Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
On the subject of us being essentially married to the Wudu heir, what are the Wudu Cult going to think of this whole "we're the Fire Lord" business?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, you guys are talking about killing him before now, right? That was the impression I got.

Esquilax

Arcane
She will understand, but the casual ease with which you take their lives would still disturb her.

Can we arrange for a single tear to roll down our cheek as we rip Zhang Manxing's still-beating heart from his chest? I think that would show Song Lingshu that we feel really sorry about using our awesome killing techniques. :M

Honestly, I would expect him to have another trap waiting for us. For a moment there, I thought it would make sense if he followed manxing. I do not think he would leave Lingshu with him alone, should zhang win the fight. His creepy attitude aside, if he forced her into the marriage and took control over Qingcheng, I doubt it would satisfy Bai. Similarly, if we kill him, he can take horrified Lingshu from us and unleash the pursuit. I just do not think that if we kill zhang it would be the end of it.

Furthermore, if we use our skill, I feel like it would reveal our secret to our enemies. If Bai is around, he would understand. Hell, if manxing lives, even if he does not understand what happened, he would be able to recognize Huashan (or other) techniques that no school ever could have taught us but we were able to use anyway. Everyone in the know who hears that will catch up on it.

I don't know if this is a secret worth keeping, though. Sooner or later it will be revealed anyway.

I'd rather we keep this secret for now. Only use the technique either if we don't intend to leave any witnesses, or we're in serious danger. Manxing and his thugs are no danger to us and Song Lingshu, who is a pretty good fighter in her own right. We hold off on it for now, and turn the tables on Bai Jiutian by using his pawn against him. Using the Wuxian Qiangkun Skill right now means that Manxing might describe how the fight went down, which will give a smart guy like BJ all the clues to our secret. I'd rather we leave our trump card as a secret for when we fight Bai Jiutian himself. Think of the long-term and all that.

Also, I don't think that anyone else is pursuing us. BJ told Zhang Manxing and only him.

The smart play here would be C. We don't stand to gain anything at all by staying here. If we kill him, we might lose Lingshu - and I'd rather not have her returned to Qingcheng, which might happen without us, and we play BJ's game. If we don't, we risk either our life, or our secret - which, essentially, puts our life at risk. We already know we are a far better fighter whan zhang, why would we fight him again if not to kill him.

Well, Jing isn't much of a schemer, but I'd hold off on killing him because he seems to be useful in pissing off Bai Jiutian. I don't think C is very smart, though - Manxing will just say that he was totally kicking Man Tiger Pig's ass until he ran off with Song Lingshu. BUT HE'LL TOTALLY GET US NEXT TIME!!!

Tribute

Arbiter
Can we arrange for a single tear to roll down our cheek as we rip Zhang Manxing's still-beating heart from his chest? I think that would show Song Lingshu that we feel really sorry about using our awesome killing techniques. :M
Just want to let you know that this made me laugh my ass off.

Thank god I'm not in public right now.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Esquilax said:
Well, Jing isn't much of a schemer, but I'd hold off on killing him because he seems to be useful in pissing off Bai Jiutian. I don't think C is very smart, though - Manxing will just say that he was totally kicking Man Tiger Pig's ass until he ran off with Song Lingshu. BUT HE'LL TOTALLY GET US NEXT TIME!!!
He'll say it with B2, too, you know? :lol:

Esquilax said:
Also, I don't think that anyone else is pursuing us. BJ told Zhang Manxing and only him.
Which limits the number of potential pursuers to manxing and BJ. ;)

I half-expect Bai to be around when the fight starts. If anything, it would be to evaluate us after we were absent for two years. Or, if manxing manages to win, to take care of him and Lingshu.

The guy seems to have killing us high on his list of objectives for some reason.

If we are followed at all, it would be by the man himself.
I'm getting the same impression. And I also think that if we tell the asshole what is really going on but leave him alive BJ would sanitise the situation and blame the whole thing on us anyway. But at least miss Song will not see us kill that way.

Kipeci

Arcane
Killing zhang helps out the both of us, we need to mantain what secrecy we have about this at all costs or ekse voting B before was just a waste. Leaving him alive just to spite Bai is counterproductive to our own goals.

Tribute

Arbiter
Manxing will just say that he was totally kicking Man Tiger Pig's ass until he ran off with Song Lingshu. BUT HE'LL TOTALLY GET US NEXT TIME!!!
I will now be reading all of Zhang Manxing's lines in the voice of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget. Thanks for that.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
There is no reason to keep the technique secret. No one knows where we got it anyway and they wont have tje balls to ask.

Nevill

Arcane
There is no reason to keep the technique secret. No one knows where we got it anyway and they wont have tje balls to ask.
Uh... the whole jianghu is after our techs.
Rest assured, once the word gets out, we will be hunted. And there are ways to make us talk without coming straight after us.

Our girls, Yao and Miecao, Yu, Guo Fu, and every person connected to us in any way would be in danger. You underestimate the meaning of these manuals. Remember what the Abbess said:

“I just want you to assure me that you will keep my granddaughters safe,” replies Miecao testily. “I fear that in the coming storm, even those who are unwilling will be swept up in it. We do not have much friends left alive in the pugilistic world. In that case…”

We can protect ourselves, but we can't be there for everyone. And that can be used against us.

Tigranes

Arcane
Guys guys guys guys

A isnt about songs mushy feelings, its about having a murder on her name when she returns.

Even if many will say it is in songs rights to refuse the wedding or sympathise with running, its a different matter if she kills a prominent pugilist in order to do so. (And don't give me shit about "but she didn't do it it was Xu Jing", it's not like there are eyewitnesses at the moment and it won't change much in terms of public opinion.) If her plan is to make herself a shining light of the jianghu and use that to gain respect, this can be foreshortened if Mao Sanjiao uses the brutal murder to create sufficient doubt to then take control of the sect in the meantime (i.e. look, she shuns her responsibility, she runs out on things, she's too young, and now, i'm sure it was a mistake, but she's killed a pugilist.) That is the real problem with A.

Of course, B and C are hardly better, because for one thing, it will be known that Man Tiger Pig was behind Song's departure. And thanks to the will, it will be clear that it was not a kidnapping (though some might think she was forced to write it.) The association with MTP won't be great for her reputation. But, at least, it's better than the above scenario.

Finally, I think B1 is out in the sense that even if Zhang won't spill the beans about MTP's technique, BJ or somebody else may also be coming, or something. I doubt we have something absolutely critical to learn from Zhang.

B2 > C for now.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Uh... the whole jianghu is after our techs.
Rest assured, once the word gets out, we will be hunted. And there are ways to make us talk without coming straight after us.

Our girls, Yao and Miecao, Yu, Guo Fu, and every person connected to us would be in danger. You underestimate the meaning of these manuals. Remember what the Abbess said:

We can protect ourselves, but we can't be there for everyone. And that can be used against us.
Then everyone should stop to act like a pussy and lets kill this guy. We need to train on SOMETHING...

Esquilax

Arcane
He'll say it with B2, too, you know? :lol:

How will he do that if a bunch of people from Qingcheng find him and his buddies unconscious? You can't make up a story if you look like you've gotten your ass kicked really badly.

I half-expect Bai to be around when the fight starts. If anything, it would be to evaluate us after we were absent for two years. Or, if manxing manages to win, to take care of him and Lingshu.

The guy seems to have killing us high on his list of objectives for some reason.

If we are followed at all, it would be by the man himself.

Yeah, I don't think that BJ is hiding in the bushes waiting for us. He sent Manxing as a lamb to the slaughter, he's probably back at Qingcheng trying to make this situation work in favour of Huashan. He's not going to go after the bride, because there is nothing in it for him - he doesn't want Song Lingshu to marry the old man in the first place.

Tribute

Arbiter
Yeah, if we're interested in having Song go full Shining Martial Hero we probably shouldn't kill this guy.

We just need to make sure she doesn't end up like BJ.

Tigranes

Arcane
One option for A, of course, is to kill them all and then hide their corpses very well, since Zhang will have told nobody but BJ that he is leaving somewhere.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C>B2>A1 - Bai is on his way.

Looks like our trusted friend BJ has betrayed us. Gosh. Who ever would have predicted that?

Here's his plan: either he'll:
A. Show up and decry our deplorable actions in killing Zhang or...
B. help in the fight against him heroically.

His goal is to have Song join HIM instead of us.

A1 - He needs to die.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esquilax

Arcane
Even if many will say it is in songs rights to refuse the wedding or sympathise with running, its a different matter if she kills a prominent pugilist in order to do so. (And don't give me shit about "but she didn't do it it was Xu Jing", it's not like there are eyewitnesses at the moment and it won't change much in terms of public opinion.) If her plan is to make herself a shining light of the jianghu and use that to gain respect, this can be foreshortened if Mao Sanjiao uses the brutal murder to create sufficient doubt to then take control of the sect in the meantime (i.e. look, she shuns her responsibility, she runs out on things, she's too young, and now, i'm sure it was a mistake, but she's killed a pugilist.) That is the real problem with A.

Great observations. We can never mend our reputation because we have five years of hardcore unorthodoxy to overcome, but we can't afford to let our only ally who might be in a position of influence among the Eight Sects get a tainted reputation. Mao will spin the situation in A1 to his benefit.

Of course, B and C are hardly better, because for one thing, it will be known that Man Tiger Pig was behind Song's departure. And thanks to the will, it will be clear that it was not a kidnapping (though some might think she was forced to write it.) The association with MTP won't be great for her reputation. But, at least, it's better than the above scenario.

Finally, I think B1 is out in the sense that even if Zhang won't spill the beans about MTP's technique, BJ or somebody else may also be coming, or something. I doubt we have something absolutely critical to learn from Zhang.

To be fair, we have no idea what the letter itself says:

You are unsure what she wrote in the letter, however – the headstrong Song Lingshu had insisted that she pen it herself. All you know is that it contains a denunciation of Mao Sanjiao’s policies.

I don't think that Song Lingshu involved us in the matter, though we aren't sure yet. She could easily have denounced Mao Sanjiao's policies without mentioning us in the letter as well. As for revealing the technique, I don't think that BJ is waiting for us in the bushes or anything like that - I think that he is probably back at Qingcheng and just wanted a convenient way to get Zhang Manxing killed without getting his hands dirty. On the other hand, if Zhang survives and describes the incident to BJ later, the latter might put two and two together and realize why we were able to use all of Manxing's techniques.

C>B - Bai is on his way.
His goal is to have Song join HIM instead of us.

Pretty good theory. Song marries BJ instead of Mao. BJ is able to do it because he looks like a hero for "saving" her from us, so it doesn't look like he's taking another man's wife.

Tigranes

Arcane
What I mean Esquilax is that the letter will make it less likely for people to think, oh poor Song, she has been kidnapped by the evil MTP. But then, her actions in the future will make clear anyway that she fully intended to leave. So no matter what, voluntary departure + a dead pugilist is not a great combination.

OK, look:
If A, we have to kill them all and hide the bodies as thoroughly as possible. Zhang Manxing's disappearance must be ambiguous, not a certain case of our murder.
If B, we cannot use our secret tech. Even if Zhang is unlikely to talk much about being thrashed by MTP, he could argue that he would have won if not for MTP's cowardly strange cheat tech.
If C, we have to be prepared for Zhang to boast to the world about finding Song eloping with MTP and him vanquishing them, and how Song doesn't appear quite so pristine now, does she.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
How will he do that if a bunch of people from Qingcheng find him and his buddies unconscious? You can't make up a story if you look like you've gotten your ass kicked really badly.
I know treave said he will get rescued, but he didn't tell anyone where he was heading.
I kind of thought it would be more likely if he would regain consciousness on his own. Anyway, I don't care what the man would say. Boosting his reputation up while he is a no good fighter would probably piss BJ even more.

Esquilax said:
Yeah, I don't think that BJ is hiding in the bushes waiting for us. He sent Manxing as a lamb to the slaughter, he's probably back at Qingcheng trying to make this situation work in favour of Huashan. He's not going to go after the bride, because there is nothing in it for him - he doesn't want Song Lingshu to marry the old man in the first place.
I do, though. He may not need the bride, but he definitely does not want manxing to marry her either - in case he wins.

You think that Bai sent manxing to die, but I think it was a win-win scenario for him. And he does need intel on us if he wants to kill us.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Tigranes Even if Zhang dies, BJ still knows we have her. He could spread rumors as he has just done. We should abandon fears of people finding out in C as we have little control of it anyway.

Nevill

Arcane
Indeed. When we left, we were prepared for the possibility of Bai spinning the story in any direction he wanted.

One option for A, of course, is to kill them all and then hide their corpses very well, since Zhang will have told nobody but BJ that he is leaving somewhere.
If he followed us to make sure what the outcome would be, that would probably prove useless.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If you are certain Bai Jiutian is out to get you and not merely sending you a token of his respect in the form of mutual-thorn-in-the-ass Zhang Manxing, hiding the bodies would actually be useless even if he were not here, because he can control the narrative from within Qingcheng, and he knows he sent Zhang out after you.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm inclined to think that Bai's moral dilemma was genuine, rather than, say, a Dio-like calculated performance when he knew Zhang could overhear. Of course, when Zhang did overhear, his mor emanipulative instincts kicked in.

Did BJ follow us to ensure Zhang will not win then take off with Song? Perhaps. I think it's more likely that if Zhang wins he would want to return triumphantly. I don't think he'd run away with Song. But in any case, BJ might have had second thoughts about sending Zhang, or want to make sure Zhang doesn't take credit / do something stupid.

But you know, it's strange. Does BJ think Zhang could beat us and Song combined? If so, then we should be careful; Zhang might be a douchebag, but maybe he is more skilled than we realise. (Even if BJ sorely underestimates us, he should know Song's general skill level too.) Or, more likely, does BJ think we can trounce Zhang? In that case, why send him to us? So that we can kill an annoying pugilist on his behalf? OK, fine. But more importantly, that seems to suggest that BJ hasn't actually changed his mind about the plan necessarily. That he's not 100% set on having us be apprehended and returned.

Unless he shows up in 5 minutes with Mao Sanjiao or osmething, of course.

I feel like we need to get BJ's motivations and possible actions clearer.

Re. treave's clarification: again, I don't think BJ would then suggest, "hey, Zhang is missing, but you know, I sent him after Song Lingshu..." because it would be immensely suspicious that he didn't go himself.

Nevill

Arcane
If you are certain Bai Jiutian is out to get you and not merely sending you a token of his respect in the form of mutual-thorn-in-the-ass Zhang Manxing[...]
I don't understand the man, so that's why I am hesitant to take presents from him.

He did imply that killing us was an item on his agenda list two years ago. I don't think much changed since then.

Tigranes said:
I'm inclined to think that Bai's moral dilemma was genuine, rather than, say, a Dio-like calculated performance when he knew Zhang could overhear.
I don't believe this for a second.

A person who can hide his private persona so well it doesn't get noticed for years does not make casual mistakes. He would have been found out long ago.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Re. treave's clarification: again, I don't think BJ would then suggest, "hey, Zhang is missing, but you know, I sent him after Song Lingshu..." because it would be immensely suspicious that he didn't go himself.

The story can become 'Zhang saw them leaving, went after them, and told me not to tell anyone. No, I don't know why he said that, poor brave soul. Oh, if I only knew this would happen...', if Zhang goes missing. Implies Zhang may have fallen afoul of them or decided to aid in their escape later on.

But this is assuming Bai is out to get you, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom