Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress [LP CYOA] I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Mar 15, 2019.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Don't call it borrowing. Call it repurposing. And it's practically a required skill for people like us in this line of work, although it's less about deft fingers and more about the analytical ability to determine what people are willing to let go instead of confronting a smelly, unwashed, scraggly man.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. baud Savant

baud
    Hey we're already halfway there, since we're already a hobo

^ Top  
  3. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    So we just need to start doing the Murdering

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Hey dude, have you ever ended anyone before? Hell, how good are you in a scrap?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Why do that, when we can manufacture and sell weapons to the schmucks heroes to do the murdering for us. Meanwhile, we will kick back and enjoy a nice steak, J.P. Morgan style.

^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    If he's a hobo, technically he is the scrap.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    What the hell, you with the patrol? Trying to get me to incriminate myself? I'm not so dumb as to answer that question.

So it looks like there's more support for the arena, can't say I wasn't curious about it myself. Reminds me of those cockfighting rings Crusty Chez used to run, except the cock's much bigger and powered by magic, I guess I'll let you guys know when I get there, but first I'm going to need to hitch a ride with a merchant wagon. Probably'll need to take a shower before I do, unfortunately.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Don't forget to shave.

Love, mom.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    The merchant might very well carry laxatives. Get a hold of some. They will come in handy eventually.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Brown wedding never forget.

^ Top  
  11. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    It's a pity we never did go through with that. I wonder what would happen if we were ever to do a second run through legend. Would it turn out better or worse? I suspect both, somehow.

First, beg/scrounge some cash and go to a bathhouse to freshen up so you actually look somewhat presentable. Then go to the arena and use your phone's abilities to get a job as a gambling bookie. Show off your amazing "memorization" and "calculation" savant skills (read: use the fucking phone) to get a job. I feel like working the arena's a much better bet than the adventurer guild to get in touch with actually skilled people, and it spares you the indignity of stupid errands like being asked to kill rats in a basement or something. And as a gambling bookie it shouldn't be hard to learn about the various ways people evaluate the capabilities of others.

Alternatively, start a doom cult preaching that the world is corrupt, foul, and sinful, that the day of reckoning shall soon be upon us, and that the demon king is a divine punishment sent to purge an unjust world of its sin. It's time to embrace our inner hobo street preacher and wear a giant wooden sign saying "THE END IS NIGH" and "Ask me about the upcoming end of the world!"

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Arena City

I’m not sure what good laxatives will do, but I traded for a pack anyway in exchange for patching up the cart on the way. Electronics aren’t the only thing in my bag of skills. When you live in nothing but a cardboard box, you pick up the bare essentials needed. Thankfully, the carts in this world, despite being powered by magic, still operated on the basic principle of the wheel and axle.

The trip was long but uneventful. No bandits stood in our path, no dragon randomly swooped in to attack. I also finished a speech to text engine based on the language samples of the merchant and his crew. Here’s the first test run of the program:

“Hey you. You’re finally awake.”

I opened my eyes and looked around the cart I was riding. A shabby, rather rickety affair, weighed down by the goods that the merchant was ferrying to the arena city of Onmusfall. The city itself could be seen in the distance now, a grey, drab dome dominating its silhouette.

Glancing back at the guard who had spoken to me, I croaked hoarsely, “How much further?” Sleep had left my throat dry, and I croaked not out of any sense of dramatism but from physiological need.

The guard stared at me as if looking at a madman, a gleam of fear in his eyes.

“An hour or so to go. Uh, why are you talking to yourself?” said the guard in a shrill, papery voice.

“My voice is not papery, whatever that means,” he quavered.

“Look, just cut that out.”

The guard made a snort of annoyance at my narration.

“If you want to narrate things, go be a bard.”

Binglebangle banglebingle clop clop clop gzzzzzt.

And there you have it, that is how it works. Still a bit buggy at the moment, but at least it works. Unfortunately it is merely a speech-to-text engine for now. I’ll try hooking it up to the image sensor so that I don’t have to narrate everything I encounter out loud.

The merchant dropped me off at the entrance of the city. I guess this is where I’ll be starting my new life, for now. The first thing I did was to hit up the arena registration counter, since this was why I came here, after all.

As it turns out, I wouldn’t be able to afford to register as an independent entry even if I wanted to. All participants needed to provide a permanent workshop address somewhere in the city, which I don’t have, and needed a license in the operation of one of these magic armors for the arena, which I also don’t have.

Well, I wasn’t really adamant on becoming a robot gladiator anyway. What I want first and foremost is to get my hands on the tech. That’s the fun part, right?

To achieve that, my best bet is to get a job as a mechanic. The workshops in the city mostly belong to a few big gladiator guilds. This is what I found out about them:

Iron Gauntlet. The oldest guild in Onmusfall, whose leader practically founded the city a couple centuries back. They have pedigree and prestige and clout. Which means it’ll probably be hard to accept some random hobo who knows very little about magic armor – although I do know a fair bit about powered suits of the normal, technological variant – walking in and asking for a job.

Demon’s Tongue. The biggest guild in the city, even if it is one of the younger guilds. They own the most affiliated workshops here, and are said to have almost limitless funding. Of course, as with most rich folk, they get badmouthed for their money and are suspected of being wealthy through dubious means. I totally get it. They are big and have standards, but given how big they are, maybe there are a few workshops of theirs which are more lax in their employment criteria.

Divine Hammer. A large guild associated with the church of the land. I haven’t bothered really looking into the religious aspect of this world so I have no idea what they worship. They’re average in size and reputation. It seems that they are willing to hire anyone poor enough, or at least looks poor enough, so I think I might have a good shot.

The Junkyard. A scavenger’s guild that makes its living from cobbling together armors for cheap from the scrapheap, and then renting them out to gladiator wannabes for a fee. Obviously, they are a guild that doesn’t know what the word victory is, even if you pointed it out in a dictionary. They know the word profit very well, though. I should be able to get in just by looking like scrap myself, I think?

Scarlet Queens. A famous female guild, apparently full of pretty women. Boasts of having the reigning arena champion, but they don’t have a lot of workshops around. Hey, maybe they might make an exception for my good hobo looks?

Besides that, there are also quite a number of independent workshops, underdog teams that are of lesser repute. Perhaps I might have an interesting encounter or two if I apply for one of those workshops. It would also help me keep a lower profile. Just in case, you see.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'd go with the Iron Gauntlet. It would be best to get a formal education before we start innovating in their technology. Just keep your nose clean and show up to work on time. Easy, yeah?

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I hope Azira finds a good use for them.

Demon’s Tongue. The have the most widespread network, which means it'd be easier to slip through the cracks, and everyone already half-expects them to be involved in something shady, so you'll fit right in.
    Doesn't a hobo fill the same jack-of-all-trades role the bards usually do?
    Since our smartphone can play music, I bet we qualify for one.

^ Top  
  16. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Truly a tech-savvy, multi-purpose hobo. Were you always a hobo, or did you have a job before?

What a waste of magic.

So, power armored gladiators? Cool.

Onmusfall? Don't you mean "one must fall"?

how did a hobo get this knowledge?

Isekai worlds are never subtle, so these are bad news for sure. OF course, church-related entities are always evil, especially those with Christian themes (worse, finding a holy church in a JApanese setting that IS NOT vaguely Christian is a hard task).

I vote for:

The Junkyard.

We're here not to win, but to learn how to make these beauties ourselves.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The more I think about this situation, the less confident I become in the benefits that the major guilds can provide us. If we start at a big organization, how much and how quickly will they be willing to teach us about making these suits? They are bound to have a rank structure of some sort, as all medieval guilds did, and we will begin as the local equivalent of an apprentice. This means that we will get the most shit jobs and won't be allowed to even look at a manual for a functional suit of armor for quite some time.
    I'm starting to think that going unorthodox and meeting Master Zhang free market may be our best bet to learn how to make these things quickly and well enough.
    Did you hear anything about a gentleman by the name of Clovis walking riding about? Or a great empire that fell recently?

^ Top  
  18. baud Savant

baud
    I also vote for the Junkyard

^ Top  
  19. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    A hobo who knows to spout religious nonsense is something to watch out for.
    I say try your luck with the Divine Hammer.
    Also, those laxatives will be useful shortly. I can feel it in my jellies.

^ Top  
  20. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I recommend Scarlet Queens, personally.

^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    This

^ Top  
  22. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    The Junkyard is where to go. Junkion will rise!

^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    SAY NO MORE.

^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I mean, come on, guys. Junk will always be around. Pretty women disappear the moment you stop following them around, it is well known

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)