Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Which leads me to an interesting idea: maybe B isn't as horrible as we all think it is? If Shagguan has a plan in coming out here, then Jing's trololoing will only throw a wrench into it and fuck everything up, our reputation and standing among the orthodox sects being what it is. All of our choices kinda do suck a bit (even if I still prefer C over the rest of them) so maybe letting him do his thing and biding our time for an opening on Qilin is the best thing for her safety?

Or maybe it's Jing that he is waiting for, since he saw Jing and Qilin together and knows Jing is not likely going to abandon her.

I think the Sword Saint is our best option to free Qilin. If the cult thinks Qilin is worthless, why would they keep her alive and not kill her on the spot? All it takes is a little squeeze. And if they see a pugilist coming to negotiate for her, then they see she is worth something and will hold on for her.

A.

Kipeci

Arcane
I think the Sword Saint is our best option to free Qilin. If the cult thinks Qilin is worthless, why would they keep her alive and not kill her on the spot?

Why kill her for absolutely no reason when that just pisses everyone off? The Fire Cult wants to demonstrate that they can bring law and order to the land, randomly killing people for absolutely no reason is not the way to go about that. Do you think that these guys just eat kittens in their spare time or something?

Baltika9

Arcane
I think the Sword Saint is our best option to free Qilin. If the cult thinks Qilin is worthless, why would they keep her alive and not kill her on the spot? All it takes is a little squeeze. And if they see a pugilist coming to negotiate for her, then they see she is worth something and will hold on for her.
Not quite what I meant. Obviously, the interaction with her just started, they have not yet realized who Qilin is and exactly how worthless to the Sects she is. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a pugilist coming to negotiate for her," we are decidedly not from the Sects' camp and we are not negotiating for their behalf. Shagguan can buy us time for us to get our foot in through the door via the girls we saved and Yunzi, since if the Cult doesn't make any overt hostile moves, I doubt he will allow the Sects do do so, and negotiate something from there. If it means we help them escape for her life, then so be it.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Much discuss again. Only two choices are in the running again. I hope we accomplish some of our goals this time. Im not fond of any of the options. Drawing everyone's attention is what we do best, so A.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's always falling down to Jing showing up with a trollface plastered on in recent times. Fuck, I wish tiger-wrestling had won.

Tigranes

Arcane
Kipeci I'm fine with learning more about the Fire Cult when we can, and thought we should have gone for Yunzi or Guo Fu in the fight, but in this situation "wanna learn more these guys sound cool" is woefully inadequate when facing a group which thinks "hey here's a guy who has always been part of the jianghu and could have met up with us but didn't and now wants us to give up the hostage and this is a very tense situation and we really don't have time for this" etc.

When was the point where Jing became such an attention whore?

The Tournament. Jing's not an attention whore, but MTP is.

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm fine with learning more about the Fire Cult when we can, and thought we should have gone for Yunzi or Guo Fu in the fight, but in this situation "wanna learn more these guys sound cool" is woefully inadequate when facing a group which thinks "hey here's a guy who has always been part of the jianghu and could have met up with us but didn't and now wants us to give up the hostage and this is a very tense situation and we really don't have time for this" etc.

I was explicitly not talking about the situation right now, but I don't see why we couldn't make something come out of it with 7 CHA and 5 Speech. We may have always been a part of the jianghu, but we're the very rare part of it that has been neutral to friendly rather than hostile to the Fire Cult and have just come off of helping some of their members. I think they would be more interested than anyone in knowing whether or not their hostage is going to be useful.

I personally think that reasons like 'Jing needs a drink' are woefully inadequate for going with A when his wife-to-be is in a chokehold when Jing could try to actually do something about it, so it's clear that exchanging what we think is woefully inadequate about the other's choice isn't going to get us anywhere.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
I voted A mostly on the basis that the Sword Saint is way more capable of ending this with minimum bloodshed than Jing is.

kazgar

Arcane
A because both sides suck so going down our own path in the middle makes the least, but the most sense. gotta use that -395 for something.

Sword saint will sort stuff out, or the rest of the leaders will pop up and sort it out, or Zhang will show up and cause chaos, but we're not near the biggest fish in the pond right now.

And going drinking doesn't mean sitting back with litres of wine, may not actually drink anything, its more to do with the attitude and intent. (Bonus points if we do get a drink and Sword Saint makes BJ pour it for us)

Baltika9

Arcane
I have this odd feeling that Shagguan is stalling for Lord Zhang's arrival and once he gets here, both will pull on the biggest trollfaces and settle this the only way that makes sense: declaring another tournament.

Kipeci

Arcane
I voted A mostly on the basis that the Sword Saint is way more capable of ending this with minimum bloodshed than Jing is.
Great, so let him do that while we negotiate for Qilin's release. If he's going to end this and establish a peace, we can grab her back while he works his magic. He doesn't need us lingering around and starting shit with BJ.

kazgar

Arcane
I have this odd feeling that Shagguan is stalling for Lord Zhang's arrival and once he gets here, both will pull on the biggest trollfaces and settle this the only way that makes sense: declaring another tournament.

Saves Qilin, and lets us get into the fighting we missed the first time! Perfect!

Kipeci

Arcane
Saves Qilin, and lets us get into the fighting we missed the first time! Perfect!
Yes, fighting. Now, where does the fighting come from? If the Sword Saint is keeping the peace anyway, where is the attack coming from? It's a brave man that dares to challenge him.

If he's not keeping the peace, then isn't the fighting going to start even if we're drinking with him? If that's the case, we might as well try to save Qilin rather than hope everything is better by the time Jing gets drunk.

edit: Dumb mistake of mine, I thought you were replying to something else.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm fine with learning more about the Fire Cult when we can, and thought we should have gone for Yunzi or Guo Fu in the fight, but in this situation "wanna learn more these guys sound cool" is woefully inadequate when facing a group which thinks "hey here's a guy who has always been part of the jianghu and could have met up with us but didn't and now wants us to give up the hostage and this is a very tense situation and we really don't have time for this" etc.

I was explicitly not talking about the situation right now, but I don't see why we couldn't make something come out of it with 7 CHA and 5 Speech. We may have always been a part of the jianghu, but we're the very rare part of it that has been neutral to friendly rather than hostile to the Fire Cult and have just come off of helping some of their members. I think they would be more interested than anyone in knowing whether or not their hostage is going to be useful.

I personally think that reasons like 'Jing needs a drink' are woefully inadequate for going with A when his wife-to-be is in a chokehold when Jing could try to actually do something about it, so it's clear that exchanging what we think is woefully inadequate about the other's choice isn't going to get us anywhere.

I agree 'we could use a drink' is basically letting treave troll us, but there have been good reasons suggested for A. In the long/medium run, Fire Cult? Sure, I think we should find out more about them, and although we had good reasons in the past we haave ended up neglecting this.

What's the tally?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Baltika9 - C
Anabanana - A
Fangshi - C > A
Zero Credibility - A
ERYFKRAD - C > A
RealDDc - A
Kipeci - C
asxetos - A
Rex Feral - C > A
Ganymede - D
Absinthe - C > A > B
LWC1996 - A
Azira - A
Nevill - A
Elfberserker - A
profreshinal - A
ScubaV - C
XenomorphII - C
Kashmir Slippers - A
GreyViper - A
Lambchop19 - A > C
Tigranes - A
Tribute - A
TOME - A
Grimgravy - A
kazgar - A
Random Word - C
SirArvedeth - A

Current tally:

A - 18
C - 9
D - 1

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane

Except not really, that was meant as a joke. What I really don't get with A is how it helps us save Qilin, like, at all. We're basically going out into the middle of the shitstorm and counting on Shagguan and dumb luck to pull her ass out of the fire, because we won't be able to do a single thing besides trolling in that position. This is a remarkably stupid gamble to make with another person's life, I have absolutely no idea what this "something" that gives A-voters their confidence is.
I agree 'we could use a drink' is basically letting treave troll us, but there have been good reasons suggested for A. In the long/medium run, Fire Cult? Sure, I think we should find out more about them, and although we had good reasons in the past we haave ended up neglecting this.

Furthermore, I don't understand what was the point of saving those girls from getting massacred and then not taking the avenues that choice opened: the Cult now knows/thinks that we are aligned more to them than the sects and will be inclined to trust us more. Considering that they need all the help they can get around here, we can count on them being open to negotiations along the "scratch our back, we scratch yours" line, which is pretty acceptable since it gives us Cult points, Yunzi points and Qilin points.

Last edited:

LWC1996

Learned
I wouldn't be too keen to get too close to someone who might think I've been making moves on his wife-to-be.

Or is it that he's a temple Lord flaming faggot (in Baltika's own words) that we feel safe in approaching him?

Kipeci

Arcane
I agree 'we could use a drink' is basically letting treave troll us, but there have been good reasons suggested for A.

Mind listing them? In the end, everything seems to boil down to 'the orthodox guys will suddenly attack if we vote C' or else 'the fire cult might ask a favor of us if we go for C' rather than any particularly good reason to go drinking. Proponents say something about the Sword Saint handling everything, but don't say why he wouldn't do that if we go for any other option. I'm really confused as to how A got this popular.

I wouldn't be too keen to get too close to someone who might think I've been making moves on his wife-to-be.

They spend all their time together talking about how much they despise one another barring a few moments alone in the ghost mansion that none of her Fire Cult observers were privy to, I think we're pretty clear there.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yes, I would very much love to see a list of what exactly the points for A are and what exactly we're hoping will save Qilin's hide/help us save her hide in that situation, since throwing Jing in the middle of a "peace talk" with the orthodoxes will just further escalate the situation.

The Brazilian Slaughter, Elfberserker, Ganymede, can you guys be persuaded to a C flop, for all the reasons already mentioned many times over?

Kipeci

Arcane
Believe it or not, some of us have been posting stuff for a while. You seem to be overlooking the points, though.
And then we reply to those (though I admit I was focusing more on Nevill than you) and then the points would get dropped. We always come to the same points, with A voters saying that A and A alone will have the Sword Saint bothering to keep the peace as the proponent for the A option and the argument against C being that (for the sillier one) we'll get ourselves immediately killed because Jing's presence will somehow anger the orthodox crew into immediately charging away or (for the more serious one) the Fire Cult might ask for a favor or something in exchange for letting Qilin go.

Do you have any other reasoning for voting A?

kazgar

Arcane
A Mexican standoff is most precisely a confrontation among three opponents armed with guns. The tactics for such a confrontation are substantially different from those for a duel, where the first to shoot has the advantage. In a confrontation among three mutually hostile participants, the first to shoot is at a tactical disadvantage. If opponent A shoots opponent B, then while so occupied, opponent C can shoot A, thus winning the conflict. Since it is the second opponent to shoot that has the advantage, no one wants to go first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom