Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Esquilax

Arcane
Well shit, we can't drop out now that Qi Liuwu has all that money riding on us! The guy just taught us another step of the Xianglong Eighteen Palms, so C is definitely out.

His fist techniques don’t seem to be self-taught or anything basic, but you cannot identify the school that it is from. The punches are straight and powerful, yet his footwork travels in a circular, sliding motion.

My theory here is that Guo Fu's low INT actually helped him create techniques because he is more focused on doing rather than getting too bogged down in theory. The problem with being too smart for your own good is paralysis-by-analysis, and since Guo Fu just does things so naturally, he's able to develop techniques that are actually aided by his lack of contemplation on what he does.

As for the choices, we must keep in mind that all of our future opponents are watching us, and Bai Jiutian is also still watching us right now, no doubt about it. While pushing ourselves to our limits improves our skills, it necessitates using all of the tricks that we possess to defeat the physical freak of nature that is Guo Fu. The question that you need to ask yourselves is whether the improvement in our overall skills justifies revealing all of our techniques to the world. I'd say that an inferior fighter who has lots of knowledge on his opponent is at an advantage against a superior fighter who knows nothing about his opponent; our bout with Rong Zhiyu demonstrated this pretty well.

Baltika9, if we pick B, the Masters would still vouch for us that we're Zhang's apprentice even if we win this fight the pussy way with B. I'm not sure how convincing it'll look to the public, but they'll definitely do it for us. The downside is that such a weak-ass victory wouldn't count as a win in Zhang's book, so we'd have to fight the big guy again once he becomes a student of one of the Eight Sects - which will definitely happen. Also, I'm worried that we'll gain the reputation of a fighter who abuses the rules to suit himself considering our previous trick against Nie Mudan.

Another point in favour of A is that an entertaining fight against the big guy would draw us closer. It's like how Rocky and Apollo became best buds after kicking the shit out of each other (twice). BROdom is forged through tough battles and shared adversity, even if it's against each other. But is that worth giving away our tricks? I don't think so.

B

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, Qi bet on you. The Abbot actually bet on Guo Fu. Guess that didn't come across too clearly. It is probably still a rather considerable sum of money of course.

He's still butthurt about that, really? :lol: Well, we gotta fix that, Quiling is a real sister in trolling for us, and she actually cares for our welfare when she's not helping Cao'er date-rape us. I dunno, I think she's awesome and would make a good team with us, despite my personal aversion to poisons. And come on, she was asking for a hug, what's wrong with a hug?

Not really, no, but first impressions die hard. He's still wary of her on some level. Who knows if she's going to troll him by dropping centipedes down his shirt when he goes to cuddle poor widdle her?

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9, if we pick B, the Masters would still vouch for us that we're Zhang's apprentice even if we win this fight the pussy way with B. I'm not sure how convincing it'll look to the public, but they'll definitely do it for us. The downside is that such a weak-ass victory wouldn't count as a win in Zhang's book, so we'd have to fight the big guy again once he becomes a student of one of the Eight Sects - which will definitely happen. Also, I'm worried that we'll gain the reputation of a fighter who abuses the rules to suit himself considering our previous trick against Nie Mudan.

Another point in favour of A is that an entertaining fight against the big guy would draw us closer. It's like how Rocky and Apollo became best buds after kicking the shit out of each other (twice). BROdom is forged through tough battles and shared adversity, even if it's against each other. But is that worth giving away our tricks? I don't think so.
I dunno, man, the Masters can vouch for us, yeah, but it won't have the sheer dramatic effect that A would set up, the clueless fop that won by trolling suddenly comes out and starts throwing around the heaviest shit in the most intense sparring match to ever take place in the Young Tiger tournament. This shit makes legends, ours and Guo's.
And I'm well aware that our competition is sitting on the bylines, sizing us up, and B gives us the advantage of MYSTARY! And that's a definite point in it's advantage. However, with the skill bonuses (seriously, unarmed 6 and sowrds 5, we'll be pushing way past our peers and some of our seniors with these skills) we gain from this fight, the experience in fighting against a tougher-then-usual opponent and the BROHOOD we get out of this with Guo (seriously, B may teach him restraint, but pussying out like that will either make him act like a whipped dog with us or just break any respect he had for us). Also, with us beating the shit out of the WiB's catspaw, they will get suspicious and come to us instead of us chasing them, which makes our investigation much easier by not having to chase them around the whole damned city. So there's that, too.
Not really, no, but first impressions die hard. He's still wary of her on some level. Who knows if she's going to troll him by dropping centipedes down his shirt when he goes to cuddle poor widdle her?
Then we'll have some "bite marks" she can take a look at later.
Captura_de_tela_2012-01-29__s_14.39.59.png
It'll be an ever-escalating trolling-courtship.
Also, Zhang Jue was mocking his disciple.
Implying that he could have done way batter. Faith in Zhang=restored. :salute:

Well, A could be good if we plan to declare ourselves the disciple of the Maniac. C could be used if we want to stay anonymous, but I don't know if there is a point to this now. After all, if we lose people would be even more convinced that Guo Fu could really be the apprentice and then if it becomes necessary to declare ourselves as the real apprentice it would be harder to sway their opinion if we just lost to the guy. I don't like B for the same reason - it gives us victory, but does not prove us to be actually better then our opponent. If anything, him hurting us makes Guo look even more like the Maniac's apprentice he is suspected to be.

Alright, I'm going with A here for now. Let's get serious (and possibly broken). I'm not so worried about the risk to Jing as the risk to Guo Fu - let's hope we don't cause him any real injuries. In any case, with what Guo has shown in this tournament so far he should have no problems finding a place for himself in some sect, even if he loses now.

asxetos

Augur
A is risky. We might not recover in time for the finals. It is a matter of trusting that Cao'er and Qilin can get us in shape again :wink:
B is the safer option here, and seems un-bro-like, but i believe that Guo Fu will surrender himself if he finds out that he broke our arm. He is a kind-hearted beast like that.
C i dont know. I think we are too far to drop out now. A good arguement is that Qilin thinks that only Guo Fu can beat Nameless and we dont know the consequences of having Nameless win the tournament.

I will probably go for A or B but will wait for more arguements.

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, B just feels completely repulsive and wrong to me, it's against everything Jing stands for. It's just such a pussy-ass way to win that I feel ill just by thinking about it.

Esquilax

Arcane
I dunno, man, the Masters can vouch for us, yeah, but it won't have the sheer dramatic effect that A would set up, the clueless fop that won by trolling suddenly comes out and starts throwing around the heaviest shit in the most intense sparring match to ever take place in the Young Tiger tournament. This shit makes legends, ours and Guo's.
And I'm well aware that our competition is sitting on the bylines, sizing us up, and B gives us the advantage of MYSTARY! And that's a definite point in it's advantage. However, with the skill bonuses (seriously, unarmed 6 and sowrds 5, we'll be pushing way past our peers and some of our seniors with these skills) we gain from this fight, the experience in fighting against a tougher-then-usual opponent and the BROHOOD we get out of this with Guo (seriously, B may teach him restraint, but pussying out like that will either make him act like a whipped dog with us or just break any respect he had for us). Also, with us beating the shit out of the WiB's catspaw, they will get suspicious and come to us instead of us chasing them, which makes our investigation much easier by not having to chase them around the whole damned city. So there's that, too.

No, B won't diminish our friendship. Fu is such a kind-hearted and gentle guy that he'd probably just feel terrible that he broke Jing's arm. Good point about fucking up the WiBs plans though. They've been trying to pin Guo Fu as the apprentice, but if we end up beating him, then that lends credence to our claim of being Zhang's apprentice and it stops all attacks against the big guy and his wife. How could he be Zhang's apprentice if he's been stopped in the quarter-finals?

As for fighting Nameless, putting up a good fight or even defeating her seems like a way that we might make friends with her, perhaps.

Also, B just feels completely repulsive and wrong to me, it's against everything Jing stands for. It's just such a pussy-ass way to win that I feel ill just by thinking about it.

This is true, I'm tempted to flop just out of the repulsiveness of winning by disqualification. We would be winning the same way that Matt Hamill "won" against Jon Jones, basically. But treave also realizes that the Codex would never vote for such an option, even especially if it's the best one, which is why he put it there.

:troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
I wouldn't be so sure about that. :lol:
Anyway, not only will it stop the attacks against Fu, it will also make the WiBs come at us, which really makes our job that much easier.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's the option that allows you to progress without any further risk of injury.

Also I just realized that Guo Fu will be the only male fighter you fought throughout the entire tournament. Jing's (un)luck with women strikes again. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Can't stop Jing's pimpin'. With the hordes of women that are coming after our ass, we really should ask the Abbot and Grand Tao for girl advice. Which will probably sound something like this:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Do not be surprised if Wang Zhengchong comes down from the mountain a few years later and tells you you can totally master your neigong by doing some form of this, before teaching you the ultimate tantric technique.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh my god, that totally sounds like something he would do. And we better damn listen, too, a strong dynasty needs a lot of children to carry it, how else will Temujin share our blood?

You are the best GM ever. Period.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait, from that same page you just linked:
Jing[edit]
Another important concept of "The Joining of the Essences" was that the union of a man and a woman would result in the creation of jing, a type of sexual energy. When in the act of lovemaking, jing would form, and the man could transform some of this jing into qi, and replenish his lifeforce. By having as much sex as possible, men had the opportunity to transform more and more jing, and as a result would see many health benefits.
Jing's first name is the energy of sexual frustration. No way is this a coincidence, it's just too perfect.

kazgar

Arcane
Will it heal before the next fight? (which is tomorrow?) Or doesn't that matter? What if the injures get worse, what if the wib's come back while injured, what if caoer can't help?

Who needs the win? Do we? Guo probably does.

Do we need to fight nameless at all?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Cao'er can't use pressure points to heal us. Her efficacy is reduced resultantly, this would make us unlikely to win the next fight, if we aren't outright disqualified. A is very tempting still. But I want us to win the entire tournament for our dramatic reveal. I also fear that our bad luck will come into play and result in us killing or maiming Guo Fu.

B>A

Baltika9

Arcane
That didn't seem to stop her last night, though, we're at 100 % today. I'm sure she'll be glad to do some more vigorous treatments tonight.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It was mostly medicinal work. The stripping was actually pointless. Well, to your recovery, at least.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, we already have a counter to her technique all thought out, and I'm pretty sure we can use her fixation on Jing to our advantage and score a victory. And, really, the damage is already done to us, we have a cracked bone. Beyond completely breaking it or ripping off one of our limbs, there's not much Guo can do for us. Besides, as good as he is, Jing already has him figured out, the guy's and awesome fighter but very simple and without much restraint. If we go all-out, I doubt he'll last long enough to render us uncapable of fighting.

kazgar

Arcane
I think the bets mostly irrelevant to the decision, both people should know its a tournament and shit happens.

A only guarantees skill ups, but at a potential physical cost to Guo, or ourselves (or both). Doesn't guarantee the win.

B guarantees a win, but could be seen to be dishonourable/out of character, though also correct by the rules.

C guarantees a loss, Guo will probably thank us though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the bets mostly irrelevant to the decision, both people should know its a tournament and shit happens.

A only guarantees skill ups, but at a potential physical cost to Guo, or ourselves (or both). Doesn't guarantee the win.

B guarantees a win, but could be seen to be dishonourable/out of character, though also correct by the rules.

C guarantees a loss, Guo will probably thank us though.
He'll probably not like such a cheap win, mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom