Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, will we be able to choose our own prison tattoos?

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'm not confirming anything.

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well if we are going to go that far we may as well follow in the footsteps of Liu Bang or Zhu Yuanzhang and just become emperor, kind of a dick move mind you, but if the current dynasty truly has lost the mandate of heaven then there will be no peace without a strong leader.

Or we could tear a page from Water Margin and become the next Song Jiang.

Either way "Jing, political prisoner" could make for a very interesting plotline.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Indeed, it's quite a hook. Alternatively, we could go for a 25-year timeskip in which we play the pugilist son of Guo Fu's widow after Xu Jing's debacle at Youxia City. We shall play the seed of the burliest BRO who ever BRO'd.

^ Top  
  5. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I am still sad that we didn't roll with our E vote and go full 10,000 GHOSTS OF MANIAC ISLAND

Instead we reloaded and look what happened.

(Guess I should've put in a conditional vote for AIII over B if people REALLY wanted to go through with the assassination but oh well herpy derp)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I though that was off the table for this round of voting since both Jing and Guo Fu are currently alive in "our timeline".

I have nothing against a time skip (though I would prefer to continue playing as Jing) but one of the few improvements over taking B instead of E was that only Jing was injured, the brothers, BroFu and even BJ are fine as far as we know (at least that is what I thought).

Edit:

Yeah I really would have liked to see that, just imagine the fake "magical" duel between sorcerer Jing and the conman Du Yao would have hired, it would have been brilliant.

^ Top  
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Fangshi, that was just a joke, I'm still for continuing with what we've got.

I had a terrible feeling about the mission in the first place, which is why I didn't even want to hear Du Yao out. I had a feeling it would be really dangerous and put us in a horrible position.

^ Top  
  8. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Ok, at least I'm not responsible for this fuckup.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What do you mean? This always was a part of the plan.

^ Top  
  10. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Ah, guess I am just a little slow today... still Guo Fu's kid will be an absolute beast when he grows up, with the proper education to increase his mental stats and his natural strength from dear old dad he would make the perfect bodyguard for Jing "the aspiring Emperor/Khan/Shogun" of all Asia...

I am kind of curious if Du Yao kept his end of the bargain and returned the manual and sword to the brothers (given the rep boost maybe their mission succeeded), that would tell us a lot about the sort of man he is since he does not really have a compelling reason to help outside of whatever "moral character" he possesses.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Saaame! That's why I voted A after all!

Perhaps this is my cue to start arguing that this outcome is unfair to A-voters and that we should reroll to that point because everyone else fucked us up :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I would hope that Jing's legacy at least was fulfilling his favour to the orthodox sects, for a final twist to his myth.

And the look on Zhang Jue's face: "my most promising student who beat a hundred pugilists and won tournament then decided to help Bai Jiutian of all people and got killed/maimed/incarcerated?"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Blasphemy! The winning option was C all along.

I wonder what would have happened. Just how tough this Fellow is?

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    He'll kill us for that one. Shit, since we're proceeding with these choices, depending on how long the timeskip is, we might want to look into studying to kill him.

Granted, if we have some time to work with after we get out, say six months, we will still have a solid shot at it. Escaping the Imperial secret Police's prison will definitely give us a massive rep boost, and if the Fire Cult will win the tournament (and in our absence they very well may succeed) then we will get plenty of chances to prove ourselves the best.

^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well it all comes down to how you spin it, clearly we were only helping BJ so that he could provide the maximum amount of challenge to us when we do fight him (weak enemies do no honour to a man), and we only let ourselves get caught to gain a better understanding of physical and spiritual pain to further improve ourselves. We shall descend broken into the darkness of the Emperor's prisons but will rise again into the light reborn as the Batman ManTigerPig.

Show Spoiler

^ Top  
  16. RealDDc Learned

RealDDc
    All this reloading...

I can understand the frustration of some, if they are used to play games that entirely avoid sticky situations. I blame the way modern computer games are designed for this. Systems with permadeath are scarce and unlimited health regeneration, auto save, auto load, retry and undo are only some of the many features to entirely avoid getting trapped in unfortunate, challenging or straight futile events.

But where is the challenge if you can't lose? The challenge to overcome the harsh circumstances? And finally the challenge, if efforts failed, to accept defeat.

Not that it would matter much, but if this here get reload again this really nice game lost my interest.

The foregoing reload is in someway acceptable as the death was not entirely legitimate. We maneuvered Jing into those deep troubles, especially with the attempt to wreck havoc in a city we did not have the slightest clue about what we are messing with. Same with the situations we blindly mess with the secret police, we know nothing about. But the situation that lead to Jings death was unavoidable in some way, if we would have had the opportunity to stop the failing attempt realizing it is going nowhere we would have stopped... or not then we'd deserve what happened. Well we do either way, the game has its rules, but it would at least legitimate a reload halfway.

As for the current situation Jing is now in, it ain't that bad, actually it may be better than any of the other options because now we'll finally learn more about the inner politics, our enemies or friends! For many updates we run around, mess about with some here kill some there and most of the times we do not even know who or what they are.

Reading the past update, the second version, we stumbled into a whole new situation. I even lean my self thus far out of the window and proclaim that this action is going to have welcoming results. I'm looking optimistic towards the next update, without another reload!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You soak in the bathtub, relaxing in the warm water. The terrible things of the past week are now a distant memory. The argument at Wudang. Encountering Man Tiger Pig again. Getting involved in the Man Tiger Pig’s stupid plan to recover the manual. No matter how powerful the Qixing Longyuan swordplay is, you don’t think it is worth the price of suffering Xu Jing’s company. You do not know what happened to them after you left, but you hope it was nothing good.

Cupping some water in your palms, you splash it over your face. Good riddance to bad rubbish, really – he deserves what he gets.

Not even close, my friend.

You stop and look around. You could have sworn you heard someone speak.

You did.

For some horrible reason, it sounds like Xu Jing’s voice.

It’s me.

In your head.

You clutch the side of the bathtub and stare at the water, trying to will this awful hallucination away.

I’m not going anywhere, pal.

Could it be that you had been infected with some demon of stupidity from hanging around with him? You knew you shouldn’t have opened your big, fat, stupid mouth and volunteered to go!

Ahahahahahaha! Regretting it now? I must say, things might not have turned out this way had you been patient and waited for me to return with the manual.

“Where are you!?” you ask, your eyes desperately searching the room. Your robes are hanging a fair distance away, as is your sword. You are entirely exposed and defenseless.

I’m in your head, Bai Jiutian.

“What are you doing in there? Get out. Get out now!”

Actually, I’m dead. I have no idea how I got into your head and why, but I’m a ghost now. Woooooo.

“Ah!?” Your voice slips. He’s dead? He’s haunting you? But why?

Wait a minute, what type of ‘ah’ was that?

“No, it was nothing,” you growl, getting yourself under control. This is just a dream. An absurd dream.

No, it wasn’t nothing. You aren’t fooling me… let’s see… oh, hey, if I do this I can actually see through WHOA!

“W-what?”

You’re a… well, I always thought there was something off about you. Too pretty for a guy. How do you keep those bound up all day? Isn’t it uncomfortable?

You scream. “Get out! Don’t look!”

Oh, it’s not like I can help it… hey, I’m starting to feel your sensations too. We’re melding. Whoa.

“I’ll kill you!”

You burst out of the bathtub. In a single, smooth movement you wrap a large towel around yourself, and with your other hand you draw your sword. But there is nothing to cut.

I’m already dead, Miss Bai. Man, do the Twin Flowers know? They don’t, do they? They would be soooo disappointed if they found out. Ahahahahahahaha!

His hideous, cackling laughter fills your head as it pounds with agony. You sink to the floor. Though you had vowed never to cry, tears begin to drip unbidden from your eyes. The ghost in your head stops laughing.

Ah, wait, I’m sorry. I… ah, I’m never good with tears. Look, just calm down, okay? I don’t mean you any harm. I can’t cause you any harm, even though you have been a source of immense trouble that I wish I could strangle. If I still had hands.

Despite yourself, you smile. Taking a few deep breaths, you calm down. “It is a good thing I never ran my sword through you as I was tempted to so many times, if that is what your death curses me with.”

I have no idea what is going on myself. I don’t want to be in your head either.

“As imbecilic as always.”

Perhaps. Way I see it, I think we’re stuck with each other for a while.

“Then do me a favour and shut up until you disappear for good.”

I might. I might not. Man Tiger Pig does as Man Tiger Pig wants.

“You dishonourable leech! You are in my head!”

Ah, that's right. I’ll be obedient if you do me a favour.

“And what is that? Do you want me to avenge your death or something?” you snort. “That is a no.”

Nothing as crude, no. Strangely, Xu Jing’s voice sounds apologetic, almost regretful. There are a few people that I promised to care for. I can no longer keep that promise. I would like you to help do that in my stead.

“You seem almost human like this. I didn’t think you cared for anything,” you say. There is a mocking chuckle before he continues, though you do not know whether he is laughing at himself or at you.

Of course, I’m not asking you to do it out of your own kind heart. Look, just do me a favour and I’ll not get in the way. I’ll even close my eyes whenever you free those big-

“Alright, alright!” you groan, “I’ll do it! Just... just shut up already! Please.”

Thanks. I know we might not have seen eye to eye in the past, but for now let’s get along.

You can sense a heartfelt, genuine gratitude radiating warmly within you. Strange – you would never have thought scum like him had such a strong call to duty and honour. You sigh. The Fire Cult challenge is not that far away, and yet more distractions have arrived.

What a pain. You’ll have to visit an exorcist the first chance you get...

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Suddenly, you feel a strange compulsion to change your vote. You're not sure if it's a good idea, but that hardly seems to matter...

^ Top  
  19. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    FUCK CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES CAN WE PLAY E BAI JIUTIAN PLEAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEE

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Bai Jiutian is not a girl, just to make it clear before anyone tries to add him to the harem. I just thought it would be slightly more amusing a scenario for E(Bai Jiutian), that's all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Can we add him to the harem regardless? :troll:

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I suppose you could try...

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So you're saying we'll get to play a BJ haunted by Jing?

^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Our heart belongs only to the tsundere with a tender heart known as Zhang Jue. So beefy and strong, yet with such a soft, silky voice... *sigh* :love: :desu:

Show Spoiler
    I wasn't joking. Once we lose the challenge, our heart will literally belong to Zhang, after he rips it from our chest cavity in one swift motion.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Didn't I offer that choice some time back? It didn't seem very popular.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)