Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Not that I recall, no. Not like this.

^ Top  
  2. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    That was before I knew I'd be so aroused.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    PAY ATTENTION, BALTIKA! THAT'S WHY I'VE BEEN VOTING E. BAI JIUTIAN THIS ENTIRE TIME why does nobody ever listen to me *grumblegrumblegrumble*

It WOULD be an intriguing and tragic twist if we continued to try and fulfill Shun's mission, even as a ghost. And hey we might even get magic ghost powers!

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Nah, continuing as Jing is better than playing a BJ hounded by him. I hoped I could stick to my reload vote and blame everyone else for all the things that would go wrong with continuing, but fuck it. The call of the YOLOTIGER is too strong indeed. Flopping to CONTINUE.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well, I would say that firmly kills the reload movement sooo.... update?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Yeah, there'll be lots of pain and suffering with the continue option. Oh well. Grey goo ftw.

^ Top  
  7. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    well this sucks

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    There won't be a proper update for at least 24 hours.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    And after all is said and done, we get to haunt the BDS fortress together with Xiaoqing. Happy Ending!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    That's fair, no sense burning yourself out.

So just to recap how many different imperial factions are we aware of at the moment? Part of me would not be surprised if there were in fact multiple conspiracies trying to undermine the empire/succession at this point.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, if BJ were an actual girl, I would absolutely go for it. As it stands, the douche will just excorcise our spirit and put us in the most torturous pit of hell he can. Fuck that guy.

^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    No take-backsies.

And you should've voted C, like me, bitches..

Man, I'd have done a lot better in this LP if we'd gone with Goat Doctor. My fault I guess? :troll:

^ Top  
  13. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Meh girl-BJT would do that too. But wouldn't it be fun to play the voice in someone else's head?

That's right, Azira. I wanted Goat Doctor too but noooo. Would a Goat Doctor have let himself get into this mess in the first place? Fuck no.

^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    No, a Goat Doctor would have been a sad, sorry, dry-dick motherfucker with no harem. I have no idea what you bros see in that character. Uh-hi-hi-hi-hi!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    But he/she can't. Because...

“I am sorry, Young Master Bai, but I am afraid I cannot help you against this ghost,” says the aged priest with a fearful look on his face.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

“What do you mean?” You force your words out through gritted teeth as you try to shut out the ghostly merriment. “You are the foremost expert on ghost-catching in the imperial capital. If you cannot help me, who can?”

“This… thing that has stuck to you… it’s unnatural. It’s half man, half tiger, half pig, half toad, and half something else. I am afraid only the gods in Heaven can help you. Just do good deeds, and make more offerings, and I am sure the problem will resolve itself.”

“That does not even make any sense!” you explode. Your fuse has been rather short lately, and on more than one occasion Shuixian and Mudan had come to you wondering why you were carrying on a hushed argument all by yourself. “You can’t be… half…” You wave your hands around in frustration, lost for words, before finally giving up. You toss the priest his coin and leave the temple.

You really should listen to the foremost ghost-buster in the country when he talks about half-whatsits, says the half-whatsit in question cheerfully. Anyway, lighten up. Is it one of those times again? You know, when women bleed every month? Honestly, that would actually explain a lot about you-

You flush angrily. "Don't you ever shut up?"

I have nothing else to do at the moment. You don't let me look through your eyes, you don't let me move your body. The inside of your head is boring. Don't you think about anything besides swords? It's like you're compensating for something you don't have... wait...

"I'm not! And that's because you are an irredeemable pervert."

Heh. I am. Not going to bother denying that. Anyway, back to that whole bleeding thing... I actually have a remedy for that.

"Does it involve molesting good ladies of noble birth?" you say wearily.

Oho. You'll be surprised. In fact, it was taught to me by good ladies of noble birth. Now, you see...

Despite your better judgment, you find yourself paying attention to his strangely sensible words...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Dude. Make BJ a girl and this a thing. Please. I beg you.

^ Top  
  17. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I'd be entirely fine with the entire latter half of this LP being E. Bai Jiutian updates. Just so you know, treave.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Playing a voice in someone else's head would actually be very entertaining. Indeed, a CYOA where the Codex voters are divdied into two groups at the beginning, with one group voting on the voice's actions and one group voting on the host...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, how would the assassination have turned out if we had either Guo Fu or the Wu brothers for backup? Alternatively, what would have happened if we brought everybody along?

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No, just make some of the choices the ones that the host would make, and the rest the ones that the ghost half would suggest.
    The division of the voters will happen naturally.

^ Top  
  21. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Three times is right. "Forever" three times is not. First two times I excused myself for the time being. First time, I excused myself because I realized the conversation I was having was leading into drama bullshit, like you're trying to start now, which this thread didn't and doesn't need. I was also pretty clear that I might be coming back. Second time, I excused myself because fuck it, that just seemed too dumb for me. Third time, I left the LP unless we somehow got a quickload back to the B option (wasn't expecting it, but whatever). MC died, redoing the LP became an option, and quick load went on the table. Certainly, if you vote continue, you will do so without my presence in this thread - I do make good on my word - so I guess that's an incentive for you to vote to continue. You're doing it for petty reasons, but go ahead. You can call me butthurt, but you're the one getting your panties in a twist, mate.

And for what it's worth, when I get too annoyed, I find recusing myself is a better option than shitposting. Recusing myself loudly is probably still a shitpost, admittedly.

Nice accusation that I am just pulling a reload out because I can't handle this new result, but lets put this back in perspective, eh? Jing just died. Quickload was on the table along with a bunch of other options. So fuck it, I asked "Is it possible to Quickload back to BDS?" and treave replied "If enough people can get behind it, sure, but I'll go ahead and post the current B result in the meantime." So the B result got pushed live (the result sucks, but hey), and I'm off asking people if they can get behind the idea of a Reload after treave pushes the update.

You say it's "drama" and tragedy that makes a good story, and I disagree. I think the quality of a good story is just good writing, and treave delivers. As for the rest, it's a question of what you like or don't like. Personally, I like drama and tragedy; I just don't view them as necessities, and when there's an avoidable stupidity, I'm a fan of "avoiding is better."

The reason behind there's so much appeal to a quickload is because the character and plot have gotten away from what people liked and the reload is a good way to get 'em back on track. The only reason to keep going with the current B vote is because people feel "committed" now that treave pushed the update live, and for the record, again, I asked about the quickload before this update even happened. It's still an option.

Man, you don't get to talk about the butthurt brigade when your entire post is you screaming about how you can't conceal your disgust and shit. Sheesh.

^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    There is actually a P&P rpg based on that very premise (Better Angels). It is set in a world of superheroes/villains but the heroes and villains get their powers from angels/demons that "ride" in their minds. Each player gets to play as their character and as the devil in the mind of the player next to them, so you try to protect your character while damning your teammates. It can be a lot of fun with a veteran group though it can also be a pain in the ass to run as you can imagine.

IT could make for a very cool CYOA

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Guo Fu gets netted. The Wu brothers get poisoned. Bai Jiutian should be able to pull all of you out of the fire, but you guys will really owe her him. Oh, and they all learn your secret, and Gao Ying will gladly expose that you have attacked Imperial representatives and not criminals as you said. Expect the Wu brothers to be unhappy about your lies. Bai Jiutian didn't expect any truth from you in the first place, so the impression can't get much more negative.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    There's another RPG, less P&P and more of a party game, called Everyone Is John. The GM plays John and the other players are the various voices in John's head who have obsessions which they try to make John fulfill for points. The player with the most points at the end wins. It's simple, reasonably quick, and can be rather entertaining.

^ Top  
  25. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    would option C actually work or were we at a dead end?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)