Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Akkudakku

Arbiter
If B wins can we still use WQ in the fight? Better safe then sorry guys!

Absinthe

Arcane
Yifang could be useful, she has the skills, but I am concerned that she does not have the will to kill if necessary. I would not want to take someone that will hesitate into a potential fight to the death with two skilled opponents. I would prefer if everyone (on both sides) walks away from this but if we have to kill them I want someone around who can and will do it.
I think that makes Yifang unusually well-suited in this case because the two we are facing do not really have the will to kill us either. Sure they will try to do so, but they do seem rather reluctant about it. In that sense, partnering with Yifang could even help us establish a rapport with them. And she definitely has the skills and techniques for a sword fight (Guihe Formation+Qingcheng Stab+Jing-style Sword+Qingzi Sword).

Besides, I have my doubts about managing to kill these two right now, no matter what combination we bring.

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
I think that makes Yifang unusually well-suited in this case because the two we are facing do not really have the will to kill us either.

See I read it as they do not have the desire to kill us. They certainly intend to though.

They seem like nice, upstanding pugilists and they are probably being forced into this but I truly doubt they will hesitate for even a second when it comes to killing us or our friends.

I don't want to throw Yifang into that because I am not certain how she will respond.

She has probably come a long way from this:

“I suppose… Yifang is bad in a real fight, but she is really good in sparring when she is less nervous,” says Cao’er after deliberating for a while. “She told me this is the first time she participated in the tournament. She never dared to before.”

and this:

Her gaze and stance are steady, a far cry from how she usually is, though she appears to be mumbling sutras continuously.

Since she did fine in the barfight, but I do not know if she is ready for what amounts to a death match.

Absinthe

Arcane
I want to see if we can take them but am not confident enough to do it without the WQS.
I'm not confident we could beat them with the Wuxiang Qiankun. These are still two sword masters with legendary swords who specialize in working together against one Jing.

See I read it as they do not have the desire to kill us. They certainly intend to though.
I don't think Yifang will fight without intending to defeat them either, and a sword is a sword. That's good enough for now, considering how good Yifang is.

They seem like nice, upstanding pugilists and they are probably being forced into this but I truly doubt they will hesitate for even a second when it comes to killing us or our friends.
We have a shitty reputation though. Someone like Yifang would probably weaken their resolve to kill.

Since she did fine in the barfight, but I do not know if she is ready for what amounts to a death match.
Well, I think this is the best stage for Yifang to showcase her skills and develop her resolve. And Yifang should be good enough to face them. Given the bar fight, I think she's got enough nerve to face a serious match right now, and she has the skill to boot. Don't forget Yifang and Song Lingshu also worked with the constables to subdue criminals in Chang'an a while ago. Yifang is used to fighting against people with killing intent now.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Given the bar fight, I think she's got enough nerve to face a serious match right now, and she has the skill to boot.

I think we might have to agree to disagree here. I really do not think she has it in her to kill/try to kill these two and I would rather not find out right now. If we have to endanger one of our followers I would rather pick someone I am certain will do whatever it takes to win.

Absinthe

Arcane
She has FOUR sword techniques and MASTER-LEVEL skill and you're worried she's NOT GOOD ENOUGH? Are you serious?

Heck, treave, what rank is her Qingcheng Stab technique?

Kipeci

Arcane
He's saying he's worried that Yifang won't do whatever it take to win including and up to killing them, not that she's not skilled. There's a difference.

Absinthe

Arcane
Killing them is a preposterous notion unless you vote C anyway. Right now what matters is skills. If she's good enough, she's good enough. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I noticed that we can copy skills from folks with the same neigong as Xu Jing now, does anyone recall if that was the case before?

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
She has FOUR sword techniques and MASTER-LEVEL skill and you're worried she's NOT GOOD ENOUGH? Are you serious?

It is not her skills that concern me. It is what she is willing to do with them.

When we first encountered her she was useless in a serious fight.

It has been a couple years. We have seen her fight in a nonlethal barfight against opponents weaker than her. We have read about her aiding the constables in apprehending criminals but again she was not fighting to kill and her opponents would be weaker than her.

In this case we will be up against strong opponents that will have no real problem killing her or us. I want someone that will hold absolutely nothing back.

Edit:
Essentially what Kipeci said.

Killing them is a preposterous notion unless you vote C anyway.

We can't know that until we see how the battle plays out. We have never fought them, we have never seen them fight, we have a very poor idea of their approximate strength and abilities. That is all.

Killing them may be a possible and/or desirable outcome based on a number of factors we are unaware of.

Absinthe

Arcane
We know enough to know that
  1. They are sword masters.
  2. They have legendary swords (and are presumably better than the average master).
  3. They specialize in helping each other.
  4. They would sooner back off than fight to the end.
I think holding out for the possibility of killing them is rather far-fetched unless you intend on doing C.

In this case we will be up against strong opponents that will have no real problem killing her or us.
No, it sounds to me that they do have a problem with killing us. Are you going to keep ignoring the many hints we've gotten that they don't actually like the idea?

Esquilax

Arcane
I have my doubts. Even with Wuxiang Qiankun, these are still two sword masters wielding legendary swords against one Jing, and they seem to specialize in working together.

Well, Jing has already used Wuxiang Qiankun against a team formation, and he could mimic the technique better than Manxing's guards could even execute it:

Uh, you beat a four-man formation by replicating its moves, matching it, and then surpassing it with only one man.

Your one-man formation > their four-man formation, even though formations are known to need the full number to achieve its full potential. The technique basically allowed you to pull off the coordinated moves and attacks of four people at once.

Not sure if this logic would apply to a fight against these two, though, considering that they are about a million times tougher than the chumps Manxing had as bodyguards. Then again, the sheer brokenness of Wuxiang Qiankun should allow us to be just as effective as they are together once we mimic the flow of their qi.

As for Yifang, I disagree with Fangshi:

Yifang shakes her head firmly. “You do not need to worry about me. I am no longer the same girl you once knew.”

She's matured and lost a bit of her naivete, so I'm pretty sure that she'll perform when it's crunch time. However, I think this battle needs to be couple vs couple, so Yunzi is the only choice that makes sense for me if we don't do this solo.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Not going for relationship points with Yifang?

Besides, Yifang knows our swordsmanship the best, and we are very familiar with Emei swordsmanship too. So I'm quite sure we would partner well with her.

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
No, it sounds to me that they do have a problem with killing us. Are you going to keep ignoring the many hints we've gotten that they don't actually like the idea?

Not ignoring, no. I have said it is quite likely that they do not want to kill us. It is unlikely that we have done anything to them to warrant an attempt by them on our life.

They do however show every intention of killing us. They even go so far as to warn us that they will kill our friends to get to us. These people strike me as very serious about this.

We know that they have had 'troubles' and we know that they think of this fight as only 'business' but we don't really know much more than that.

They are a couple right? Well maybe they went into seclusion because they had a child. Maybe someone stole that child and told them that if they want the child back unharmed they have to kill Jing, that sort of thing. Or maybe they are just being blackmailed with something they can not afford to let the world know about.

If their motivations are along those lines then I would expect them to hold nothing back and we have seen nothing from them that suggests they will retreat if we provide sufficient resistance. Intent may matter as much or more than skills in such a situation.

Esquilax said:
I think that she's matured and lost a bit of her naivete, so I think she'll perform when it's crunch time.

Certainly possible. But from my perspective all we have is her word on that. She is still an untempered blade as far as we know, I would rather she not bend.

I acknowledge she could very well get the job done. People do change but if given the choice I would rather take someone that I am sure will kill over someone that may have reservations into a duel to the death.

However, I think this battle needs to be couple vs couple, so Yunzi is the only choice that makes sense for me if we don't do this solo.

Also this... it will be so romantic... :lol:

Absinthe

Arcane
Not ignoring, no. I have said it is quite likely that they do not want to kill us. It is unlikely that we have done anything to them to warrant an attempt by them on our life.

They do however show every intention of killing us. They even go so far as to warn us that they will kill our friends to get to us. These people strike me as very serious about this.
Reluctance is a thing. They'd do it, but their heart isn't in it.

We know that they have had 'troubles' and we know that they think of this fight as only 'business' but we don't really know much more than that.
They really don't strike me as a mercenary couple.

Certainly possible. But from my perspective all we have is her word on that. She is still an untempered blade as far as we know, I would rather she not bend.
Also the restaurant brawl in Youxia City of all places plus the criminal arrests. That's a far cry from the girl who was scared of using her sword on a few bandits.

Kz3r0

Arcane
B6+Wuxiang Qianku

Guys, don't listen to Absinthe, this is another case of "Bai is a total bro, he wouldn't kill us if we hold back."
Those two want to kill us, no matter how reluctantly.

Absinthe

Arcane
You've quite a way of misconstruing my arguments, Kz3r0, but just for that, I may as well ask treave: What would have happened if we didn't use Wuxiang Qiankun against Bai Jiutian?

GreyViper

Prophet
So Zhang is Like Jason, he just keeps coming back. Btw would be interesting to know what was the beast who had moved in. With our luck he/she will activate his super syan mode and when we meet him next time. he wont be a pushover. So hes to be our nemesis, eh.

D way of the open palm.

Im hazarding a guess that daughter/son is held hostage. But yeah we wont want to kill them, more like redirect their murderous intent.
We want Qilin to talk to them about rethinking their contract.

Lastly I have a sinking feeling times is critical here and we really should be talking to the monk before he reaches the monastery . This fight might just prevent that.

Jester

Arbiter
So Zhang is Like Jason, he just keeps coming back. Btw would be interesting to know what was the beast who had moved in. With our luck he/she will activate his super syan mode and when we meet him next time. he wont be a pushover. So hes to be our nemesis, eh.
Am i only one who thinks that beast is a certain former secret prisoner and father of our master? I can see Zhang not so great training under him to eye of tiger music and ending dead after few days. Course the Lu Bu of this setting can have a trick or two to save him to become our antithesis. Actually it sound quite interesting hope it will become canon.
;)

Baltika9

Arcane
manxing has an ungodly constitution, so if anyone can survive Crazy Yang's training, it's him. Ean help us all.

Kipeci

Arcane
I noticed that we can copy skills from folks with the same neigong as Xu Jing now, does anyone recall if that was the case before?
Same is from 2 lv.
You're right, I hadn't noticed that it'd actually leveled up but I was suspicious about the same neigong thing. Well, that's neat!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom