Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Ahem.
    :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  2. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    No. I'm voting B1 for the first part which will give us 'a new trick or two' and probably level-up the swords in general the moment we solidify with BJ's instruction what we picked up from copying her. It boosts our sword techniques and our broken skill as much as possible, we need a lot of effort to get that skill at its absolute best and this is no time to slouch on it.

That aside, we were losing with our techniques more because BJ is absurdly skilled with the blade, not because 'our moves are stale, we need to pick up random junk from our party members'. We're more highly skilled with the Japanese style due to additional knowledge in sabers backing it up, a few more level 7 equivalent techniques wouldn't have allowed us to overwhelm him without the use of WQ skill.

^ Top  
  3. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    B1 > B3
    A
    IV, XI

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    ^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Why do you guys want to give BJ a cheat skill in exchange for a few of her moves? Do you think she can become a long-term ally? It seems to me she will always be a rival at best, an enemy at worst. Not exactly someone I'd want walking around with our best skill.

Qilin or Cao'er though, I'd teach the skill. But BJ? I just can't see how it really benefits us much. There is too much risk of it being turned on us for my liking.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Jing's personal philosophy has always been "if you work together, go all the way." The more we cooperate with BJ, the more chances that she will actually become a long term ally. If we fuck her over every chance we get, then off course she will ditch and stab us in the back first chance she gets.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. XenomorphII Liturgist

XenomorphII
    B1
    A
    VIII
    XI

^ Top  
  7. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    We should probably be thinking about how to win the Huashan Summit, or go as far as we can in it. Toward that end, here's an outdated list of the people who may exceed our skill and who are neither dead nor disabled.
    Spear of Manliness Tier
    Yang Xue (unlikely to show)

Tier One
    Wang Zhengchong
    Ahura

Unknown Tier of the Legendary Masters

Zhang Manlou
    Xuxian
    Xuezi's Nemesis

Tier Two
    Abbot Fangzhang
    Zhang Jue, Sword Saint (unlikely to show), Qi Liuwu (disarmed), Tulu Huodu, Vairya
    Vahista

Tier Three
    Miecao (unlikely to show), Nie Wuxing, Chi Tianxie, Haurvatat
    Bai Jiutian
    Su Cheng, Liu Ye

Tier Four
    Gao Ying (unlikely to show), Yifang, Hei Brothers
    Murong Yandi, Liu Chanfeng
    Xu Jing, Yunzi, Guo Fu

Allowing for skill increases over the two years since the list was made, the people who might be able to beat us are:

Straight Up Ballin' Tier

Zhang Manlou
    Xuxian
    Xuezi's Nemesis (unknown)

Scary Tier
    Zhang Jue, Bai Jiutian, Sword Saint, Tulu Huodu, Vairya
    Murong Yandi (?), Vahista, Guo Fu (?)

Who Cares Tier
    Nie Wuxing
    Everyone else

Analysis:

I'd put Jing's current skill (with use of WQS) somewhere in high Scary Tier, since he managed to duel BJ to a draw.

We can remove the Fire Cultists from consideration by telling them not to show up. (Though realistically, if we aren't in a place where we can beat Vairya and Vahista by the time of the summit, we've probably lost.)

The legendary skills are the big wildcards, since we either haven't seen their practitioners or haven't seen much of them, and we don't know the full extent of what their skills can do. Zhang Manlou is sounding like the final boss of the CYOA, though.

The most capable opponents who don't currently have legendary skills (as far as we know) and who are likely to show up are Zhang Jue, Bai Jiutian, and Tulu Huodu. In view of that, giving WQS to BJ seems kinda dumb.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    You guys know the rollback penalty is that Bai is pregnant right?

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    For the first choice:

B1

I don't like this choice at all but it works well with what we have done so far.

I don't think 1 or 2 will work with A. She is as likely to give us poor instruction as she is to give us proper instruction already, refusing her request will simply make it more likely that we get screwed here.

I don't like B but I don't see what choice we have really. She will remain behind when we leave, she gets to concoct whatever story suits her and people will believe her. We will probably take the blame for this either way so we might as well play nice. I suppose the other solution would be to blackmail her. If she claims we murdered zhang then we will start telling people she is actually a woman... the problem is why would anyone believe Jing?

If we are going to work together then a further act of good faith here may serve to raise questions in BJ's mind as to whether or not we really are enemies.

My head tells me to go A3 but the whole point of this was to add BJ to harem try and build a working relationship with BJ... may as well see it through to the end and hope she is a better person than we have seen so far... I guess...

A for the second choice.

If we are going to be a wanted murderer and on the top of the zhang clan's hit list we probably want to stay away from Guo Fu and his family. Last thing we need is their kid getting killed or something. Xuxian may need help with Shaolin and we may be able to learn something about the technique he stole. Of course we run the risk of further angering the Orthodox sects by siding with a 'traitor' but I guess we will just have to see.

IV, XI

A sword tech for our legendary sword and some more work on our broken tech seem like good enough choices to me.

B1, A, IV, XI

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    After some reading on the sects I decided to change my vote on where we should go next: B1, B, IV, XI

"Wudang Sect
    The Taoist priests on Mount Wudang have developed techniques based around Taiji. Harmonizing yin and yang, Wudang emphasizes mastery of balance as its initiates learn how to redirect the flow of their opponent’s attacks. Sword and unarmed techniques are the staple of Wudang."

This description of them would suggest that they could possess other techniques that could complement our Wuxiang Qiankun Skill. They also are strong with swords and unarmed; both of are the main interest Xu Jing. They are on the low side of neutral with their opinion of us, but Guo Fu could be an in for us. Baltika9 also mentioned that Xuezi has an intrest in going there. All those factors suggest to me this would be the best route to take.

^ Top  
  11. profreshinal Arcane

profreshinal
    in the first choice if we actually got to trade for the good stuff of BJ it might be worth it but since we'll only get some of the moves we mimicked.

but we couldn't mimick the move BJ was holding back on.

We're trading our super secret trump card for some common Huashan techniques. I just think it's an awfull trade especially because we know BJ has better stuff then what we're trading for, BJ knows what our best technique and also knows she has a better technique she could teach. This is a rather disproportional trade with both parties knowing it is. it isn't an alliance or a partnership when one side is putting all their cards on the table and the other one is putting none on the table.

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    To play devil's advocate, we're probably not capable of learning that super secret move anyway. It's powered by feminine qi by the sounds of it and that's not something we can really take advantage of.

Yeah, no. It doesn't work that way for everyone we come across. One, I doubt BJ is the type to act on sentimentality such as that, and if so, she is much more likely to stay loyal to the Hueshan power players who took her in and educated her, than her trolling rapist by necessity who in guilt palmed her more power.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Baseless speculation about that super secret move:

Tian'er in Tianshan?

We've heard virtually nothing about the Xuanming Jiuyin skill beyond this, which is a little odd. Whoever it was that fucked up Xuezi must have been a formidable opponent. Bai Jiutian is by far the most powerful female martial artist we know of, and her nearest contender is Yunzi. Yunzi's not a member of the orthodox sects.

e: vote for now:
    B3
    A
    X XI -> VIII

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I gotta agree with Nevill on this one. This is a technique that advances very slowly, and advancing to the point where you can copy techniques instantly from those with a lower level of inner strength than you (Level 4, IIRC) is going to take quite a long while. We're about to advance our knowledge of WQS to the next level (which I'm totally on board with) but keep in mind that we've been focusing on this skill heavily thus far, having practiced it once and used it in battle twice, yet only now do we have the chance to fully level it up. If upgrades for other skills and techniques is any indication, it's going to require even more time investment in the future. Point is, it's going to be quite a while before we get to the point where we can memorize techniques right off the bat. I very much doubt that we'll get to that point before the Great Swords Conference, which isn't that far away.

While I see why we want to have an emphasis on such a great skill, we should also put some effort towards developing our Yuchang Sword Style for the big event. On a side note, I don't think WQS would be so useful in that situation; I'm sure that all the Great Swords have techniques specially designed for their particular sword, so trying to ape a technique designed for say, the Saint's Zhanlu Sword with our Yuchang Sword, wouldn't work so well.

I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead here, just saying it wouldn't hurt to spread out a little while maintaining focus on boosting our WQS.

This is pretty convincing. I mean, when you get down to it, a few Huashan tricks that can be adapted to our Yuchang Sword in exchange for a legendary neigong skill is a fucking terrible trade-off. And it's a massive leap of faith to put our trust into Miss Bai like that. If she's on the level, then great, but she could also be taking advantage of the fact that Jing feels guilty about this.

However, while I'm strongly considering a flop on the technique trade, I really do think that it's probably for the best if we take the heat for Zhang Manxing's death. I mean, what's the alternative? Our reputation in the orthodox world is already terrible, and we were already heading towards a collision course with the Zhang family regardless. Besides, I don't see how having Bai Jiutian take the rap for this puts us in a better position either. If she's sincere about working together, then we want her in a position where she's a respectable orthodox pugilist. If she's not, well, it doesn't hurt us much anyways.

Interesting speculation, however, I think that we can rule Miss Bai out as a culprit. The Nine Yin Holy Art and the Nine Yang Divine Skill both come with ridiculous neigong boosts that would have put her inner strength at a level way beyond what we'd be able to mimic. The fact that we were able to mimic most of her arsenal implies that she doesn't have it.

^ Top  
  15. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I view this as exactly the reason why we should throw as much into learning about the skill as possible, though I'll expect that you'll see it differently.

What do you intend to get out of the tournament? We know that barring something happening to the Sword Saint he's going to outclass us by far, and other big figures in the tournament are no slouches and can probably eventually overpower us even if we went full SWORDS from here on out. We can probably influence who gets the victory sword by agreeing to team up with people, but basically I see us as probably only being able to get a practicing opportunity and some relation stuff out of the sword tournament. We can go for that even if we don't pick up some Emei swordplay here.

On the other hand, we know the extreme benefits of a more highly levelled up WQ are astounding. Instantly learning techniques used against oneself, even from higher-level neigong folks for the stronger foes? I mean, yes, it'll sting to not do quite as well for this iteration of the tournament, but I hope you can see beyond that to the overall benefit from WQ skill. It is exactly as you say; it's a technique that advances very slowly and it's going to take a long while to master, so now that we have a chance to take two steps towards greater glory rather than one (and who knows if the Child Elder's way of thinking makes the process more efficient?) I think we should grasp it.

That's precisely what I'm doing, picking up some sword techniques and possibly skill with BJ while overall focusing on the boost of WQS. I just don't see why the Emei style is so vitally important that we can afford to put off a learning experience for the WQS; we're only offered those once every few updates generally, so that's how many we're placing ourself behind for forever.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Heh, nobody expected us to become the Fire Lord, either. 'Practicing opportunity, relation stuff'. You'll never know, maybe this is the main plot. The Ten Great Swords featured in the story since first chapters.

I wouldn't scoff at it - this is something that never happened before, and we don't know who half of the swords belong to. I bet there are surprises and opportunities waiting for us.

^ Top  
  17. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Undoubtedly the event as a whole is important, treave did say that irreversible narrative things would occur around that point, but I'm not clear why it's so very important to be a marginally better swordsman so that the Sword Saint can take an extra half second to carve us up.

^ Top  
  18. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    That's a good point. I'm unclear on the timeline, but it seems like Xuezi didn't dally too much between being de-powered and heading to Youxia. Given the travel time to Tianshan, that means she was probably de-powered sometime toward the end of our training interval. Xuezi indicated that the Yin Skill-wielder had the skill before they visited Tianshan, so they must have learned it before Tianshan. So they've had it for over a year now, maybe more? So they've probably raised their skill to a few levels over our WQS, so maybe 2-4.

On the other hand, why does BJ have golden fox leaves? The simple answer's that she's rich and was until recently the chosen heir of a well-moneyed sect. But maybe she has connections to Tianshan?

e: Whether she's got it or not, she's capable of fighting us to a draw with our use of the skill. Her agi and sword techniques seem to outclass ours. Teaching our skill to her would seem to make her our superior, and while Jing might want us to become best buddies, that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Giving her WQS seems bad.

^ Top  
  19. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    For all we know it will be another group of Frat Bros.

^ Top  
  20. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Well, called it. If we didn't teach Qi Liuwu the Wuying Leipo Kick, they would've got him.

B3 B1
    A
    X, XI

Voting B because the inspector also wants us to draw the heat away from the city while he investigates. Voting 3 because Wuxiang Qiankun is worth more than that as a bargaining chip, and if Bai Jiutian happens to have the Xuanming Jiuyin technique, the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill could hand him 2 legendary techniques because you can't learn both Xiaoming Jiuyang and Xuanming Jiuyin unless you have Wuxiang Qiankun. That's too much of an insane power boost for BJ, so I'm going to go with 3. Also, it doesn't sit right with me that we'd teach BJ techniques we haven't taught our own circle of friends.

Treave, I have a few questions for Bai Jiutian. Can we activate Order mode and ask Bai Jiutian (his composure should be weak right now) if he has Xuanming Jiuyin techniques? (I really want to be sure we can tell how honest his answer is.) Also, lets swap some notes about the Zhang family's pursuit of that manual, given what happened at Tianshan.

Also, I want to inform Bai Jiutian to check for the Zhang Manxing's body and make sure he's dead. He probably fell into a stream when he landed in the gorge and with his special qi techniques he can probably stop his bleeding. Between his endurance and ridiculous luck, it's possible he'll make it.

Aside from that, could we pick up 1-2 ranks of all our 0rank martial skills? With our Wuxiang Qiankun such basic learning should be effortless, right? But at least it could improve our defenses against those weapons a bit.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Your post just gave me a theory. It was implied that BJ got the golden fox leaves from Miss Song, whose sect is extremely wealthy. Whoever found the manual would need to be orthodox, have access to a strong information network to find out where both the Jiuyin manual and the Tianshan Child Immortal were, and have prior dealings with the Xueguizi to arrange the coup and betrayal that ousted Xuezi. One person fits that description to a tee: Mao Sanjiao.

I'm not so sure if it would make her our superior - she can't mimic off us due to our higher inner strength.* Also, this sort of technique takes a lot of practice for a person without our unique qi to learn, she isn't going to get to Level 1 right off the bat, it'll take a while. That being said, this still doesn't change the fact that it is a bad trade that could fuck us over if Miss Bai were so inclined. I guess I'm just willing to extend an olive branch and I'm taking a leap of faith based on the fact that we've both exposed our secrets to one another. And maybe because I want to add Miss Bai to the harem.

* Though of course that doesn't stop her from being able to copycat off those with lower inner strength than her.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Heh, I guess we just have different approaches here. I just think that with the Xuanyuan Sword at stake during the conference, I want to make sure our Yuchang Style is mastered so we can hold our own against the other Great Sword wielders.

Hey, I never said that I wanted to fight against the Sword Saint:

We're both thinking really far ahead, but for now, I'm thinking that there's no better person out there to take the Xuanyuan Sword than the Saint. My impression is that a lot of cliques and temporary alliances will be formed in the battle for it, and I'd prefer to help the Saint here. Individually, he may be the strongest pugilist to hold a Great Sword, but he isn't very savvy at politics and I don't think he can get this on his own. In any case, this is just hypothesizing for the future. So, I guess what I want to get out of the conference is to make sure that the Sword doesn't end up in the wrong hands.

^ Top  
  23. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    B 3 B X XI

^ Top  
  24. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A1 A X XI>IX

Dingdi Step greatly increased defense combined with our qi draining could be a killer combo, but I'll want to increase our learning abilities first. I don't know if there are differences in distance, but notice how we got two skill choices this time, while we got only one when we travelled to Chang'an.

^ Top  
  25. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Since we're very likely going to be taking all the heat from the Zhang family so that Bai Jiutian and Chief Jiang can operate with us as a diversion, I am curious:

What does Miss Bai know about the Zhang Clan that we don't, treave?

Anyways, I've been thinking about the potential merits of going to Wudang:

Past experience with Yunzi has shown us that if we as the voters don't make key people a priority, then our character won't either. This is the second time we've gotten the chance to see the big BRO again, and maybe I'd rather not snub him. It might at least give us a chance to explain why we're being hunted and apologize for letting him down back at Qingcheng - if we don't try and tell our side of the story, someone else will do it for us. While I support taking the responsibility for Zhang Manxing's murder here, I do acknowledge that it will make mending things with him a lot tougher. Then there's also the matter of getting a lead on the Jiuyin manual that Xuezi was looking for as well.

As for Xuxian, giving him a safe escort to Shaolin will be tougher for the same reason. I'm still worried that the Shaolin monks will just swarm him and then cripple his inner strength as punishment.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)