Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It was their intention, but they're more convinced that that's the best way to go right now instead of throwing in with one side or the other. As for what convinced them, you did. They're afraid of you and your crazy arm-ripping moves and the scary women in your harem. They figure since you didn't bother them before this, you won't bother them in the future if they keep on the same path.

He's not exactly complaining, just pointing out that you have a knack for blowing things up in the most dramatic way possible, like pissing in Grand Eunuchs' bowls. You tend to get yourself into public displays that sometimes Jiang would rather avoid (though he acknowledges it can be useful other times) if he's conducting a particularly sensitive investigation (involving, say, Grand Eunuchs) - if he wasn't sure about that before this, he's pretty sure about it now. It's just a minor character flaw.

If you were playing, say, the Snake Adjutant, you'd have understood the imperial power play going on and had different options available to you from the start of the event.

Then again if you were the Snake Adjutant you wouldn't have had the chance to pull off the Brown Wedding.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And we missed out on our one benefit. Why? Why why why why...
    :negative:
    Why?

I hope A will have an option to smmoch BJ, Bugs Bunny style.

^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Same reason you missed on Yunzi's help in the investigation. RESPONSIBILITIGERS suck.

Better get voting for it, then.

Smooching Guo Fo just wouldn't feel the same.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B-but he's so big and masculine!

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    treave, I am still fuzzy on how neigong and/or qi work. Suppose there is a technique like Hanbing Needles. Does it require an 'icy qi' or a certain type of neigong to utilize it, or does it simply make the user's qi manifest in that way?

Can Yunzi with her fiery neigong learn the technique? I'd assume not. Can Jing? Without copying, of course.

I am still baffled by the fact that Fu Xia knew the tech that is usually unique to Xueguizi. If it does require certain specialization and type of neigong to use, how come he was able to learn it? I doubt he was involved with Tianshan prior to this.

He was able to transcend the limits of his body when Qilin's drug interacted with whatever it was that affected him, so maybe it is related somehow.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It requires attaining the ice qi first, and then the technique itself teaches you how to control and manipulate that qi to make needles. Just learning the technique itself is useless because you don't have the foundation, so you can expect that Fu Xia had somehow been imparted the neigong and the needle technique.

^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Regardless, it has certain parties noting that Jing's semi-wife has a very interesting chemical here even if it's not yet refined, yes?

^ Top  
  8. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
  9. LWC1996 Learned

LWC1996
    AA.

'Tis the third time treave has offered the choice to go to Huashan, it's probably a warning and our last chance. Not gonna ignore it.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    More of a Wudu gonna Wudu reaction.

Virtually no one else out there would have the expertise and knowledge to complete the drug. If they want to use it, they'll try to hire a Wudu cultist unless they fancy themselves powerful enough to attempt attacking the sect and taking over.

^ Top  
  11. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
  12. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
  13. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Gonna flop to 1B for now, if only because I don't like passing up chances to go to Wudang.

^ Top  
  14. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Treave, just wondering but how strong is our Minamoto-ryuu Sword Style? I mean compared to Emei/Qingcheng/Huashan/Yandi. And how much of a difference does Order mode make when using it? Leaf Dance of the Azure Dragon seems like it would benefit from the increased precision (no more chaotic movements) and perception while we still can't leech through our sword.

And would there be any point to using it with the Yuchang Sword or is that simply a subpar type of weapon for our kenjutsu?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    ^ Top  
  15. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I meant more in the sense of noting that the Wudu Cult has an ever expanding list of very interesting chemicals that seem rather useful. I guess I'm asking if this incident does more to help or hurt the Wudu brand? On the one hand it was kind of a fiasco, on the other hand the guy did end up revealing what happened rather faster than torturing him would have taken and the stuff can be refined later.

Absinthe as I understand it the Yuchang Sword is too short to be optimal for the Japanese sword style except for the role it plays as another blade to be put in action. I don't know about the perception stuff but unless we're trying to aim for specific weaknesses on a foe that are tough to make out (not sure what that would be, unless maybe looking for areas to puncture Zhang that aren't covered by his vest under his clothes or something... but then again, we could just aim for his head or limbs for that purpose) I don't see why it would provide a significant effect.

^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It wouldn't make the top five best sword techniques, but it's the sort that scales well with the user; in contrast to techniques that make the user powerful (legendary manuals etc), here it is the user that makes the technique powerful, if that makes sense. The moves in the Minamoto-ryuu style are ones that Central Plains pugilists have few counters for, so it's up to the user to make it count. 'Order' mode will help improve the first and second moves, and with the first part of the fourth move.

As for the Yuchang Sword, it would work best as a side-arm to mix up the attacks, using your sleight-of-hand and its shorter length to launch surprise attacks. If you're using it by itself, Leaf Dance and Fiery Flight will work, but the other two styles will be less efficient.

Well, the Wudu Cult already has a reputation for an ever expanding list of very interesting chemicals. It helps the Wudu brand in the sense that people are reminded just why those poison cultists are scary and you just don't know what they'll come up with next, the bastards, I suppose.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Are Wudu people also good at cooking?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    As good as any other random sampling of humanity that aren't gourmet chefs, I suppose?

People Who Can Cook Do Household Chores:
    Xu Jing
    Yifang

People Who Can't Cook Do Household Chores:
    Qilin
    Cao'er
    Song Lingshu
    Yunzi
    Armaiti
    Xuezi
    Lady Suien

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :hmmm:
    Does Jing have the potential to become the greatest chef in China?
    We also need to buy a "kiss the cook" apron while we're in Youxia.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    He's not exactly brilliant at it, but he had to learn how to cook back during his apprenticeship with Yao. Yifang learnt how to cook while at Emei and while taking care of her grandparents.

As for the rest... eh, you can see why.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Because they are empowered new-age womyn in an equal relationship with Jing?

^ Top  
  22. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Why are we even bothering with the Child Elder if she never found the time into her very long lifespan to find out how to make ice-cream out of yak milk?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    We need to find more cooks for the harem, pronto.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Indeed, what those women expect, for the man to actually - outrage - COOK the food?
    This cannot stand!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    I was actually expecting some sort of positive correlation between poisoning and cooking. Oh well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)