Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't imagine him being any more aggressive than he already is.
Zhang's not aggressive, he's just a very thorough negotiator.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Memetic Zhang Jue bitchslaps the manual into submission. Henceforth the technique is retitled into Zhang Jue's Manly Yang Divine Skill.

As for using Wuxiang Qiankun to minimize the side-effects of Xiaoming Jiuyang, possible.

Tribute

Arbiter
I'll flop back to a firm A since I'm not enamored by either of the other choices, and post in remembrance of a formerly YOLOTIGER Jing that bothered to actually get into a nasty, drag-out brawl every once in a while in between tricks and trolling:

You jump immediately, going after him before he can regain his balance. Drawing your right palm back, you channel all the qi you can muster and smash it down into Guo Fu’s huge body. He slams into the floor, cracking the wood, and tumbles backwards in a noisy flurry of heavy limbs. When he comes to a stop, he has landed just outside the ring area. You drop to your knees as the gong is sounded, watching Guo Fu get to his knees looking extremely battered from your blows. His eyes seem to be shining with respect.
The crowd, which had been watching in tense silence till now, breaks out into a loud roar at your victory. The sound of their exhilaration echoes around the tournament area.

Then, you pass out.
The crowd cheers louder than ever for you when you arrive on stage with your bandaged arm. You give them a wave of acknowledgement, sending them into a frenzy.

Those were the days. :(
Jing can always go MAXIMUM FUCK against the Abbot

should we attain some level of respect among the Shaolin (tricky now, since we've gone about things the faggot way
We solved the labyrinth exactly as it was intended to be solved. Why would that earn us disrespect? If anything it shows that Man Tiger Pig is incapable of a startling amount of control and patience despite his reputation.

Esquilax

Arcane
Jing can always go MAXIMUM FUCK against the Abbot

A qi-supercharged Jing fighting the Abbot is the antithesis of MAXIMUM FUCK. It is MINIMUM FUCK. In fact, it is NO FUCK AT ALL.

As for using Wuxiang Qiankun to minimize the side-effects of Xiaoming Jiuyang, possible.

Did you hear that, people! Shaolin will totes let Xuxian free now that we have the surefire cure to his aggression. As a parting gift, they will gie us +1 SWORDS on top of that!

Rex Feral

Prophet
I'm going A>C because knowing shaolin, we're more likely to gain their respect by fighting fair than winning at any cost using any kind of method. Besides they don't expect us to win, I expect that as long as we prove restraint and level headedness we will gain more reputation with them.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
How do you A voters propose we beat the Abbott after fighting these old dudes? We're going all out, and it seems to imply we're going to be fairly exhausted after this bout with A. You keep talking about how you want Shaolin to respect us, but they aren't going to respect us nearly as much if we lose this challenge.

kazgar

Arcane
How do you A voters propose we beat the Abbott after fighting these old dudes? We're going all out, and it seems to imply we're going to be fairly exhausted after this bout with A. You keep talking about how you want Shaolin to respect us, but they aren't going to respect us nearly as much if we lose this challenge.

I think we're gonna do a in-app purchase or somesuch. $25 to treave's paypal should do it.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I don't think they'll respect us if they think we posses a skill that promotes imbalance or if we accidentaly kill someone using our leech. Besides we've got here in top form, how would it had been if we went alone with the challenge. I think we can pull A off cosidering we're fully rested.

Absinthe

Arcane
GreyViper, if we pick C though we improve our leeching skill.
Qi draining would improve, but not sufficiently to change the description. It'll be reflected in narrative and use.

Heck, with C, we might even be able to use Wuxiang Qiankun on the abbot with our boosted neigong.

Rex Feral, we're not going to accidentally kill anyone with our leech. If that was a risk, it would have been written in the update. Besides:
No neigong boost, as Kayerts figured. Unless you do a permanent drain. You won't be doing that.
If we'd kill someone leeching, we'd be doing a permanent drain.

kazgar, we're improving our Wuxiang Qiankun at every opportunity as is. Odds are we could even use it on the abbot once our neigong is temporarily super-boosted from the leeching. And I think we ought to improve our leeching power too. We don't get nearly as many opportunities for that.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Thanks.

Current tally:
asxetos B
Baltika9 B
Kz3r0 B
Esquilax A
Elfberserker A>C
Smashing Axe C>B
Fangshi B
XenomorphII B
Nevill A
profreshinal B
tropic B
Ifeex B>A
Kashmir Slippers A
Rex Feral C>A
ChumBucket B
ERYFKRAD A
Absinthe C
Akkudakku B>C
Jester C>A
GreyViper B
TOME A
Tigranes C>A
archaen C
Tribute C
ScubaV B
Lambchop19 C>B
Kayerts B
Grimgravy A
Azira B>A
Random Word C
A - 7
B - 14
C - 9

Post-flop:
A - 6
B - 14
C - 10

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We have assumed the trials are all of equal difficulty, since the Arhats were stated to be on the level of the Abbott. What would be the difficulty of the in-between encounter that would make sense?

We know Yunzi have made it through 2 of the trials the MAXIMUM FUCK way, judging by the missing walls, and she has the same endurance that we do. The numbers say it's totes doable. :|

Of course, since we are not nearly as manly as Yunzi and have been acting like a giant wuss for a while, expectations for Jing's performance should be lowered. If that's your trail of thoughts, I completely agree with it.

Absinthe

Arcane
No, Nevill, that only held true for Xuxian's challenge and that was because he wasn't required to truly defeat the abbot. If you look at the damage so far you notice that Yunzi fought harder against the 18 bronze arhats than she did against the 36 armored warriors. And she described the 9 shaolin elders as people she might not even defeat in her full condition. The abbot is going to be even stronger than that, since this time we'll be fighting him to win, not to impress him.

Nevill

Arcane
We described the Arhats as the ones that would be difficult to defeat even if we were fighting to kill. What of it?

The notion that the relative difficulties for Xuxian's challenge and for ours are different is laughable. Especially with the reason being 'because Xuxian didn't need to defeat the Abbott'. He didn't need to defeat the Arhats either - and in fact, he didn't.

It's just reaching for random quotes and assuming things. Again.

The difficulty is supposed to go up with each stage, yes.
Alright. Why did the Abbot referred to himself being on the same level as the Bronze Arhats formation? Did he intend to hold back his strength for the sake of the challenge?

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave just confirmed the difficulty goes up with every stage, Nevill. What the hell are you on about?

He also confirmed that they'd find out we have qi leeching abilities sooner or later with A and B anyhow.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, wasn't there when I posted. Seems that I've been assuming things myself, sorry about that.

I don't quite understand what the drawbacks of C are if we have to explain ourselves no matter how we go about it.

Maybe we are thinking too much about reputation and not enough on what would actually work.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"The difficulty is nearly equal, for I am not as strong as my predecessor, Abbot Fangzhang."

Well, nearly the same. Not exactly the same. By how much, you may ask, so here's a range to work with: above the Bronze Arhats, and below Fangzhang. You'll find out what exactly the difference in ability is if you face him for real.

I don't quite understand what the drawbacks of C are if we have to explain ourselves no matter how we go about it.

There's no confirmation that your qi leeching will be discovered in A and B, I was only citing possibilities.

Absinthe

Arcane
At any rate, I think concealing qi leeching is foolishness anyhow. It's a core part of our combat strategy so they'll find out about it sooner or later. Better that they ask us about it now than that we suffer the rep loss later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom