Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Elfberserker

Liturgist
BB someone needs to replace our scholar bro. Besides will be amusing to try to set him up with rest of our untied harem.

Dude, You just voted Xuxian to stay in temple with 2B.

Absinthe

Arcane
BB someone needs to replace our scholar bro. Besides will be amusing to try to set him up with rest of our untied harem.
Weren't we already putting the moves on Yifang with the duo fight and Song Lingshu after the aphrodisiac? Nothing's definite yet, though.

At any rate, if you want Xuxian to come with us, I think you mean BA.

I think that if left to his own devices he will not have the strength of spirit to prevail. I am hoping that the WQS will be able to help him do what he normally could not.
I don't think it's even about Wuxiang Qiankun balancing his technique. We saved Xuxian from failing at his challenge with advice and support alone.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Im flopping to BA in light of Big Wangs teachings (and to allow xuxian to transfer his knowledge of the legendary skill to us).

Also treave did Yunzi comunicate with Jing in anyway after the gauntlet?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
. Also as soon as we can we should set up a foursome with Qilin, Cao'er and Yunzi and use Wuxiang Qiankun, results would probably turn out interesting.

You know that is the best idea that I have heard that involves practical aplication of Wuxian Qiankun.

Truly such a deed allows Xu Jing earn title of legend in maidens minds once we use WQS in its true destiny.

:bro:

Edit: It seems that tonight I am worse retard with spelling than usual+M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BA.

Xuxian would be wasted at a monastery. He came here to seek judgement for his misdeeds, and that he received. His mission here is done.

The points Elfberserker made are all valid. You do not become a better person through meditation, sitting on a mountain. You become a better person by seeing beautiful and ugly aspects of mankind, by seeing suffering and not being blind and deaf to it, by facing temptation and refusing it (or not refusing it, as the case may be). Fangzhang didn't become the man he was without being through some nasty shit, and neither did Big Wang, Miecao or Fangci by the sound of it. I'd think this is the kind of thing Xuxian needs to better understand and control himself.

With Lingshu and Yifang, he'd feel right at home.

Besides, we need someone we can trust with our women. :)

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
You know that is the best idea that I have heard that involves practical aplication of Wuxian Qiankun.

Truly such a deed allows Xu Jing earn title of legend in maidens minds once we use WQS in its true destiny.

:bro:

Edit: It seems that tonight I am worse retard with spelling than usual+M
+1 this has to be made real. And I think Jing would get this idea by himself :D

GreyViper

Prophet
Besides Jing should try out crazy training methods on Xuxian to train him to be the next Champion of Shaolin.

Baltika9

Arcane
Xuxian would be wasted at a monastery. He came here to seek judgement for his misdeeds, and that he received. His mission here is done.

The points Elfberserker made are all valid. You do not become a better person through meditation, sitting on a mountain. You become a better person by seeing beautiful and ugly aspects of mankind, by seeing suffering and not being blind and deaf to it, by facing temptation and refusing it (or not refusing it, as the case may be). Fangzhang didn't become the man he was without some being through some nasty shit, and neither did Big Wang, Miecao or Fangci by the sound of it. I'd think this is the kind of thing Xuxian needs to better understand and control himself.

With Lingshu and Yifang, he'd feel right at home.
I gotta say that I disagree here. Yes, you can't really experience life by sitting in a monastery, but we're neglecting one huge thing here: Xuxian just came back from a very, very long and wild trip especially for a sheltered bird like him. He jacked the Yang Skill, injured the Abbot, galloped to Tufan and was with us in that tournament, fingerbanged his way out of the city, got rebuked by his Master and made his way back to Shaolin and his Crucible exam that he barely passed. For a guy like him, confused with a questionable moral fiber, I think it's time to just sit down and reflect on all that happened to him in these last few months and strengthen his connection to Shaolin. For a Buddhist, there should be a balance of worldly experience and meditative reflection.
It's not like he has permission to teach us his Jiuyang Skill.

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Xuxian just came back from a very, very long and wild trip especially for a sheltered bird like him. He jacked the Yang Skill, injured the Abbot, galloped to Tufan and was with us in that tournament, fingerbanged his way out of the city, got rebuked by his Master and made his way back to Shaolin and his Crucible exam that he barely passed.
He repented, he learned to control himself better, and he never seriously harmed a living being since (as we've witnessed in Tufan, on the road to Shaolin, and during the trial). It made him from a jealous secretive hack of a novice monk into what he is now.

He already reflected on his poor behavior - he would not have come back to receive his punishment otherwise, and his journey have already made him better, visibly so.

I see the things you've listed only as more points in favor of continuing it.

I don't do it to learn his skill, although it is nice to have one who can use it on your team.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
]I gotta say that I disagree here. Yes, you can't really experience life by sitting in a monastery, but we're neglecting one huge thing here: Xuxian just came back from a very, very long and wild trip especially for a sheltered bird like him. He jacked the Yang Skill, injured the Abbot, galloped to Tufan and was with us in that tournament, fingerbanged his way out of the city, got rebuked by his Master and made his way back to Shaolin and his Crucible exam that he barely passed. For a guy like him, confused with a questionable moral fiber, I think it's time to just sit down and reflect on all that happened to him in these last few months and strengthen his connection to Shaolin. For a Buddhist, there should be a balance of worldly experience and meditative reflection.
It's not like he has permission to teach us his Jiuyang Skill.
Now here you go again over thinking. With Jing and company Im sure he will have other stuff to think over, besides when the main plot kicks in again he will see at first had how devious some people are and that he must fight for greater justice. But before that he needs a lot of training and i recommend when we pass a village we offer him as water carrier and doe of hard labor. It should boost our rep with common folk to.

Baltika9

Arcane
Xuxian just came back from a very, very long and wild trip especially for a sheltered bird like him. He jacked the Yang Skill, injured the Abbot, galloped to Tufan and was with us in that tournament, fingerbanged his way out of the city, got rebuked by his Master and made his way back to Shaolin and his Crucible exam that he barely passed.
He repented, he learned to control himself, and he never harmed a living being since (as we've witnessed in Tufan, on the road to Shaolin, and during the trial). It made him from a jealous secretive hack of a novice monk into what he is now.

He already reflected on his poor behavior - he would not have come back to receive his punishment otherwise, and his journey have already made him better, visibly so.

I see it only as more points in favor of continuing it.
Right, except we're being pursued by Zhang bounty hunters and constantly get into crazy, dangerous, morally ambiguous situations. Plain and simple, I think that we're not the best caretakers for a dude that's liable to go berserk right now. Can we affect a positive change in Xuxian, given enough time and effort? Absolutely, but we can also screw things up royally for him due to the troubles that follow us, or just plain waste his time. And there's also the chance that we can affect a negative change in him, Jing's free-spirited and undisciplined ways aren't suited for everyone, and I think that some old-school physical Shaolin discipline is what Xuxian needs right now to learn how to control his insane inner strength.

Nevill

Arcane
Right, except we're being pursued by Zhang bounty hunters and constantly get into crazy, dangerous, morally ambiguous situations. Plain and simple, I think that we're not the best caretakers for a dude that's liable to go berserk right now.
So does Xuxian. Did you forget they are hunting him as well? It did not prevent the dude from dealing with them mercifully.

Can we affect a positive change in Xuxian, given enough time and effort? Absolutely, but we can also screw things up royally for him due to the troubles that follow us, or just plain waste his time.
Trouble are what shapes people. And I don't think any time spent outside of the monastery walls is wasted.

And there's also the chance that we can affect a negative change in him, Jing's free-spirited and undisciplined ways aren't suited for everyone, and I think that some old-school physical Shaolin discipline is what Xuxian needs right now to learn how to control his insane inner strength.
I don't see Jing dragging the others into his "free-spirited and undisciplined" acts. Yifang and Lingshu certainly don't have a problem with his way of doing things. As for his neigong, we have the best professional in the world since the passing of Big Wang with us, not to mention the skill that serves the very purpose you speak of.

And wasn't the point of our intervention to convince Shaolin that he already controls it? He still passed the trial and showed mercy despite being in emotional turmoil. That was our honest opinion, and we undertook the gauntlet just to have Fangci accept that. I don't get your concern about him getting out of control.

Besides, we've seen what sheltered life leads to with Xuzhan:
Yifang’s match with Xuzhan had ended in a rather anticlimatic way. The young monk had found himself utterly unable to strike a girl, let alone a very beautiful one. He had frozen up in the opening seconds of the fight and found himself sitting outside the ring before he could say anything. You suppose that Abbot Fangzhang does have a point in monks needing to train to fight off temptation instead of avoiding it.
Simply put, Xuxian needs to get out more.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
There are also couple of minor things I would like to mention amids all this conversation about Xuxian state of mind and the legendary technique.

- As shaolin monk, he can cook ( We need more cooks otherwise Xu Jing and Yifang will be overworked at this rate )
- He also has Shaolin techniques. While not as impressive as the legendary technique, but I think they could be interesting addition to our arsenal.
-We do not need to bring to every dangerous situation we encounter. Usually it's we where we dive into dangerous situations rather than danger comes to us.
- Providing Xuxian more techniques allows him to use the legendary technique less than he has to. I think our kick technique and Reikan allows him to defeat his opponents more easily without using maddening super technique of doom.

Edit: Of course I forgot the most important thing.

We need drinking buddy, since FarmerBro seems to be destined to be separated from us

Nevill

Arcane
Wait, Yifang can cook?

Why is Cao'er number two, again? We need to shuffle things a bit.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Things look grim indeed.

Baltika9

Arcane
Right, except we're being pursued by Zhang bounty hunters and constantly get into crazy, dangerous, morally ambiguous situations. Plain and simple, I think that we're not the best caretakers for a dude that's liable to go berserk right now.
So does Xuxian. Did you forget they are hunting him as well? It did not prevent the dude from dealing with them mercifully.
Partly thanks to us, since the zhang Clan is on us like white on rice at this point.
Trouble are what shapes people. And I don't think any time spent outside of the monastery walls is wasted.
But there comes a point where you just gotta sit down and meditate on your troubles, especially in Buddhist tradition. Xuxian is in no danger of becoming a sheltered, risk-averse like Xuxan since he already went out into the world and faced some pretty heavy temptations and challenges and came out ahead. Also, monasteries were established for a reason, as were their ways. Say what you want about them, but meditation and inner reflection is exactly what some people need to grow better.
I don't see Jing dragging the others into his "free-spirited and undisciplined" acts. Yifang and Lingshu certainly don't have a problem with his way of doing things.
I think I'm starting to ramble here, but the key difference here is that we're not trying to guide or "improve" our current companions in any way, whereas we will be trying to do exactly that to Xuxian:
A. You will bring Xuxian with you on your travels, and guide him best as you can.
Guiding him implies being a role model and a mentor.
We just fundamentally disagree on one point: I believe that Shaolin and, more specifically, Fangci will be a better influence on him that will help him grow more than Jing and his YOLOgroup will. Different strokes for different folks, and he seems to me the type that needs stern discipline and hard guidance to keep himself in control instead of our "the Devil may care...because I sure as hell don't!"

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Partly thanks to us, since the zhang Clan is on us like white on rice at this point.But there comes a point where you just gotta sit down and meditate on your troubles, especially in Buddhist tradition. Xuxian is in no danger of becoming a sheltered, risk-averse like Xuxan since he already went out into the world and faced some pretty heavy temptations and challenges and came out ahead. Also, monasteries were established for a reason, as were their ways. Say what you want about them, but meditation and inner reflection is exactly what some people need to grow better.I think I'm starting to ramble here, but the key difference here is that we're not trying to guide or "improve" our current companions in any way, whereas we will be trying to do exactly that to Xuxian:Guiding him implies being a role model and a mentor.
We just fundamentally disagree on one point: I believe that Shaolin and, more specifically, Fangci will be a better influence on him that will help him grow more than Jing and his YOLOgroup will. Different strokes for different folks, and he seems to me the type that needs stern discipline and hard guidance to keep himself in control instead of our "the Devil may care...because I sure as hell don't!"
He can meditate together with Jing on training sesions.
As I see it we forge him into the next Big Wang.
And Jing can gain from it too. Maybe some Buddist philosophy will help him with boosting neigong control skills even further. MonkBRO is the new ScholarBRO.

Baltika9

Arcane
As I see it we forge him into the next Big Wang.
Except Xuxian is a different person with his own personality and quirks apart from Fangzhang and Wang. It's not really what we want, it's what would be best for him and his development. And honestly, I think that making him into a whoring, alcoholic degenerate would be terrible for his self-discipline and control. :lol:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
BTW shouldnt Shaolin accept WQ as the most Buddha like legendary tech? Its all about balance in everything. They seem to be too much shellshocked, over their monks falling because of a different legendary skill, to see it...

Baltika9

Arcane
BTW shouldnt Shaolin accept WQ as the most Buddha like legendary tech? Its all about balance in everything. They seem to be too much shellshocked over their monks falling because of a different legendary skill to see it...
Nah, WQS was a combination of Buddhsit and Taoist philosophies that made the user OP as fuck. I mean, seriously, this skill is fucking broken.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Except Xuxian is a different person with his own personality and quirks apart from Fangzhang and Wang. It's not really what we want, it's what would be best for him and his development. And honestly, I think that making him into a whoring, alcoholic degenerate would be terrible for his self-discipline and control. :lol:
Thats where forging comes into play. You say as if Jing cant be reasonable.

I can accept that we leave him at Shaolin if treave allows us to give him WQ to study upon. Should balance him right up. And then we get back to pick him up :hero:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
But there comes a point where you just gotta sit down and meditate on your troubles, especially in Buddhist tradition. Xuxian is in no danger of becoming a sheltered, risk-averse like Xuxan since he already went out into the world and faced some pretty heavy temptations and challenges and came out ahead. Also, monasteries were established for a reason, as were their ways. Say what you want about them, but meditation and inner reflection is exactly what some people need to grow better.

That's true, but sometimes you just need to hear diffrent approach from very different people to truly come terms with your troubles.

Both are valid ways to overcome your problems. Shaolin way allows him to come at peace in his own pace with very familiar way he is used and is good for strengthening his discpline.
However I believe that outside world can offer diffrent ideas and takes on his moral problems.
Xuxian is no Longer a child that needs hand holding. Bit troubled young man, but no longer a child. I believe he can come terms with his problems once he gets more confidence for his moral fibre, that real life can offer to him.
Besides who know how helpful advices from our group to him can become better person or how he can help our group to become less YOLOOOOOOO.

Guiding him implies being a role model and a mentor.

I think at best Xuxian would consider us more like more experienced comrade rather than role model or mentor.

We also have to take account that Shaolin way failed once in his case and he fixed his problems by living in real world. The biggest problem I think is that Xuxian feels he is not good enough. He has partially fixed that, but now has super strict monks watching him and correcting, correcting and yet more correcting him since he has legendary doom technique. I think he might just feel too much pressure in Shaolin hands

With us he can talk about things on equal level and not to mention that Xu Jing and Ladies can offer some advises, which he can't simply learn from the monastery.
Xuxian has learned the value of discpline and responsibility. He just needs freedom and experience let it to blossom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom