Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/2852758

:necro:
Uh, sorry for necroing the thread, but...

It is a pretty good read and I have recommended it to a few people. Naturally, I also recommended them to skip all the associated DISCUSS, because it got ridiculous at times.

Unfortunately, people going through the links in the first post would miss a few interesting excerpts that aren't linked to anywhere.

Zhang Jue interludes:
Zhang Jue Gaiden - appears after The Imperial Agent
Zhang Jue Gaiden II
- appears after Fall Into the Darkness

Other interludes:
The Sword Saint, Bai Juitan and Vahista hanging out - appears after Stand and Retreat
The tale of Chi You and Nuva
- appears after Xsaora Vairya

Various endings we've got on the way to finish:
It is a shame that the whole alternative timeline where we went Full Wudang got cut out (there were some genuinely good pieces there), but some scraps still remain.
Tiger's End - Don't Be a Menace to Youxia City
Xu Jing in Bai Juitan's pretty head, part 1
Xu Jing in Bai Juitan's pretty head, part 2
Black End - Zhang manxing and his magic powder, appears after Black and White II
Zhang Jue End
- Women are evil, appears after The Shaolin Gauntlet IV
The War God’s Tale
- a.k.a. The DEMONZ End, appears after The Morning After

Other LPs' advertisement:
The Founder’s Decision, Cthulhu LP Prologue
Hoborider Timeline
Hobo Rider Rides Forth, part 1
Hobo Rider Rides Forth, part 2

Hobo Rider Rides Forth, part 3 and Zhang Jue Gaiden III

Random things, drafts, etc:
The Chief Metalworker of Shaolin - appears after The Shaolin Gauntlet II
Girl's Talk -
appears after White End
Shun's Last Words
- appears after
DENSETSU THE ANIME -
not chronologically related
Cao'er growing Jing's clones - not chronologically related, though still might be canon :M

Paging treave to maybe add some or all of them as Interludes/Extras?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I didn't link the extras on purpose because they were meant to be special 'secrets' for those who had faithfully followed every page of the LP until it ended.

But it's fine to keep the links here at the end of the topic since you went to the amazing trouble of dredging them up in a 30,000 post thread.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's a fitting consequence for a roll back. I stand by my decision.

Of course, I archived the updates before I deleted them. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Of course, I archived the updates before I deleted them. :M
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I remember parts of them were reused when we returned to Youxia two years later, so I knew they weren't completely lost. Still, it would be nice to see them again some day...

Please..?
w0IoF9LoTuq0V2jpeEKN_man_begging_a_girl_to_stay.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll reuse them in Legend 2, coming this summer, June 2015, a sequel set 50 years after the alternate (original?) storyline where Xu Jing was imprisoned beneath the palace dungeons following the assassination in Youxia.

There will be baby making.

:M

Nevill

Arcane
Will the Captain manage to fend off the Rus horde? What plan does he have in mind? Will he finally decide to run away and make babies with Marie? Find out all this, and more, in “Chronicle: The Summertime of Chaos”, Coming June 2015.
Hmm... sounds like a busy schedule. Unless they are one and the same.

Holy Shulgi!
For a brief moment, you are one with the tree, and you know what it knew. You feel the eastern continent crumble under your fingertips, the roots that had long allowed it to thrive withering and shrinking with every second. The millions of people that the tree draws back into itself in its death throes only serves to feed your strength further.
Ean was not responsible for the genocide of the Concordiat's population! What he felt was just a flashback. It was Jing Xue all along that has created a wasteland where China once used to be!

We knew there were Immortals and that Ameretat was into tentacles. It all makes sense now. Legend was set in the Epicverse! :happytrollboy:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Legend was set in the Epicverse! :happytrollboy:

Nah, it's just a joke. There's no such thing as a Treave LP Universe (TM) mythos connecting everything together. There are definitely no tentacle soft toy franchises in the planning, nor any Disney deals in the making. :M

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Baltika9

Arcane
Nah, it's just a joke. There's no such thing as a Treave LP Universe (TM) mythos connecting everything together. There are definitely no tentacle soft toy franchises in the planning, nor any Disney deals in the making. :M
What you need is an agent.

Baltika9

Arcane
Legend was set in the Epicverse! :happytrollboy:

Nah, it's just a joke. There's no such thing as a Treave LP Universe (TM) mythos connecting everything together. There definitely are no tentacle soft toy franchises in the planning, nor any Disney deals in the making.
I'm just gonna wait for the inevitable Baltika9, Nevill, Esquilax, Lambchop19 and Absinthe posts that will sew the Treaverse together.
That wouldn't be all that difficult, actually. We did bring the Old Earth into our alternate solar system, so there's your bridge right there.

Nevill

Arcane
That means we can't blame all of Jing's failures on Shulgi since he wasn't there until the merge happened.

Unacceptable. :rpgcodex:

No, the Legend was set in alternate China. We'll find an explanation.

Baltika9

Arcane
Man Tiger Pig doesn't need anyone to blame things on. He owns his decisions, even if they're stupid. Unless we kill him and whine for a reload, but we're conveniently ignoring that part for the sake of continuity.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
That means we can't blame all of Jing's failures on Shulgi since he wasn't there until the merge happened.

Unacceptable. :rpgcodex:

No, the Legend was set in alternate China. We'll find an explanation.
Clearly it was one of simulations in the underground lab in the hospital. Cao'er broke out and started creating clones in the real world!

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:

So, I finished reading this. Quite a fun read all around, although sometimes it was a bit hard to keep track of the plot because of these annoying Chinese names thrown everywhere. Jing is certainly the epitome of "Chaotic Good" alignment. In fact, most of the cast was awesome, with many being larger-than-life characters or outright walking forces of nature. Hell, even the aristocratic bro, in spite of his state as blue-blooded scum was quite sympathetic.

Still, I found some details that apparently were forgotten/resolves somewhere else. For example: What happened with Cao'er's warning that she could go crazy if she saw someone getting hurt? And where did that little girl with immortal powers appear from?

Lastly, I wasn't aware that high-level Wuxia battles were so similar to DBZ fights. That, or people in this setting grow stronger the older they get (regardless of their physical and mental state).:M

Nevill

Arcane
What happened with Cao'er's warning that she could go crazy if she saw someone getting hurt?
That's 'if she hurt someone'. She never did, though, as far as we are aware. We managed to dodge these situations.

But yeah, I wonder what that was about. Was it another manifestation of her crazy, or was there something else at works?

Kipeci

Arcane
I've been going through this again, and there are plenty of mysteries that I don't think we ever ended up figuring out. How the bandit at the start knew us to be a dog of the court, who the decrepit secret service guy we snuffed out was precisely working for, what in the world the Boack Dragon Society was up to, that all-seeing astrologer that it seems we were fated not to meet... it's incredible to me that treave could output such a vast body of work and still give the impression of a world that we couldn't hope to experience in full.

You can't help but wonder what it would have ended up like if we'd tagged along with the fire cult or not gone through with the rollbacks, or any number of other pivotal decisions that altered the course of the whole thing. That doesn't even get into alternate starting characters! This just gets more incredible to look back on over time, and I can't say that about the bulk of what I read.

Nevill

Arcane
How the bandit at the start knew us to be a dog of the court, who the decrepit secret service guy we snuffed out was precisely working for, what in the world the Boack Dragon Society was up to, that all-seeing astrologer that it seems we were fated not to meet...
The recommendation letter from Shun with the seal of Imperial Court, plus a lot of money.
The guy was working for the chief eunuch (who was aligned with Shun's rival, I think?) Though he was pursuing Yunzi to the haunted manor on behalf of Mao Sanjiao, who was behind the Wufushan attack. I have no idea what his connection with Sanjiao was (though we know Mao was a liaison with the secret police) and how it benefitted the eunuch. Maybe the goverment felt threatened by the Fire Cult as well?
Black Dragon Society plotline I have no clear idea about, though I assume they were mercenaries who were bought off by Nies to develop an ultimate martial drug. It was later used for a false flag operation with Yang Xue and lead to Shun's attempt to persecute the orthodox community, which we thwarted. Ultimately, they were pawns in the schemes of others, and they met an appropriate end.
Astrologer was supposed to help us if we PRAYED, but we missed him, and treave is being tight-lipped on the potential nature of his help.

Yeah, the scope of the work is quite astonishing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom