Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Rex Feral

Prophet
So what you're telling me is they're going to go sightseeing and leave a completely accidental swathe of terror and destruction across China?
Glorious isn't it?

What happens if we go confront zhang Manxing together?

We'd end up accidentally killing each other. Right at the very moment when both of us are about to deliver the killing strike.

Tribute

Arbiter

Tribute

Arbiter
Our bad luck and his good luck collide and annihilate each other, leaving all three of us with Luck 5.

Up in heaven, Nu Wa shakes her fist in indignation.

Baltika9

Arcane
Level 1: mimic lower level internal energy
Level 2: mimic same level internal energy
Level 3: mimic higher level internal energy
Level 4: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize lower level internal energy instantly
Level 5: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize same level internal energy instantly

Level 6: ???
Level 7: PROFIT!!!
treave, say we encounter Pang Xiaohu again and instantly memorize his axe style, but what about the Axe skill itself? Would we get a bonus to that as well, or would it be "0 Axe+powerful axe technique?"

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, say we encounter Pang Xiaohu again and instantly memorize his axe style, but what about the Axe skill itself? Would we get a bonus to that as well, or would it be "0 Axe+powerful axe technique?"

Whenever you execute that particular technique, you'll be doing it at the same skill that Pang Xiaohu has, but as for skill in general, it will bring you to about half the skill points he has in axe as you retroactively work out some of the basic principles of axemanship from the technique you have memorized. For example, he has 8 skill, you will get 4 in axe, but when you use his technique you'll perform it like a master despite your 4 skill. If you do not use his technique while swinging an axe around, you'll be treated as the mediocre axeman that you are.

If you already have sufficient understanding of the weapon skill, it won't work. For example, if you already have 5 skill in axes, Wuxiang Qiankun won't add anything to your skill level.

Absinthe

Arcane
I guess higher ranks could go like this:

Level 6: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize higher level internal energy instantly
Level 7: memorize higher level internal energy instantly, memorize related unused techniques by lower level internal energy
Level 8: memorize higher level internal energy instantly, memorize related unused techniques by same level internal energy
Level 9: memorize higher level internal energy instantly, memorize related unused techniques by higher level internal energy
Level 10: memorize instantly, devise new techniques and variations instantly.

Level 10 probably sounds more broken than it is, considering if you have a level 10 skill you can basically already do that.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
if only we'd devoted most of that delicious training time to stat boosts instead

But yeah, wow. Maybe we should let other folks hold onto their manuals without pursuing them too much, if for no reason other than that pugilists mad with power off of those broken manuals are going to be about the only guys who could stand up to this skill when we get around to mastering it in the very distant future. Xu Jing is already one of the more absurdly badass pugilists around without even being fully in his prime, this seems like it might be a bit too much power.

Absinthe

Arcane
Nah. To be fair, I had no idea how Wuxiang Qiankun was going to upgrade back then. Level 1 Wuxiang Qiankun at that stage was more of a learning skill than an in-combat booster. My complaints were about its uses as a combat technique. Right now just the piecemeal upgrade to Wuxiang Qiankun has upgraded our qinggong and cap. I'm also wondering if higher levels will start to upgrade our other skill caps.

At any rate, if we ever reach such bullshit levels treave can just put us up against the celestial bureaucracy next if he wants to continue the LP.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
if only we'd devoted most of that delicious training time to stat boosts instead

But yeah, wow. Maybe we should let other folks hold onto their manuals without pursuing them too much, if for no reason other than that pugilists mad with power off of those broken manuals are going to be about the only guys who could stand up to this skill when we get around to mastering it in the very distant future. Xu Jing is already one of the more absurdly badass pugilists around without even being fully in his prime, this seems like it might be a bit too much power.
Nah, that's a bad idea. Jing isn't lusting after this power, but he really needs it for the sake of the Temple if nothing else. We really must get our hands on these manuals, both of them, and really dig into them if we want to stand a chance against the combined might of the Orthodox sects. I'm also thinking of having Yu make copies of the manuals we find and sending them to the Temple so that our Ameshas can start preparing as well. If Xuxian, who was a mediocre fighter two years ago, could boost his neiggong to Zhang Jue's level after reading half of the Yang manual, imagine what levels Rob and Vahista could get to.

Likewise, we also need that powerful Legendary Sword that will be passed down at Taoying Island, lest Nie Wuxing gets his grubby paws on it.

Esquilax

Arcane
Right now just the piecemeal upgrade to Wuxiang Qiankun has upgraded our qinggong and cap. I'm also wondering if higher levels will start to upgrade our other skill caps.

Speaking of qinggong, I noticed this:

27. Focus on qinggong practice by running around the island with the tigers, naked. (Qinggong +2, 6 months, Kuanglang Step now gives +2 to agility and increased ability to shrug off grabs)
You meditate on Wuxiang Qiankun, attempting to advance your knowledge of the technique to a higher level now that you have had practical experience with it in a real fight.
You are able to mimic the techniques of practitioners with a lower level of internal energy when in an orderly state. You are now able to still and harmonize your breathing and your qi to almost unnoticeable levels, improving your control of your qinggong (+1 Sneak, +2 qinggong).

So we pretty much did the equivalent of 6 months of qinggong training back in Maniac Island in the span of some time meditating. Fucking amazing. However, our huge boost here was in large part a result of using the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill in actual combat against Zhang Manxing, which made meditation a lot more fruitful. If we don't use it while in Youxia City (considering how dangerous the place is and how there are eyes everywhere, we shouldn't unless it's an emergency), then maybe we won't get the same results through meditation the second time. It seems like the sort of thing that you need to field test a bit beforehand to really get the most out of it via meditation.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hmm, I wonder. If we do Commissioner Gordon Chief Jiang Zheng a solid here and don't act the asshole, maybe he could do us a favor in return and look into that whole "poisoning of Wang Zhengchong" thing? Seems right up the Constabulary's alley:
That was sufficient: the Imperial Constables did not need heavy manpower – instead of being a police force concerned with keeping public order, they acted more as detectives and wandering agents of the law, given power to travel the land and investigate serious crimes regardless of rank or status. They were also tasked with special missions for the Emperor whenever men and women of their skills were required.

Absinthe

Arcane
Nah, that's a bad idea. Jing isn't lusting after this power, but he really needs it for the sake of the Temple if nothing else. We really must get our hands on these manuals, both of them, and really dig into them if we want to stand a chance against the combined might of the Orthodox sects. I'm also thinking of having Yu make copies of the manuals we find and sending them to the Temple so that our Ameshas can start preparing as well. If Xuxian, who was a mediocre fighter two years ago, could boost his neiggong to Zhang Jue's level after reading half of the Yang manual, imagine what levels Rob and Vahista could get to.
We really shouldn't do that. If Jing (and maybe his buddies) pick up super techniques, that's cool, but if we make the fire temple into that degree of superpower, we're going to have some serious fucking problems as everyone around us basically wants to get us under control. It just seems like the situation is going to spiral out of control if we do that.

Likewise, we also need that powerful Legendary Sword that will be passed down at Taoying Island, lest Nie Wuxing gets his grubby paws on it.
We don't exactly have 10 charisma for that. I think we should just vote for the Sword Saint Shangguan Chuji as the new leader, but whoever is organizing the conference probably has his own ideas in addition to Nie Wuxing trying his own power grab. This is going to be a massive problem.

Baltika9

Arcane
We really shouldn't do that. If Jing (and maybe his buddies) pick up super techniques, that's cool, but if we make the fire temple into that degree of superpower, we're going to have some serious fucking problems as everyone around us basically wants to get us under control. It just seems like the situation is going to spiral out of control if we do that.
I dunno man, I'd rather win the war that they'll bring to our doorstep and then worry about diplomacy, rather than lose most of our followers in a bloody battle that could have been made easier. I.e, be the Russia to their NATO. They might not like us or want us around, but they'll have to treat us as a power to be reckoned with.

Absinthe

Arcane
See, I want to avoid that degree of bullshit violence.

As the new leader of the Fire Temple, we should try to see if we can solve our problems with a minimum of violence, not risk all sorts of batshit insane escalations.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hey, I do too. But between the hate for the Fire Cult and the hate for Xu Jing, imagine how much the Sects will flip their shit once they find out that:
1) Xu Jing is the leader of the Fire Cult and
2) They have the Wuxiang Qiankun in their fortress.
Like it or not (I sure as hell don't!), I think that an assault on our Temple is pretty much unavoidable so the best we can do right now is prepare for it as best as we can. If we manage to win over some sects so they at lest stay out of it, like the Wudang or Emei, then fucking awesome! But I'd rather we hope fore the best and prepare for the worst. Considering the situation we're in, that's the smartest thing we can do.

Kipeci

Arcane
Hmm, I wonder. If we do Commissioner Gordon Chief Jiang Zheng a solid here and don't act the asshole, maybe he could do us a favor in return and look into that whole "poisoning of Wang Zhengchong" thing? Seems right up the Constabulary's alley:

Do we have any evidence to actually provide them about this, though? Evidence that won't get people into trouble/be useless? I just don't see why you have such a hard-on over something that'd take so much effort and risk for so very little reward.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Eh, if you want to do that, it'd actually be a better idea to help the Commissioner take down the corrupt and influential Zhang Family, plus you also hit Nie Wuxing's political connections that way.

Baltika9

Arcane
Eh, if you want to do that, it'd actually be a better idea to help the Commissioner take down the corrupt and influential Zhang Family, plus you also hit Nie Wuxing's political connections that way.
I'm down, where do I sign up?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom