Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    treave, I have a question about the mechanics of WQS.

Does WQS copy the neigong of out opponents? Do we lose our own benefits to gain theirs instead? Does the temporary skill increase affect only their techniques, or can it be applied to ours as well? For example, if we watch Yifang perform Qingcheng Stap with swords at 8, can we use our Yuchang Sword technique with the same level of skilll, or are we still limited to 7?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Kipeci, I really don't think Bai Jiutian has 10 perception. You're suggesting BJ's perception is as good as Cao'er's before she learned Reikan. If I had to guess, Bai Jiutian's perception would be 8 or 7. If his perception were as good as you claim, we wouldn't have been able to stealth on him.

As for capitalizing on openings, treave already confirmed we have much stronger moves than the ones we used there though. Since we have such a repertoire of powerful unarmed techniques, I would say that if we get serious, we can probably disrupt his swordsmanship and drag it into an unarmed fight. Heck, Raging Claws of the Mad Lion (our strongest technique) doesn't even really need openings like the rest since the qi swipes carve through the air.

I really don't think Bai Jiutian is that far above us, tbh.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If you want/need it to, yes.

When using techniques that require a particular neigong, yes.

Example: if you copy the ice needles, you'd also copy the Xueguizi neigong at the same time and use it to make the needles.

Limited to the copied techniques for now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    I'm more concerned that Bai Jiutian will interpret it as a lie with a grain of truth in it - then he might consider that the Fire Temple has the Wuxiang Qiankun manual. In that case, B2 would be the worst option.

^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Yes, and? We have a base perception of 4, about on par with a potato. There are plenty of techniques around to boost the stuff, which is why we were able to make up so much of the difference.

The base stats don't matter when you can stack techniques on top. He may not have the same base perception as Cao'er, but he doesn't have to! He can have a number of techniques boosting him on up past there. If one-eyed Jing has just shy of 9 perception, the overwhelming majority of which is from various techniques, I don't see why the guy who's spent much more of his life training has to be limited to what he was given by nature.

He's seen through our stealth before when we were a servant hidden behind a screen, we just happened to catch him off guard when we turned out to be hiding in the very midst of his safe place and home, specifically the bath tub he relaxes in. Everyone has off days, we managed to evade Cao'er's eyes by dodging into an alley when she was explicitly looking out for us back at the time of the Young Tiger's Tournament. He has decent perception, he has strong skills in the sword, according to your earlier logic that's a great way to come up with counters on the fly. So what's your plan for when he devises a counter to the Japanese technique that you're holding up as our hope for victory?

BJ can also send swipes of qi to cut through the air, and he can send them out from the reach of his sword rather than that of merely his arms.

^ Top  
  6. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Average perception is 5. Anyway, if he had perception above 8, we wouldn't've been able to sneak up on him with our 8 stealth. And a neigong that boosts perception is probably a rare thing.

He isn't, but I don't think he can stack the same amount of bonuses we can. Besides, if Cao'er didn't have a perception technique like Reikan, then I suspect perception techniques aren't that common either.

Our stealth was 1 point higher this time.

I don't think that was a serious stealth check.

One counter isn't necessarily instant victory and we still have moves like Raging Claws of the Mad Lion.

"Merely his arms." Uh, in wuxia stories, unarmed cutting qi attacks like ours are much crazier than plain old sword qi. At any rate, I think we could fend him off with our raging claws style (or mix it up with our sword attacks). It's a rank 10 technique for a reason.

That said, I've mentioned this many times before but I think even losing the fight in A2 would be better than any of the other options.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    So, should I close the votes, or do you guys still want some more time to hash it out?

^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Naw, go ahead. They're just comparing penis size now anyway. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Fuck it. Flopping back to a solid D since showing BJ our WQS in battle unnerves me. I have zero grasp on his character and motivations except "power!"

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    And we are tied again, aren't we?

The arguments are certainly not getting anywhere. Haven't seen Tigranes, ScubaV or TOME voting out of the regulars. Maybe they can help resolve this.

inb4 D results in a Leon moment.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Nah. I think D had it with the conditional flops. If you're ready then closer up the votes, the DISCUSS is going on circles anyway.
    Edit: ah, nevermind.

^ Top  
  12. profreshinal Arcane

profreshinal
    changing my vote to A2>D to resolve that tie

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Black End

“Let’s check if Zhang is really dead before we have any showdowns,” you offer.

“You must be delusional if you think I’m going to buy that excuse to stall. Even if he isn’t, he is in no condition to go anywhere. I will take care of him afterwards… for now, my business is with you.”

It looks like he isn’t listening.

You break into a run, catching Bai Jiutian off-guard with your sudden burst of speed. Keeping your distance from him, you close in on Zhang Manxing’s body, hoping to ensure his death. His disembodied hand is still lying by his side, clutching the small pouch in its pale fingers.

You sense an attack coming towards your back and try to evade, but it is too little, too late; a sudden stinging pain cuts into your calves from behind. You stumble, falling and rolling towards Zhang’s body, ending up almost on top of him. Zhang's body does not budge. The pain from your severed muscles is so intense that you are unable to stay upright, try as you might.

It was not a good decision to shift your attention away from Bai Jiutian in a fight.

You crawl around to face him immediately; panic trying its best to batter down your mental fortitude. Bai Jiutian sheathes his sword, his face is carefully impassive. He betrays no signs of emotion as he approaches you. It looks like you are at his mercy. You return your full attention towards him… perhaps if he gets close enough you might have a chance to take him by surprise. Your focus narrows until he is all that you can see. You would only have one shot – if this failed, he would be utterly victorious. Perhaps... perhaps you could use the pouch of powder. Your hand reaches out slowly.

One step later, Bai's eyes widen.

It was, in fact, a terrible decision to shift your attention away from Bai Jiutian and get that close to Zhang Manxing’s body especially when you suspected that he was not yet dead.

A hoarse scream pierces your ear as Zhang Manxing hooks one handless arm over your throat, the severe pain from your legs slowing your reflexes. His wound has stopped bleeding; red frost coats the stump. You feel cold steel push its way into your back without hesitation, scraping your spine. A dagger of some sort. Zhang gives it a cruel twist. You let out a choking gasp, the hurt almost too much to bear.

“How do you like that?” he whispers slowly, crazily, gleefully... hatefully. “You bastard. You ball-less, cock-less bastard. I win. I win... take my hand... I'll take your life!”

A sudden, intense pulse of heat ripples from the wound, making its way throughout your body. With it, it brings needs. Desires. Arousal. The bastard has coated the blade with the same drug… no, it is more potent. A lot more potent. Every single muscle in your body clenches as you topple over; your aching eyes watching Bai run towards you.

Amidst the haze of yearning, you hear shouts, and sounds of a brief fight. You roll over on your back, staring up at the sky. Your breathing becomes laboured, heavy. Your mind is about to run away in protest from the intense feedback your senses are receiving.

A shadow falls over you: Bai Jiutian.

He looks down at you and shakes his head. “What a disappointment.”

He can still save you. If. If only... You try to open your mouth, but the only sound you can make is a hungry panting. Your consciousness is fading, your back arching as the aphrodisiac does its work. Your limbs refuse to heed your commands, curled up tight as they are. It will not take long before your mind is irrevocably maddened by the drug.

A frown of disgust crosses his face. “No matter. It’s too late for you now. You have companions. I will just have to approach them instead. Farewell, Man Tiger Pig,” he murmurs. He leaves without a further word, vanishing from your sight.

Perhaps it is a mercy that your heart stops soon after the madness takes you.

---END---

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Congratulations we just lost.
    Thanks Baltika.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Heh.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    :lol:

So are we still doing bad ends or is this it?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. asxetos Augur

asxetos

Rolling back to A2 now will be too harsh on Jing since treave will take his rollback toll. Congrats guys.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    A1 was second after D actually.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    There're plenty of things I can say about the choice right now, things about priorities and so on, but I just have to ask...

Did you guys actually hate Zhang Manxing that much? :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    yeah, really dun get why so many people were interested in him in the middle of this shit

good story treave, was fun

^ Top  
  21. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Well I had D as a conditional not because I cared about Zhang Manxing one way or the other, but because I wanted to use the lust powder on BJ.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Even if you were after the powder from the start, he wouldn't have given you any openings to get it so it'd have ended the same way. It's not like I didn't outright tell you guys distraction was risky, or showed that he was being extremely focused on you at the moment, so... oh well.

Chalk it up to bad luck I suppose. Or perhaps I didn't depict Bai Jiutian's skill well enough to convey the 'don't take your eyes off of him' message. :M

^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    He tried to date-rape our wymyns man. That shit is unconscionable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Codex gonna codex. :bravo:

Eminent LP treave! Moving on to the Cthulu-themed CYOA next?

^ Top  
  25. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    No rollback. That'd be weak. The Hivemind was stupid enough not to focus on what was important, and now the LP is over.

All is as it should be.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)