Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What in the sam hill just happened here?
:what:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Didn't vote, but if I had, I would've voted C for the previous option. Try and find the sword and manual on our own, failing that, run. Trying to take on the head of the secret police? Dangerous and stupid. Try to double-cross the local crime boss? Dangerous and stupid. Come back when we're healed and have gathered a posse of unorthodox pugilists? The smarter move.

But we play the hand we're dealt, right? Treave made an update describing Jing's death. I say we roll with that, shift focus to another character. I want my goat doctor.. :troll:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anabanana said:
If the point is to harass Du Yao until he gives us the manual and shit, we can just change our demands to asking for Du Yao's daughter's undergarments. We can claim we fell in lust with her and want her panties - it's in character for us, after all.
At this point, why not explicitly reveal that the items ended up in the possession of the lord of the city?
That puts pressure on him alright, provided that the people believe it. We can also put the legitimacy of his rule under doubt by alluding to the fact that the cursed state of the city is a direct result of his selfish actions.

If nobody would dare to whore, gamble and spend money, there is bound to be a lot of people that would want to ask Du Yao questions, however dangerous he may be.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
The second point is that... well... the things you're looking for aren't held by anyone who cares about the city's business.

Yes, I agree but that is a problem with choice E in general and I am not sure how exactly to address it.

That being said we could still make life very difficult for the thief in question, presumably any thief that is well established also has connections with the criminal underworld in general, we may not be able to directly hurt the thief but if we can put enough pressure on the fences connected to him/her then maybe they will flip and rat the thief out. Perhaps we can make further demands as well, something along the lines of "if anyone tries to leave the city then the spirits will flay them and hang them from the gates". Get one of the brothers or a beggar that is in our pocket to pretend to be a merchant and "try to flee the city" then have "the spirits" attack them and carry them off. The next morning the guards find a chopped up corpse hanging from the gates in a sack (we could chop up a pig or dig up a corpse for this, not exacting honourable or pious acts but we are kind of well past that now).

If we can keep anyone from leaving through fear and place enough pressure on the administration we may just get what we want...

All that remains is to see how Du Yao will react

Well I am fairly certain he will see through our ruse (I mean he seems fairly observant) but as long as we can keep him from catching us then the people may well force his hand.

and also hope that a Chinese Scooby Doo gang isn't somewhere nearby to expose you as a fraud.

If they show up we just kill Chinese Fredie with his own ascot and Daphne and Velma join the harem, problem solved. :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not to mention just what the secret police would think, seeing you up there putting on an amazing show and all. :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guess no one thought of advertising that we're selling the sword and manual was a good idea.
Oh well.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Perhaps? Well, I'm just saying that you'll definitely be noticed, being the talk of the town and all. Whether they do anything about it is another matter.

Shouldn't have killed that guy in the haunted mansion... you wouldn't have to worry about the secret police half as much if you didn't, actually - I mean sure he might have ratted your position out, but at least you wouldn't have made enemies of them by killing one of their own and then getting found out almost immediately in the next town over because you decided to walk into an unfriendly fortress with balls of brass. Karma, dudes. Karma. :rpgcodex:

Guess no one thought of advertising that we're selling the sword and manual was a good idea.
Oh well.

It's a good idea, but wouldn't have been successful for the same reason that the 10,000 Spirits plan won't gain you the items directly, i.e. whoever has it doesn't care about the city, isn't in the city, and the transaction has long been concluded by the time you arrived. You were supposed to ask around to get these clues piece by piece, though that may have been too long a process to stomach.

Now seeing as Du Yao can obtain it within three days you can surmise that it's not far from Youxia City, perhaps a day's travel to and back. But it's a rather big area to search by yourself and you don't have the sort of luck that would have you bumping into the guy in a road-side tavern.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
Shouldn't have killed that guy in the haunted mansion...
And now you've just killed half of the intrigue.

Actually, can one recover after being drained almost dry by a ghost?

treave said:
Whether they do anything about it is another matter.
Gao Ying is here, is he not? He would be the only one with time to spare to hunt us.

Anabanana

Augur
I never wanted to kill that guy in the first place, so don't take that tone with me treave! *grumblegrumblebloodthirstycodexgrumble*

But we play the hand we're dealt, right? Treave made an update describing Jing's death. I say we roll with that, shift focus to another character. I want my goat doctor.. :troll:

I'm fine with that too. We could always switch to Cao'er, or play Bai Jiutian having to clean up Jing's mess. And comfort Guo Fu's mourning widow... :negative:

Anabanana said:
If the point is to harass Du Yao until he gives us the manual and shit, we can just change our demands to asking for Du Yao's daughter's undergarments. We can claim we fell in lust with her and want her panties - it's in character for us, after all.
At this point, why not explicitly reveal that the items ended up in the possession of the lord of the city?

Well that would defeat the point of not letting people know that we're out for the manual and sword.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave said:
Shouldn't have killed that guy in the haunted mansion...
And now you've just killed half of the intrigue.

Actually, can one recover after being drained almost dry by a ghost?

Well, I'm just saying that the trade-off wasn't worth it in the end, not that the guy was on Shun's side or anything. Even if he was hostile and escaped, the secret police still wouldn't place your head on the wanted list. All they know will be that Xu Jing is around and now a powerful disciple of the Southern Maniac - they don't know whose side you are on just yet. They might try to put eyes on you, but you'd have to cross them a few more times to really raise that enemy flag. Everything else is Jing's paranoia. :lol:

As for recovery, yes, but it wouldn't have been quick.

Nevill

Arcane
Anabanana said:
I'm fine with that too.
I'm not. I am too emotionally invested in Jing at this point to lose it all due to a miscommunication.

treave said:
They might try to put eyes on you, but you'd have to cross them a few more times to really raise that enemy flag.
Well, nobody expected to be found out by his colleague that quickly.
He really did arrive earlier than expected - just an hour later we would have been far away from the fortress.

treave said:
Everything else is Jing's paranoia.
Jing isn't paranoid, the 'Dex is! :D

Last edited:

MystiKnight

Educated
My suggestion:

/snip plan

Excellent suggestion, but there's two points that might need to be addressed:

First point is something I think a lot of people have glossed over to date, and that is the approach we're taking in Youxia City.

We started off identifying three master thieves that have the ability to steal from Wudang and not get caught. Our purpose here was to find at least one of them - they might not be the actual perpetrator, but they will help give insight as to how the theft was obtained, or otherwise might know which of their peers did it. Now, luckily - or unluckily - Du Yao was the first source we went to for information, and he knew where the items would be, and even said he could obtain it for us. But that was not the initial plan... meeting him has offered the opportunity to advance the quest a fair bit quicker.

The problem here is that Wudang and Huashan don't want it known that the sword and manual are missing. You will face some objections if you want to publicize that you're looking for the items in such a flashy and direct manner - it's a loss of face for them.

But this isn't too big a problem; as long as they get the items back, it'll be fine. Mostly.

The second point is that... well... the things you're looking for aren't held by anyone who cares about the city's business.

This could work as a way to disrupt business and try to pressure Du Yao to help you get what you want, but definitely not to get you the items directly. All that remains is to see how Du Yao will react... and also hope that a Chinese Scooby Doo gang isn't somewhere nearby to expose you as a fraud. :lol:

Mah newbie brotha!

Ahem. If we don't want to publicise specifically what sword and manual we are looking for, we can always pin the blame on Du Yao, and force some kind of mutiny against him in the hope that he breaks under pressure and reveals his information to us. I mean, 6 guys may not have too much of a way to pressure him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd break when his home gets mobbed by 10000 angry civilians. Just add another step to the plan, "Spread information that Du Yao knows the whereabouts of the Sword and Manual," and I think we just salvaged this ridiculous situation.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bad luck is all I can say. Gotta give that 1 LUC a little spin sometimes. :M

Kipeci

Arcane
Choices and consequences. We dug our pit and we're going to lie in it.

I'm not your 'we', the pit digging occurred entirely in my sleep. If you want true choices and consequences to be a thing, accept the actual bad ending we were just given and let's reroll rather than trying to brainstorm the one way that doesn't get Jing killed.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES:

A. Reroll a character and start from the beginning of the LP... :negative:

B. Roll a new character that starts after a twenty five year time-skip in an alternate universe where the Man Tiger Pig didn't die in Youxia City and went on to change the world.

C. Roll a new character that starts after a twenty five year time-skip in the current universe where the Man Tiger Pig had an ignominious death and had no more part to play in the jianghu.

D. Revote and reload.

E. Jump into another character, to their utmost misfortune.

F. Mothball this LP and then... Let's Go Doki Doki Cthulhu Generations ❤ !?

Revote options:

A. You seek help from your comrades in completing the mission. You ask:
I. Guo Fu
II. The Wu brothers
III. Bai Jiutian
(Select any combination, from a single helper to all of them)

B. You decide to do the mission alone. You cannot drag them into the dangerous world of court politics and potential rebellion.

C. You will continue searching for other leads – you have no intention of carrying out this mission. It is far, far too dangerous – not just the mission alone, but for your continued well-being even should you succeed in it. Hopefully you can find something useful and flee the city before Du Yao notices anything.

D. You continue searching for other leads, ignoring the mission. Let Du Yao do his worst - you never promised to help him.

E. You will betray Du Yao to the secret police. If you take care of him with their help this should buy you time to find the manual via more legitimate means.

F. You kidnap Du Yao's daughter in a friendly way. You will not be threatened into doing his bidding, and it's time he learnt that, the Man Tiger Pig way.

G. 10,000 Dread Spirits of Maniac Island. It just might be crazy enough to work.

List of characters to continue from:

Xiahou Yu

Bai Jiutian

Gao Ying

Cao'er

Chi Qilin

Yunzi

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
A. Reroll a character and start from the beginning of the LP... :negative:

Just out of curiosity, does it include adjutant with tiger sign even if we just killed one?

I must ponder this

Nevill

Arcane
Wait,

treave said:
Even if he was hostile and escaped, the secret police still wouldn't place your head on the wanted list. All they know will be that Xu Jing is around and now a powerful disciple of the Southern Maniac - they don't know whose side you are on just yet.
Wouldn't the fact that the man recognized us be a dead giveaway as to whom we serve? The outsiders may be fooled by our exile, but the police has to know about the relationship between Jing and Shun.

Edit: DB for me.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
Choices and consequences. We dug our pit and we're going to lie in it.

I'm not your 'we', the pit digging occurred entirely in my sleep. If you want true choices and consequences to be a thing, accept the actual bad ending we were just given and let's reroll rather than trying to brainstorm the one way that doesn't get Jing killed.

If you actually paid attention, I was entirely happy accepting it, and the only reason I've been brainstorming is because treave told us to. I've already said I would love going back to my original choice GOAT DOCTOR or playing another character like Bai Jiutian or Gao Ying or heck even moving on to the Cthulhu LP! My very first response had "RIP Xu Jing" ffs.

Awww, we don't get to jump to another character in the current timeline?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wait,

treave said:
Even if he was hostile and escaped, the secret police still wouldn't place your head on the wanted list. All they know will be that Xu Jing is around and now a powerful disciple of the Southern Maniac - they don't know whose side you are on just yet.
Wouldn't the fact that the man recognized us be a dead giveaway as to whom we serve? The outsiders may be fooled by our exile, but the police has to know about the relationshiop between Jing and Shun.

Yeah, but your parting was covered up as being acrimonious by Shun. He knows how to cover his bases. Also I moved the revote choice to D.

Awww, we don't get to jump to another character in the current timeline?

I suppose I'll allow that. I'll draw up a list of characters.

Anabanana

Augur
On that note, is there not an option to conclude the LP on this bad end and move on to another CYOA? C&C ftw, down with savescumming!

Nevill

Arcane
Well, to be truthful, even the opponents of the choice that got Jing killed made the same assumptions as 'we' did, that it would only piss Du Yao and/or his faction and that we'll have the backing of our team.

I'd chalk it up to a severe case of misunderstanding.

Anabanana

Augur
Before your butt gets too hurt, just remember this: Azira our saviour is to blame for this, as always. :love:

Kipeci

Arcane
I want to vote A for a straight reload from the start... I hope we can get dog doctor or ox farmer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom