Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    C is not the diplomacy option. It is just begging without having anything to barter with and hoping that Yunzi will try to convince the Fire Lord to give his only bargaining chip away.
    A is the diplomacy option. Sword diplomacy, if it comes to that.

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Incorrect, actually. Qilin is no bargaining chip, she is is the Wudu Heiress and thus unorthodox and thus beneath dirt in Nie Wuxing's eyes. The Cult just wants one thing: to GTFO and we can bargain with our assistance. We are a rather badass fighter with the rep to back it up and the longer this drags out, the higher the chances of this spilling over, which will be bad. Perhaps eorking with the Cult is just that unpalatable to some, but I think C is our bast chance at saving Qilin and evacuating the Cult, something Shagguan's stance is unclear on.

What makes you think the girls won't speak up for us? They did say they would be "very grateful," and they are with the cult now. Yes, with them and Yunzi speaking for us, the Cult will give us the benefit of the doubt. All we need do from there is let our Speech and CHA do the work, so it is definitely the diplomacy option. Not the simplest or easiest of solutions, but with Qilin's life in the balance, loads better than "lol, drinks and trolling, I sure hope no one does anything stupid in the meanwhile" of A.
    :salute:
    May it find many pants to crawl down in snake heaven.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kashmir Slippers Augur

Kashmir Slippers
  4. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    The way I see it is this:

A: the troll option
    B: the 'do nothing' option (which rarely, if ever, works out well)
    C: the Fire Cult diplomacy option
    D: the YOLOtiger option

I see C as appealing to the Fire Cult's sense of reason. Having a hostage that their enemy doesn't care about doesn't do them any good. If Yunzi and/or the nubile maidens back us up that would help even more. I suspect, though, he may ask for a favor in return for Qilin's release.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    SNAKE?! SNAAAAKE!!

A for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Uh, I can't believe I missed the part where Cao'er said they were attacked first. :oops: It was probably just the case of the cultists spotting two lonely targets who weren't a part of their group that prompted the attack.

Still, where is Yunzi? I find it hard to believe that the symbol of the Fire Cult and one of their best fighters is not around when the battle is about to recommence. From the sound of it, the Cult didn't have time to escape yet, so she should still be here.

Was she overwhelmed and captured by the superior forces due to Vahista not being able to come to her aid in time?

Pleading with the Fire Cult sounds wrong to me. Apart from us saving their maidens, we don't really know each other. We have ignored their invitation from before. If Yunzi were around, how come we didn't notice her, and why doesn't she stop one of her servants? Doesn't she know that Qilin is not a part of the Eight Sects and there is no point in this? And if she is not around, then I don't think we can do it just with the junior members of the Cult backing us. They don't have a strong enough voice to influence such a desicion.

A does look like an 'attention shift' more than a 'lol, troll' option to me. I am sticking to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Are you kidding? What is diplomacy if not attempting to talk to the other side to come to an outcome amenable to both? The Fire Cult is holding onto one of Jing's beloveds in an attempt to hold off the Orthodox sects from attacking, but what they don't realize is that no one on the other side really gives a shit about her. This situation is bad for the both of us, if we use Jing's natural charisma and intelligence to point this out while the girls can back up that Jing isn't a weaselly orthodox pugilist trying to save the hostage, we can make sure that they aren't deluded into thinking that holding a Wudu Cult girl will save them and we can save Qilin.

A is not the diplomatic option. Attempting to stall by sitting down to start drinking and hoping that 'no one does something stupid' in this highly charged situation seem extraordinarily unlikely to work out.

A doesn't do anything to keep the battle from restarting, it's walking over to get drunk with the Sword Saint and hoping for the best. It doesn't do anything to secure Jing's love. I think that betting Qilin's life on the chance that maybe the Sword Saint will somehow assemble everyone from under the cliff and bring this back to one-on-one dueling rather than large scale fighting and that those big Fire Cult dudes will suddenly release their captive for no reason that's been explained to them is a pretty bad idea.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but almost everyone here is on the side of the Orthodox pugilists or else the Fire Cult, since that was kinda the point of the tournament. If she's not on the side of the Fire Cult, it's pretty easy for them to wrongly assume that she's Orthodox without her even doing anything simply because they don't recognize her.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah. :oops: I kind of missed the point here.

How do you stop the orthodoxes from attacking in C, though, and why would not one of the Amesha Spenta then kill Qilin before we are able to explain the situation to them - or after, if he does not believe us? You have to remember there are two sides in this conflict that need to be held back. It is not like we have a lot of time to talk some sense into them.

If the orthodoxes won't attack, Qilin will be safe for a while. Thus we have to switch their attention to us.

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Re: Yunzi.

She's around somewhere in the throng of cultists, but the Temple's Lord is also here. She doesn't outrank him.

^ Top  
  10. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Well, how do you intend them to stop attacking with A? Jing sitting down to drink doesn't seem like it changes all that much about how they'd act. If we're able to explain that Qilin is unorthodox and that the sects don't care about her (which doesn't seem like it'd take that long) then Qilin is free to go as they realize that holding onto her only distracts themselves and gives them false confidence that the other side won't attack.

The way I figure it, we're in a brief lull before the fight continues, it's best to take that time to save Jing's beloved rather than to spend it drinking.

^ Top  
  11. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    Go for a hybrid answer where you call out Fire Cult being pussies and hiding behind a pregnant woman thus making them a child killer if they do execute Qilin. Well that said she might be pregnant or not the others just wont have to know the truth.

^ Top  
  12. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Not sure about that... I've accepted that we probably won't be going off to join or do cool things with the Fire Cult, but I think we can and should manage to be on their friendly side if possible.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I would assume the order to use a hostage came from the Temple Lord, then? Because I don't think Yunzi herself believes this is going to work, and I would aslo assume that she would have voiced her opinion on the matter.

I can barely see the opinion of the maids meaning anything in such a case.

I don't think it matters to them, as the alternative to taking a hostage is an utter annihilation at the hands of the orthodox pugilists (or so the Fire Cult thinks). I don't think they are concerned about their pride anymore.

^ Top  
  14. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    Of course all the masters except the ones we actually like are back.

^ Top  
  15. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Also, I'm sure that Jing drinking in a sensitive situation with his drinking skill of 1 is a good idea.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    The opinions of the maids are to back us up against their initial suspicion that Jing is some orthodox apprentice attempting to wrest back the orthodox lady they've nabbed. That allows the talking to occur in the first place since it gives concrete evidence that Jing is not their enemy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It's safe to assume that Yunzi doesn't have a say in the matter, yes. Any more info would probably be spoilers for the choices, though.

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yunzi could have told them that. Yet they are doing it anyway.

Look, if we start pleading with them, the orthodoxes will have even more reason to attack. If by that time, which I believe will be extremely short, we do not manage to convince their Lord, then Qilin is done for.

If Yunzi does not have a say it, I don't know what we are counting on.

We have an unarmed skill of 7. Do you think that wrestling Qilin free of their grasp would work better?
    The lack of skill is unfortunate, yet I still believe this to be our best shot.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Unlikely, since she's too proud and upright for that. A dude hardened by Muslim genocide, however...
    Our best shot to do what and how? What miracle are we stalling for in A?

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yunzi is too proud and upright to tell the dudes holding a girl hostage that she is not the bargaining chip they are looking for? What?

Stalling for time. If the orthodoxes won't attack the Fire Cult, Qilin survives. If the Saint makes up his mind to intervene, Qilin survives. If we find an opportunity to bring Cao'er close enough to paralyze the guy, Qilin survives. An opportunity will present itself, given enough time.

^ Top  
  21. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Why's that? If I remember correctly, Jing trounced some of the sect masters that made it back alive. If he's ventured to the other side, they have to think that much more about whether or not they should strike. I'm definitely thinking that we'll have a couple minutes to talk it out.

Jing is a powerful talker with good points to back him up, it shouldn't be that difficult to convince him. At any rate, actually doing something to secure Qilin in my book beats out drinking until the fight starts anyway (you haven't told me why it wouldn't, after all) if for no other reason than that you can know for a fact that her family will hear sbout this.

"I tried to talk down the kidnapper" >> "I thought I'd drink until everything got better"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    No, you are not. Jing is not an equal to the masters of the Eight Sects yet. The ones he fought barely reach the level of the Eight Sects' best disciples. Jing has a reputation, but so does Bai Jiutian, and Vahista is down. If it comes to a fight, the orthodoxes still have 3 to 2 advantage. Jing is not going to scare them away, and his declaration will only serve to infuriate them further.

The only one they will be afraid of is the Sword Saint.

If the kidnapper can be talked down. If not, you best hope is to take him down instead.

^ Top  
  23. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Ugh. Told you guys that he'd intercept us. And he probably wouldn't have used that cheap trick had we not pulled a cheap trick of our own, so the blame for our defeat, tarnished rep, and the death our snake (and possibly Qilin) lies on Baltika9's shoulders. We have a flash bomb for our trouble, so not a total loss, but things could have gone so much better.

We aren't good at negotiation and we just got our asses kicked AND they are very gaurded, so I doubt a straight fight would do anything other than get Qilin killed. We ARE, however, good at trolling and distraction, so that is what I vote we do: A>C

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Except that it most definitely might not. Shagguan's position and movies are a complete unknown, we have no idea if they align with ours and we really have no idea of his angle in this situation. All I know is that, had he wanted to help the Fire Cult to escape and get Qilin to safety, he would have given them an opportunity to do so already. And another thing: Jing's appearance and trolololo is the absolutely last thing we want if we are to prevent more violence out there.

On the other hand, the whole case for C rests on this: the girls and Yunzi are there to get us in and vouch for us that we are definitely unorthodox and no friends to their enemies, the sects. One that trust has been established, from mutual enemies and aiding his people, it will be rather simple to point out that "hey, this girl is the heiress of the Wudu, those guys you did business with, and the orthodoxes really don't give a shit about her." He will most certainly ask for something in return, I expect him to ask for assistance in their retreat, But, hey, that just gets us closer to them and Qilin's ass into safety, so I'm all for it.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    He didn't. We brought one of the Taishan disciples down, and the rest have scattered. In that regard, it was a success.

He wouldn't. However, it is good that we know of their trick now. Oh, and in the battle of dirty tricks. he was still defeated. He is the one lying on the ground while we are standing.

Qilin got captured because we were separated with her (and not gone with the Operation: Maiden Capture). I see absolutely no relation between her capture and the previous choice. She would still get caught while we were busy fighting Taishan disciples.

So you are dramatizing for the sake of dramatizing.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)