Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Question: If Ean had not gone into the rift, could he have fought the Godling when it came out?

This Epic is indeed a Epic in the most correct of senses. It has inspired me a lot with some ideas of what can be done in CYOAs. We had everything from adventure to grand strategy, court intrigue, epic space war and even college drama!

This setting could really make some awesome games.

I really wish we could return to Epic's setting one day. A Third Book would be, indeed, Epic. WHo knows who awaits our world in the future? Only God (and Treave) know.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    ^ Top  
  2. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    There were many bros in this thread, both characters and posters, but there is one bro who out bro'ed even Ean himself: the person who thought up this story and had the wherewithal to see it through to it's conclusion. All hail His Bro-ness, treave, Master of Bros! Seriously though, this has to be literally the most epic CYOA out there, in terms of subject matter, scope, and duration. Someone needs to make this into a trilogy of movies or something.

I enjoyed it all, but I think my favorite part was ancient Mesopotamia. I usually like the beginnings of RPG's the best. It may be a nostalgia-like effect for when times/the game were simpler and possibilities were endless. I also absolutely loved the leveling mechanic of choosing new powers and upgrading old ones, best demonstrated by early Ean and Senya's mech.

As much as I'd like to try a Cthulhu-type mythos, I think trying something a little different mechanic-wise would be fun. So A.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    We'll leave that for a possible sequel. :troll:

Shulgi:
    Feels rather proud of trolling training a good little protege. Like watching a fledgling leave the nest.

Rei:
    pre-slaughter - misses her big brother
    post-slaughter - misses her big brother. She understands why Senya did it and doesn't really hold it against him.

Ean:
    Does not agree with Senya's methods and goals but accepts and respects his convictions.

Sekhenun:
    Likes Senya's cold-blooded pragmatism and ability.

Anna:
    Thinks of him as a hacker rival... up until the point Evil!Senya kills her.

Selkhet:
    Slight admiration for saving her, akin to a duckling imprinting, but besides that has not had enough interaction to really develop a relationship

Erika:
    Still likes Senya. Probably won't be giving up anytime soon.

Masters:
    Scared of him, but some, like Mikey and Rory, find him easy to talk to.

Dio:
    Recognized a similar drive to survive and overcome against all odds within Senya, and was concerned about that. And there's that usual disdain for everyone who's not him.

Terran officers:
    Respects his command and leadership and also jealous of that sweet-ass mech that he pilots.

Adrasteia:
    Was slightly taken with him initially, but not enough time for it to go anywhere.

Adrahasis:
    Scared of him but respects his ability.

Boshen:
    Worshipped the guy.

Imperial officers:
    Fear him as the man who imprisoned their Emperor. Grudging respect.

Yua:
    Utterly loyal, as always.

They retain their undying existence and some of their technology, and are forced to eternally fight to prevent the Dreamer from awakening.

This was mentioned briefly, but they didn't buy it. There was just no point starting a petty rebellion or something over political manipulations when there's already a war to fight.

Shulgi.

Let's save that for a possible sequel. Or prequel.

Actually, the truth is this: mind games. If you think he secretly wants you to kill him by briefly expressing disappointment that you didn't, you might think twice about killing him. Then, in your moment of hesitation, he shanks you. Ladies and gentlemen, Diogenes Camna.

Offspring get no codenames.

The cultists that were with Emiri got gooed.

Yes, the Order survived and continue to promote knowledge and brotherhood.

Pro-tip: anyone Dio calls a friend to his face is likely not a friend.

There is a Cult of the Dragon Warden amongst the late Jheverg's Legion.

League: Troublemaker.
    Empire: Respected villain.
    Terran: Respected leader.

It wasn't publicized except to the military.

She got put in jail and remains there to this day.

Yes, you would have scraped past, though the subsequent choice would be even riskier.

The preparation was done via the virtual network technology. He injured her during a fight and 'infected' her that way. Obviously he threw the fight, not wanting the entire Council to personally come and eradicate him. Technically he is still inside the Sun, at least, the bulk of his nanomachines are, but he managed to find a loophole so that the part of him inside Mere became active.

Not early on, no.

They don't do it until they reach a critical mass, or they feel the need to.

Cunning and arrogant warrior. Or honourable. It's hard to say. Interacting with him would change his personality.

He could have. But a harem route's hard to achieve.

Oh, the butler's already one of the recovered and ready for cockblocking duty.

Hard to say. If I had to pick one, Ean's rift-jumping, sphere-whispering dumbfuckery. Thanks for giving me the chance to write the spheres. :lol: Also that scene where Diogenes and Aodh first confronted each other, in the palace, and almost everyone underestimated Aodh. I also liked doing the initial chapter of Senya's arc, with relationship points and all, and of course writing the Dragon Emperor fight scenes were fun.

The voices were going to be flawed and faulty. Devouring them was a deus ex machina, which developed into the Devourer and its associated concepts in the subsequent chapters. But the voices were always meant to be an agglomeration of former immortals from the beginning.

They continue talking.

No, they don't. Personality of the voice sets depend on which batch they are from.

Well, I suppose you could say that. :lol:

Probably not, but we'll see.

Well, it wouldn't be a troll because the Masters only want one immortal anyway, carrying all the knowledge of his or her civilization.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I steal borrow a lot from other works. :lol:

It's just a matter of saying, hey, this is a cool concept. Now how do I make it work in the setting? And then I drop it in. Of course, having reality-bending as a premise means I'm not too limited in what I can throw in. The resulting mish-mash has been interesting, but it really wouldn't stand up to any hard scrutiny. A lot of the ideas in here are not explored to their full potential, particularly the cyberpunk portion. That was cut short rather early by the decision to drop everything and run off to the temple.

As for the Gray Death, I suppose that is rather the most controversial decision of the LP. It was not a decision I made lightly.

I did consider allowing you guys to play Evil!Senya as he went about trying to kill everyone, but decided against it in the end. The resulting scenario was not made to force penitence. Say you black out, and wake up with a bloody knife in your hand and memories of having stabbed someone to death. Would you feel responsible for it? Would you go about making amends? Would you hunt down the person who made you black out? Try to forget everything?

The disconnect was on purpose, in that sense. Regardless of what your intents were, these are the consequences, and they were truly out of your control. You have the option of not taking responsibility, as someone has already done it for you. You can forget all about it. You can make it your burden to bear. You can allow it to become your driving force for a higher goal. You can turn it into an embrace of insanity, the straw that broke the camel's back. How, then, do you approach the situation?

But in hindsight perhaps I should have been more restrained. It could have been done better. :lol:

Which rift jumping session are we talking about? The last one? If the latter, you'd have to go into the Master's Dimension anyway with the bomb since that's the whole purpose of the war. If the previous session, he might have been able to prevent Naram from summoning the rogue Master. Maybe, depending on your choices.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What happened to Kyrie after she got "assassinated?"

And since the majority of Shulgi's nanites are in the Sun, does that mean there will eventually be two Shulgis? Oh the lulz that may yet be!
    :troll:
    And I always knew he thought of Senya as a mini-me.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    She was kept in a prison, managed to break out, gets into plenty of her own adventures along the way while looking for Senya, teams up with Erika, finds Evil!Senya during his bloodthirsty rampage across the world, and seeing her turn into goo stops Senya long enough for Shulgi to finally subdue him.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What do the other civilizations think of Terra and Terrans, now that all is said and done?
    Respect, hate, scared shitless of the batfuck insane, tentacle loving
    :kwanzania:
    ?

Did Broshen survive? I might have missed it earlier, but olease tell me he did.

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Rightfully fearful of what they might do. Last time they turned Jupiter into a bomb, who knows if you piss them the fuck off they might turn their Sun into one this time around. Basically, even though they're a very minor power in conventional terms, people are afraid of the MAD that might be unleashed, or worse.

The Council had Boshen executed by pulverization. He went bravely, singing praise-filled hymns of the Dragon Warden all the way. Though he may have recovered, in time, universally turning off the nanites ensured that he is well and truly dead now. His place of death is now a martyr's shrine where the Cult gathers to worship the Warden.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A.

Holy shit. GG bros and kudos treave.

One question would have going Full Yua Path changed the Ending eventually.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yes, AI Goddess Yua ushers in a new era of peace and prosperity for the multiverse, though depending on how you treated her, it might not go well for Senya personally. I mean. She can get rather... possessive.

^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Personally I enjoyed the early Ean bits and Diogenes Camna the most. I love Antiquity, I love scheming dicks, and also I think the pacing and lore balance was the best as well. We all had an intuitive grasp of the material, our characters' capabilities, the cast, etc., and there was always a genuine mystery. Inevitably I felt that with the introduction of sci-fi elements and as the story became lengthier and more epic, it became a bit harder to keep track of everything in parts of the Senya saga, even though my day job is basically to read hundreds of pages of stuff a day. I do like how it all got tied off expertly in the climax.

The Tjaru dilemma, Diogenes' scheming and Ean's tree-death will live long in memory.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    [​IMG]
    Curse the Council! I hope the Empire skullfucks their souls!

By the way, how are the relations between the Empire's remnants and Terra? I'd think the Proud Warrior Race would be rather friendly with them after fighting alongside in such a conflict.

Did Adrahasis finally find love?

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Rather well, I suppose. The Imperial Legions get along with Earth's military well, but their planets and civilians are too remote to have a friendly relationship.

Adrahasis is stuck with Ean's gang for eternity.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    How do his nanites still work, then? Shulgi?

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    All the immortals that were at the final battle were exempted. Because Shulgi and his shenanigans with the machine.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol: Fucking Shulgi, man.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Speaking of "losing is awesome." Will we be able to utterly and completely break the seting in either of these new LPs?

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Break? As in?

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Like what we did between the two parts of this LP: set in motion a chain of events that very significantly affects the setting, in a negative way.
    Coloassal fuck ups, epic fails that affect not only our storyline, but the world around us.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    With A, possible but improbable, if you're referring to events like "Suddenly, man-eating dimensional monsters!" or "Suddenly, nanoplague extinction event!". The setting just doesn't lend itself to that level of disaster. Things like having the worst fucking guy ever become the supreme ruler of the pugilistic world and begin a reign of terror? Yes, that is highly probable, and you might even be The Worst Fucking Guy Ever. Get entangled in Imperial politics and mess up the empire? Yes, also probable. Holy fuck we just sank half of China in an epic duel, causing widespread famine and disease? ...no, the power scale doesn't go up that far, unless I include mythological deities and devils.

With B, not really possible despite the setting, since the actual apocalypse has been given a date at the very start of the LP and you can't get any worse than that. As I mentioned before, there won't be a 'shoot Hitler before he comes to power' or 'help Japan nuke America' chance. You'll be meeting historical people. The story that you'll be creating is a secret history underlying what we historically know, and the public consequences and history changing will only begin to take place starting in the Cold War era, as the deadline approaches and each faction grows more desperate to ensure their victory. This might change early on, however, depending on whether I think I can pull off believable alternate history given the characters.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Chinese deites and demons? Color me intrigued.

^ Top  
  22. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Goddamnit, at this point I realize that I don't really give a fuck which one wins - either way, we're in for a treat.

I enjoyed the Ean parts the best as well. I liked Ean as a character a lot in that he was different from a lot of classically heroic types in that we saw how much to suffer and persevere in order to do the right thing. So for me, Ean's time in the sphere* and his sacrifice to defeat Naram-Master and close the rift were the most compelling parts of the saga. As for Senya, honestly, it took a while for me to warm up to him; the events of Ean's last chapter weren't easy to follow up, so playing a socially retarded teenager didn't exactly measure up to playing an idealistic embodiment of martial virtue or the most ruthless motherfucker ever to live. I know the buildup was necessary, but it certainly took time for me to get adjusted to it. Hands-down my favourite parts here occurred during our war with the Empire.

* Holy shit, I was so fucking pissed off when everyone voted to go into the rift, then to have a chat with those fucking things. The first one was frustrating, but I suppose I could understand the curiosity of what's on the other side and the paranoia that Vajra might do something to screw us over, however the second caused me to rage very hard. Personally, I just figured that if nobody in our whole team thought going in was a good idea, we probably shouldn't do it.

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I don't plan on including the gods and devils, really. Would overcomplicate things, there's already a lot of setting to deal with without them, especially since I wager most of you wouldn't be that familiar with the genre for A. Either I do a specific LP about these immortals, or I leave them out.

At any rate, which one winning only determines which one I do first. The other one will still happen. I need to run through my bag of LP ideas. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave confirmed for BioWare developer.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    With the conclusion of this LP, the circle is now complete. When I left Master Gaider, I was but the learner. Now, I am the Master.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)