Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You'll learn a few new moves. If you pick 1 or 2 for the first choice, you'll also get your own variation on the Huashan techniques you mimicked from Bai Jiutian. You didn't absorb the technique instantly so you're only following up on the brief impression you had of the techniques + some of Bai's instructions, but you'll get a further two moves for the Yuchang Sword that way.

They might learn some skills from amongst themselves, but they'll each get at least one more move from Jing's repertoire.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I very much doubt there will be 'they' to outstrip us in terms of power. I can't picture manlou sharing the manual with anybody else.

I deter to Esquilax's judgement, then. Another sword technique is essential if we are to hold our own at the conference.

B1 A IV XI

^ Top  
  3. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Which is why we should be learning as much of the WQ as soon as possible so that we can get past the 'only copy moves of folks below your neigong' as quickly as possible before they're riding down our throats. If B1 wins out we'll be learning more techniques anyway and I don't think we're exactly suffering for a lack of them right now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'm still holding out hope for a Girls' Talk flavor update.

I'll vote for the current choices after work.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Our repertoir of sword techniques is pretty much limited to our kenjutsu. The basics of Huashan swordsmanship are not going to help against Wuxing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    No matter how many sword tecniques we try to learn between now and the sword summit, Jing is going to be way below the other participants in sword skill, who are probably Masters with a lifetime of training.
    But swords where never Jing's main strength and just because it is a sword summit it doesnt mean we only have to fight with swords :wink:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    And a handful of Qingcheng techniques are the only thing standing between us and death at his hands in the next update? Come on. We're still advancing in swords and expanding techniques, it's just that we're devoting more to powering up our broken neigong skill. If we can train that up enough to the point where we can copy stuff from people stronger than us we won't exactly have a shortage if he faces us.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The skill has a numerical value attached to it. An eight is an eight (if we get there), regardless of whether you have devoted all your life to it.

Why exaggerate?

I am not talking about the immediate death, but it is a fact that our swordsmanship is lacking. We have to work on it eventually, and there never is going to be enough time to master everything. I just think that it would be fitting to do so before visiting the conference of, you know, swordsmen.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    ^ Top  
  9. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    If you want Jing to be a master swordsman then i believe you are correct to vote for IV, because being a master is about creating your own tecnique and not just learning or even perfecting the tecniques of others.
    But this path is not one i am particularly interested in for Jing.

^ Top  
  10. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    We get WQ to level 3 and we can copy higher neigong levels so lets just commit to it for a while at least. And remember there always are some nice stat boost from our meditation.

^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    As long as troll stat is high, it matters not if the others are just average.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Even though he currently holds more potential as a swordsman in raw skill, thanks to the Sword Song, Jing will always primarily be the unarmed fighter.

I just want him to hold his own in a swordfight, if we ever come across BJ's equals (or betters), who are less interested in cooperation.

Remember, Wang Zhengchong, the man that I guess would be a fine role model for Jing, was an unprecedented talent in the arts of unarmed combad, yet had enough skill to coach the Sword Saint and enough sense to actually use a blade in a fight against him:
    The two styles of fighting complement each other rather well, I'd say.

^ Top  
  13. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    I agree with you Nevill, but i wont vote for Sword Skills when there are Unarmed/Unique/Legendary skills to be learned. If/when we go for a round two training with ZJ then i think that will be the time for a +1 SWORDS among other things.

^ Top  
  14. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    yet we haven't created single unarmed techniques ourself despite having high unarmed skill.:M

I do not understand why codex doesn't want to be blade whirling tornado with miss song techniques or have awesome fire punch or fire sword attack.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    There won't be another round with ZJ, for better or worse. It was said that the story is moving to its conclusion, and it was the last major timeskip.

Not that it matters that much to me, I don't want to go all YUHE FINGER on you. :) I can understrand the need to prioritize the legendary skill as well. This would be the only coincession that I am willing to make on the road to WQS mastery, and only because there is an appropriate event ahead of us.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Shit, as much as I'd love the Digdi Step, showing up to a Great Swords conference without some moves for our own legendary sword would be fucking embarassing.
    B1 B IV X, I think we ought to utilize the knowledge we gained just now to develop WQS. Xuezi will have to wait.

treave, does Armaiti have any awesome Middle Eastern saber techniques on offer?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    I Agree with Esquilax:
    B1 A IV XI

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I don't think I'm going to do a full update at this time, but here are a few of the dialogues from the draft.

---

Lingshu: When you said he was the leader of a cult, my first thought was that it was a cult filled with only women. Somehow that just seems... correct.

Yifang: I agree. I had the same feeling too. Is that what the Fire Cult is like now?

Yunzi: ...I hope not.

---

Yunzi: I am not going to be number three! Stop calling me that!

Cao'er: ...you do not want to be third? Then do you actually want to be second or first? I... I am shocked...

Armaiti: Of course the Holy Maiden can be none other than the first wife. That goes without saying.

Yunzi: T-that's not what I meant!

---

Lingshu: I wonder what Xu Jing is up to with Young Master Bai right now...

Yifang: They must be fighting. I cannot imagine two people with more different personalities. I hope neither of them get hurt.

Qilin: You know what they say, love and hate are two sides of the same coin. Instead of fighting, they could be...

Lingshu: W-w-w-w-w-what do you mean?

Qilin: Ah, you know exactly what I'm talking about, Ms. Song! Don't hide that blush!

Yifang: What are you talking about?

Cao'er: *whisper whisper*

Yifang: Two men... like that!? That's impure! *faints*

Cao'er: That sort of Jing is fine too...

Yunzi: ...*eavesdropping with a red face*

---

Xuezi: You are all just a bunch of noisy bratty girls, aren't you? Giggling over a man like that, and in such a unrefined manner too...

Qilin: It's way past your bedtime, grandmother. Did we wake you?

Xuezi: How rude... show some respect to your elders! I have eaten more salt in my lifetime than you have rice! I have experienced more than you will ever know!

Qilin: So you are experienced, then?

Xuezi: ...what do you mean?

Qilin: You know. That. I was wondering if the 'child' in your title was true to its meaning. (wordplay: The 童 (child) letter in 'child elder' can also mean 童 (virgin))

Xuezi: !!! *hides under blankets*

Qilin: No answer? Oh, have you gone back to sleep, grandma? Good night. We'll try to be quiet. *giggles*

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Bros, I think that going to Wudang is a better idea, since it's a good start for Xuezi to unlock her potential and she has expressed interest in visiting them, and we have our own interests thereas well.

^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    A3
    A
    VI, X

Provisional votes, but I am not so keen to give away WQ - it could become our signature move, the thing that nobody else has that will make us legendary. I do want to make sure that we work together with BJ now she's finally come round.

VI - the superquick sword move - seems like a good technique, we need to make sure we don't just rely on flash tricks but also build up our core fighting skill.

^ Top  
  21. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    But then again it's a known orthodox move, we need some moves that are not known and easy to counter this way.

^ Top  
  22. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    flopping to B 1 B VI VII

I am interested what Xuexi think is so important in Wudang. Hopefully she can get some of her powers back.

^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A3 - We've already damaged our reputation enough thanks to BJ. No way am I going to let the legitimate Orthodox think we're more bloodthirsty than we actually are. Choosing B will be another step towards isolating our Orthodox acquaintances. Unless you guys want Guo Fu to be disappointed yet again.

Also, I think it's a really bad idea to give BJ our trump card. I can't see us ever becoming more than a temporary ally, we shouldn't give her our best move. We don't want this information disseminated to anyone and we don't want someone who can rival us without the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill having that as well. Especially someone emotionally confused, angry towards us and who has already shown a callous attitude to outright murder.

BJ has her own loyalties and her own agenda, and there's been some indication already that they conflict with our goals. 1 is a very bad idea as it will come back to bite us in the long run.

A - Xuxian is a good lead to follow up on. I'm not really opposed to B though.

X
    XI

The faster we can develop our trump skill the better. Maybe this is overkill, but... you know, power. Also, Esquilax, we've already been told that once Wuxiang Qiankun is sufficiently high enough we can mimic those of an equal neigong to ours, and possibly even above that with mastery.

Also, treave, I'm wondering if BJ was always going to be Miss Bai, or was that retconned due to enough super secret points?

^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    The rollback penalty hit BJ by cosmic fluke.

^ Top  
  25. Kashmir Slippers Augur

Kashmir Slippers
    A3B IV VI. As much as I want SWORD +1, it would be easier for us to get a skill up elsewhere than for Bai to get our ace in the hole. Fuck that guy... again. :troll:

For those of you going X XI, is there any way that you could be convinced to try to get another skill instead of going after the same one twice? Bai has shown us that some of our killer skills are getting a little stale, so it would be good to pick up a new trick or two before we become an open book. While I am sure that we all want to get our god skill increased, we shouldn't neglect our other combat capabilities.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)