Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
But if he isn't dead...then how are we reloading to get out of his death?
:whatisthisidon'teven:

MystiKnight

Educated
Absinthe, plz. At some point you did change your mind to 'Jing is Dead', but I'm damn sure he's alive.

Just completely and utter fucked, but alive.
No, I never changed my mind on that. Certainly in the solo assassin update, Jing is alive. My only point is that we are still choosing the reload we want out of Jing's death.

Hold up, hold up. I'm a bit slow, so have mercy on my weak mind. You're trying to choose the reload out of Jing's death.. while he's alive?
B-But you can't reload out of death while you're alive!

Baltika9

Arcane
Cut out treave's brain and hook it up to a quantum computer-powered mecha. And then program him to write LPs 24/7.

Absinthe

Arcane
But if he isn't dead...then how are we reloading to get out of his death?
:whatisthisidon'teven:
Hold up, hold up. I'm a bit slow, so have mercy on my weak mind. You're trying to choose the reload out of Jing's death.. while he's alive?
B-But you can't reload out of death while you're alive!
Well, we're in a funny place. I asked for the reload to Black Dragon Society before this DB update got posted. Treave said he is leaving the choice up to get more votes while he posts a DB update in the meantime. So, in its own funny way, apparently we can?

Baltika9

Arcane
No, that's not really it dude. That's totally off-the-mark hamsterwheel rationalization. The only reason it is still open is for those of us that are dissatisfied with the way our current branch is going in and want to get the fuck out of dodge. Jing is alive, which is why it is an option to continue the story. Not like Master Zhang made clones of Xu Jing, the perfect apprentice, to send out into the world when the original fails.
Did he?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, rather than a reload, consider it a rollback. There's a difference for me in the two terms, personally and subjectively speaking, but you guys don't need to concern yourselves with that for now.

MystiKnight

Educated
Ugh. Reloading while alive seems like a pretty anti-fun thing to do, but pulling out my conditional vote also feels like a scumbag thing to do. :conflict:

I'll leave my conditional in for now, but expect me to take my conditional out last-minute with some bullshit about how we gotta keep rolling.

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Not like Master Zhang made clones of Xu Jing, the perfect apprentice, to send out into the world when the original fails.
Did he?

Nah, if he was going to clone anything he would clone himself (nothing else would be a challenge) unless.....

Wait is Jing actually Lord Zhang's younger clone, my god it all makes sense now...

Baltika9

Arcane
Nah, we are his son. And Zhang Jue is the son of Yang Xue, rescued by Fanghzhang and Wang from the Tujue camp during their raid.

Anabanana

Augur
Well, we do have mysterious siblings that we don't know about, so...

We'll have to watch out for a Fake! Man Tiger Pig appearing in the jianghu in the future, I guess.

Absinthe

Arcane
XenomorphII, I was wondering if you'd be willing to weigh in on this CYOA vote: Jing just died because he tried to threaten a town of bandits. Now we have two choices: Either go back and do a successful escape from the Black Dragon Society or redo it to assassinate Taiye Hall (imperial secret agents)'s leader solo. I prefer escaping the Black Dragon Society because it progresses the main quest for once and actually lets us find out what was up with Chanfeng which has been pretty much our only goal since the prologue. The Taiye Hall assassination, on the other hand, succeeds but Jing gets caught, bashed unconscious, is about to be dragged out back, a timeskip is imminent, (this much has been revealed) and Jing is going to have failed almost all his objectives (Chanfeng, meet Cao'er, don't lose the Yuchang Sword, trump the Eight Sects, Fire Temple). He only succeeds at recovering Wudang's prized manual and manuscript. Shun would have to bail him out and Jing would be hated by the Imperial Court (-75) rep for this deed.

Tigranes

Arcane
Absinthe is right about one thing, we already 'reloaded' whatever we choose, because Jing died after the Good Cop stunt. So the only question is whether we now continue after that 1 reload, or we reload a second time to roll back a bit further. Since I wasn't even around for the DB vote, I don't really care about that so much (it clearly should have been A3).

BDS Rollback for now.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
ffs. There is only one reload and we are voting about it at this very instant. Either we reload to a point where we are at BDS, or we reload to point where solo assassination happens. There is no second reload, only a teaser update of failed assassination if we vote to reload back to BDS.

Tigranes

Arcane
We picked E. We died. Treave presented an elaborate set of reload options including setting reboot & new characters & reload to last decision. We chose the latter. How it is not a reload is beyond me.

BDS rollback is still a more extreme case, so you can still argue that it's more cheaty. That doesn't change.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think it really becomes a pointless semantic dispute at this point. Nobody is denying that we either way we will obtain a result stemming from a reload and either way the other result will not have happened.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If I wasn't clear enough, then my vote is this:
Jing made his bed, now he has to lie in it. NO RELOADING/ROLLBACK OF ANY KIND!

Yeah, Jing did something really stupid and is now caught by the eunuch and his cohorts. Also, he lost his sword some while back, and he's missing the Fire Cult challenge. All things point towards ZJ being terribly, terribly disappointed, so I fully expect death by Maniac some time further down the line, unless Jing manages to somehow weasel his way out of it/keep his distance to ZJ.

But seriously. Rollbacks and reloads when things go pearshaped due to stupid decisions? I was OK with it in the Epic LP, as it was part of the storytelling with Senya. Here, not so much.l

No take-backsies.

Absinthe

Arcane
No worries. I already accounted for your vote in the voting tally. I still find the talk of "no take-backsies" to be weird considering this assassination outcome is still a take-back anyhow, but I reckon we're at the stage of "Agree to disagree" on this.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's in line with my "C" vote for how to proceed before the assassination. And it seems I missed the post where it was stated that we're rolling back no matter what? I read treave's last LP update as Jing got captured, as a tentative chapter end. I'd be fine with that.

Absinthe

Arcane
Well, the argument is that this tentative chapter end is itself a take-back from dying. Whether you vote to go with the tentative chapter end or the BDS rollback that is on the table (and has been since before that tentative end has been posted - indeed I believe it is tentative for that reason), you are fundamentally casting your weight behind a decision that is ultimately a take-back/reload. None of the decisions or scenario have been put down yet (as treave said, "no matter which choice wins, there will be some lengthy scenario planning.") anyway, so it should really just boil down to our preference between these two choices. I just think the Black Dragon Society rollback is the better option.

Baltika9

Arcane
Only it's not. We re-voted and chose to solo the thing. This is now canon, the chapter link is even in the index.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
That C is rolling back, since before that E won and Jing died. The other options is just rolling back farther and disregarding the update where Jing got captured since vote to roll back farther was still going on when the update was posted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom