Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    Sounds downright Orwellian.
    "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    A.

No Gods. No Masters. It's for humanity itself to win and persevere.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    Epilogue

"Did that all really happen?" asked the boy.

"Yes, but some of the details have been lost in time." The old man answers. The winds are cold tonight, and he is feeling every bit of it in his aged bones. "It all happened so very long ago."

"When can I go to the stars?" The boy is hopeful.

"One day, my sweet."

"What will be there?

"Anything you can imagine. Our galaxy has billions of stars... minus the ones destroyed by the black holes... and the FTL cannons... uh... anyway, each of those stars could have many worlds. Every world could be home to a different form of life. And every life is a special story of its own. Though its usually just tentacles. Tentacles everywhere. Every planet." The old man shivers.

"Tell me another story about the Shepherd."

"It's getting late, but, okay. One more story. This is a tale about how the Shepherd led his sheep into a temple to fight the tentacles..."

---THANK YOU FOR PLAYING MASS CONSEQUENCES EPIC DLC---

And it's a wrap!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    This is the worst possible ending, I take it?
    :troll:

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    I killed off Naram too quickly, a decision I sorely regret to this day. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Infinitron
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Wait, so voting is over?

That said, I suppose it must be A...

^ Top  
  7. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Infinitron
    A for now - Though how does Senya plan to remove *himself* from the position of observer?

edit: Also, thanks to our jaunt to the library, I'm not sure this threat exists. I think the corporation was just messing with reality and trying to find a way to make a god under their control so that they could control the multiverse.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    I'll probably do the last epilogue tomorrow, so voting's open till then.

^ Top  
  9. TOME Cuckmaster General

Infinitron
    And to make this clear to me. So there was a universe where the masters lived. They made IAE to replace the previous Observer and to preserve them. IAE created a little timeless bubble just big enough to contain masters' solar system. If there was a threat to the masters, it was left outside this bubble. Then the masters made a little bubble inside their little bubble and made Senya's and Ean's universe inside it. And now Senya wants to burst that first bubble (option A) or to make a new bubble inside that first bubble (B).

Oh how I miss the simpler days when there was only competing immortals and gieloths.

B.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    Uh, no.

Let's recap. I'll put it in the most straightforward way. Here's what you know, which may or may not be the whole truth.

Observer dictates reality. All of reality. No exceptions, except maybe if you're a certain D.C.

Observer created by Masters' civilization to impose a certain reality where a vague threat no longer exists.

In the process, it traps the solar system inside itself in a pocket dimension. The actual body of the Observer is at the center of the multiverse, as depicted multiple times throughout the LP.

In A you destroy the man-made Observer system and let the chips fall where they may.

In B you modify the system so that it no longer uses a sentient Observer. Reality will observe itself.

^ Top  
  11. Jester Arbiter

Infinitron
    I believe that B is better solution for this but i vote A. Why?
    This CYOA gave me lots of fun and would prefer Rei alive (and so would Senya), but C&C i guess... although I wonder what would be best ending. I think that listening to hero wish is best way to end this story, after all "All good things come to an end". Thank you for great story Treave i am waiting for epilogue.

^ Top  
  12. Kayerts Arcane

Infinitron
    You bros do remember the Unseen, right? And you remember that the reason that they're abominations is that they're unobserved? Removing the observer would make everyone unobserved. What do you suppose would happen then?

Given that there are some large and alarming variables that we still know little about (the Unseen, the destruction of the spheres), I'd say that there's at least a 20% chance of Ghost Singularity with choice A.

0.8 * Value(StabbingUsInTheBack(Ean, Sek, Shulgi) + Sheldon and his boyz) < 0.2 * Value(everything else in the multiverse)

Sorry, bros! Voting B.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    Unobserved are a flaw of the Observer. Removing the observer completely removes the problem.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Storyfag Arcane

Infinitron
    I'd like option C - willingly submit - to be availible. But oh well...

^ Top  
  15. ScubaV Prophet

Infinitron
  16. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    You don't get to go a couple of chapters having the character's driving force being about no gods no masters and then do an about face at the end, completely invalidating what came before. :lol:

Or perhaps someone should have remembered no gods no masters doesn't mean none of those except for the ones I approve of. I'm not sure what you guys had in mind when you picked that one, but if I recall correctly the 'repentant do gooder' choice wasn't that popular. Even so, the sacrifice yourself option was still possible until the part where you repeatedly tried for a quick fix to the war and succeeded in finding a shortcut, missing out on interaction flags between Senya and Ean that could have changed his mind.

At any rate, Ean and Sekh always planned to devour Senya from the start so that they could ascend and fix things. They aren't super good guys. Both of them have done questionably gray things for a good cause. If you guys built a character that wasn't going to roll over for them, its not entirely my fault. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    Nah, all is as it should be. I had wanted to guide Ean to this decision, eventually, but then we had a chain of mega-derps and ended up playing Senya.
    I'll admit that I hated the original at the beginning, but the "sardonic smartass" persona suits me much better. I'm actually kinda-sorta glad it turned out this way, although becoming Emprah of Man and laying down the smacketh would be awesome; as would an Ean-Shulgi-Sekh bro/sishood. And I did miss the Heroic Epic feel of Ean's story, more's the pity we didn't have Naram-Master's monsters up and about earlier in the story.

Meh, details. It was an awesome ride, this LP.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Kayerts Arcane

Infinitron

Maybe I missed a passage where this was clarified, but I was under the impression that Iae was considered flawed because it didn't solve the problem of the Unseen's existence. Whether it caused said existence, or whether their existence was a consequence of some other problem entirely, seems unclear. I could imagine a scenario in which, with nothing maintaining the records of Akasha for the new universe, everything slowly degenerates.

Looks like A's going to win in a landslide, though, so I hope you're right.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    It was mentioned.
    So, yeah, Senya will solve the problem with A. Pity Kyrie won't make it, though, since I see absolutely no way he'll be able to face down Ean, Shulgi, Sekblade and the Masters. Plus, all the assembled Immortals (I can only hope they'll come to our aid, but I doubt it. Ean grows on people).

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    I suggest checking out the update titled Backstory, specifically the part where Senya talks to himself. I think in light of current events some of you might find it interesting.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    This bit?
    Sure, Senya fails to die every single time. He's one tough motherfucker. But these odds, man. And he may have met his match in Ean. This
    means that shit is about to go really down.

Can't wait. :bounce:

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    No, where they talk about the Observer, further down. I figured that it would be rather relevant.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    Well, senya did say he's confident in Creation surviving without an Observer, the only real danger is the approaching apocalypse. Which is iffy by itself.

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012
    It helps to think of reality as a set of rules. Moon goes around the Earth, stars burn out and die, apples fall downwards, so on and so forth. The rule that unobserved data does not exist, or that such data can be corrupted and become white whales, is an idea particular to this reality, thanks to the IAE system and its flaws. Just like how in another reality the rule may be that as long as you chant a specific sequence of words you can draw upon the fabric of magic and shape it into a spell.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Infinitron
    :hmmm:
    Can we make such a rule?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)