I will need to go hunt him down. He is just a very shy person, I'm afraid.

Absinthe

Arcane
I wonder if we could be a villain in C. You know, the kind of psycho who likes to mess with people's heads for his own benefit/amusement. There's usually at least one guy like that in these stories. Why not be that guy?

We've been playing a lot of nonstop heroic types. Might be good to be a bastard for a change.

Baltika9

Arcane
Dear Zhang Jue,
After your tour of the Americas and the poles is completed, will you be looking into new locales and venues? If so, where do you plan on giving your next performance?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I wonder if we could be a villain in C. You know, the kind of psycho who likes to mess with people's heads for his own benefit/amusement. There's usually at least one guy like that in these stories. Why not be that guy?

We've been playing a lot of nonstop heroic types. Might be good to be a bastard for a change.

A - multiple predefined protagonists, voter influence on protagonist personality possible but rare.
B - single protagonist mainly defined by character creation, like this LP.
C - blank slate protagonist, choices gradually define personality.

The possibility is definitely there.

The problem is that Codex is nice deep down inside and won't play a sociopath unless tricked into doing so.

Esquilax

Arcane
The problem is that Codex is nice deep down inside and won't play a sociopath unless tricked into doing so.

This is true. We need someone with the strength and the resolve to guide us to The Way of the Asshole. Smashing Axe, please teach us your ways.

Anyways, I'm really intrigued by the fact that Spiral seems to be a considerably different experience than the last two LP's. Flopping to C, I'm pretty sold on it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mr. B said:
Dear Zhang Jue,
After your tour of the Americas and the poles is completed, will you be looking into new locales and venues? If so, where do you plan on giving your next performance?

ZJ: I have heard from my disciple that Heaven is pretty nice at this time of the year.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Anyways, I'm really intrigued by the fact that Spiral seems to be a considerably different experience than the last two LP's.

One week later, everyone finds out it's just the animu weeabooisms of the past two years distilled into a Japanese horror setting and cranked up to 11 meganimus desu. :troll:

Anyway, I'll close the votes now so I have enough time to do the prep work. C wins.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Don't worry guys!
I am sure nothing horrible will happen in that horror setting, because Treave got jesus avatar!
There couldn't possible anything horrible happening to us, because we got Jesus DM our next LP!
Hurraah! we are safe from butthurt for our Lord savior is hosting the game!!!!!! We are going to be totally safe!!!

I hardly been more excited in my life before about finding PEACE & LOVE in our hospital horror setting.
:bounce:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Well fuck, late again. I guess one vote to B wouldn't have changed anything?

Jester

Arbiter
Don't worry guys!
I am sure nothing horrible will happen in that horror setting, because Treave got jesus avatar!
There couldn't possible anything horrible happening to us, because we got Jesus DM our next LP!
Hurraah! we are safe from butthurt for our Lord savior is hosting the game!!!!!! We are going to be totally safe!!!

I hardly been more excited in my life before about finding PEACE & LOVE in our hospital horror setting.

Hmm or does that mean we need saving already? Personally i am bit unnerved that its south park Hesus.... Oh god dont say our name is "Kenny". We are screwed, owned and defeated. All death routes inc. Finding peace & love sound like dying. Omygod Omygod Omygod.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
-Playing kenny in horror setting aka playing as undead like in Dark souls.
-everyone else is screwed and die, while we die again and again while losing sanity.
-mah grimdark boner

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well fuck, late again. I guess one vote to B wouldn't have changed anything?

No, it wouldn't have.

Though I was planning on pulling a meta-troll if A or B won by starting out normally before shifting you into the hospital halfway through a sentence someways into the first update.

Down into the depths they went, the Mercenary and the old man. The stench of rotting flesh grew ever stronger as they descended. The carved stairs winding its way into the bowels of the earth turned into unpolished rock, and then into nothing more than a steep, rocky decline. Their way was lit only by the flickering torches that only seemed all too fragile against the darkness that assailed from all sides. At those depths, the Mercenary lost all track of time and the floor is cold, hard, and exceedingly uncomfortable. Your head is pounding. He sped up his footsteps as much as he could but the first fact does not help the second. Not one bit. All that kept him moving forward was a soft chanting that had been carried up the stairs some time ago, and you finally open your eyes, staring at your distorted reflection in the wheel resting just in front of you. As your gaze moves slowly upwards, you realize that the black rubber wheel is attached to a shiny metal leg, which itself supports a dull, orange plastic tray. You gradually realize the familiar smell that has been irritating you all this while is that of disinfectant...

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Age of exploration or whatever the fuck you call 1600 hospitals vs future superhero hospital, which one is better and why?
Discuss!
:happytrollboy:

Kipeci

Arcane
If we're going to be trapped in a hospital, we're going to need to learn to play doctor like a pro. Let's make Yao proud and become the true physician that we passed up on being!

Jester

Arbiter
We will be a doctor trying to further medicine not restricted by those pesky human rights. Or mby not, we will see.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Will we have social charm of rottent frog thought?
More importantly can we carry out work of those brave and bold shaolin metal workers using mannegins and other materials around hospital?

I feel much safer when we have with us murderwaifu made of metal in horror setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom