Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I did always want to play a Goat Doctor. RIP, Xu Jing. :salute:

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Give us another two hours to vote/flop, please, kazgar here missed it by a minute or two.. This is more retarded than assaulting the fortress with just Senya, Rei and BROshen.
    I'd really rather this doesn't go retardo.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    To be fair, we can forgo the death if Jing gets out of the city once he realizes the plan is failing. But of course, you would have a negative reputation with Huashan, Wudang, the city, and are nowhere closer to getting the manual.

Otherwise, you guys might be able to provide some more creative ways around the problems I listed. That could work.

^ Top  
  4. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Choice and consequences! No take-backsies!

This has been a fun run, my friends, and I look forward to meeting you all again in the Cthulhu CYOA. :love:

EDIT: Oh wait we aren't actually dead? NVM then

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Sigh, goddammit guys. How about this: starving the city from the inside is retarded, how about starving it from the outside? Stop the trade from leaving the city and thus Du Yao's cashflow. That should get him riled up.

^ Top  
  6. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Well that sucks then. And all I wanted was an option to stay in the city until we get something without running away and not bothering with the mission at all. See what happens when you follow my plans people?

^ Top  
  7. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    A siege of a 10,000 plus city that's economy is based on boltholes and escape routes with 6 people, GENIUS.

^ Top  
  8. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    There is only one true answer: LAXATIVES

Let's see how the people of Youxia can whore, gamble, and drug themselves up while poo is spurting out of their anuses 24/7

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    You think I am joking

Well I'll let you know, brothers, that this time I am entirely serious about this

LAXATIVES FOR THE POO GOD!

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well... that was why I offered C for modification. Ignore the mission, continue searching for leads, but instead don't leave the city before the deadline. It was not part of the initial choice because *SPOILERS*, I suppose. As in, it wouldn't have worked as well as the other choices on offer. But it wouldn't have been as bad as angering the whole city.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    More genius than voting for E you mean?
    I plead EXXXTREME insanity and retardation on the part of the voter base. treave, will you pardon us? Pretty please with sugar and cherries on top? And if not, what are our character choices if Jing dies? I wouldn't be opposed to playing as BJ or Bro Fu, or even Gao Ying. Ideally, I'd love to LARP Zhang Jue.

^ Top  
  12. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    OOOOOOOOOOH I want to play as Bai Jiutian or Gao Ying! Mememememe!

Zhang Jue is too OP, not fun to play at all~

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    HERESY! Zhang Jue will be amazing to play, the whole world is our playground pretty much, so long as we don't piss off Big Wang.

^ Top  
  14. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    Lets make a wooden horse, stuff Guo and BJ and us into it, get the Wu Brothers to push us into the inn, when everyone asleep we'll murder the people we need to and get the prize.

Alternatively, we could get the same wooden horse, and push it into Dao's house, and do the same. Foolproof!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    We'd just turn Zhang into a retard, as is our combined COYA superpower.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Fuck, you're right. Nevermind then, leave the man undefiled.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    Its better than E as we'd probably escape as we're already outside the city and can see threats easier.

^ Top  
  18. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Fair enough. I guess I thought it would be a choice between B and C since those two were leading at first. And then people started voting for my stupid idea for some reason.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Right, instead of drawing this out to a slow and ignominious end for Jing, a guy completely undeserving of this shit, and lacking any way to actually make this retarded idea work, my official stance is:
    Let Jing die in peace and with a semblance of dignity, and spare ourselves the painful journey.

^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Nah, fuck that. If you guys want to play just take that choice back. I'll even stay away from offering other "helping" advice in the future.

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It wasn't really stupid, just that I couldn't figure out a way to make it work without giving Jing a huge boost in capability, or making Youxia City not the hive of scum and villainy it should be. The fault isn't with the idea, it's with the character who's supposed to carry it out. :lol:

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Unfortunately, backsies aren't an option. Unless treave gives us a Deus Ex Machina or allows backsies, we're pretty much stuck between soldiering to the bitter end or abandoning the task and our promise, and making ourself the For Sure enemy of the orthodox world and the criminal underworld.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well, since it was the idea that I backed, I'd have to explain what assumptions I've made about it.

1) The city makes most of its profits on highly illegal activities, that are traditionally the most profitable ones - trading in drugs, slaves or contraband goods. Brothels seem to be on a borderline legal side. I have no idea about where gambling belongs.
    2) Shutting down the most profitable (and illegal) establishments would hurt Du Yao's purse enough that he would do something about it - and presumably, fail at it. Suspending the operations on the black market alone would hurt. I did not intend to lay a fucking siege, just disrupt the operations enough to be a thorn in his side.
    3) The orthodox sects are not against upholding the law and shutting down those illegal activities. At the point where only two of us were left, it was obvious that the plan had failed.
    4) Most of the city's residents are not involved with illegal activities. Somebody have to bake bread, build things and do the mundane work. Therefore I did not expect to alienate everyone and their dog in the city.

If any of these assumptions were wrong, the plan would not work.

Me, Zero Credibility and Esquilax all though that they were a given. I guess I was wrong.

So, is it a definite game over, is it a 'make this work' situation, or can we admit that we were wrong to presume things, shut up, and get a reload?

Note to self: never ever choose anything that wasn't in the update in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    ^ Top  
  24. MystiKnight Novice

MystiKnight
    Oh jesus. A few days ago, I said to myself, this looks interesting. I'll just finish Epic first, then follow on.

And as I read through Epic, I saw how the good ol' Codex can fuck things up real badly. I said to myself, of course there's no way the Codex will completely screw up in a couple days!

Then I got back, and guess what. You went ahead and screwed up. :greatjob:

Gee, there aren't too many ways to salvage this situation. All in all, as is we are much too powerless to even dent this place, and all we can hope for is to coerce some external parties to come into this. I think that our little group wont be able to do squat right now, but maybe we are crafty enough to get others to do what we need to do for us...

Just throwing this out there, but I'm sure if we had enough time we could make up some crazy shit, like looking for some of the more.. shady people people in the world who could help us. A place like Youxia is sure to have made some enemies, right?

Violence isn't also the only way to weaken them. What about something like a illness? I'm sure that there's something we could do to mess with their water/food/anything and get the people really, really sick. Now would be a great time to have a certain skilled poison user or doctor with us, but eh.

OR we can cut the crap, ditch the sinking ship right now and start anew. I'm pretty sad that I missed both halves of Epic, and now this is looking like its done too. I would love to be there right at the start of the next one :D

Oh, and while I remember, I was kinda wondering about the cold/hot split back in Epic. We went cold and we got the 'totally-not-a-ripoff-of' the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, I don't suppose if we chose the warm path you would have gone to the other side of the Nasuverse and given us the Reality Marble? Projection doesn't equal Creation, but close enough.

^ Top  
  25. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Serious question: What's the water supply situation look like in Youxia city? Is it all wells, and if so how many are there, or do they mainly get water from nearby rivers?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)