Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Only master of CYOA Treave! : D

There is possibility of having Senya back? Great info for me.

Guess all doing this so. My favourite parts are Beginning of conflict part (Anhur was great), Terra reborn to end (more giant mecha and Senya politics), Dio chapters (that backfire on his decisions was so funny, from my perspective only 7, 22, 23 didn't backfire), first Ean kingdom (nice it was i say) and Changing world chapters (improving Empire, scene son of breach!)

From my point of view you said prince wasn't his friend. Did Dio got anyone he considered friend during his life?

Write epic story and you will get lots of stupid questions:

Was there character who was planed to have big impact/recurring through story but died because of us/ was killed early by us?
    Did Senya make some memorial statue, smt like Anhur-Shu and Camma cyclones with words like "to Scarlet lighting and other heroes of IAE wars, you are missed."?
    What was the most interesting/important thing we missed due to our choices?
    What happened to Madman?
    What happened to Shulgi cultist?
    You said that you used other works for ideas what were they?

And child like:
    How much Gield fits in critical mass?
    What was in your opinion our most cunning or/and unexpected choice? (other than sphere diplomacy)
    Did pet sphere survived Armageddon? Were there something similar to it skipped?

Who were you favourite characters?

for me main cast: Senya, Rei, Shulgi, Dio, Marduk.
    secondary characters: Edem tentaclest of them all, soldier pretender Ban, Captain Garland, engineer Tabitha, Raul "Rose"/ Babilon "Babs" (Late again chapter and funeral), awesome butler Butterfield, Velius Camma, Thania, barbarian king Gudersua, lich.
    And lots more. : D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    ^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Was expecting:

Acquaintances and pawns, yes. True friends, no.

Anna, there was meant to be an all out hacking battle with her. Senya Chapter Three was supposed to lead to a proper Chapter Four if concluded properly (as in completing the Cyber Jack plotline) and a rematch with Shulgi in the middle of the city, but it didn't pan out. Also Edem and Naram, if not for that rift jump.

Well, there are memorials, but he didn't make it.

I'd say going on the cult route at the end of Senya chapter one. It was an interesting grimdark path, but I'm not sure you guys could have stomached it. After all, characters like Diogenes and Julius Gallardo were drawing a lot of bile already. :lol:

Died.

Gradually faded away as religion took on less importance.

Uh, not sure about this one.

Cunning... plenty of choices in good contention back in the early days. Unexpected, well, I wouldn't say that anything was that unexpected given that this is the Codex.

Unfortunately I did not find an occasion to work in the pet sphere. I had planned to do it by further exploration of the 'white Earth' in Senya chapter three.

I can't say that I have a single favourite character, since I need to write all of them. But I probably prefer writing characters like Diogenes and Shulgi the Dick, and I think Ean's character is more interesting when he has Sekh or Edem to play off. Senya's character arc wasn't as clear-cut as I wanted it to be, due to the choices made, but all in all I'm satisfied with how he turned out.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    See, since Master Gaider approves of Emotional Engagement, he would have never scolded you for mastering it. So maybe he'd call you out on mastering something he truly despises:

^ Top  
  4. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    More lore pls?

Was there any other major force other than League/Empire/Terra and what happened to them?
    Was there any way to get Ean into world Ares and Mard/Zeus ended up before formation of Empire?
    What Senya think abut Shulgi?
    Shulgi was in wolf form he was borrowing power from some women, what happened to that person and who she was?
    Hmm with Sek info will Inanna flowers be back on Earth?
    Was it possible to get addicted to Ianna flower extract? How would that changed Senya?
    Looking at Qin was there any path we would win with power of Rock J-pop? Would there be a band, if so who was in it?
    Would we chose to go for joke path in Senya first chapter what you planed to do after assassination attempt?
    Why Senya stopped? Did cult Senya had some doubts or did Senya regained partly control then?
    Was Dio whole time the designated main bad guy tm or did he stolen screen time of other villain?
    I am not sure but i asked about remnants of Senya Cult who make into Jar what happened to them? Or did that goo part was about them?
    What happened to personal power armour of Senya?
    How is Senya family?
    If we would chose to bunker up after prosecution after making Ianes president what kind of tech would we get?
    What would were ultimate powers given by nanotechnology?
    Would we chose Creation power at beginning Senya would still be avatar of IAE or would he swap role with Rei? How would it change scene when smart Senya try to save Rei? Would he be able to be accepted as cult chosen?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    Let me get a rough timeline of "recent" events right:

1. During the n-th iteration of the Great Game, Emperor Gilgamesh turns against the Masters, consumes all his subjects becoming the Great Devourer, and survives the universal reboot, making it into the next - now known to be final - iteration of the Great Game.
    2. The Great Devourer fragments into shards, some of which land on life-bearing planets and turn into the first Gieloth. Were there multiple such planets?
    3. Masters discover the Gieloth on at least one planet, become curious, make some experiments, then decide "the Gieloth are weeds" and begin extermination, which results in the Gieloth-Master War.
    4. The Gieloth assume their tree-form and spread from the original planet the Masters met them at. Do they travel to multiple new worlds, or a single one?. How exactly do they travel? Slower than light spores? It'd take AGES.
    5. The Gieloth arrive on Ean's Earth (when, exactly? as in: how many years before Ean's birth?), which turns into a massive battleground against the Masters. Vajra-wielding Masters arrive, but are banished and cut-off from reappearing, while a Varja is left behind on Ean's Earth. Presumably decimated Gieloth are laying low.
    6. Since they're cut-off, the Masters seed their test/control/whtvr worlds (what were all the classifications, and what criteria were they based on?) with Immortals to act as their agents (how did original Great Games proceed, with full Master access and no Gieloth meddling?)
    7. Ean is imprinted with an exactly identical batch of voices as Gilgamesh was. Also, somehow Ean is a variation of Gilgamesh, even though the Masters were certain to never see him again?
    8. Gieloth start recouping their losses and multiplying again.
    9. Parts of the CYOA happen.
    10. Marduk finds the Devouring Artifact, namely another shard of Gilgamesh (why hasn't this shard been discovered earlier and used against the Masters - or was it?) Why hasn't this shard turn into Gieloth? Did Marduk hijack Ean's legacy before finding the Shard, out of his own volition, or did he just started to channel more of Gilgamesh under its influence?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    The best part of this CYOA were Ean's saga, the parts where we got to choose powers and build our kingdom. Especially one choice stuck in mind where we got to choose between building roads or signaling towers and army or spies. Another memorable moment were right in the beginning, at the top of a building in Akkad, when Shulgi approached Sargon and realized Ean was there with him. Kind of shame Shulgi tried to take power that way, it would have been awesome to ally with Shulgi at that point and slowly build a kingdom and conquer whole Terra.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I didn't bother building that much world.

Possible, had you chosen to flee through another portal in the rift.

Massive dick. But appreciates the training, somewhat.

Actually that'd be the Master Stella.

No.

Yes. Badly.

I don't think the LP could have survived such a path. :lol:

Feted as heroes but forced to do publicity work while secretly investigating the cult's actions.

Because true love. Or something.

He was always the major candidate, though I wasn't sure how active he would be. An early draft had the Masters all replaced with male and female Dio clones. Actual clones. They'd manipulate each other and then you find the original, aged Dio behind it all.

If they joined before the goo event, they were either gooed or killed in bombardment.

Kept safely somewhere.

Doing fine, having major roles in government.

Rocket punches. Eye lasers. Combining transforming robots.

Full control over dissembling nanites that travel at the speed of light. Turn everything into goo.

The role wouldn't swap, but the cult's teachings would be retconned into a death cult, and everything else would proceed more or less as it has. Ultimately the result should be rather similar, not exactly the same, though in practice it may have varied wildly depending on the choices taken in reaction to that particular iteration of the cult. A slight variation on Master Gaider's teachings. :troll:

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Only one planet, and only one occurrence of shard becoming Gieloth progenitors ever happened. The rest of the shards didn't qualify. The explanation is in that update. As for why Marduk's shard wasn't discovered earlier, that's how it is.

Spores travel at an appreciable fraction of c, new set of immortals sent out after the war started were imprinted with instructions to hunt and destroy, technically Ean uses the same batch version as the Devourer did, since the transfer was never completed. The Masters had copies.

A control world is generally wherever history is molded to follow the historical Earth, up until the point where it diverges. The Masters can make as many Earths as they want, and previous games had seen scenarios where the entire galaxy was nothing but Earths. The people of that time took it rather badly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Come on throw me a bone, at least evil scientist Senya should have plan involving getting use of AI singer idols.

Think about Codex paranoia against one Shulgi, with 13 Dios we would see him under every rock and probably to unable to open refrigerator or toilet afraid of cunning ambush.

Creation Senya: you are to impulsive and short sighed to be messiah and we prefer necrophilia over orgies. Sound like C&C of game company.
    :troll:

How many voices are there in general and how many of them each immortal getting?
    What happened to Octopus Mafia? The godfather in SPACE?
    I meant cultist from 5.2 5.3 Kaito and rest.
    Did any technology based on IAE like pocket dimensions made into original Earth?

Edit:
    Something like our Earth is Earthier than yours alien scum? There goes nukes. :D

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    On the other hand, it could mean dating one of the Dios. Or all of them.

Hundreds of possible batches, each with dozens to hundreds of voices.

Working together with the government, on the other side of the law.

They're part of the Order of the Jar. Living well.

The facility and other related material were scrubbed.

^ Top  
  11. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Speaking of emotional engagement, did Ean and Sekh's relationship evolve into a romantic one or is it more bro/sis 4 lyfe?

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'll refrain from giving a conclusive answer to that question. You may make of their relationship what you will.

But I'll say that I personally think that if there is love, it would be of the purer sort because of the time they spent as ascended beings. More agape than eros.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Treave another Question how would have our Mech looked like if we chose Drones WAY back when?

Or how would our Sis have evolved if she had the Delete Powahs?

Edit: and I just found out how to brofist things. Treave you got ALOT of fists that need Bro'ing dude. 283 Updates over 14 Months? Take a break Treave stop putting out .666 Story posts every 14 months.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You might have overdid it a bit with the brofisting, bro. :lol:

Drones would have evolved into full-fledged CF armies controlled by you and Yua if you went the drone + AI improvements path.

Rei with Destruction powerset would be a lot more nihilistic and unhinged.

Current tally stands as:
    A - 7
    B - 4

If there aren't any huge changes by tomorrow, I'll post the character creation choices in a new thread, which you will probably want to take some time to consider.

^ Top  
  15. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    And people didn't want AI waifu!

^ Top  
  16. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks it is a pity we didn't see more Ean/Senya interaction? They are such different characters that it could've been very interesting, they're like day and night. I always saw them as Superman/Batman, but we never had the chance to have them become True Bros 4 Life. Also, we played and shaped both.

Hmmm, I've been wondering if a Epic mod on a Paradox game would be possible.
    (ACTIVATING REDEYE MODE):
    The "Changing World" chapter would probably the best to base it on. I'm thinking the game would problably be Crusader Kings 2. Would be the best way to model how the Shinar Empire worked and the character-based nature of the whole game.

Immortals and Gieloth would get special stats to be properly simulated: Stats beyond the normal human, immortality, different fertility There's even a inbuilt Immortal stat already, just need to add stuff like Voices (Active/Innactive). They would also get cool battle bonuses to simulate the fact having a super-duper immortal/gieloth in your army kicks ass.

I'm thinking the game's timeframe would go from 2 A.C to, say, 400 or 500 A.C. Game starts with the Shinari Empire being founded, the Gieloth showing up in China, Skane unifying and the Terasphagos flooding Greece from time to time with killer doomstacks.

Main players are the Shinar Empire (Under Ean, divided into component kingdoms of Egypt and Babylon, early-game decision can allow you to make Greece a kingdom too), Skane (under Shulgi), Hittites, Terasphagos (who would own part of Greece and spawn IMMENSE retinues and their miasma-ridden land has mega-atrittion) Gutians, Xia and Shang in China, all of them sub-divided, CK2-style.

Problem is the map, because it would be interesting to be able to acess China and India so the player can act against the Concordat or ally with them. I heard there's a CK mod with the rest of Asia, but their mod forum is only for registered users.

Also, it would necessary to fill up the rest of the gamemap, like Western and Central Europe, East, West and Northern Africa and the Indian Subcontinent.

Still, would be awesome to play Ean & Crew in a game.

If I only had my decent computer once again...

Makes sense, Sekh always admired Ean's sense of honour. He stood by her when shit was going to pieces. When you can live forever and shapeshift, you probably stop giving a shit about appearance. Also, spending thousands of years in mental communion without any space for deceit must've been some wonderful trust-builder.

Who were the other possible antagonists? The other Ean-sucessors (Madman, Ban, Aodh)? Ean himself (now THAT would've been hilarious!)? Shulgi?

That's even more paranoia-fuel than that multiple Shulgis idea!

Diary of mad Senya:
    Can't sleep, Dios are after me! Can't sleep, Dios are after me and THEY'RE EVERYWHERE AND MORE CUNNING THAN ME AND RUTHLESS AS FUCK
    They know all my weaknesses
    I know none of theirs
    help me
    They're everywhere
    backstabbing
    all the time
    one of them asked my phone number
    she was a cute etruscan lady
    who looked like she could slit a man's neck
    and also other parts, heck!

they wear robes
    they're behind everything
    Shulgi ins't already
    they are behind him too
    they made him
    but didn't know what they were unleashing
    The fools!

I can't go to the shower anymore
    Dios made the floor slippery
    My food is poisoned
    My water is yucky
    My freezer has a land-mine on the door
    My mech wants to kill humans
    Yua is in horror
    She's full of viruses
    Oh doh!

I would ask for confort
    From Kyrie
    or Erika
    Maybe even bro it up with Ean and Shulgi
    Cut up some bodies with Sekh
    or string Gallardo's neck
    But I can't
    They're Dios
    All Dios
    Everywhere
    All the Time
    Watching me

Thirteen of them
    Cursed number
    The betrayer's own

I dreamed Shulgi was everyone too
    I was scared
    He was Azo, Grimrock, Relius, Ioannes
    And whoever else I could remember
    (I think he was my father too, good thing I'm adopted)

But compared to thirteen dios
    Going everywhere, all the time
    Ruling the world in the shadow of God
    I can't even plead for help, he just watches watches
    Like a voyeur
    They backstab each other when they're not playing cards

(now I just need to make a decent rhyme and convert into a song. Anyone volunteers for vocals?)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Re: Ean/Senya interaction - I wasn't the one who asked you guys to split them up for the war. :lol:

I'd considered introducing a new character for antagonist, or turning Rei into an antagonist.

And for the CK2 thing, there wouldn't be a need to bring in Concordiat or Indus seeing as the Shinar Empire spans the entirety of Europe eventually and never made any real headway into Asia. It would probably function much like the Holy Roman Empire.

^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I really pushed for splitting our forces considering the size of our Invasion Fleet - was this a bad idea? My reasoning was that we would rather have a fight at Bainur than at Carneus Beta, so if one force hits Gelmark by surprise, it would draw them to protect one of their important worlds, but of course, hindsight is 20/20. Also, since Tejat A and Gelmark were so close, we could link up relatively quickly should something unforeseen happen.

I had voted to return to Ean after finding out about Vajra Shula instead of going full-Shepard into Carneus Beta on our own, so we probably would have had interactions with him there eventually, once we linked up at Bainur.

^ Top  
  19. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    treave, please elaborate on the Masters' Core Defence Drones. More Varja Shula fortresses?

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, the major issue is that communication between systems isn't in FTL real-time.

You can see the problem that poses. It's not like you can call ahead and go, hey, I'm going to go here instead, so I'll meet you there. Given the time limit you have, you can't really afford to spend weeks dashing between systems to meet up with the other. It can easily end up like a comedy where you keep just missing the others.

Shulgi managed to lead Mere to Ean because he was could predict the most likely locations Ean would be at. Senya could do the same, but again, there is no guarantee: Shulgi got it wrong the first time too. And in such circumstances, one miss could be fatal.

In this scenario splitting up is okay if you commit to remaining split and advance accordingly on Carneus Beta, making do with what you have. Panicking and attempting to rejoin as the first thing you do after encountering unforeseen circumstances? It's not exactly a disastrous move, but it means you lose the momentum you had with the surprise attack on Gelmark, which means strategically (just considering the fleets, none of the special units) it was a waste of time and resources to split up. Also, consider the fact that they want to stop the bomb. This can be used as a lure of sorts to control the enemy's movements and make them predictable, but that if I recall correctly that didn't really show in the strategies that were proposed.

Of course, jumping into Carneus Beta solo was... rather ill-advised.

Defense Drones are Vajra Shula Lite, as you would expect.

^ Top  
  21. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Brazilian first thing when i read that was Skillet "kill me heal me" :lol:

What Shulgi and Ean thought back then?

How much of council of nine survived war?
    Who are former immortals opposing new world order?

Ps
    After thinking about it Senya is probably most awesome person in galaxy now. I mean he is similar to Dio in terms of trickery. Dio was able to trick Shulgi when he was what 40-50 compared to guy who was scheming since empire Dio was born was still non existent is BIG achievement. Senya was able to trick Dio in lifespan of average human. He made great progress from person having problem to run 100 meters and afraid of few flesh monsters to number 2 toughest person in universe behind Dio. :obviously:
    He did fight battle royal against rest of team, but had to band up with them against Dio.
    Hats off! :salute:
    :bravo:

^ Top  
  22. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    If this was *that* complicated, the Age of Sail would have never worked :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You don't coordinate simultaneous island-hopping assaults and fleet engagements across the Pacific in the Age of Sail either. Also, you cannot send or receive communications in slipspace, so you're basically blacking out comms for lengthy periods of time.

I'm not saying it can't work, but... well, it could. If I take away all player choice and have Senya do the thinking. Putting it up to a vote doesn't seem to end well, unless you guys are very, very thoughtful with the voting. Haven't had that happen since Tjaru, so...

Shulgi is amused. Ean is wary and suspicious.

Three of them survived, one of them is cooperative.

At least a dozen of them. No point naming names, they have not been introduced.

^ Top  
  24. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Treave how would Ean have developed if we kept Sek Jar? Or if we controlled all the Vajra Pieces?

^ Top  
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I think after Tjaru we were all a bit anxious in the Labyrinth, then when it all worked out into the Shinar Empire got a bit trigger happy with the Spheres. I thought we did pretty well as Dio, but the Senya age was the true decline in collective decision-making ability. :shame:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)