Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She has FOUR sword techniques and MASTER-LEVEL skill and you're worried she's NOT GOOD ENOUGH? Are you serious?

Heck, treave, what rank is her Qingcheng Stab technique?

Yifang has mastered all of her Emei techniques and is already highly proficient with the Qingzi Sword.

You've quite a way of misconstruing my arguments, Kz3r0, but just for that, I may as well ask treave: What would have happened if we didn't use Wuxiang Qiankun against Bai Jiutian?

The both of you get injured because you get even more aggressive to find an opening, but it ends in Bai's victory after a more intense fight and she has you at swordpoint. Zhang still attempts to run and escapes successfully thanks to his druggy ways. Bai is still hit with it.

Absinthe

Arcane
So she's just rank 8? I thought she might have been higher given that her Qingcheng Stab was already 8 back at the tournament and the update recently described her skill as perfect.

What I'm saying is, I'm still a bit confused.

Absinthe

Arcane
Eh, I think this sword duel was made for Yifang to show off her extensive skills, so I think B3 is best.

Absinthe

Arcane
We also got a huge (+45) Yuhua Hall rep boost. Looks like Zhang Manxing personally earned himself a terrible reputation there on top of the Zhang family's bad rep.

I also notice we got +15 to Youxia City rep for killing Zhang family members. I guess by the end of this plot they're going to love us.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Nope. It's only an option for A.

Wuxiang Qiankun is unnecessary if we pick the right partner for B.

Baltika9

Arcane
I didn't mean it like that, just wondering if we were still going past the Huehueshan Summit since your comment about the prosthetic eye not mattering made me think that the end will come soon.

ScubaV

Prophet
I'm trying to separate the argument from the arguer, and if I do so I think the merits of B3 outweigh those of B6. Yunzi is probably the better overall fighter than Yifang and with less hang-ups, but Yifang is unequivocally the better swordswoman. If Big Wang switched to a sword to fight the Sword Saint, then I think it behooves us act similarly. I'm flopping my original post to B3>A1.

Baltika9

Arcane
I just don't see why we're treating this as a mandatory sword fight. They said they're willing to kill us, so it makes sense to use everything in our arsenal to fight them off. It seems to me that if we wish to impress them, then fighting them alone and not involving innocents would be our best bet (i.e, A1) just like they asked.

ScubaV

Prophet
Well they're going to be using swords, obviously. Unarmed only works if you can maneuver enough to get inside the reach of their swords. As we saw during our fight with BJ, that's a lot easier said than done and the only reason we didn't lose was because of WQS. I don't know if these two are masters, but they're undoubtedly very skilled and wielding legendary swords so, unfortunately, we will likely be forced to fight on their terms much like against BJ. While our personality is much more similar to Yunzi than Yifang, I think our experience with the Castration Squad gives us decent familiarity with Emei's group fighting tactics. I think either would make a solid fighting partner, but Yifang wins at swords hands down.

Sunnmøring

Novice
B3 > A1

Yifang is a better swordfighter than Jing and will make a better partner in a sword-based battle than Yunzi will. Getting stronger with the Wuxian Qiankun skill also looks pretty good, we've gotten some very nice benefits to stats that I thought we were done raising in addition to actually making the skill better, though the only reason I don't have it as a lead vote is that I'm worried about showing this to people probably in the payroll of the Zhang clan experienced enough to probably know what it is. That, and Jing might not be able to beat them even with that skill since they seem pretty good, he can be a little overconfident some of the time.

Also :bro: to treave for these fantastic updates!

Absinthe

Arcane
Plus Yifang has learned our entire self-taught sword style, so she should work well with us.

As for A1, it's still a 1v2. I just don't like those odds.

Last edited:

ChumBucket

Augur
B3

Look beyond the personality and realize this fight calls for a sword fighter, and Yifang is our best Sword fighter.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Current tally:

A1 - 8
A2 - 1
B3 - 9
B4 - 2
B6 - 5
C - 1
D - 1

Post-flop:

A1 - 8
A2 - 1
B3 - 11
B6 - 4
B7 - 1
C - 1
D - 1

Kipeci

Arcane
I can't persuade anyone over to A1, can I? Going up against multiple skilled foes is another unique circumstance in which to utilize the WQS skill, helping us to further train it up so that we can devote everything to the next level of WQS even faster, and that's where the fun will start. I forget whether it was the ability to about instantly pick up the techniques of those with a lesser neigong or else to imitate the skills of one with a higher neigong, but rest assured that either will be incredibly useful. It's nice to fight with a partner and I'm sure it will boost our relationship with the lady in question whoever it is, but I don't see it as overriding the benefit from another chance to improve the WQ skill.

Also, as to concerns about whether or not we'd win against them... it's a fight to the death, several of the girls with us have reason to be very attached to Xu Jing. If things start looking grim for us I certainly don't think that at least the more unorthodox girls wouldn't intervene to help us in this duel, and there's no way these two can stand up to all of them, especially after being severely weakened by Xu Jing.

Absinthe

Arcane
It's a sword duel. Things will be deadly throughout the ordeal. If our girls were to jump in when things look dangerous, we wouldn't even be able to start the 1v2. Once the match is on, death can easily happen faster than our girls will be able to jump in.

These two even specialize in teamwork, so a 1v2 fight is extra bad in this case.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's a sword duel. Things will be deadly throughout the ordeal. If our girls were to jump in when things look dangerous, we wouldn't even be able to start the 1v2. Once the match is on, death can easily happen faster than our girls will be able to jump in.

These two even specialize in teamwork, so a 1v2 fight is extra bad in this case.
We just fought BJ to a standstill, we're not going to die the moment we're alone in a fight, especially when using the WQ skill. Using the WQ skill, their teamwork doesn't matter so much since we can turn their formations and so on right back at them anyway.

Xu Jing is a good enough swordsman that unless he's absurdly outclassed by a foe on an entirely different level (such as the Sword Saint) he's going to be at the very least capable of delaying his demise to the point where the others can see that he's clearly in distress and so can help him. The entire reasoning behind having just the one on one is to keep the girls among Jing safe on their part and to allow Jing some room to have the battle by himself or whatever other circumstances Jing thinks are fitting, and he think he can probably handle them both by himself without bringing in another person.

Absinthe

Arcane
Imagine we're fighting two Bai Jiutians. If those two are working together, it will be like that. Seriously, they've been publicly holding those swords for at least 2 years now. You don't do that without being a major badass.

As for delaying his demise, that's just wishful thinking. You don't kill people with slow attacks in sword fights. You kill them with the shit that gets them before they know what happened or faster than they can defend.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
How about we do B3 and use WQS on Yifang instead of our opponents? That way we get her sword skills, get to practice our WQS in battle and have less of a chance to reveal it to our opponents. I'd flop to B3 if that was the plan. This is supposing you can use it to copy people that aren't directly fighting you.

Kipeci

Arcane
Imagine we're fighting two Bai Jiutians. If those two are working together, it will be like that. Seriously, they've been publicly holding those swords for at least 2 years now. You don't do that without being a major badass.

Jing's heard of their reputation and he's definitely not classing them as two BJs put together or else he definitely wouldn't think he could take them. As a counterpoint to the major badass thing, Jing picked up his legendary sword with about, what, 1 skill in swords? I'm not saying that these guys are terrible but if they were such astounding wonders with the sword then their reputation would have reached Jing as such.

As for delaying his demise, that's just wishful thinking. You don't kill people with slow attacks in sword fights. You kill them with the shit that gets them before they know what happened or faster than they can defend.

That's a nice sentiment and all but you have to remember the genre. Fights tend to last a while provided that folks don't have wildly divergent skill levels or skill sets specifically aiming for such a resolution. Good luck on stabbing massive agility and perception Jing before he knows what's happened, though.

These are famous pugilists here and their qualities in a fight are well known to people in this setting even if not directly to us as we only view snippets of Jing's life. If they were renowned for super-strong neigong beyond even Jing's or else being on par with BJ you would be sure that Jing would know about it and be able to plan accordingly with his 8 intelligence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom