Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
I thought he only lost his balls.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Does anyone remember did the faction relationship changed right after kiss update?

I noticed this:

Emei Sect: +5 (Neutral)

Wudang Sect: +5 (Neutral)

Shaolin Temple: +30 (Accepted)

Did we manage not to kill abbot?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, they've changed an hour ago. That means the update is on the way.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Edit: but no 'Honorary Shaolin member' title. :(

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
We were at zero with all of the bro factions and beggars since manxing's disappearance, and we gained +10 with Shaolin since then for intervening on Xuxian's behalf. So we went up.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well at least we didn't kill anyone....I think, so it wasn't total disaster.

It's shame about xuxian, but at least we managed to make goodiesh impression to the brosect

Nevill

Arcane
Obviously, we killed Xuezi. Shaolin are just glad the little brat is gone.

Why are you so negative, people?

Nevill

Arcane
We could have gained +50 points if we properly minmaxed this instead of doing stupid stuff like writing love confessions and teaming up! :mad::mad::mad:

Tribute

Arbiter
I will point out that we didn't get the Lord of the Fire Temple title either until someone asked treave about it, at least if I'm remembering correctly.

Baltika9

Arcane
If we failed the test but got some Yunzi points, then I count it as a success. But I think we lost here, just impressed the Shaolin and other bro sects by not being an asshole.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Gauntlet’s End

You place a hand on Yunzi’s shoulder and close your eyes. She does not shrug it off, seeming to understand your intention. You seek for the movement of qi, feeling its flow through your body and hers – a force that is alive, pulsating and beating – and you match your breathing to hers. Rising. Falling. You can feel Yunzi tremble slightly as she too senses your qi: the process made easier by the infusion you performed earlier. Expertly, you pull the two disparate flows in two different bodies into sync, mirroring her inner strength with yours.

“Hm, is that…?” You hear Abbot Fangci speak, but he makes no move to disturb you. The sound of a heartbeat fills your ears, but you are no longer sure whether it is that of yours or Yunzi’s. Perhaps it makes no difference now.

You open your eyes – it is now complete. Yunzi gives you a glance. Stop wasting time. There is no more need for words between you both. You nod, and begin the fight anew.

Fast as the Abbot is, he still cannot keep up. You move in perfect synchronicity with Yunzi, constantly exchanging positions and launching attacks at a speed that he cannot fully follow. As he is driven back, blocking what he can and evading what he cannot, you can feel that he is gradually increasing the amount of effort he is putting forth. Leaping back, he sends out a flurry of punches that you meet with your own fists. Knuckles slam against knuckles with equal ferocity for a brief second before Yunzi’s continued attack distracts him, forcing the Abbot to break away.

The fight continues, for perhaps what must be hundreds of moves, as Fangci utilizes his overwhelming advantage in experience to make up for his inferiority in reflexes and agility so that neither you or Yunzi manage to strike him cleanly – though he too is unable to land a hit in return. Then, he slips up.

He attempts to kick out at you, but without being asked, Yunzi intercepts his foot with her palm, knocking his leg away. There’s your opening. You slam a fiery fist into the Abbot’s stomach. At first it feels like punching iron, but it gives way after a second, and Fangci flies back, a smoking hole in the front of his robes. Laughing, he rips off the top and stamps on the smouldering cloth, leaving him clad only in his trousers. The monks immediately flee for the stairs. “I would be grateful if you do not begin to aim for my pants, Xu Jing. Still, that is a very troublesome technique you have there. Which of the Shaolin martial arts should I use to counter this?”

Fangci closes his eyes, apparently thinking of a technique to use, but you and Yunzi have no intentions to let him recover. The two of you spring at him, attempting to finish the fight once and for all.

The Abbot’s eyes snaps open, and he claps his palms together in front of his chest, upright, as if praying to the Buddha. A powerful force stops your charge in its tracks – in fact, it flings you backwards, sending you slamming against a wooden pillar. Your concentration breaks – the link you have with Yunzi snaps as your qi dissolves back into chaos. The backlash causes your senses to fall into confusion: this technique is a double-edged sword, it seems. Besides you, Yunzi suffers the same fate, while a large palm print has appeared on the wall behind you, apparently blasted into the wood. At the same time, you vaguely perceive that Fangci is in front of you. He has finally managed to corner you. “You caught me,” you grin.

“So I have. Don’t bite your tongue now.” Two stone-like fists embed themselves in your torso. The force of his punch presses your entire body back up against the pillar, having nowhere else to go… just for a short while. Fangci shouts, exerting his neigong. The pillar shatters. You fly through it, tumbling until you sprawl against the damaged wall, cracking it further. Groaning, you can feel that more than a few of your ribs are in bad shape. Any more fighting would really hurt you.

The Abbot gives you no time to recover. He claps his palms together again. Here it comes. You brace for the impact: this time it is not as jarring as before, but the pressure of his attack blows the wall out behind you, and you along with it. As you tumble in the air, you use your qinggong to right yourself – he’d have known you would do so to avoid the worst of the fall, that sly old bastard. You throw out your arms, sending crimson silk flying to the pointed corners of the pagoda roof. Knots are tied, allowing you to arrest your fall, and ignoring the pain in your sides, you pull yourself back up with all of your strength.

As you return to the floor you were at, you find Yunzi frantically attempting to avoid the Abbot’s attacks. He does not seem to have noticed your return, as you launch yourself through the missing wall and right at him. Catching him off guard, you slash at him with your Shouwang Claws. The Abbot turns at the last moment, twisting in a way so that your fingers only manage to penetrate just under his ribs. He clamps his arm down, trapping yours. With his other hand he raises his fist.

You meet it with a Bloody Diamond Horn, summoning what is left of your strength even as your ribs scream in protest. The two attacks meet, his fist slamming into the palm of your hand. Blood trickles forth as portions of the skin on Fangci’s beefy arm rips from the force of your attack. Your arm almost buckles under the pressure, but you manage to hold out as you dig your fingers into the back of the Abbot’s hand, enclosing his fist. He tries to pull away, but your grip is firm. You grin.

Behind him, Yunzi’s preparations are complete, as she stands in the stance of Xsaora Vairya’s deadly technique.

The strike comes faster than you expect, stronger than you expect. Strong enough, in fact, that despite Abbot Fangci absorbing the bulk of the attack with his body, the both of you smash through yet another wall, breaking through into the open, the world just a huge whirl spinning round and round. You hit a tree on your way down, slowing your fall, though the Abbot is not so lucky as he makes a big hole in the roof of the Shaolin kitchens.

Hearing the panicked shouts of the cooking monks, you leap down, dropping into the kitchen to check on the Abbot. Hopefully he isn’t dead.

You find him lying on the floor, eyes closed and limbs spread-eagled. Without warning, he sits up, letting out a great big sigh. There is a trail of blood from the corner of his mouth: Yunzi’s move had an effect. Dusting himself off, he gets to his feet while brushing off the younger monks’ attempts to help him up, wincing as he does so. “You pass, Xu Jing.”

You have cleared the gauntlet, but you are not entirely satisfied with the outcome for some reason. “I thought you said you were weaker than Fangzhang,” you say. You rather suspect that anyone still moving after taking that sort of attack is on the level of a Great Pugilist.

Fangci chuckles. “But I am. Believe it or not, I am a worse Buddhist than he was, making my understanding of Shaolin techniques shallower than his. He may have had a weakness for food, drink, whoring and gambling, but all that is forgivable in comparison to my personal sins.”

“What could be worse?”

“You are a smart boy. You can figure it out yourself.” Groaning, he stretches his back. “At any rate… this is painful. We should get medical attention. That girl, too. Using such a move twice in a day should be quite stressful on her body.”

And with that, the challenge is over.

There were many questions afterwards. The Abbot and the elders sat down with you for a celebration meal, although it seemed more like an interrogation. The food was pretty bad – bland, though the monks did not seem to mind at all. You did, though.

Of your qi draining ability, they thought that Master Zhang would have taught it to you: he would be the sort to have knowledge of such a skill even if he did not practice it himself. You do not correct their mistake.

Surprisingly, they cared a bit less about Wuxiang Qiankun than you would have thought.

“You are not a disciple of the temple, and we cannot compel you to do anything. I would prefer it if you destroyed the manual, and took its knowledge with you to your grave, but the choice, in the end, is yours,” said the Abbot. “We can only hope that you use it wisely… and that the turmoil over the manuals end soon before there is more bloodshed.”

What they were more concerned over, however, was Yunzi’s identity as the Holy Maiden of the Fire Temple. Ahura’s attack was only two years ago – hardly ancient history – and very fresh in the minds of the orthodox world. The Shaolin monks stated clearly their worry of another attack. Of course, they would not do anything at the moment, but you can feel that they are wary of you.

A. You hide your Lordship from Shaolin Temple. You claim that you are no ally of the fire cultists, that you are neutral, and that you will endeavour to guide Yunzi on the right path, so that she may in turn teach the Fire Temple to co-exist with the pugilistic community. You make no promises beyond that.

B. You reveal that you are the new Lord of the Fire Temple, and that you seek a friendship with Shaolin, whether unofficial or official, on behalf of your organization. You will attempt to broker an alliance, though it probably requires that you promise to conduct Fire Temple business in an upright, honourable manner.

As for the matter of Xuxian, the Abbot has allowed you to give your opinion. You talk to Xuxian for a while – he tells you that he is content if he can live life peacefully after all this excitement. You can tell that he seems to be of two minds about it, however: he is not personally committed to either path yet. After thinking long and hard, you finally decide on an answer.

A. You will bring Xuxian with you on your travels, and guide him best as you can. As a practitioner of Wuxiang Qiankun, you would be able to connect with him better than the Abbot could. You could use a helping hand on your journey, and he is a rather strong martial artist despite his flawed spirit.

B. Xuxian will remain at the temple, but not in confinement. He should be accorded the same rights as any of the other monks. You think it would be better if he spends some time in the peaceful environments of Shaolin Temple, rather than going on another dangerous trip so soon. You can always visit him or seek his help later if you really need it.

Baltika9

Arcane
BB, totally down with the terms of the Alliance. I was planning on turning their rep around in the first place.
treave, now that we won Fangci's respect, can we ask him if he is familiar with our LORD and Master? I have a feeling there's history between them.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Awesome fight scene. Voting BA. We have some reputation now with the Shaolin and it can work for us. Also taking Xuxian along will be benefitial to both of us.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
You have cleared the gauntlet, but you are not entirely satisfied with the outcome for some reason.
treave, what is it that Jing is dissatisfied about?

Sooo many questions. Do you have a rundown/flowchart of the gauntlet? What were the outcomes dependant on? Were there bad choices at all, or did they just result in different endurance requirements, gradually tiring us out (I've got the impression the mannequins could have been done with either option, and so could the Elders)? For example, if we took the earlier challenges the hardest way, we would have finished at a 30% condition and could not oppose the abbott in the final fight. Or was it always winnable the 'fair/hardest' way?

How would we have fared alone?

What would be our choices if we went in the final fight in a supercharged state? Or if we used WQS against the Elders?

What would happen if we let Yunzi lead? If we took the lead ourselves?

How would we go about the challenge if we took another companion? Armaiti? Yifang? Qilin? Lingshu? Cao'er?

Xuezi? :lol:

If you don't mind answering it all, of course. :)

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Fantastic update! I'll be voting BB for this one, it's better to let the guy spend a bit of time to reconcile himself with everyone at Shaolin.

Rex Feral

Prophet
BA

First, I dislike if we'd have to lie to our new Shaolin friends. Relationships should always be founded on trust.

As for taking Xuxian, why not? Sure he might prove useful here at the temple, but I can't turn down the opportunity for another character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom