Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    Treave already said that the steelsilk was our last opportunity to train our kung fu before the tournament, though it may be possible that we'll pick up a few new skills or tricks as we improvise our way out of these tunnels.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Can't we train with a nice prisoner? I bet he can tell us a lot about neiggong.

^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    More Zhang Jue adventures! :love:

Now, on to the choice:

This guy clearly has sharp perceptions through his hearing, like Yoriwaka and to a much lesser extent, Jing. treave, we know that Cao'er has very sharp eyes, but is her hearing on par with her eyesight? Can Jing's Reikan ability allow him to hear as well as she does? Also, does the Kagemi technique allow us to walk with softer footsteps? We're going to be in complete darkness down there, and Cao'er doesn't have the ability to stay quiet as well as Jing does. Having her around might be worse because the madman would be able to track us easier.

^ Top  
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Well, that went well. Sure, not perfect, but I'm pretty sure if we chose the palanquin we wouldn't have waltzed out with nothing untoward happening at all.

Now, the questions are:
    1) Can we make it without dying / being crippled?
    2) Will Gao Ying kill the Emperor in our absence? Can we prevent that?
    3) Will Gao Ying do harm to Cao and/or Qilin in our absence? Can we prevent that?

I don't think GY is the type to kill Cao'er just because he plans to kill Jing or anything like that, but it makes me think - especially if Qilin seems to have collapsed as well - B might not be so bad, just so we can make it out together (we will probably have to deal with the crazy guy again).

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Duh! We can carry her in our hands! We did that before, she weighs almost nothing.

Why kill her? She is not a threat to Ying, nor is she to Shun.
    Hold her hostage to make us do his bidding? Now, that's more like it.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, Qilin already fell in ahead of us, so we're not alone from the get-go. Both of us are very stealthy and have decent PER scores, and I honestly think that Cao'er needs to stay with old Emps so that he doesn't get killed or die because he's an old man hopped up on drugs and toxins.

^ Top  
  7. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    Some people are arguing that Cao'er needs to stay with the Emperor in case he's about to die, other people are arguing that Cao'er needs to come with us in case Qilin is bleeding out down there where we're about to fall to. Can Jing call out to Qilin to see if she's injured?

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh, it doesn't show because of the hair, but his ears have been cut off and the holes sealed with wax. They didn't seal the nose because then he'd die quickly. :lol:

Cao'er's hearing is quite good, on par with yours using Reikan. Kagemi will help your stealth in all aspects, yes, but whether you are able to sneak around this man is another matter.

Well, if you do, there is no response. She might not have heard you from where you were, or she might not have responded yet, or she might be unconscious, or she might have dropped to a different place, or she could have fled ahead on her own, trusting you to make it out yourself. You do not have time to figure this out.

Oh, and in terms of medicine, you are not as good as Cao'er, but you're not too shabby right now. You can probably treat most injuries.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. XenomorphII Liturgist

XenomorphII
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    He'll be there sooner than he hears an answer.

^ Top  
  11. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    Sometimes I forget what a... delightful thing Chinese torture was. What would this be the standard punishment for?

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Judging by the timeline and the people involved... for being related to the royal family, most likely.

^ Top  
  13. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    I'm going to have to vote A, at least for now. We don't know that Qilin is injured (and we know that she has better qinggong than we do, judging from her performance getting into the Wudu HQ), and if the emperor dies now we did all this work for very little gain.

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Jing has not heard of this torture before, but given that he narrowly escaped being turned into a pig himself back in the day, he is not surprised that the madman is out for Li Ming's blood nor is he overly shocked at the severity of the torture.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Why would the Emperor die now? From Ying's hand? If he intended to kill him, why order his evacuation?
    Or would he die from a lack of medical attention? What kind of medical attention did he receive from his physician? I bet the secret police would know.

^ Top  
  16. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    Ah. I was just wondering if Jing might have any idea what this guy's crimes were (and by extension what he's capable of, who he's likely to go after, and why).

^ Top  
  17. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    Because those were the Crown Prince's orders, and Jing, Cao'er, and Qilin were all around to see they were carried out. I doubt he could take down all three of them. As for why he'd do it now...

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Whether or not they know doesn't matter. Cao'er is a master physician, nothing is too much for her. That's the kind of person we want watching that guy. Zhang Jue's entertainment depends on it.

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Jing, Qilin and Cao'er combined can't force him to follow the orders. What would they do if he just left the Emperor and ran?

Well, here is for why he wouldn't:
    And are you seriously expecting Cao'er to overcome Ying backed up with 10 policemen if he would still have such an inclination?

It isn't a matter of Cao'er's competence. It is a matter of whether they can handle the Emperor without her.

You just want your alone time with Qilin, don't you? :lol:

^ Top  
  20. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    That does help somewhat.

Really the issue here is Cao'er is potentially needed in both places. We have no idea if they can handle the emperor without her (he was at death's door to begin with, and I can't imagine all this stuff going on is good for his health), and we also have no idea if Qilin is critically injured at the bottom of this pit.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, Cao'er and Qilin is our party, and the Emperor is theirs. I propose we go separate ways, starting now.

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Doubtful, she's pretty good with qinggong and has those spiderwebs for spidermanning. If we can plunge down with Cao'er and soften her landing while still staying alive, she's definitely fine.

In all seriousness, I think Cao'er is more needed with the Emperor and police than with us. There is not much she can do against a tortured madman with inhuman neiggong and strength, even being a medic she'd be rather useless in pitch darkness since we don't have any pressure points for a quick fix. And honestly, I think a third person with limited skills in stealth and combat would just slow us down.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    ...She can heal the madman. :lol:

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  25. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    The possibility is mostly based on the fact that she went down first, meaning she may not have seen it coming enough to take care of herself while falling.

I agree with every other point you made, though.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)