Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've made a conditional vote, see my original vote.

Oh, and don't listen to Esquilax, he led us astray with the last vote, remember? :rpgcodex:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Guo Fu's huge body and frame is way too easy to recognize, plus involving him in something this dangerous when he's got a pregnant wife is just way too low. That's close to Dio-level sociopathy right there. As for the Wu bros, I suppose they could help, and they don't have an ego about them, so are they an option?

Wudang brothers want manual and sword back more than anyone in our team. Jing is smart enought to manipulate them and they are skilled fighters. It would be rather new low for Jing to manipulate naive and ignorant of ways of underground young orthodox fighter, but as a team they should be more than skilled enought to handle any other team of average fighting power.

LWC1996

Learned
Why do we need to see this to the end if we know it's going to be a shit storm?? There are times to see things to the end but this is not that time. Christ, if Jing dies again...I'm gonna kill someone. We did things the gungho way the first time around, let's do it differently with the second chance we get. Get the girl, use her as leverage and get the hell out of Dodge. Haven't we learned our lesson?

Baltika9

Arcane
Because kidnapping the daughter is almost as retarded as this and will also lead to a "WTF Jing? What's your problem?"

LWC1996

Learned
At least we have a leverage that is important to Du Yao. We can use her as our passport out of Yuxia or something. How is this any more retarded than 6 goody two shoes trying to subjugate a city that has tens of thousands of not hundreds of thousands. I say use the girl.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually, forget it. We already are on the 'wanted' list, things can't get much worse with the secret police.
In the end, it really doesn't matter how many times you piss them off, one is enough.

So I'll flop to DB.

Still, the idea of "10,000 Dread Spirits of Maniac Island" is so beautiful it brings tears to the eyes. :cry: I want to see it happen so badly!

Esquilax

Arcane
Why do we need to see this to the end if we know it's going to be a shit storm?? There are times to see things to the end but this is not that time. Christ, if Jing dies again...I'm gonna kill someone. We did things the gungho way the first time around, let's do it differently with the second chance we get. Get the girl, use her as leverage and get the hell out of Dodge. Haven't we learned our lesson?

Because Du Yao knows us and knows what we are and are not willing to do. He gave us this particular task in part because he figured we were strong enough to take on the chief (which he's wrong about, because we're injured) and because it was "nothing we haven't done before". He knows that a guy like Xu Jing wouldn't have a problem killing a pugilist or an Imperial agent (anybody who's a combatant or part of the jianghu) but kidnapping someone without the intent of killing them against a guy who knows that we're bluffing is a bad idea.

The other part problematic part of it is that our companions would absolutely hate it. If they think that Jing is crazy enough to actually kill her, they just might return Du Yao's daughter back to him. We would have five extremely displeased pugilists that are supposed to be on our side, performing a task that they find dishonourable.

So we have a combination of Du Yao knowing that we're bluffing, and the people that are on our side not being sure that we are bluffing. This sounds like a disaster in the making.

With that in mind, we've got the mission that Du Yao provided. That's the only way out. So really, the only option at this point is to start discussing the best way of (a) getting it done and coming out of it in one piece and (b) not getting caught. We've got our work cut out for us.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
[...]kidnapping someone without the intent of killing them against a guy who knows that we're bluffing is a bad idea.

If they think that Jing is crazy enough to actually kill her, they just might return Du Yao's daughter back to him.
That was addressed already. We kidnap her with the intention to kidnap her - that is, force her to travel with us, not to kill her.

It really isn't much different to Du Yao if he won't see her again.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I thought we moved past the 'kidnapping absolutely requires an intent to off the target if the ransom isn't paid' argument some time ago?

LWC1996

Learned
Sigh... Okay, my vote for D:F still stands, but will flop to D:B, IF D:C wins the vote.

Baltika9

Arcane
At least we have a leverage that is important to Du Yao. We can use her as our passport out of Yuxia or something. How is this any more retarded than 6 goody two shoes trying to subjugate a city that has tens of thousands of not hundreds of thousands. I say use the girl.
Dude, if we need to get out of here, we can just make a run for it as it is, no passports required. That, and the poor thing did nothing to deserve this so good luck convincing the Good Guys to actually follow through with this to the end.

LWC1996

Learned
Dude, if we need to get out of here, we can just make a run for it as it is, no passports required. That, and the poor thing did nothing to deserve this so good luck convincing the Good Guys to actually follow through with this to the end.

Well that depends. How far into the city is Du Yao's home that we can make a run for it without him raising the alarm before we even make it out his front door? You willing to run the gauntlet of townsfolks, bodyguard etc just to get to the main gate? Dun forget we so brilliantly decided too do this instead of getting ourself patched up by Cao'er.

Are we even familiar enough with the city to run out without insurance?

Nevill

Arcane
LWC1996 said:
Well that depends. How far into the city is Du Yao's home that we can make a run for it without him raising the alarm before we even make it out his front door.
We are free until tomorrow night. We can go wherever. We may walk out of the city and go back in, if we so desire.

The dude is taking the risk of us ratting him to the police, he can handle us nearing the city gate.

Baltika9 said:
That, and the poor thing did nothing to deserve this so good luck convincing the Good Guys to actually follow through with this to the end.
Well, we aren't doing anything terrible to her, except putting her in a sack. They'll follow.

LWC1996

Learned
We are free until tomorrow night. We can walk wherever.

The dude is taking the risk of us ratting him to the police, he can handle us nearing the city gate.

And you think he won't set spies on us just to keep an eye on his 'investment'? The whole city is under his command. And I doubt the townfolks will be loyal to a bunch of goody two shoes outsiders.

As our experience with the old bun seller had proven. We are in a city of thieves, brigands etc.

Nevill

Arcane
And you think he won't set spies on us just to keep an eye on his 'investment'? The whole city is under his command. And I doubt the townfolks will be loyal to a bunch of goody two shoes outsiders.

As our experience with the old bun seller had proven. We are in a city of thieves, brigands etc.
Obviously, he will. But they won't do anything.
If he wants to find us later, he will. He has connections in the manor and, supposedly, his position under the Bandit King provides him with agents across the whole country. He is not so desperate as to try and catch us when we haven't even started running yet.

The worst risk for him is if we try and rat him out to the police chief, and we'd have to be inside the city to do that.

LWC1996

Learned
Why do we need to wait for him to get desperate and catch us before we attempt to flee. By then it'll be too late to do anything.

You know what, I have voted, and tried my best to argue my case (not very eloquently), and whatever happens will happen. 'Tis past midnight where I am, and I'm sleepy. So, goodnight and see ya in the morning.

Nevill

Arcane
LWC1996 said:
Why do we need to wait for him to get desperate and catch us before we attempt to flee.
All I'm saying that if we want to make a run for it, we are free to do so. That would be C, I guess.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh man, I really didn't like E as an option, but I never thought it'd be THAT bad. Youch.

E (Yunzi) <3; D-AIII; D-B; C

Assuming treave doesn't go mad from ordering these votes.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
So really, the only option at this point is to start discussing the best way of (a) getting it done and coming out of it in one piece and (b) not getting caught.
I believe that our stealth should take care of (b), should we complete the mission and make a run for it. We know how to hide in the shadows and how to lose pursuit in a city. Though that would require us going in alone.

As for getting it done, I am not sure if we need to go through all of the bodyguards to reach our target, or if we can just make a dash for it. If he is an awerage fighter (which I doubt, for some reason), it could work.

To maximize our chances of success, we might want to use poison. The deadlier, the better, though a paralyzing kind would also help. Du Yao has to have access to that stuff, though he might refuse us on a basis that its use would implicate him somehow.

Using Bai Jiutian... I am still unsure about that. Scruples aside, if the police gets to him (and it will, invariably), will it not put the Wudang crew in danger simply because they were traveling with the two primary suspects at the time of the crime? The police really could not care less if they were actually guilty of anything or not.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
The Frak happened?:what:

Honestly one cant go away a day for things to go FUBAR major scale.:troll:

Still D-B for the win I hope.

Edit: yeah Reroll might be easy way out, but part of me wants to know if we can pull the assasination off AC style.
Also Nevill you have fair points, but that should be discussed if A or B wins.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I didn't think the cost of failure would be that steep or that Jing wouldn't know when to give up. Let's not pay our respects next time.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
DC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom